• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Tallahassee

Nah, I'm on 7.3.0 Beta 10. Can I upgrade without losing my settings?

I take it upgrading to latest MSI Afterburner is best bit as they'll give me RTSS latest too?
yeah you can
4.6.5 beta 4 gives you latest of both. when you uninstall them, both ask if you want to save your settings. extra tip if you reinstall windows or whatever, just backup "Profiles" folders of Afterburner and RTSS from Program Files

Last edited:

Mind, you my 3080 is the lowly 10gb.
Did more testing (all at native 4k, maxed no fsr)
If I use RT Normal, I need to use textures high 2gb to avoid crashing. If I adjust settings in-game then, it crashes :p
If I use RT High, I can get away with using textures high 3gb if I lower shadows from Max to high.
if I use all at max, 4k native and disable RT - no crashes even though I am waaaaay 4gb over in red.

Of course, native 4k maxed is around 50fps, so both interlacing or FSR1 look better than fsr2. With vram too a bit.

So I would say my settings are 4k max, rt high, shadows high, textures high 3gb, interlacing.
Not sure if all textures high settings look any different. There is a difference in preview images

interlacing indeed looks the bets out of the upscaler options available here.
kinda bummed there's no DLSS.

I was shocked on well it ran on my 5600X 3060, 1440p and maxed out ran at 60fps, i was playing the ps5 version and the pc version at the same time , the Pc version looks better , so i guess the PC version is the way to go.

TonyK

No show me some images with lens distortion and depth of field turned off

Turn the nasty lens shit off.
RE4demo.png
Switched off in both consoles. It continues looking blurrier compared with series X. But anyway, it looks amazing in both platforms.

Series X:
+ Image looks sharper and with less shimmering than PS5 in both, quality and performance modes.
+ RT performace is smoother than in PS5

PS5:
+ CGI video looks better than in Series X, in Xbox looks washed out.
+ Control feels more precise, because the analog deadzone in Xbox is immense (please Capcom, fix this for Xbox!)
+ Haptics are obviously better than regular vibration.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just right now I'm testing the demo in seriesX and PS5, both in performance mode, and I can see the image quality is clearly sharper in Xbox. It's very easy to spot the difference in the dense foliage on the ground at the beginning of the demo. In PS5 looks blurry, in seriesX it simply looks fine, sharp.

Difference in color/bright in next screenshots is because seriesX and PS5 share the HDR captures differently, but in gameplay lighting is the same.

PS5:
OnpjbA6.jpg

SeriesX:
juwPSWg.jpg
Both look Blurry in comparison to the shots I posted from PS5.
I9vTjNi.jpg

Look at the stone flooring in this shot.
The detail and resolution is way above both those you posted.
Don't make me come back here with with foliage!
because it's not happening tonight , ya can wait till tomorrow

Just right now I'm testing the demo in seriesX and PS5, both in performance mode, and I can see the image quality is clearly sharper in Xbox. It's very easy to spot the difference in the dense foliage on the ground at the beginning of the demo. In PS5 looks blurry, in seriesX it simply looks fine, sharp.

Difference in color/bright in next screenshots is because seriesX and PS5 share the HDR captures differently, but in gameplay lighting is the same.

PS5:
OnpjbA6.jpg

SeriesX:
juwPSWg.jpg

Both look great but xbox does look sharper. Have you double checked your settings?

I've pre ordered on xbox but I expect them to look the same with like for like settings tbh.

DavidGzz

Ok, gave it a try on XSX it looks and plays great. Idk what people are talking about. Resolution mode is really smooth too on my CX. It must be well above 40fps because I didn't see a difference in fps compared to performance. I turned up the same camera acceleration setting as I did in PC and feel no difference in responsiveness either.

Goddamnit. I just played the OG RE4 Village section to compare, and I can't go back now. I prefer the Remake, that I think it may have ruined OG RE4 now lol. The game just feels so much tamer compared to the new version.
same! really loved the demo - which surprised me, what with all the negativity up here. played it on ps5, &, for the first time in a while, i'm actually looking forward to a game release...

TonyK

Both look Blurry in comparison to the shots I posted from PS5.
I9vTjNi.jpg

Look at the stone flooring in this shot.
The detail and resolution is way above both those you posted.
Don't make me come back here with with foliage!
because it's not happening tonight , ya can wait till tomorrow
But do you have both consoles? I mean, for sure you can pick a screenshot from PS5 that looks sharp, game looks amazing, but that doesn't invalidate that in same scene it looks less sharper than series X, that's a fact you can check if you have both versions.

