• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4: Chainsaw Demo will be available today for download (No Time Limit)

Belthazar

I find it funny how people thought this was going to be some kind of next gen showcase when it was announced and now the parity between the PS5 and PS4 versions is pretty high.

Well, just goes to show how magic VRR is. Looks great on series x and feels so smooth. Very happy with my purchase now. Can't wait...just gotta fix that dead zone.

Vrr really is a game changer this gen. I feel you have to have it to get the most of these consoles. No idea if it's dropping from 60 fps but I can't notice it. Looks awesome too.

Not tried ps5 yet. I'm sure they will fix it for launch.

Last edited:
Capcom had different sharpening settings for their antialiasing on different consoles in the past.
in RE3 for example the PS4 Pro version looked sharper but had more shimmering, the Xbox One X version was blurrier but had less shimmering (or was it the other way around?)

so it would not be out of character for Capcom to somehow do the same here again.
people have to realize that it's not necessarily the same people working on the Xbox and the PS versions of games, so a small miscommunication, or just the choice of the individual person who is working on one of the versions, can mean slight differences like these can pop up.

You had it right the one x was using two AA solutions. Same with DMC V.

xrnzaaas

On my PS5 after a while I keep getting flickering lights at the bottom of the screen (different colors). Seems to be hapenning after a few reloads of the village square fight and only resetting the game gets rid of them. It's only occuring in the performance mode, resolution mode works fine (and plays smooth so I'll stick with it).

Last edited:

Bojji

Are you referring to the performance mode? Because in all honesty the resolution mode looks fine. Little bit of shimmer but I've seen much worse

Resolution mode is ok but IMO it looks worse than even performance mode on Xbox (that looks super fine and miles better than performance on PS5). If this is reconstruction problem they need to change it.

Resolution mode is ok but IMO it looks worse than even performance mode on Xbox (that looks super fine and miles better than performance on PS5). If this is reconstruction problem they need to change it.
doubt. why would the reconstruction problem be only on ps5 if all other re games had checkerboard on both consoles?

Moses85

I find it funny how people thought this was going to be some kind of next gen showcase when it was announced and now the parity between the PS5 and PS4 versions is pretty high.
This Is Ridiculous Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A 2013 machine does the job nearly as good as a 2020 released console with 10,3 TF

rofif

Are you referring to the performance mode? Because in all honesty the resolution mode looks fine. Little bit of shimmer but I've seen much worse
Performance.
Quality is only a bit sharper though but drops below vrr treshold.

I wonder if they're using BOTH vrs and checkerboarding? That's a bad combination as demonstrated by Avengers which looked worse on ps5 compared to series x in performance mode
could be. hope it gets patched

Capcom had different sharpening settings for their antialiasing on different consoles in the past.
in RE3 for example the PS4 Pro version looked sharper but had more shimmering, the Xbox One X version was blurrier but had less shimmering (or was it the other way around?)

so it would not be out of character for Capcom to somehow do the same here again.
people have to realize that it's not necessarily the same people working on the Xbox and the PS versions of games, so a small miscommunication, or just the choice of the individual person who is working on one of the versions, can mean slight differences like these can pop up.
I think you are exactly right here.
I wonder if they're using BOTH vrs and checkerboarding? That's a bad combination as demonstrated by Avengers which looked worse on ps5 compared to series x in performance mode
I don't think so. I think they might use a different FSR setting with more sharpening on XSX. Because the banned guy actually stated resolution was actually a bit higher on PS5 (and he is a known Xbox fan). Also in all those comparisons brightness is higher on XSX (so we can see more details).

consoul

The secret TMP submachinegun is well worth checking out in the demo, especially as it carries over to your next run. Makes Mad Chainsaw mode a bit less daunting.

