• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

I think dungeon crawlers are in a good state right now, and appeal to those who prefer older schools of game design. Bit too anime at times but generally good.

it's funny that anime is the style that saved some 2D fighters & SHMUPs...like, it's hard to find entries in niche genres that didn't get coupled with that

yeah... My theory is that the people really in to that sort of anime (moe, skimpily outfitted girls, etc.) just buy anything, so it guarantees sales. Madness how widespread it is, though.

Timu

There are many reasons to prefer retro games to modern games, but for me the main one is ease of recording them for youtube playthroughs. Having games under an hour or 2 puts less stress on myself and allow me to make more of them easier and faster as well even if some games are so hard it'll take me hours before perfecting them.

Thanks for all the responses.

Have you looked into series like Yakuza, or anything developed by Falcom?
I tired Trails in the Sky 1 PSP on my Vita but I got really tired of all the talking. The battle system is a bit confusing at first, seems like it could be neat, but I don't really like all the dialog. I might give it another try at some point.

I've been meaning to give an Ys game a shot but I haven't seen a great sale lately. There were some on Steam but I'd kinda rather play on Vita.

Yakuza I tried 4 on PS3 when I had that from PS+ before I cancelled that service. I wasn't too impressed from what I played (an hour?). What is it about these games that you like?

MikeMyers

Hey RetroGAF,

Any of you ever get to the point where you're just totally uninterested in new games that are coming out? Has it gotten to the point where you totally stopped buying recent games & consoles?

This past year or so of games especially, despite a lot of people seeming to be really excited by what's available, I just don't see much of interest for me. And 2016's list is pretty small. In another thread someone put out an image of every big game coming next year and I think I was interested in maybe 2 / 30 or so.

Pretty much the only new stuff I like any more is some Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem) and Dragon Quest. These are mostly games that stay very consistent and similar to older games in their series, and are mostly very old series.

I've been trying to play some different stuff but not so much is sticking. I found that I like Musou games way, way more than I expected, but I don't really need to buy 8 of these per year and could probably just stick to what I own now. I gave Rise of the Tomb Raider a shot recently (360 ver lol) and it was nice in some ways, like the exploration and tomb puzzles were neat but it was kinda just buried in mediocre shooting garbage and boring cinematic nonsense. Also I was pretty surprised to find out that Minecraft was a thing I like a couple years ago as well but since then I've kinda lost interest.

In the past little while I've realized:
  1. I really don't like FPSes, or third-person shooters, or gun/shooting focused games in general. This includes "FPSRPGs"
  2. I just never enjoy online multiplayer. I don't want to coordinate with friends to play online, I'd rather just play in person, and I don't want to play with asshole strangers.
  3. Open world games mostly bore me. They have some addicting mechanics but I don't really enjoy them. I could pick out individual games/series but they're all converging on being almost the same.
  4. I don't care about stories in games. They almost always suck. The cinematic focused garbage that septuple-A games all seem to have these days just bores me to tears.

My gaming PC has seen very little use in the last couple years to the point where I'm not even sure it's worth upgrading, with the Steam library I have mostly sitting unused. I bought a PS3 really late (2013) and I realized a couple weeks ago almost all the games I have on it and use are HD Remasters or PS1/PS2 classics.

I have a Wii U, it's been pretty good with a decent set of games I like, but I don't think I'll get an NX. I was planning on getting a PS4/XBONE eventually but I don't know if it's really worth it since I could just dig into my older games -- plus I keep saying "oh all the best games I can just play on my PC" but I don't even do that.

I would kinda keep going with the Nintendo/3DS stuff since it mostly still feels old-style to me but some of the stuff they're doing lately (AMIIBOOOOO) just really doesn't sit so well with me, and while I hope that new Zelda is good I have a feeling they'll go a little too hard on the open world aspect. That and I kind of have enough Pokemon games to suit me for basically forever, enough Mario Karts... I feel like once the 3DS is done I could pretty easily bow out of new games for a long time, and if it turns out some of that is good it's not like I can't just buy it way, way late.