However, that's irrelevant. In fact it bothers me way more the difference in accuracy when aiming than the difference in resolution. It's easier to aim in Ps5 than in series X. Analog deadzone in this game for Xbox is HUGE 😪

Madflavor

same! really loved the demo - which surprised me, what with all the negativity up here. played it on ps5, &, for the first time in a while, i'm actually looking forward to a game release...

Most of people's complaints are easily addressed by just playing the game more. People have been playing the shit out of OG RE4 for two decades, there's going to be some people who are going to have a harder time breaking away from the control and feel of that game. But I think for most people once they get used to and good at the Remake, it'll be tough to go back to the original.

TonyK

Both look great but xbox does look sharper. Have you double checked your settings?

I've pre ordered on xbox but I expect them to look the same with like for like settings tbh.
Two hours checking both consoles in all configurations (performance, resolution, RT, post processing on/off, etc). Result: Xbox looks and performs better, PS5 controls better (specially when aiming). I hate to have both consoles and the need to choose 😭

Capcom had different sharpening settings for their antialiasing on different consoles in the past.
in RE3 for example the PS4 Pro version looked sharper but had more shimmering, the Xbox One X version was blurrier but had less shimmering (or was it the other way around?)

so it would not be out of character for Capcom to somehow do the same here again.
people have to realize that it's not necessarily the same people working on the Xbox and the PS versions of games, so a small miscommunication, or just the choice of the individual person who is working on one of the versions, can mean slight differences like these can pop up.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Demo was really great. PS5, performance mode. It seems like they managed to strike a balance between retaining the feel of the old game while simultaneously refining enough for the game to feel fresh. I died the first few times in the main village area, but each time I did better until I finally got the mechanics down (parrying, reloading while running, slashing!). I’m hopeful from these impressions that this is going to be one of the best games of the year.

Two hours checking both consoles in all configurations (performance, resolution, RT, post processing on/off, etc). Result: Xbox looks and performs better, PS5 controls better (specially when aiming). I hate to have both consoles and the need to choose 😭

I saw some video that is showing thew PS5 has much better performance, so I'm just hoping the Xbox version is patched for launch and the demo is an old build.

btw. news flash here...

the Xbox version has a 38% deadzone on the right stick...
yes, you read that right, 38%

the default for most shooters is 5 to 10% btw, and 10% is in the upper range if what's acceptable.

I usually run either 0% or at max 2% if the game gives me the option.

38% is unplayable, just utterly unplayable.

Last edited:

I saw some video that is showing thew PS5 has much better performance, so I'm just hoping the Xbox version is patched for launch and the demo is an old build.

from my short tests playing both versions with my TV's VRR FPS counter on, the Xbox version ran better.

and in some moments it seems like the PS5 version drops below 60fps but the VRR counter on my TV doesn't adjust at all, leading me to believe there's either an issue with VRR on PS5 currently or that the camera interpolation is bugged.

VRR not working correctly or at all wouldn't be new, the latter happen in the RE8 demo on Series X, where VRR didn't work at all, while it did work perfectly in the final game

Last edited:

Hydroxy

Played on PC with entry level specs. Runs ok at locked 30fps. FOV seems a bit low, just enough to make me feel little uncomfortable . I think they should increase it a little bit. I also feel Leon moves a little too slow. I would like him to be a little more agile and responsive rather than tanky for the sake of increasing tension. Also I faced a bug where my game was locked at 720p and wouldn't go above that and stuck in windowed model. Restarting my PC solved the issue.

Played on PC with entry level specs. Runs ok at locked 30fps. FOV seems a bit low, just enough to make me feel little uncomfortable . I think they should increase it a little bit. I also feel Leon moves a little too slow. I would like him to be a little more agile and responsive rather than tanky for the sake of increasing tension. Also I faced a bug where my game was locked at 720p and wouldn't go above that and stuck in windowed model. Restarting my PC solved the issue.

there is an FOV slider in the game.
but I also find the max setting to be a bit narrow at times.

abd I also find the character controls a bit jarring coming from the ultra responsive original RE4.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
from my short tests playing both versions with my TV's VRR FPS counter on, the Xbox version ran better.

and in some moments it seems like the PS5 version drops below 60fps but the VRR counter on my TV doesn't adjust at all, leading me to believe there's either an issue with VRR on PS5 currently or that the camera interpolation is bugged.

