• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

I think most of us have stuff we don't like, but then we just stay away from those topics.

For example, I'm not really into N64 at all. Or any pre-NES stuff but that may be more common.

D.Lo

Or any pre-NES stuff but that may be more common.
Pre-NES (and early Famicom) are mostly pure arcade. Can be fun to play, but less to discuss. How much discussion can you have about Space Invaders, for example?

Super Mario Bros really cracked open gaming in that sense. There were hints of this before in early RPGs and stuff like Adventure, but not on the same level. Game culture was more like esports culture until about that point, at which it became more of an art discussion.

Definitely hidden agendas. Sega fanboys are all scum.

If you had said Sonic fanboys I would've agreed.

48e34994ecb757d14098934ca16d9fac.jpg

petran79

Banned
Pre-NES (and early Famicom) are mostly pure arcade. Can be fun to play, but less to discuss. How much discussion can you have about Space Invaders, for example?

Super Mario Bros really cracked open gaming in that sense. There were hints of this before in early RPGs and stuff like Adventure, but not on the same level. Game culture was more like esports culture until about that point, at which it became more of an art discussion.

Quite a few computer games were more sophisticated back then but for consoles, yes

I'm honestly too young to know the pre-snes scene. I understand nes discussion but mostly via proxy of easy emulation and the game boy. One day I'll be cultured.

Teknoman

Contra and the like?

Contra
Super C
Shatterhand
Power Blade
Vice: Project Doom
Ninja Gaiden 1
Ninja Gaiden 2

For starters. NES stuff is pretty accessible (i'd like to think) in that it doesnt look too old as to look non-descriptive, but alot of games also feature production values (mostly art and audio) that can still rival modern day titles imagination wise.

Contra
Super C
Shatterhand
Power Blade
Vice: Project Doom
Ninja Gaiden 1
Ninja Gaiden 2

For starters. NES stuff is pretty accessible (i'd like to think) in that it doesnt look too old as to look non-descriptive, but alot of games also feature production values (mostly art and audio) that can still rival modern day titles imagination wise.
I definitely want to make a pass at the ninja gaiden titles. I'll try em out next time I'm in a mood for something straight forward.

I definitely want to make a pass at the ninja gaiden titles. I'll try em out next time I'm in a mood for something straight forward.

Little Samson is another kick ass one. Very late title. don't even bother looking it up on ebay, emulation is fine. All the above applies to Gimmick as well.

two of the best games on the system, both came out late, pushed the NES about as far as it would go, did stuff no other games did, and sell for mid-to-high 3 figures for a reason.

Little Samson is another kick ass one. Very late title. don't even bother looking it up on ebay, emulation is fine. All the above applies to Gimmick as well.

two of the best games on the system, both came out late, pushed the NES about as far as it would go, did stuff no other games did, and sell for mid-to-high 3 figures for a reason.
Gimmick is amazing. Been gunning for a copy of the psx port but it's a bit out of my price range (though obviously well within what is reasonable relative to the original cart).

Teknoman

Retro-GAF rules. There's only one downside. You bastards have killed my wallet this year.

lol thats how it works. Someone discovers Game X, Has fun and posts stuff about it, then more and more people go after it when they realized they've been sleeping on it.

On the bright side, once you have all you want, you know nothing new will ever release. EVER.

D.Lo

I've said this before, but for all the price whinging, retro games cost less than when they were released generally. And also cost less than buying modern games
and the games are far better too lol

If you take inflation into account, NES games cost like US$90 in 2015 dollars. And the console like $500!

If I had bought my games collection new it would have cost me 5-20 times the price I reckon.

Quite a few computer games were more sophisticated back then but for consoles, yes
Examples?

The usually quoted highlights are primitive RPGs and text adventures, which I've never found particularly sophisticated or impressive myself.

I've said this before, but for all the price whinging, retro games cost less than when they were released generally. And also cost less than buying modern games
and the games are far better too lol

If you take inflation into account, NES games cost like US$90 in 2015 dollars. And the console like $500!

If I had bought my games collection new it would have cost me 5-20 times the price I reckon.

Examples?

The usually quoted highlights are primitive RPGs and text adventures, which I've never found particularly sophisticated or impressive myself.

Of course, everything back then was brand new. Most people are not buying "new". They're buying cart/ CD only from someones skanky basement thats been sitting for decades and the prices are higher because some 100,000k youtuber just uploaded a video. Frustration also stems from seeing dump bins full of new copies of Earthbound for $10 and not jumping on it. Also, 50% of the US Saturn games are above MSRP, most cases double, even triple.