Has anyone else ended up in the same place? Like stop buying new stuff altogether and just focus on what you have, enjoy mostly retro stuff finding interesting new old games, etc. I don't really like buying DLC and I could see people get totally offput from new games based on that in the last 10 years.
Yeah, I'm the same. I only play retro systems now. Through I do have a PS3, but only kept it for Netflix lol.

Peltz

Hey RetroGAF,

Any of you ever get to the point where you're just totally uninterested in new games that are coming out? Has it gotten to the point where you totally stopped buying recent games & consoles?

This past year or so of games especially, despite a lot of people seeming to be really excited by what's available, I just don't see much of interest for me. And 2016's list is pretty small. In another thread someone put out an image of every big game coming next year and I think I was interested in maybe 2 / 30 or so.

Pretty much the only new stuff I like any more is some Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem) and Dragon Quest. These are mostly games that stay very consistent and similar to older games in their series, and are mostly very old series.

I've been trying to play some different stuff but not so much is sticking. I found that I like Musou games way, way more than I expected, but I don't really need to buy 8 of these per year and could probably just stick to what I own now. I gave Rise of the Tomb Raider a shot recently (360 ver lol) and it was nice in some ways, like the exploration and tomb puzzles were neat but it was kinda just buried in mediocre shooting garbage and boring cinematic nonsense. Also I was pretty surprised to find out that Minecraft was a thing I like a couple years ago as well but since then I've kinda lost interest.

In the past little while I've realized:
  1. I really don't like FPSes, or third-person shooters, or gun/shooting focused games in general. This includes "FPSRPGs"
  2. I just never enjoy online multiplayer. I don't want to coordinate with friends to play online, I'd rather just play in person, and I don't want to play with asshole strangers.
  3. Open world games mostly bore me. They have some addicting mechanics but I don't really enjoy them. I could pick out individual games/series but they're all converging on being almost the same.
  4. I don't care about stories in games. They almost always suck. The cinematic focused garbage that septuple-A games all seem to have these days just bores me to tears.

My gaming PC has seen very little use in the last couple years to the point where I'm not even sure it's worth upgrading, with the Steam library I have mostly sitting unused. I bought a PS3 really late (2013) and I realized a couple weeks ago almost all the games I have on it and use are HD Remasters or PS1/PS2 classics.

I have a Wii U, it's been pretty good with a decent set of games I like, but I don't think I'll get an NX. I was planning on getting a PS4/XBONE eventually but I don't know if it's really worth it since I could just dig into my older games -- plus I keep saying "oh all the best games I can just play on my PC" but I don't even do that.

I would kinda keep going with the Nintendo/3DS stuff since it mostly still feels old-style to me but some of the stuff they're doing lately (AMIIBOOOOO) just really doesn't sit so well with me, and while I hope that new Zelda is good I have a feeling they'll go a little too hard on the open world aspect. That and I kind of have enough Pokemon games to suit me for basically forever, enough Mario Karts... I feel like once the 3DS is done I could pretty easily bow out of new games for a long time, and if it turns out some of that is good it's not like I can't just buy it way, way late.

Has anyone else ended up in the same place? Like stop buying new stuff altogether and just focus on what you have, enjoy mostly retro stuff finding interesting new old games, etc. I don't really like buying DLC and I could see people get totally offput from new games based on that in the last 10 years.

Have you tried any of the Souls games? Rocket League? Splatoon?

I feel like there are a lot of great games being made. Maybe you'll enjoy VR when it comes along? I found DK2 to be absolutely mind-blowing.... like Super Mario 64 for the first time all over again. And the retail headsets are supposed to be even better than that.

It's great to appreciate the classics. But I think it's also important to try and enjoy new games.