To unlock the underground area & TMP in the demo, discard everything before you open the gate to the village. Go in empty handed and you'll find the entrance to the well is open.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just gonna copypaste what i said to my friend on discord about the thoughts on the demo

ok so i beat the whole thing. it was a bit short since it only lasted to the section where the ganados storm you in the village center
but hoooly shit dude
it's funny how it was 30 minutes long yet it was around 10 gigs
doesnt give me a lot of hope for the final product's size, but considering what i'd played i'd wipe my entire drive if it meant i could play it

for one thing the enemy AI is actually supercharged in this version of the game
like that ganado village segment was initially pretty easy on the original version of the game, so long as you kept running you wouldn't die
which is funny, considering how much more limited the controls were in that version
in this version, even with the strafing and movement they're a lot more aggressive
they'll grab you more often if you run past them, they're harder to kill, they're more jerky and unpredictable in their movements so headshotting them is harder, and they team up far more
this is also compounded by the fact that they're a bit more bullet spongey, which isn't that surprising since RE2 remake had pretty spongey enemies, most RE games do as that's kind of a mainstay of the franchise
but that small change to enemy health makes them far more of a bitch to deal with, and also in turn makes the gameplay alot more survival focused as you can't really go in guns blazing. It's likely a holdover from Remake 2 since the gameplay is not too dissimilar to that game

to be fair, this is before you get the shotgun, and the original RE4 did keep the survival horror thing up until you got the more powerful weapons, because at that point the game basically did turn into a third person shooter with horror elements
I actually hope Capcom doesn't take that route again because the changes they've made to the game to make it more fresh i've actually really fucking liked
Not to mention the first area where you enter the guys house and he tries to kill you, that's pretty similar overall
except that there's an additional segment where after you kill the dude, he drops a key
you use it to unlock the door to the basement, where you see a dead officer and an intercom
you're then instructed to leave ASAP, but the guy you just killed now has his corpse reanimated thanks to the parasite inside him which made him violent to begin with.
oh, and killing him is a fool's errand, he's got way more health and can kill you in 2 grabs
So yeah the parasites are introduced right at the start rather than like 1 or 2 hours in
probably for the sake of the demo. It does get rid of a bit of the mystery of "why are these guys such crazy assholes" but it also makes the gameplay a bit more intense in turn and makes enemy encounters a bit more fearful, though that's also because of all of the compounded gameplay changes from the remake overhauling the controls

Thinking about it more though, I wonder if they really increased the health or it's just that the enemies flinch less when you shoot them so you can't just keep shooting them in critical parts to get away. Either way i recall that exact segment feeling a LOT easier in the original game.

I genuinely really like many of the changes made here and I can tell this is going to be more of a 'reimagning' rather than a remake. All the iconic stuff stays faithful like the village scene where you get swarmed by ganados but all of the smaller stuff gets a bit more of a unique, survival horror feel to it. If they keep this tone up throughout the entire game I feel like this could be one of the all time great remakes up there with Metroid Zero Mission, AM2R, CTR Nitro Fueled and OFC the RE remakes (excluding 3)

Last edited:

Mr Moose

These consoles have a screenshot feature, unless I missed it, why aren't people with both taking pics to compare them with the same settings?

Vick

What's the explanation for all the reports in here of worse performance on PS5?

This source proving to be unreliable or the other way around?

Not really digging the Demo at the moment by the way. Controls, aiming and camera all feel like a significant downgrade to me compared to RE2/3R, plus I'm one of those who not only have no issues with OG RE4 controls and aiming, but actively loves them to this day.

But Remake looks good, it shipped with pre-calibrated gamma and brightness (finally), and while I agree it's not a huge upgrade next to the latest RE Engine entries, just compare the outdoor sections in here to those in RE7 or even RE2R to see a complete generational leap.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
the game supports RT? i gave a cursory glance at the graphics settings (everything came preconfigured at settings i was fine with tbh) but never noticed any option for RT- maybe it's because im playing on Linux. I also deleted the game because i thought that the one village segment was all there was to it

Controls, aiming and camera all feel like a significant downgrade to me compared to RE2/3R,
I can agree with that, the camera is actually worse for some reason. RE2's camera would swerve depending on what area you were in and the best place to aim, in RE4 Leon's always on the left
not that big of a deal to me though and the controls feel bout as good as they do in RE2. It's a fucking weird change though

Last edited:

[Sigma]

These consoles have a screenshot feature, unless I missed it, why aren't people with both taking pics to compare them with the same settings?
Yeah, we need comparisons because im not seeing all this blurriness people talking about right now. I've seen some textures not load quickly enough and shimmering.

