• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Anchovie123

if you have the 8gb variant, you are kinda screwed and will have to lower texture and shadows + maybe some other settings like RT. or only RT.
I find it kinda crazy that it is so hard to get a gpu with more than 10-12gb of vram from nvidia without breaking the bank.... AMD might not be up to par with dlss but at least they throw vram around like candy
The reason NVIDIA cheaps out on RAM is because they have to use the more expensive and faster GDDR6X where AMD has infinity cache to backup their slower GDDR6. Gotta give AMD props here, the infinity cache was a smart move. NVIDIA cards will be ram starved this entire gen (minus the 90 series)

Last edited:

K' Dash

What's the explanation for all the reports in here of worse performance on PS5?

This source proving to be unreliable or the other way around?

Not really digging the Demo at the moment by the way. Controls, aiming and camera all feel like a significant downgrade to me compared to RE2/3R, plus I'm one of those who not only have no issues with OG RE4 controls and aiming, but actively loves them to this day.

But Remake looks good, it shipped with pre-calibrated gamma and brightness (finally), and while I agree it's not a huge upgrade next to the latest RE Engine entries, just compare the outdoor sections in here to those in RE7 or even RE2R to see a complete generational leap.

I downloaded the demo for my Series X and PS5 and it looks miles better on Series X, there’s no flickering/shimmering and whatever upscale solution they’re using in Series X is better since the IQ doesn’t look blurry.

If they’re launching the game as it looks now in the demo, buying on Series X is a no brainer.

Last edited:

If they’re launching the game as it looks now in the demo, buying on Series X is a no brainer.

I'd say the same if the xbox version was playable, which it isn't with the current aiming issues.
I'll wait for the final release and see if the deadzone is fixed, if not then PC or PS5 it is :/

octiny

Runs & looks amazing on PC maxed out.

z7yUZJs.gif

That’s weird because I didn’t have any issues pulling headshots on fools left and right 🤔

the deadzone is massive and makes the game feel like absolute ass on Xbox.
and there's no option to change it either. and if it stays that way in the final game then to me it's unplayable. if a game feels bad to play to me then I'm not playing it, doesn't necessarily have to do with how easy you can do a certain thing.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Aside gamma (?) differences what you should clearly see is much more defined foliage on series x - look at trees in the distance in full resolution image opened in new tab.
Your shots showing opposite actually. If you look at thin branches there are many "floating" pixels disconnected from each other on Xbox, and very few on PS5 in comparison. So it's either PS5 has higher res here or stronger TAA accumulation.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So. Yeah, the Series X version does look sharper than the PS5 version, in Resolution mode at least, will take some comparison pics in Frame rate mode later.

Both are running on the same display. Same graphical settings on both. (DoF: off, Motion blur: off, Screen distortion: off, SRGB)

If they are supposed to be running the same resolution as per the ElAnalistaDeBits video, then there is some serious difference in their AA implementation. Though I think it's more likely that the DRS is more aggressive on PS5.

Direct feed PNG screens from both consoles respective galleries:

Series X:

PS5:

Xbox:

18dfu3.png

PS5:

20if1w.png

Last edited:

Lambhalf

Neo Member
My personal opinion - The controls feel terrible. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it doesn't feel tight. I always need an extra second or so to get my aiming right. It seems to handhold for some cutscenes that I would've liked the option to play. I think the original is better from my experience thus far.

My personal opinion - The controls feel terrible. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it doesn't feel tight. I always need an extra second or so to get my aiming right. It seems to handhold for some cutscenes that I would've liked the option to play. I think the original is better from my experience thus far.
I'm liking the controls - though moreso on PC than Ps4. But I agree completely about turning the whole intro house area into a cutscene - I didn't like it at all.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
Here is the game running on my 3080. Looks much more cleaner than the PS5. No shimmering whatsoever. Other than that, looks virtually identical. I didnt dare turn on RT since in some spots it drops below 60 fps.

Also ran it at 1440. was getting 100-120 fps in most scenes. Looks far closer to the PS5 version in terms of IQ, but it doesnt have any of that horrendous shimmering. Devs just need to target 1440p on consoles. forget about these upscaling techniques and optimize around 1440p downgrading whatever setting gets you to a locked 1440p.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If you are playing on Xbox then its the deadzones. They're very bad. Hopefully this is something under Capcom's purview for the release patch.

The least they can do is just add a deadzone slider in the controls menu so people can adjust manually.

Madflavor

I felt that the intro house in the Remake is far better.