It's true that the "cinematic" games suck if you're a retro gamer who is looking for pure gameplay, but it's easy enough to avoid those.

D.Lo

Time for some Nintendo ZeroDS

IMG_6050e2681.jpg

Though I guess that makes the Game and Watch -1 DS...

I'm in the same boat when it comes to new games. 2015 was mostly a retro/Nintendo year for me. I did enjoy bloodborne and axiom verge( both games are arguably retro in different ways) on the ps4 though. Transformers devastation was great fun as well. One thing I find odd is that Indy games are starting to appeal to me. listening to the giant bomb GOTY podcasts made me realize there's so many great Indy games I missed out on. Hack net, ori, undertale,her story just to name a few. I really think shovel knight is what made me realize I preferred retro games over modern games. I bought that on a whim, at launch, and I fell in love with it.

For the most part I've been a PC gamer my whole life. As a result my 8/16/32/64 bit backlog is... Daunting. Hell I didn't even start playing console games till the 360/PS3 and that's the gen that killed it for me.

Long story short: play what you find fun. There's lots of new games on the horizon that look interesting to me ( pun intended) but I'm no
Longer excited by them and I'm no longer disappointed when they bomb.

Has anyone else here got the SNK Arcade Collection Volume 0 (the pre Neo Geo games). I've been playing the Asian copy I got this week and while some of the (limited) options in the collection are in Japanese I notice that certain games (the oldest) like Ikari Warriors don't seem to allow for continues. Is that the case? Is there no secret option menu to tweak lives, continues and difficulty? As these games are brutal (glad I love difficult games!). Seriously, playing stuff like P.O.W, Ikari Warriors 1&3, Vanguard and all of them are pretty unforgiving from the get go (and in some spots, unfair). Plus the controls aren't technically perfect on Ikari Warriors 1&3 thanks to the lack of the rotary joystick.

It seems like a great collection, but unlike the Capcom Generations Collections (which I felt had limited options as it were) there are even less options in this collection. Pity as I'd personally have loved difficulty and continue options as a standard for all the games in the collection.

tuco11

Hope this is the right place. I got a Nvidia Shield Tv for Xmas. I downloaded Retroarch from the Google play store but it doesnt seem to work. Is there a better version of it I can get somewhere else?

thanks!

entremet

Have you tried any of the Souls games? Rocket League? Splatoon?

I feel like there are a lot of great games being made. Maybe you'll enjoy VR when it comes along? I found DK2 to be absolutely mind-blowing.... like Super Mario 64 for the first time all over again. And the retail headsets are supposed to be even better than that.

It's great to appreciate the classics. But I think it's also important to try and enjoy new games.

It's true that the "cinematic" games suck if you're a retro gamer who is looking for pure gameplay, but it's easy enough to avoid those.

Yeah the indie scene plus crowdfunding has been a godsend for me.

I still enjoy Nintendo games, as they haven't succumbed to cinema AAA style gaming, old school JRPGs and stuff like Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, and the upcoming Indivisible.

Added with huge retro catalogs to explore and I'm pretty set with this hobby for life lol.

That said, I love many new games too. It's just that majority of the AAA stuff doesn't speak to me. And that's fine. I have enough games to play.

How about 52nd and 9th Totto Ramen? I went for lunch yesterday. Awesome food!

yum! yeah ramen hit's the spot.

Halal Guys cart is pretty famous but nothing special, since you're in the vicinity it's an interesting grab to experience since the weather is so nice out. (just don't put the hot sauce on, it'll kill you)

also Hoboken NJ has major major good food. if that's near you

Teknoman

Man if those were Sennheiser quality, i'd wear em.

EDIT: Anyone else start uploading things/streaming/ a website/ etc. for the new year and want to be added to the list?

Danchi

I recently ordered an AV Famicom but it doesn't come with any cables (I'm pretty sure this is how they were sold originally). I'll use the composite cable I got with my Super Famicom (unless I'm mistaken, this is the best I can hope for without modding it?), but I'm wondering what power supply to use.

