• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Spaceman292

Yeah and it felt worse. It felt better when I increased acceleration and decreased sensitivity but it was still not quite perfect. I kinda gave up since it's just a demo, I'll refine it for the full game assuming the default still feels bad.
I think it might be all in your head. As long as you take away that dumb acceleration it's basically identical to the other two remakes.

Yes, top (or left in PC browser) is PS5.

Edit: and this is frame rate mode (i used adamsapple screenshots), it looks way better than frame rate on PS5. Resolution mode on PS5 looks ok but performance is shit even with VRR.

Well OK. Xbox is 100 percent a higher resolution then.

TonyK

I hope they patch Xbox deadzones or PS5 image quality before release, because I played several times the demo in both platforms and I don't want to choose between bad aiming or bad IQ. I want one version that simply has everything alright.

By the way, this explains very well why aiming is shit in Xbox version:

Last edited:
I hope they patch Xbox deadzones or PS5 image quality before release, because I played several times the demo in both platforms and I don't want to choose between bad aiming or bad IQ. I want one version that simply has everything alright.

Yeah, hopefully that gets sorted. Shouldn't be too hard to fix the dead zone for launch anyway.

Madflavor

So uh….how bout them Ganados? Have any fun kills you’d like to share? What’s your best score? Found that TMP yet? How bout that Parry system?

No? Ok we’ll keep talking about resolution and aiming for another 10 pages. Sorry, thought we could talk about the game. My bad homies.

Edit: Ok! So there was like one moment where I got to the top of the stairs, and I shot a Ganado, and he fell down the stairs. Like an actual animation for falling down the stairs. He knocked down other enemies too. It was hilarious and felt awesome! And then there was this one guy who baited a Ganado into a bear trap-

Oh oh fuck sorry. What came over me? Right graphics. Aiming. Deadzones. Uh pre-order cancelled.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I think it might be all in your head. As long as you take away that dumb acceleration it's basically identical to the other two remakes.
I really don't know, I'm generally not too fussy about controls and can get used to most setups with no issues including 30fps games (ewww). I find it weird that I immediately hated this one where many other people also raised the same issues. We shall see in the full release.

Elios83

Finished the demo on PS5 and I was not satisfied with the default settings Capcom has created.
Graphically there are too many effects that are ruining image quality ( depth of field, motion blur). If you disable them it looks much better although it still does not look as crisp as RE Village.
FOV needs to be manually increased or the whole thing is claustrofobic.
The aim is too slow and needs to be adjusted.
The quick turn on R1 is uncomfortable and I changed it to the traditional circle botton.

Once I adjusted all these things I was satisfied overall, parrying with the knife and the melee combat with the kick definetly give it a more action-game twist to the gameplay.
But the amount of tweaks needed, unless the demo is an old build from last year, make me think that probably the game needed a few more months into playtesting and quality control...

Last edited:

Kev Kev

On PS4 the right stick was fine. I don't care for the aiming wobble but I'll get used to it, I suppose. The left stick however feels pretty bad when just walking (running seemed perfectly fine), to the point that I felt like Leon was stumbling around drunk because I couldn't get a hang of it.

I played 2 and 3 Remake on Xbox One and it felt fantastic. This game, imo, doesn't feel identical to 2 and 3 Remake. It may have a little to do with using different consoles, but going by all the other complaint across the web, I'm going to say it's just something Capcom fucked up in an attempt to make it feel more weighty and cinematic. Hopefully they make some adjustments. 2 and 3 Remake's movement was perfection, why would they fuck with it?

Spaceman292

Finished the demo on PS5 and I was not satisfied with the default settings Capcom has created.
Graphically there are too many effects that are ruining image quality ( depth of field, motion blur). If you disable them it looks much better although it still does not look as crisp as RE Village.
The aim is too slow and needs to be adjusted.
The quick turn on R1 is uncomfortable and I changed it to the traditional circle botton.

Once I adjusted all these things I was satisfied overall, parrying with the knife and the melee combat with the kick definetly give it a more action-game twist to the gameplay.
But the amount of tweaks needed, unless the demo is an old build from last year, make me think that probably the game needed a few more months into playtesting and quality control...
Some of the 'complaints' you guys are coming up with are just bizarre.

Vick

I actually considered decreasing it here.. this whole Demo's Deafult setting felt like "Motion Sickness™ - The Game".

On PS4 the right stick was fine. I don't care for the aiming wobble but I'll get used to it, I suppose. The left stick however feels pretty bad when just walking (running seemed perfectly fine), to the point that I felt like Leon was stumbling around drunk because I couldn't get a hang of it.
Spot on.

This game, imo, doesn't feel identical to 2 and 3 Remake. It may have a little to do with using different consoles,
Absolutely not, it's the game.