OG Intro house had a hallway, dining room, hallway, stairs, hallway. It was weirdly structured. The Remake one actually felt like a house. Additionally Remake Leon comes off more competent. OG Leon walks into a stranger’s house already brandishing his weapon, and starts talking to a local Spanish resident in English.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I played the demo on my PS5, I’m not seeing any issue at all when it comes combat and aiming….what exactly is the problem?

rofif

Whats going on here? My 3080 runs the game fine. No crashes. Its the 10 GB one too. native 4k 60 fps.

What CPU are you both using? how much RAM?

rofif rofif why is your GPU hitting 82 degrees? keep it under 75 dude.
82 since the day I got it. In a big phanteks p600s case with silent wings 3 fans. Nothing I can do about it. I will sooner barf on a plate and eat it rather than downclock it.

The problem is vram. I pray at 4k maxed. Solution is to disable rt it lower textures to high 2gb

Ps5 has that vaseline effect for sure.

I'm playing on performance mode and series x looks better to me...also I can't see a single sign of fps drops, so something with this engine is working wonders on series x with vrr.

I'll play some more but I'm deffo happy with this. Would like to think capcom iron out any issues by launch, but it deffo looks better on xbox to me.
Resolution and thus texture quality look less on ps5.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I played the demo on my PS5, I’m not seeing any issue at all when it comes combat and aiming….what exactly is the problem?
I wouldn't say it's terrible, but the default aiming/camera settings don't seem to work for many people including me. It felt very imprecise before making adjustments in the options and even then I'm not sure I've found my ideal settings yet. I actually went back to re2 remake and the default aiming feels just right tnere so it's not placebo, not sure why they tried to reinvent the wheel for no reason.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I wouldn't say it's terrible, but the default aiming/camera settings don't seem to work for many people including me. It felt very imprecise before making adjustments in the options and even then I'm not sure I've found my ideal settings yet. I actually went back to re2 remake and the default aiming feels just right tnere so it's not placebo, not sure why they tried to reinvent the wheel for no reason.
That’s strange, I played on default setting on the demo and I could easily do head shot no problem. In fact I felt the game controlled pretty smoothly.

rofif

Just move acceleration sliders to the right.

Calverz

I ran the demo on my pc and series x. Both connected to an LGC2. My 3070 just couldn’t handle 4K over 60fps. So I went down to 1440p and is around 80ish fps with ray tracing on. It looks pretty clean for 1440p. The series x version on performance mode looked sub 1440p but not 100% on that. I had a couple of crashes on pc when I hd the mesh quality setting to max.

I have pre ordered the collectors edition on Xbox but now I think il double dip on a steam key and play it on pc.

Last edited:
Same settings (rt off, all image options off, hair off).

Aside gamma (?) differences what you should clearly see is much more defined foliage on series x - look at trees in the distance in full resolution image opened in new tab.
No foliage is better defined on PS5. You are falling for the sharpening filter trick applied on XSX, not PS5 (or much less). Compared zoomed parts and you'll see.

Last edited:

Calverz

I felt that the intro house in the Remake is far better.

OG Intro house had a hallway, dining room, hallway, stairs, hallway. It was weirdly structured. The Remake one actually felt like a house. Additionally Remake Leon comes off more competent. OG Leon walks into a stranger’s house already brandishing his weapon, and starts talking to a local Spanish resident in English.
uP1cALU.jpg

Played it through a few times.

Loved it! The village level design is so good you feel pressured to move all the time. Feels like a slow doom 2016/Eternal.

Love the resource management really makes you think about what to use.

Honestly the I think the graphics are still really good on ps5🤷‍♂.

Are they the best no but there totally in line with other cross gen games I think.

Now Wo Long has bad graphics!

Maybe I just have lower minimum standards!

I downloaded the demo for my Series X and PS5 and it looks miles better on Series X, there’s no flickering/shimmering and whatever upscale solution they’re using in Series X is better since the IQ doesn’t look blurry.

Same settings (rt off, all image options off, hair off).

PS5 is actually rendering at a higher resolution and with actually more foliage details.
There is clearly a heavier sharpening pass on XSX. Top PS5, bottom XSX.

3TGMJ2h.png

No foliage is better defined on PS5. You are falling for the sharpening filter trick applied on XSX, not PS5 (or much less). Compared zoomed parts and you'll see.

PS5 is actually rendering at a higher resolution and with actually more foliage details.
There is clearly a heavier sharpening pass on XSX. Top PS5, bottom XSX.