I'm in the UK and have read that it should work fine with a model one Mega Drive power supply. Is this right?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I recently ordered an AV Famicom but it doesn't come with any cables (I'm pretty sure this is how they were sold originally). I'll use the composite cable I got with my Super Famicom (unless I'm mistaken, this is the best I can hope for without modding it?), but I'm wondering what power supply to use.

I'm in the UK and have read that it should work fine with a model one Mega Drive power supply. Is this right?

Thats what I use and it works fine.

I use a model 1 MD power supply on my AV Famicom and it works perfectly fine as well.

Morfeo

So every time i go to youtube to see a review or gameplay footage, I get recommended this terrible "MetalJesusRocks"-channel that I always hated but for some reason have an incredible viewership. I wonder why youtube feel the need to shove this old rocker down my throat all the time, could it have to do with him paying for advertisement? So annoying.

D.Lo

Khaz

YES I love this stuff. 80s industrial design hnnnng.

So do cassette players work across computers? Like I could get one that works with MSX and C64 or something?

Pretty much. Data was stored as audio and it's just a matter of figuring out how to feed mono audio in/out to the computer. Spectrum used two standard Jack sockets so it's cool, Amstrad and MSX had a single DIN so it's only a matter of finding/making the right cable. I'm not familiar with the C64, but it seems you need an additional board between the cassette player and the computer, as the Datassette Player had some specific electronics in it.

Some computers had an additional control pin that, if the player was compatible, would stop the cassette once the program was successfully loaded. But it's always optional.

koopas

So every time i go to youtube to see a review or gameplay footage, I get recommended this terrible "MetalJesusRocks"-channel that I always hated but for some reason have an incredible viewership. I wonder why youtube feel the need to shove this old rocker down my throat all the time, could it have to do with him paying for advertisement? So annoying.
He seems like a really nice guy, like hang out and have a beer sort of guy. I like him because I know he truly enjoy the games he reviews. I think that comes across in his videos.

Khaz

Oh as you're into MSX, you know about SymbOS, right? I love the idea of having a modern multitasking desktop on an old Z80 computer.
I don't have an MSX but I've been playing with the CPC version,which rocks its four colours.
The latest beta has online capabilities (games and messaging) on the MSX. So cool.
[edit] It's MSX2 only, not MSX. Sorry for the confusion.

Rongolian

Banned

Every time I see you post I agree with you. I was subscribed to MetalJesus for over a year when his channel was small, then he did a series of views with a certain female guest and they kept making pre-teen lewd sexual jokes while counting down best video games and I had to check out.

I've been back to his channel a few times, but what always nope out of there when I see his NES composite video recordings.

D.Lo

Oh as you're into MSX, you know about SymbOS, right? I love the idea of having a modern multitasking desktop on an old Z80 computer.
I don't have an MSX but I've been playing with the CPC version,which rocks its four colours.
The latest beta has online capabilities (games and messaging) on the MSX. So cool.
[edit] It's MSX2 only, not MSX. Sorry for the confusion.
Ha yeah. Man nerds do some crazy stuff for fun.

Whenever I get around to getting an MSX flash cart I'll try stuff like that.

So I finally managed to tick off a game I've wanted to finish for quite a while yesterday - Ghosts n Goblins (arcade version).

I've only ever managed to clear the Famicom version, and had always wanted to clear the arcade original as well... I love this game so much though, even with a couple of the faults the game has. Its tough, but damn is the game so fun to play when you get the hang of it!

I had a weird problem with my playthrough - all the online guides suggest if you defeat the level 6 bosses without the cross weapon you should be booted back to stage 5. However the game (Saturn port) booted me back to the start of level 6 instead. Level 6 does not have much in the way of weapon drops so it became pretty much impossible to clear. So I just restarted the game from scratch instead as it was quicker in the long run!