IMHO the whining is justified because 9 times out of 10 the high prices are coming from someone flipping a flea market deal to make $$$$ & everyone else follows suit. Most are not in to enjoy the games they're in it for money.

entremet

So what are your retro buying plans you guys have next year?

I think I'm gonna focus on GBA, PS2, SNES, Saturn.

The last two before prices get any worse!

Might do more PSP too. Such a fun system to collect for.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Examples?

Seriously. EGA and CGA graphics + obtuse everything =/= sophisticated.

I played a lot of PC games back in the day, but let's not pretend like the needlessly complicated RPGs and sims were particularly fun.

I've kinda tapped out everything I want at this point. I'll probably be going to Japan again soon and need to make a list but I think it will be pretty short.

Maybe more Wonderswan stuff if I can find it cheap.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Gonna probably get one of my 'holy grails' once taxes come back... Lucienne's Quest, DuckTales 2, Earthbound cib... one of those probably. Or start getting into PC-FX.

petran79

Banned
I

Examples?

I remember reading an article by an adventure game reviewer explaining how he was impressed by games like The Hobbit back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_(1982_video_game)

The game has an innovative text-based physics system, developed by Veronika Megler. Objects, including the characters in the game, have a calculated size, weight and solidity. Objects can be placed inside other objects, attached together with rope and damaged or broken. If the main character is sitting in a barrel and this barrel is then picked up and thrown through a trapdoor, the player would go through.

Unlike other works of interactive fiction, the game is also in real time, insofar as a period of idleness causes the "WAIT" command to be automatically invoked and the possibility of events occurring as a result. This can be suppressed by entering the "PAUSE" command, which stops all events until a key is pressed.

The game has a cast of non-player characters (NPCs) entirely independent of the player and bound to precisely the same game rules. They have loyalties, strengths and personalities that affect their behaviour and cannot always be predicted. The character of Gandalf, for example, would roam freely around the game world (some fifty locations), picking up objects, getting into fights and being captured.

The volatility of the characters, coupled with the rich physics and impossible-to-predict fighting system, enabled the game to be played in many different ways, though this would also lead to problems (such as an important character being killed early on). There are numerous possible solutions and with hindsight the game might be regarded as one of the first examples of 'emergent gaming'. This also resulted, however, in many bugs; for example, during development Megler found that the animal NPCs killed each other before the player arrived. The game's documentation warned that "Due to the immense size and complexity of this game it is impossible to guarantee that it will ever be completely error-free". Melbourne House issued a version 1.1 with some fixes, but with another bug that resulted in the game being unwinnable, forcing it to release version 1.2, and the company never fixed all bugs.

I'll be focussing on more Capcom stuff that I'm short - stuff like Famicom Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, I might go after a few more Game and Watch Handhelds as well.

I might also go after more Saturn stuff (love the system) and I'd really like to grab some more Neo Geo KOF titles.

Think I'm going to be rounding out my PS2 collection somewhat soon. Honestly there aren't that many more games I want for the system. The PS2 has a ridiculously large library, but I'm a bit picky about that generation of games for whatever reason.

PSX collection still has some gaping holes, and that market seems to have stabilized again. For a while this year it was looking nasty but things are a bit more reasonable recently. Suikoden II is back at about 90-100$.

GB/C and PSP are fun as fuck to collect for and pretty cheap, so I'll have my eyes on the 20 or so games I'm immediately interested in for those libraries, but I don't think I'll be going after them in the same way I'll be hunting for PSX titles.

And... I still haven't started my SFC collection proper. Been wanting to do it for ages but I always struggle with starting a new collection when I don't have the system. Even though a console costs less than 2 new game releases.

My wife just got me 100 universal game cases, so I'll probably finish off my N64 wants. From there I'll keep collecting Genesis games that I still want.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Whatever I want. Started making enough bank that I can pretty much buy whatever, which is a nice change from when I was in law school. Probably going to focus on the PS1, though, because I've been wanting to round out that RPG collection for a long time. I've got most of the essentials, but I'm missing stuff like the Breath of Fire Games, Parasite Eve, Arc the Lad, etc. But I did nab some of the holy grails like Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile, and some essentials like Vagrant Story. And I finally bought a PSOne a few days ago. It's gonna be cool.

I have GOT to get a Framemeister soon. I'll keep up my focus on NES, with the occasional SNES purchase if I find a deal. Otherwise I plan to get into Genesis collecting. I never owned a Genny in the day and it's really catching my fancy right now.