3TGMJ2h.png

Dude I'm looking at it right infront of me. The ps5 looks blurrier and textures seem to be lower res plus shimmering. Zooming in on a tree branch 500 percent in the distance doesn't change that. Look at the textures on the actual stone walls etc.

To me they are probably the same res but something going on with the ps5 version that's causing some strange blurriness.

If the ps5 is higher res then whatever effects are destroying the image quality is wasting that resolution advantage.

Last edited:
Dude I'm looking at it right infront of me. The ps5 looks blurrier and textures seem to be lower res plus shimmering. Zooming in on a tree branch 500 percent in the distance doesn't change that. Look at the textures on the actual stone walls etc.
Textures are likely benefiting from the heavier sharpening pass on XSX. But geometry is clearly higher resolution on PS5.

Also textures could be different between scenes and versions. It's a cross-gen game and maybe PS5 is using PS4 textures in some scenes. We already saw that in others games, some call it a "bug".

Finally the post-AA effects seem different between versions. We know the CA + lense filter is set differently and even default brightness is very different.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Did you turn off aiming acceleration?

I can't believe you guys are still talking about resolution. I just wouldn't have thought it was possible to continually discuss it for that long.

I remember the days where resolution didn't matter...until it does.

Saying that, I would take what ever the xbox version is doing over the ps5 version so hopefully they patch it for release.

Doesn't look like a sharpening filter on xbox, it looks pristine and right. The ps5 version looks blurry.

Here is the game running on my 3080. Looks much more cleaner than the PS5. No shimmering whatsoever. Other than that, looks virtually identical. I didnt dare turn on RT since in some spots it drops below 60 fps.

Also ran it at 1440. was getting 100-120 fps in most scenes. Looks far closer to the PS5 version in terms of IQ, but it doesnt have any of that horrendous shimmering. Devs just need to target 1440p on consoles. forget about these upscaling techniques and optimize around 1440p downgrading whatever setting gets you to a locked 1440p.

I'am playing on 1080p is that why I am noticeing the shimmering?

Mr Moose

Saying that, I would take what ever the xbox version is doing over the ps5 version so hopefully they patch it for release.

Doesn't look like a sharpening filter on xbox, it looks pristine and right. The ps5 version looks blurry.
You are playing the PS4 version.
82 since the day I got it. In a big phanteks p600s case with silent wings 3 fans. Nothing I can do about it. I will sooner barf on a plate and eat it rather than downclock it.

The problem is vram. I pray at 4k maxed. Solution is to disable rt it lower textures to high 2gb
Undervolt it a bit.

Frame Rate mode w/ RT on.
Same visual settings on both.

PS5:

Series X:

Once again, there is a difference in sharpness in Xbox's favor. Likely DRS related.

5rnG57g.gif
You should compare with everything OFF : CA, lense, DOF and motion blur. Those filters seem to be applied differently in both versions. I think from your last pic some blurring (DOF ? Lense ? is clearly applied more heavily on PS5, but the actual geometry resolution is still higher on PS5. Try to make the same pics with everything OFF.

Last edited:
Just tried in resolution rt mode and the xboz version feels awful. Like just over 30fps when not in a building!

Nope not playing like that. Can hardly see a difference.

Also on my version the trees are full of foliage so not sure what's happening there.

Last edited:

I only tried it on PS5. I'm just giving you guys some shit lol.

yamaci17

game runs pretty smooth on the 8 gig buffer on my 3070 with a crap 2700

4k/interlacing/high textures

do note that game "allocates" a huge portion of VRAM but actual vram usage is lower (the dedicated vram usage is on the right)

DbPLFVN.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
After few playthroughts it didn't grow on me any more than first time, so this will be first RE (since X360) I won't be buying on launch, pic unrelated
Fq9xQ6GaEAAxS-x

Bojji

If the top is ps5 then you are right by a large margin

Yes, top (or left in PC browser) is PS5.

Edit: and this is frame rate mode (i used adamsapple screenshots), it looks way better than frame rate on PS5. Resolution mode on PS5 looks ok but performance is shit even with VRR.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Did you turn off aiming acceleration?
Yeah and it felt worse. It felt better when I increased acceleration and decreased sensitivity but it was still not quite perfect. I kinda gave up since it's just a demo, I'll refine it for the full game assuming the default still feels bad.

Needlecrash

Changed some settings on PC. Got FSR running on this on Ultra Quality. FPS is between 60 to 100 fps now. I can work with this now. Running a 3080.

Top Bottom