VN1X

I can't believe you guys are still talking about resolution. I just wouldn't have thought it was possible to continually discuss it for that long.
The joys of console gaming in 2023 I guess lol. Scrutinizing over every tiny detail, zooming in on screenshots like CSI Miami or some shit, arguing over the most meager performance variables, comparing and contrasting every resolution available, etc

Me, I just stick everything on high and pc goes brrrr.
kmxzkgzuhkaz.png

Last edited:

simpatico

It’s an imaginary timer once you’re in the village and you walk into a particular house. You just have to survive once you get into the house closest to the church. Which is a 1:1 of what the original was.
Oh yeah. Sorry haven't played the OG in at least 10 years. Stoked for the full release of this one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You should compare with everything OFF : CA, lense, DOF and motion blur. Those filters seem to be applied differently in both versions. I think from your last pic some blurring (DOF ? Lense ? is clearly applied more heavily on PS5, but the actual geometry resolution is still higher on PS5. Try to make the same pics with everything OFF.

They're all off, settings are a match between the two.

Elios83

Some of the 'complaints' you guys are coming up with are just bizarre.
What's bizarre?
I didn't like how the game looked and played by default, I changed many different settings (both graphical and gameplay related) and I've found a good spot for my personal preferences.
It's not normal though that there are so many things that have to be tweaked, it didn't happen to me with previous remakes and Village, the fact many people are complaining means that effectively something is wrong or they made some choices that are not being appreciated (see the rain they're already fixing...).
We'll see with reviews and the day one patch, fortunately the game is super customizable so there's the possibility to adjust it manually.

Last edited:

angelgs90

There is something very odd with the sticks. I don't know if it's just the dead zone, but feels very different (and worse) than RE2 and RE3 remakes. (PS4 version)

Vick

After few playthroughts it didn't grow on me any more than first time, so this will be first RE (since X360) I won't be buying on launch
Buy Dead Space Remake, if you haven't already.
Thank me later.

, pic unrelated
Fq9xQ6GaEAAxS-x
I would agree with this pic 99% of the time, but not for Resident Evil 4 HD Project which, imo, is the definitive Resident Evil 4.

adamsapple

Besides the PS5/SX difference, it's also worth seeing the difference in Resolution and Frame Rate modes.

Resolution:

Frame Rate:

Couple of differences I can see eye-balling.

- The Resolution is (obviously) a little bit sharper, but the difference in clarity is surprisingly minimal.
- The resolution mode has god rays peering through the fence near Leon, Frame Rate does not
- In the far distance, the trees have thicker leaves and branches in Resolution mode

Other than the 3, I could not find any perceptible difference, Frame Rate mode will likely be doing more aggressive DRS in stress areas, but all considered, Frame Rate mode is really good here.

And the fact that you can individually toggle on RT in that means you can play with the higher visual preset at the cost of a little loss in IQ but better performance.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So uh….how bout them Ganados? Have any fun kills you’d like to share? What’s your best score? Found that TMP yet? How bout that Parry system?

No? Ok we’ll keep talking about resolution and aiming for another 10 pages. Sorry, thought we could talk about the game. My bad homies.

Edit: Ok! So there was like one moment where I got to the top of the stairs, and I shot a Ganado, and he fell down the stairs. Like an actual animation for falling down the stairs. He knocked down other enemies too. It was hilarious and felt awesome! And then there was this one guy who baited a Ganado into a bear trap-

Oh oh fuck sorry. What came over me? Right graphics. Aiming. Deadzones. Uh pre-order cancelled.
the new death animations, AI and everything for the ganados felt so refreshing and cool man, they were so nonthreatening in the original game and here they've actually gone mad
The guys with an axe will actually decapitate you if they're able to enact their death animation, it's so sick
though, the chainsaw man doesn't decapitate you anymore. he actually slices you up the middle, which would be badass if leon actually peeled apart like that, but he doesn't sadly :(

the aim in the original was pretty much perfect... not sure what you thought was strange about it tbh.
Ok, I have retested the original RE4 on my PS2, X360, PC, and also GC version on the doplhin emulator.

In all versions the laser sight is constantly swaying, making it harder to aim, so no matter what version of the game you were playing, you must have had some difficulty with the aiming.

-PS2 version has the worst aiming. If you push analog stick your laser sight starts moving very slowy but then at certain point it accelerates too fast, so aiming in general is very difficult.
-Both PC and x360 version have the same aiming, and the only difference is PC version runs at 60fps, so it's a little bit easier to aim. Compared to PS2 version acceleleration during aiming is way less noticeable, but it's still there.
-GC version has the least amount of acceleration during aiming, but maybe it has something to do with my X360 gamepad settings, because GC thumbstics had differente range of motion and different precision for sure.

Overall, my opinion is that the aiming is the best in the GC version. Headshots are easier and it seems game is much more generous when it comes to supplies because enemies drop insane amount of ammo.

So since the aiming in the original RE4 was already difficult it make sense why they wanted to preserve this aspect in the remake. Keep in mind in the remake you can also move while aiming, so maybe that's why they wanted to make it even more difficult.

If someone wants to improve aiming on PC I recommend using "duranzo", thatnks to it you can edit thumbsticks deadzone and acceleration.

Last edited:

Ok, I have retested the original RE4 on my PS2, X360, PC, and also GC version on the doplhin emulator.