D.Lo

I remember reading an article by an adventure game reviewer explaining how he was impressed by games like The Hobbit back then.
This kind of thing is typically part of the narrative of 'sophisticated PC games, and I'm sure back in 1982 it was fun and amazing to people to see a 'storybook come to life'.

But I can't find anything impressive about it. It's a design that can literally be done with pen and paper.. It's a straight tree of text commands to pass each section, and of course looks hideous. Supporting five different verbs for 'attack' does not make it a any less of a primitive design at its core. Meanwhile consoles had the incredibly impressive Colecovision stuff at the same time.

PC game makers made these because PC couldn't produce good graphics, especially scrolling graphics. Adventure games lived and died on their narrative and dialogue, because they were more book than game.

I feel pitfall 2 is a weird missing link between 2600 and NES
I'll almost agree with that actually, most impressive VCS game for the time. But it was 1984 - The Famicom was already out two years at its release. There were already many far more impressive Famicom games out, Pitfall 2 had ambition but was still stuck with the clunky Atari control and graphics.

Seriously. EGA and CGA graphics + obtuse everything =/= sophisticated.

I played a lot of PC games back in the day, but let's not pretend like the needlessly complicated RPGs and sims were particularly fun.
Yep. You can make those adventure and RPG games on consoles no problem, and with much better graphics and music too. They did a lot of them in Japan. But they chose not to make or release many of them in the west because they didn't sell because nobody wanted them when they had better choices.

And, I might add, a decent gamepad. Controllers really held back PC gaming in the 80s IMO. I've been getting into MSX and at least it had a few decent controllers, much better than the crappy flight stick type things that were all we had available for Apple/IBM/Commodore 64 etc back in the 80s.

while I'm poor-- flesh out the japanese ps1, ps2, and dreamcast collection. I'm about done on the ps2...or so I think.

after getting work-- well, lets go for a supergun time

edit: oh yeah and a good crt that I can actually pay people to move into my hopefully semi-permanent place.

I'll almost agree with that actually, most impressive VCS game for the time. But it was 1984 - The Famicom was already out two years at its release. There were already many far more impressive Famicom games out, Pitfall 2 had ambition but was still stuck with the clunky Atari control and graphics.

ah right, didn't even think of that.

man, i will forever reject DLo's argument on inflation/how much it cost new etc - that's all well & good, no one cared for like decades so most games were $10-20, if that. seeing some even common ones clear $100+...the only way i'm gonna feel okay is if i subscribe to your madness while i'm justifying paying too much for something, haha

also, have ya'll seen Mcbremakes? some awesome stuff there

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think this year, I will finally get that Framemeister, and a few of the arcade compilations that was released in the sixth gen. But my first priority is actually a decent tv bench that can hold the consoles and also look decently.

D.Lo

man, i will forever reject DLo's argument on inflation/how much it cost new etc - that's all well & good, no one cared for like decades so most games were $10-20, if that. seeing some even common ones clear $100+...the only way i'm gonna feel okay is if i subscribe to your madness while i'm justifying paying too much for something, haha
Been drinking dude? ;)

Crying won't make prices go down. Cry or do not, there is no (Earthbound CIB) buy.

also, have ya'll seen Mcbremakes? some awesome stuff there
Bookmarked, that is cool.

Anyone have experience with printing covers from the cover project? I need to print covers for N64 games and SNES games. I know the N64 covers need to be resized in Photoshop because of the artwork on the spine. My question is, are the custom covers made to fit without resizing to fit the universal game cases? I would like uniformity, but there are 75 I need to do and would be fine if the customs fit the cases.

Teknoman

Anyone have experience with printing covers from the cover project? I need to print covers for N64 games and SNES games. I know the N64 covers need to be resized in Photoshop because of the artwork on the spine. My question is, are the custom covers made to fit without resizing to fit the universal game cases? I would like uniformity, but there are 75 I need to do and would be fine if the customs fit the cases.

Most are made to fit for UGC. You dont have to use photoshop, just MS paint (unless you want to go with PS).

What I do is:

Open in paint, go to page setup, size to legal, landscape orientation, click adjust to 100%, and then center hori and vert. If the image is still centered in the example square, you're good to go. Some of the covers there are off ratio for some reason or another, but the majority are good. Used that set up for anything SNES,Genesis,N64,PS2,etc and its always fit perfect for whatever case designed for.

Top Bottom