Last edited:

Yoboman

What's the explanation for all the reports in here of worse performance on PS5?

This source proving to be unreliable or the other way around?

Not really digging the Demo at the moment by the way. Controls, aiming and camera all feel like a significant downgrade to me compared to RE2/3R, plus I'm one of those who not only have no issues with OG RE4 controls and aiming, but actively loves them to this day.

But Remake looks good, it shipped with pre-calibrated gamma and brightness (finally), and while I agree it's not a huge upgrade next to the latest RE Engine entries, just compare the outdoor sections in here to those in RE7 or even RE2R to see a complete generational leap.

Pretty significant advantage to PS5. Guess that'sjust another one

Shakka43

Not really digging the Demo at the moment by the way. Controls, aiming and camera all feel like a significant downgrade to me compared to RE2/3R
I feel the opposite way, the gameplay finally feels like is has a nice weight to it. Shooting enemies feels satisfying unlike the previous games(Village being a big offender) where guns felt like cheap airsoft's.

Mr Moose

Different implementation? IDK

Fact is, Xbox version looks better (look at tree branches), both shots in resolution mode:

PS
SOEFJDsl_o.jpg

Xbox
Why does the PS5 have better hair strands?
Edit: It's not just the hair, its the fur collar too, are these on the same settings?

Last edited:

Needlecrash

oh yes pc gaming. 3080 is not enough for re4 remake.
crashed 2 minutes into the demo.
Of course fully maxed out at 4k.. Fps around 50.
Looks fantastic. Cleaner than ps5

FXu06zA.jpg

3 times in a row now. I cannot make it to the first home lol pc experience here I go!!! 3080 bitch !
Edit: FSR 2.0 balanced and it still crashes before entering the house. Seriously

My 3080 isn't enough for RE4 remake. My game crashed as soon as I went to the right side of the house. I have two monitors, 4K and 2K. Wanted to try 4k and I get around 40-50 on average. High to max settings on most options. It plays and looks nice. No hitches minus that D3D crash.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
anybody getting green/ red /blue flashing dots around bottom of the screen during 2nd playthrough/ switching to mad chainsaw/ switching graphic mode on PS5?

I thought its my PS5 GPU dying initially, however some users on resetera having this exact issue on PS5 playing the same demo.

This graphical issue seems to happen once and I am unable to replicate the scenario again, seems to happen one time only for me.

Last edited:

Fact is, Xbox version looks better (look at tree branches), both shots in resolution mode:

PS
SOEFJDsl_o.jpg

Xbox
Brightness and game filters (CA, lens, sharpen filter) seem a bit different. This is probably causing the visible difference of sharpness for most. But PS5 game is clearly higher resolution (and resolving more details) here.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

PS
SOEFJDsl_o.jpg

Xbox
they look exactly the same to me, minus the brightness or whatever it is.

rofif

My 3080 isn't enough for RE4 remake. My game crashed as soon as I went to the right side of the house. I have two monitors, 4K and 2K. Wanted to try 4k and I get around 40-50 on average. High to max settings on most options. It plays and looks nice. No hitches minus that D3D crash.
You need to lower textures to 2gb high. That’s all. Can keep everything else on max.
Just do it in main menu. If you do it in game it will crash

DKPOWPOW

I agree with almost everything you said. I have this theory that RE4 was in a unique position where games from that era, no matter how polished, still gave the player plenty of leeway to use any technical shortcomings to their advantage in a fun way. The door thing you mentioned for example. In the original it looked so goofy, it was almost like an unintended yet lucky accident. But it was one of many things that made the gameplay so incredibly fun. It felt like there were tons and tons of ways to fight through every encounter whether it was a respectable course of action or not. Something completely absent from most games today since developpers are far too obsessed with things being realistically sound instead of being fun.

Halo 2 always being my go-to example for this. Game wouldn't have been half the success that it was if it didn't have janky pshysics, button combo's, a lack of death barriers etc.