VRR not working correctly or at all wouldn't be new, the latter happen in the RE8 demo on Series X, where VRR didn't work at all, while it did work perfectly in the final game

Yeah I noticed a lot more chugging on PS5 especially in resolution mode compared to Xbox, both are hooked to the same display and both support VRR, but it felt like it wasn't working on PS5.

Hopefully DF are able to get a video out the day or, or before, release for the final game in case I need to change my order.

rofif

interlacing indeed looks the bets out of the upscaler options available here.
kinda bummed there's no DLSS.
absolutely.
FSR 1.0 ultra quality gives the same fps boost as interlacing and looks a bit softer but less shimmering. both better than fsr 2.0
about my performance. I enabled dedicated vram in rtss and the game is using 6gb in menu and 9gb with max, high rt, fsr1.0 ultra and high 2gb ram setting. I switch to 3gb and crash so 2gb seems like a perfect setting. No crashes this way unless I touch settings.

Further gameplay observarions vs ps5:
-Xbox series controller on pc is more sluggish / higher deadzone.
-No dualsense haptics or triggers on pc. Just standard vibrations. This is a big ps5 sell for me as the game uses triggers and haptics well.
-camera accelleration is backwards. Lowest is MOST acceleration. Slider to the right, is fastest, most responsive. turn that shit up and xbox controller feels good. Dualsense also benefits from it
-strand hair looks different on ps5 and pc.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
The shimmering in the PS5 version is quite something. Definitely not as bad as Horizon FW but then again there isnt foliage here. I cant believe devs dont pay attention to other games. It took GG 3 months to fix this shit. God knows how long it will take Capcom. Just use FSR2.0 you fools.

Gameplay wise. it feels dated compared to TLOU2 and Days Gone. They throw a billion enemies at you who can now run, throw stuff and completely block your path, and you have no means to dodge or roll out of the way. Crowd control is literally a kick. The same animation that plays every time. It feels like a PS2 game with PS4 graphics.

It's very disappointing that these guys made RE6 with those fancy melee animations and shooting mechanics, and completely ditched it. Yes, the game wasnt great but the combat was.

Still, its not bad or anything. Just feels like RE2 in a village. It's been 4 years. Days Gone, TLOU2 and yes, even Village has moved the genre forward since RE2MAKE.

Further gameplay observarions vs ps5:
-Xbox series controller on pc is more sluggish / higher deadzone.

yes it seems like the Xbox version has the biggest deadzone, the PC's is still big but smaller, and on PS5 it's way smaller than both of the others.

it's kinda mindboggling how anyone at Capcom played this demo on Xbox, tested it, and then said it was ok to release that way. like wtf?

38% deadzone... that's absolutely ridiculous

Last edited:

simpatico

Is the demo over after chainsaw man? Haven't got past him yet, if it ends directly after I'll go ahead and hold off.

Playing on xbox in performance mode and it runs and looks amazing on my lg cx to me.....

...just that deadzone needs sorting for launch....feels like I'm steering a boat.

I'll download the ps5 demo after.

rofif

yes it seems like the Xbox version has the biggest deadzone, the PC's is still big but smaller, and on PS5 it's way smaller than both of the others.

it's kinda mindboggling how anyone at Capcom played this demo on Xbox, tested it, and then said it was ok to release that way. like wtf?

38% deadzone... that's absolutely ridiculous
it's strange for sure.
I can only compare ps5 to pc and it's a strange choice. I am not decided yet which version I will buy.
-It controls a bit better on ps5 and there are dualsense features. but adjusting camera acceleration helps on pc
-it is pixelated on ps5. Like straight up dead space vrs shit. or maybe very heavy fsr 2.0... looks like a postcard on pc 4k, max settings fsr1.0 ultra quality. beutiful.
-strand hair on ps5 looks very blonde. Like it's not adjusting to environment. pc looks way better again.
-ps5 performance is worse in 50s in almost any mode but also it stutters less than pc.

I think pc is winning for me for visuals clarity alone... as long as it won't start crashing in later, more busy levels due to vram

DavidGzz

Playing on xbox in performance mode and it runs and looks amazing on my lg cx to me.....

...just that deadzone needs sorting for launch....feels like I'm steering a boat.

I'll download the ps5 demo after.

Same TV here and resolution mode seems to run at the same framerate(probably cause of the VRR). Try that. It looks and plays amazingly.

Last edited:
Is the demo over after chainsaw man? Haven't got past him yet, if it ends directly after I'll go ahead and hold off.
It’s an imaginary timer once you’re in the village and you walk into a particular house. You just have to survive once you get into the house closest to the church. Which is a 1:1 of what the original was.