In all versions the laser sight is constantly swaying, making it harder to aim, so no matter what version of the game you were playing, you must have had some difficulty with the aiming.

-PS2 version has the worst aiming. If you push analog stick your laser sight starts moving very slowy but then at certain point it accelerates too fast, so aiming in general is very difficult.
-Both PC and x360 version have the same aiming, and the only difference is PC version runs at 60fps, so it's a little bit easier to aim. Compared to PS2 version acceleleration during aiming is way less noticeable, but it's still there.
-GC version has the least amount of acceleration during aiming, but maybe it has something to do with my X360 gamepad settings, because GC thumbstics had differente range of motion and different precision for sure.

Overall, my opinion is that the aiming is the best in the GC version. Headshots are easier and it seems game is much more generous when it comes to supplies because enemies drop insane amount of ammo.

So since the aiming in the original RE4 was already difficult it make sense why they wanted to preserve this aspect in the remake. Keep in mind in the remake you can also move while aiming, so maybe that's why they wanted to make it even more difficult.

they didn't want to make it difficult, they simply don't know how to make it good, a wide spread problem still among console devs, which is sad tbh.

and the aiming in the original feels 10x better, which is true about basically everything in the original tbh.

Last edited:

Arioco

Enaldebits dude who is banned here said PS5 and XSX both use the same RE8 reconstruction technique and have the same 1870p resolution. I am not buying it. Even if his pixel counts are right, PS5 must be using some other technique. this is really bad.

That's not what he said. He said resolution is actually a bit higher on PS5, while also having a 5-10 fps advantage. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but that's what his analysis says.

One thing I don’t like is all the ghosting from the checkerboard rendering. Strangely I didn’t notice it if you play in Performance mode with RT on. Maybe with those setting (at least on Series X) it runs at a lower resolution, but it’s not checkerboarded? I’m probably wrong but it’s just an observation.

Turned off the weird lens thing and aberration and it looked better. The game still seems a little blurry no matter what. And people talking about a dead zone on Xbox helps explain why the aiming feels fucked. Hopefully that gets fixed.

Also had this glitch happen when I went for the TMP run, which was amusing

That being said despite not liking some of changes the demo did make me more optimistic about the remake overall.

Last edited:

Roufianos

We should take into account that it's the beginning of the game, and we know we can upgrade our guns and find better versions of them.

As for the shotgun, speaking from personal experience I've blown off heads, limbs, and even blew the entire ride side of a Ganado's torso apart with it. I imagine upgraded and better shotguns will feel meatier.
Yea I agree, can see the gameplay being a lot better with a red dot site and more powerful weapons.

Just miss the Ganados reacting to every shot.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
boy do I suck. Can't even beat the first encounter.

And graphics looks amazing.
Use the knife when the dude grabs you, deals a lot of damage.
Also, if you throw away all your equipment before you enter the village, you can get a tmp by falling into the well on the right side of the village. Handles like a beauty too

Last edited:

Madflavor

The chainsaw guy. I figured escaping every villager and just concentrating on the guy would work but just too many people.

Killing the chainsaw guy, also known as Dr. Salvador, is optional as well as difficult due to how tanky he is. Killing him nets you a large amount of coins, but you don't really need to. The trick to surviving the Village encounter is to survive for a certain period of time, or kill enough of the villagers. Best thing to do is figure a route where you can constantly circle around, so that you don't get overwhelmed and surrounded. Kill a villager or two every now and again. You'll get it.

Here's my optimal route:

Go through the big house that has the shotgun in it > go upstairs > thru the window on to the roof > kill a villager > jump down > run through the barn > kill more villagers > run around back to the center of the village > go back to the big house with the shotgun > repeat.

That's probably one of the more simpler routes.

Xdrive05

It's a great looking game but what's with the VRAM usage?

With my RTX 3060 12GB, at 1080p Max settings no RT it gets up around 10GB of VRAM used! With RT I can nearly blow out the 12GB!

adamsapple

There's plenty of creative ways you can kill enemies.

This guy lures a Ganado into a bear trap, gets his leg caught in it, and kicks him out of it, ripping his leg along with it.

The Chainsaw guy can also decapitate other villages in his path if he's doing the texas chainsaw swinging.

It's pretty damn cool.

yamaci17

heres the demos first initial location with the 3070 at 4k/interlaced + mixed settings for anyone who wonder aobut performance

1440p should be cakewalk at 90+ hfr

im noob to re games so pls cut me some slack i have no idea what i was doing there

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

heres the demos first initial location with the 3070 at 4k/interlaced + mixed settings for anyone who wonder aobut performance

1440p should be cakewalk at 90+ hfr

FSR 2.0 is a godsend btw, had trouble keeping a consistent 60 on 1440p high with my 6650xt initially. Then I enabled performance in the fsr settings and the game was much more stable and ran way better. Image quality was great too. I'd use fsr on 4k but the stuttering was too great for me to play much longer.

Last edited:

lucbr

Neo Member
I played on XSX and enjoyed. Hope Capcom can patch the game on all platforms by release and so we can all appreciate it fully.

Top Bottom