• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

i did just like Tekno - even went in & manually checked the measurements on each before printing (no small feat, i did a few hundred i wanna say) and he's right, most are on point

the trick for me was i wanted to use kinko's laser cutter thing to separate them from the outlying paper/borders, as my doing that by hand with the big cutter thing is usually disastrous - and with that tool, they didn't all line up exact, so i had to make some compromises...never with text or images, mind.

colors came out great though, and considering you look at the spine of these things 90%+ of the time, still happy with how it came out

now, if i had some $ to throw around? PCE board has 3d printed some replacement hucard trays for CD jewel cases, it'd be so awesome to get some of t hose & the sticker labels to make em look legit! right now my loosies are just in hucard sleeves.

i should soon, my girl has professional camera equipment & i take shit pics with my phone, so i thought it'd be better to wait on her so you can actually read the spines, haha

though if anyone wants shots of covers/etc lemme know! ill say this, most came out great but even at a kinko's, there's a few where i could tell the black levels were a bit lower (imagine how much of that SNES covers use)

i should soon, my girl has professional camera equipment & i take shit pics with my phone, so i thought it'd be better to wait on her so you can actually read the spines, haha

though if anyone wants shots of covers/etc lemme know! ill say this, most came out great but even at a kinko's, there's a few where i could tell the black levels were a bit lower (imagine how much of that SNES covers use)

oh nice! looking forward to this

Teknoman

The "RPG problem" still hits me even in retro lol. Havent been playing anything except Xenogears since im sure i'm close to the end, or at least the second disc.

The "RPG problem" still hits me even in retro lol. Havent been playing anything except Xenogears since im sure i'm close to the end, or at least the second disc.

Getting to play Xenogears for the first time? That sounds like the opposite of a problem to me.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
How long is Xenogears? I need a new rpg/bigger project soon, and that one is definitely on my list along with Final Fantasy IX, Lufia 1, Breath of Fire 2, Phantasy Star and Shining in the Darkness.

D.Lo

I really wanted to play Xenogears back in the day, but no PAL release.

And I haven't finished an RPG in like 10 years now. Superstar Saga was the last one! They just take too much time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Superstar Saga is a great one though!

I usually play 3 or 4 rpgs every year. Last year, I completed the first Fire Emblem that came to the west, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest VI and Dark Souls. But most of the time I play shorter stuff like plattformers and arcade-games. In search of my first for this year, but probably wont be Xenogears then.

My first playthrough of Xenogears took me 80 hours.

I guess I won't be playing this anytime soon. I dropped Xenoblade because of the length.

I prefer my RPG's around 25-30 hours, I have the attention span of a flea now that I'm older and just can't enjoy something that long. I enjoy platformers and arcade games more now than I have before.

StevieWhite

I guess I won't be playing this anytime soon. I dropped Xenoblade because of the length.

I prefer my RPG's around 25-30 hours, I have the attention span of a flea now that I'm older and just can't enjoy something that long. I enjoy platformers and arcade games more now than I have before.

Ditto on that. After 50 hours of a conventional RPG I really start to think about all the other things I could have done with the time. 30 is really the sweet spot though. Long enough for narrative depth, but short enough to consider replaying.

The exception is Bethesda games, which I tend to play for over 100 hours over a period of years.

Ditto on that. After 50 hours of a conventional RPG I really start to think about all the other things I could have done with the time. 30 is really the sweet spot though. Long enough for narrative depth, but short enough to consider replaying.

The exception is Bethesda games, which I tend to play for over 100 hours over a period of years.

guys, you won't regret finishing it. xenogears has one of the most original stories i played, took me about 50, most of it is on the first disc. highly recommend it =)

Your avatar looks like it's from an old game, which one?

yeah, i'm at a point where i don't like playing things super long right now either - fortunately, a bunch of classic JRPGs on my list are shorter (Arc the lad, Albert Odyssey, Shining: Holy Ark, Grandia i wanna say?)

100 or so hours is what i put into Yakuza and Souls games, and not every often thankfully, haha

guys, you won't regret finishing it. xenogears has one of the most original stories i played, took me about 50, most of it is on the first disc. highly recommend it =)

agreed, i loved Xenogears...but man, you must've blazed through it, felt way longer for me!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Xenogears is a long game. I think it took me like 40 hours, though I tend to play through RPGs pretty quickly.

Still one of my all-time favorites. I really should go play it again... it's been about 7 years.

yeah, i'm at a point where i don't like playing things super long right now either - fortunately, a bunch of classic JRPGs on my list are shorter (Arc the lad, Albert Odyssey, Shining: Holy Ark, Grandia i wanna say?)