Last edited:

Bojji

Switched off in both consoles. It continues looking blurrier compared with series X. But anyway, it looks amazing in both platforms.

Series X:
+ Image looks sharper and with less shimmering than PS5 in both, quality and performance modes.
+ RT performace is smoother than in PS5

PS5:
+ CGI video looks better than in Series X, in Xbox looks washed out.
+ Control feels more precise, because the analog deadzone in Xbox is immense (please Capcom, fix this for Xbox!)
+ Haptics are obviously better than regular vibration.

Yeah Xbox version looks way better, it may have less frames but image quality trafeoff is big this time.

I think they use some piece of shit reconstruction on PS5 and some version of FSR on Xbox or it is just higher res. DF will tell us more.

DavidGzz

I had to put quick turnaround back on the B button cause that's what I am used to. Also, parry on the same button that slashes(RT) makes it super simple. Now, when this comes out, the second weekend of Diablo 4 open beta starts so I may have to put this game on hold until I unlock the wolf pet cosmetic.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was not planning to play the demo but I guess I'm weak, so played it and I'm really digging it. GOD DAMN feels soooooo good to parry in this game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It’s an imaginary timer once you’re in the village and you walk into a particular house. You just have to survive once you get into the house closest to the church. Which is a 1:1 of what the original was.

Just like the original, you can 'speed up' how fast the village fight ends by killing more enemies. The more you kill, the shorter the time gets.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
Yeah Xbox version looks way better, it may have less frames but image quality trafeoff is big this time.

I think they use some piece of shit reconstruction on PS5 and some version of FSR on Xbox or it is just higher res. DF will tell us more.
Enaldebits dude who is banned here said PS5 and XSX both use the same RE8 reconstruction technique and have the same 1870p resolution. I am not buying it. Even if his pixel counts are right, PS5 must be using some other technique. this is really bad.

Played on PC. ran at native 4k 60 fps at mostly high settings and no jaggies or shimmering to speak of. Looks pristine. 3080 too. if the 3080 can do native 4k 60 fps, they shouldve been able to do 1440p 60 fps on the PS5. no idea what happened here and why they went for this trash 1800p cb resolution Horizon FW used. really hope it gets fixed at launch.

Going to try on xss next. wish me luck.

Darsxx82

Capcom had different sharpening settings for their antialiasing on different consoles in the past.
in RE3 for example the PS4 Pro version looked sharper but had more shimmering, the Xbox One X version was blurrier but had less shimmering (or was it the other way around?)

so it would not be out of character for Capcom to somehow do the same here again.
people have to realize that it's not necessarily the same people working on the Xbox and the PS versions of games, so a small miscommunication, or just the choice of the individual person who is working on one of the versions, can mean slight differences like these can pop up.
But in RE4 remake on XSX not only less shimmering, but also sharper in both modes.
I wonder if the reason is that different type of image reconstruction is being used.

It's strange because all the previous games with REngine (RE7,RE8,RE2 and 3 Remake update) in XSX vs PS5 there was no difference in terms of IQ and they were practically the same in fps or with slightly better performance in XSX... but in this RE4 Remake the difference in IQ is apparent and clearly visible in favor of XSX but the performance in fps is clear in favor of PS5.

🤔

rofif

looks like vrs shit show on ps5.. or fsr 2.0
What was wrong with normal checkerboard or Taa

Last edited:
Enaldebits dude who is banned here said PS5 and XSX both use the same RE8 reconstruction technique and have the same 1870p resolution. I am not buying it. Even if his pixel counts are right, PS5 must be using some other technique. this is really bad.

Played on PC. ran at native 4k 60 fps at mostly high settings and no jaggies or shimmering to speak of. Looks pristine. 3080 too. if the 3080 can do native 4k 60 fps, they shouldve been able to do 1440p 60 fps on the PS5. no idea what happened here and why they went for this trash 1800p cb resolution Horizon FW used. really hope it gets fixed at launch.

Going to try on xss next. wish me luck.

That actually could be right I think. It can look pretty sharp aside from the artifacts/shimmering. The best way to play on ps5 is resolution mode with everything turned off except for dof. Best combination of framerate and resolution.

Sadly, it still don't feel like a consistent 60 but it's still better than that performance mode which imo looks like SHIT. They must've fuxked something up tho as re8 looks a lot cleaner and a little smoother and that's with RT turned on.
A
Sucks to be so invested in consoles.

Top Bottom