Anyway, In the first 10 minutes of the demo alone I felt very constrained. Sections being cut-off from backtracking, a scarce amount of collectibles, enemies feeling very scripted in terms of combat and animations. The fucking dog is dead?? And I mentioned this in a previous post but the game won't allow you to go to the upper floor of the clock tower anymore. That was one of my favorite cheese spots in new game+

Game looks good though, I'll give it that.

Edit: Oh, and your knife being able to break now. What on earth.
Yup. It just feels less interactive, I hope I am wrong though. Could just be the demo.

But it was a big deal back in the day, being able to shoot thru doors, jump thru windows. It was one of the things back then that made RE4 feel so unique.

It had almost an Ocarina of Time like vibe in regards to context sensitive actions and environment. On top of it it threw the Shenmue like QTE's to keep you on your toes.

And those were just very small things, but it was filled with them. All these unique, odd touches. Being a survival horror action game, the expert pacing, the not so serious tone despite the awful things happening.

It was a beautiful mess.

But this game just from the outset... Seems intent on making it more serious and horrorish. More survival like, but also more scripted. We'll see... The parts from the final trailer with Luis seemed to have the more natural RE4 tone.

I am hoping that when you visit the merchant the upgrades are much more impactful, which would explain why the weapons feel so weak now.

amscanner

Neo Member
Something is wrong with ps5 version imo.

ps5. (frame rate mode) :

pQ5ml1x.jpg

pc 2160p interlaced (checkerboard) :

0rdcjcr.jpg

pc 1296p interlaced (checkerboard) :

02nBVx5.jpg

Last edited:

Bojji

Why does the PS5 have better hair strands?
Edit: It's not just the hair, its the fur collar too, are these on the same settings?

Brightness and game filters (CA, lens, sharpen filter) seem a bit different. This is probably causing the visible difference of sharpness for most. But PS5 game is clearly higher resolution (and resolving more details) here.

they look exactly the same to me, minus the brightness or whatever it is.

Same settings (rt off, all image options off, hair off).

Aside gamma (?) differences what you should clearly see is much more defined foliage on series x - look at trees in the distance in full resolution image opened in new tab.

Filben

Can I upgrade without losing my settings?
I honestly can't tell. I had to set everything anew but I was upgrading my whole OS and reinstalled the latest version from scratch a while ago. Don't know how it works if you update your existing version.
I noticed a subtle difference in RE3, too. The image was softer, with smoother edges on PS5 whereas on PC edges where looked harder, even with CA enabled. I couldn't really replicate the PS5's image on PC and I quite liked the PS5 image more.

In the RE4 demo, the PS5 image and edges (aliasing) are flicker free, on PC only if FSR (both) is disabled. Otherwise especially the foliage will show some flicker.

So there's definitely a difference to how the image is constructed in both versions.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Something is wrong with ps5 version imo.

ps5. (frame rate mode) :

pQ5ml1x.jpg

pc 2160p interlaced (checkerboard) :

0rdcjcr.jpg

pc 1296p interlaced (checkerboard) :

02nBVx5.jpg
The fog maybe (and a sharpening filter?).

89dResidentEvil4Chainsa.png

e78ResidentEvil4Chainsa.png

Same settings (rt off, all image options off, hair off).

Aside gamma (?) differences what you should clearly see is much more defined foliage on series x - look at trees in the distance in full resolution image opened in new tab.
It's missing leaves/trees on the 2nd pic.

re4.gif

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Everything on the PS picture looks better, better contrast and better details on the blacks so unless he mistagged the pictures I don't see how XB looks better.
blacks on PS are blue on Xbox :messenger_grimmacing_ the dark hazy atmosphere was fucking demolished on xbox thanks to the terrible colors making everything look blue. whatever settings he used, he should change that shit because it looks offf

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

We all thought it would be the first RE engine game to be made just for the new gen consoles before they announced that it was actually cross-gen.