The cross/shield sucks though. Not as bad as the torch maybe but the range is feeble at best. However at least it lets you destroy enemy projectiles so its not all bad! Still the fight against the dragon early on in stage 6 was a pain.

My other pet peeve was with the duck controls. Arthur doesn't automatically rise when you press left/right which is a pain. You also can't jump left/right when ducking, you'll just do a neutral jump. That took a ton of getting used to, it was a pain in the beginning taking hits when I wanted to leap left/right to avoid enemies or attacks.

Overall though once I got used to the above I really got into the game. Despite the second playhrough apparently raising the difficulty, I actually ran through the stages with no issue up to stage 5, which still took a few tries. The final boss is laughably easy though, in fact none of the bosses are actually fairly straight forward, which is a relief really after how challenging each stage is!

Every time I see you post I agree with you. I was subscribed to MetalJesus for over a year when his channel was small, then he did a series of views with a certain female guest and they kept making pre-teen lewd sexual jokes while counting down best video games and I had to check out.

I've been back to his channel a few times, but what always nope out of there when I see his NES composite video recordings.

I like metaljesus as well but lately I find myself not even looking at his videos. Most of the time I realise be doesn't have any idea what hes talking about. It's pretty clear he is playing games long enough to capture some composite footage to shit out another video.

And my god. Running everything through some massive composite splitter on a modern TV...shit. At least go back to the crt.

Teknoman

Hey so I was thinking...if I give away some cheap retro stuff...think it would be best to do it in the specific appreciation threads or in the free to a good home thread?

Morfeo

Haha that is interesting and fun to hear!

He seems like a really nice guy, like hang out and have a beer sort of guy. I like him because I know he truly enjoy the games he reviews. I think that comes across in his videos.

Im sure he is a nice guy and all, I just dont understand why a metal jesus-guy would have anything interesting to say about video games, that "gimmick" makes me way less open to check out his channel - and youtube is still showing him down my throat.

Anyways, an amazing amount of disgracing posts in the reaction thread to the retail Sega 3D Classics. Also very interesting to see that all the members of Retro-gaf was happy - while a ton of names Ive never seen before was unhappy. Shows you who's the connoisseurs :)

Im sure he is a nice guy and all, I just dont understand why a metal jesus-guy would have anything interesting to say about video games, that "gimmick" makes me way less open to check out his channel - and youtube is still showing him down my throat.

There's a youtube channel blocker extension for Chrome that's good for getting rid of his channel, AlphaOmegaBarf, and all the other garbage game related channels.

Anyways, an amazing amount of disgracing posts in the reaction thread to the retail Sega 3D Classics. Also very interesting to see that all the members of Retro-gaf was happy - while a ton of names Ive never seen before was unhappy. Shows you who's the connoisseurs :)
But bro there's a Sega Genesis Collection on PSP for like $2 on sale with perfect emulation, or even just emulate on your phone for free with enhanced widescreen HD 2xSaI scaling, and how dare they even make this for 3DS it should be on Steam, and where's my Shenmue HD Collection exclusively for PS4????

entremet

I like metaljesus as well but lately I find myself not even looking at his videos. Most of the time I realise be doesn't have any idea what hes talking about. It's pretty clear he is playing games long enough to capture some composite footage to shit out another video.

And my god. Running everything through some massive composite splitter on a modern TV...shit. At least go back to the crt.

Almost all Youtubers use composite for retro. The others just use emulation.

RGB and Framemeister is really inside baseball stuff. Only the MLIG guys and Phonedork do RGB.

I like MJR. I think with YT you just need dial down your expectations. These are amateurs and it shows. But I'm a huge YT fiend in general.

The MLiG guys are also pro video producers and spend hours on their videos.

Haha that is interesting and fun to hear!

It's just the YT algorithm. You must watch a lot of games videos.

Turn off Autoplay.

Top Bottom