No one's fault for getting their hopes up, but let's be clear that this is a PS4 game running better on the new consoles, this is not a dedicated current-gen game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
also, i've been on Linux and i've encountered no crashes so uh... yay?
audio likes to cut out though, not sure if that's because of my system or a bug with the game. some other people have been reporting about audio issues so it isnt just me.

i played at 1440p high at first, but it was laggy so i switched to 1440p high + FSR balanced and the 40s and 50s turned into consistent 60s. AI upscaling is awesome

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
BTW anyone tried that "mad chainsaw edition" thing yet? it occurs once you beat the demo once, and it's a supercharged version of the game where there's more enemies. you start off with a TMP, though

The TMP being in the game also just shows how fucking amazing Resident Evil's gunplay is, shit felt fresh and punchy. Plus the ammo management aspect is something that many other games lack. I :messenger_heart: this franchise

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
oh yes pc gaming. 3080 is not enough for re4 remake.
crashed 2 minutes into the demo.
Of course fully maxed out at 4k.. Fps around 50.
Looks fantastic. Cleaner than ps5

FXu06zA.jpg

3 times in a row now. I cannot make it to the first home lol pc experience here I go!!! 3080 bitch !
Edit: FSR 2.0 balanced and it still crashes before entering the house. Seriously

Whats going on here? My 3080 runs the game fine. No crashes. Its the 10 GB one too. native 4k 60 fps.

What CPU are you both using? how much RAM?

rofif rofif why is your GPU hitting 82 degrees? keep it under 75 dude.

Astral Dog

Just finished the demo, that was a rush 🤣
.very familiar, but with a few twists. that part after the long ladder got me
.the visuals are creepier👏 though i had a bit of trouble adjusting the brightness
Controls are,idk i need to play more because im not fully convinced,they feel a little off but anyways,at least i don't think it will hurt the experience
.they made the Music scarier 😨

This is classic Resident Evil 4 mixed in with some of the experience of making RE7 and RE8, wich is just what i expected it to be ,im going to play it after a sale but its gonna be fun(hmm what about a first person mode DLC?🧠)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
The fog maybe (and a sharpening filter?).

89dResidentEvil4Chainsa.png

e78ResidentEvil4Chainsa.png

It's missing leaves/trees on the 2nd pic.

re4.gif
I dont know whats going on the xsx version, but the PS5 versions issues cant be noticed in screenshots because its just like the issue with HFW. the shimmering happens when you start moving around. This looks like the same exact issue.

Remember, checkerboarding when it first came out, DF had trouble telling it apart because it looks native 4k when you're not moving. You only start to notice it when you start panning the camera around and it begins to leave ghosting trails. But that was 4kcb. 1800p cb needs some extra work put in, i.e., more data fed to the algorithm to fill in the details. GG explained this to DF back when they patched it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Goddamnit. I just played the OG RE4 Village section to compare, and I can't go back now. I prefer the Remake, that I think it may have ruined OG RE4 now lol. The game just feels so much tamer compared to the new version.
the OG's village section was much longer though, im pretty sure you got to the village quite a bit after you do in Remake. That's also probably because of the house segment being extended
one thing people aren't talking about more though is just how BIG the demo is for how little content's in there
10gb for 30 minutes of content is crazy and scary no matter which way you slice it, the full game will be 60 gb as well so if we go by that we'd have 3 hours of content. let's hope the full game isn't anywhere close to that length

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BTW anyone tried that "mad chainsaw edition" thing yet? it occurs once you beat the demo once, and it's a supercharged version of the game where there's more enemies. you start off with a TMP, though

The TMP being in the game also just shows how fucking amazing Resident Evil's gunplay is, shit felt fresh and punchy. Plus the ammo management aspect is something that many other games lack. I :messenger_heart: this franchise
the extra difficulty is playable by simple rng. Every time you quit the game from the menu there’s a chance you’ll get a shot at the new difficulty.

Also the TMP isn’t something you start off with in the new difficulty. You obtain the TMP by discarding everything in your inventory before entering the gate to the village, then go down the well (that is now open). The TMP lies in a chest inside the well. The TMP will also be there in your inventory even if you complete the demo and try again.

And yes, the TMP feels incredible - especially since it’s upgraded as heck in this demo!

Top Bottom