100 or so hours is what i put into Yakuza and Souls games, and not every often thankfully, haha

agreed, i loved Xenogears...but man, you must've blazed through it, felt way longer for me!
don't know if it was in gamepro or egm but i remember a tip in a magazine that i used back in the days solely for backtracking areas. jump then move to avoid encounters. lol

any tips non gamegenie i thought was legit before the internet. heheh
phantasy star II pause as you walk.
nes metroid scroll up through a wall using jump and morphball - that was the first tip in ninendo fun club that was really helpful =)

nes metroid rapid fire using select button.

oh wow, never did that or the metroid rapid fire one but i know damn sure i milked that PSII one a bit when i was tired of encounters, haha

oh wow, never did that or the metroid rapid fire one but i know damn sure i milked that PSII one a bit when i was tired of encounters, haha

the two metroid tips were in the first issue of Nintendo fun club. at least the first issue that got. i had the advantage but was awkward and was too cheap to get a max.
once you get missiles you can use any other button in conjunction with holding down B to simulate rapid fire. i tap forward a bit =)

PSII, forgetting that escapipe... spammed that menu screen all the way back! =)

yAlbert Odyssey, Shining: Holy Ark, Grandia

These are all awesomeI would put Grandia as the one I enjoyed the most.

Your avatar looks like it's from an old game, which one?

Yeah Night Trap

Night_Trap_Cover.jpg

Not sure if this is supposed to be Kelly (Dana Plato) or Lisa (Debra Parks). Maybe CJ knows?

phantasy star II pause as you walk.

I'll have to remember this if I get around to playing it.

I agree that theres always exceptions. I put almost 100 hours into Dragon Age Inquisition and Bravely Default. It's not often a game world sucks me in to the point where I want to read everything about the lore and explore every crack and crevice.

RPGs have to have really strong character building/side content for me not to be painfully bored by 45 hours or so.

Garbage dungeons in Persona 4 almost did me in. P3 is worse.

RPGs have to have really strong character building/side content for me not to be painfully bored by 45 hours or so.

Garbage dungeons in Persona 4 almost did me in. P3 is worse.

Garbage dungeons in Persona 4 did me in and the high school simulator too. I loved the characters, but hated the dungeons. I played it on the Vita btw.

Garbage dungeons in Persona 4 did me in and the high school simulator too. I loved the characters, but hated the dungeons. I played it on the Vita btw.
Yeah I played through on vita most recently. The dungeons are just sterile. I don't mind the VN stuff, but the dungeons were just awful. Even smtiv has markedly better dungeons

oh, please believe i'll be putting 80-90 hours into Persona 5, whenever it drops! gonna be a rough time with my roommate on it too, haha

Xenogears is one of the games that I had to ban myself from replaying. With how long it is it was just unacceptable for me to keep going back to it for full clears.

D.Lo

I mean I say RPGs take up too much time, then I spend a whole week only scratching the surface of 25 different 2D fighting games.

Guess I'm just ADD/can't commit.

Teknoman

I'm going to try to git gud at shmups

More power to you. In any game that allows you to use bombs, time them at the last second possible (especially when they cancel bullets).

EDIT: I vote we start calling Shmups "STGs" for 2016.

Full Extent of the Jam was ECM (Diehard Gamefan, wave 2)'s intro guide that got me thinking about all the ways i play SHMUPs wrong...maybe it'll help!

"You cannot play DoDonPachi well if your hands are cold. Under 20
degrees celcius, your fingers are significantly less efficient without warm up, and
even if you're playing with a stick that matters for your buttons timing. So if you
feel your hands are a little cold, warm up before playing, for example by
immersing your hands in hot water for a few minutes."

Daaaamn.

Kinda funny since I used to put my thumbs in water whenever my friends/family and I reached a final boss back in the day. Pause, cool off thumbs, serious business time.

Teknoman

True. I've got several videos from me playing Faxanadu first time, and still havent gotten around to processing and uploading.

Peltz

I could play RPGs and not feel like a waste of life, but I have to put all of my other games on hold to do so.

They are just too big. I replayed Chrono Trigger recently and it took a full month to beat without me playing anything else.

It took literally 4 weeks to amass 30 or so hours of game time.

Hey RetroGAF,

Any of you ever get to the point where you're just totally uninterested in new games that are coming out? Has it gotten to the point where you totally stopped buying recent games & consoles?

This past year or so of games especially, despite a lot of people seeming to be really excited by what's available, I just don't see much of interest for me. And 2016's list is pretty small. In another thread someone put out an image of every big game coming next year and I think I was interested in maybe 2 / 30 or so.

Pretty much the only new stuff I like any more is some Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem) and Dragon Quest. These are mostly games that stay very consistent and similar to older games in their series, and are mostly very old series.

I've been trying to play some different stuff but not so much is sticking. I found that I like Musou games way, way more than I expected, but I don't really need to buy 8 of these per year and could probably just stick to what I own now. I gave Rise of the Tomb Raider a shot recently (360 ver lol) and it was nice in some ways, like the exploration and tomb puzzles were neat but it was kinda just buried in mediocre shooting garbage and boring cinematic nonsense. Also I was pretty surprised to find out that Minecraft was a thing I like a couple years ago as well but since then I've kinda lost interest.

In the past little while I've realized:
  1. I really don't like FPSes, or third-person shooters, or gun/shooting focused games in general. This includes "FPSRPGs"
  2. I just never enjoy online multiplayer. I don't want to coordinate with friends to play online, I'd rather just play in person, and I don't want to play with asshole strangers.
  3. Open world games mostly bore me. They have some addicting mechanics but I don't really enjoy them. I could pick out individual games/series but they're all converging on being almost the same.
  4. I don't care about stories in games. They almost always suck. The cinematic focused garbage that septuple-A games all seem to have these days just bores me to tears.

My gaming PC has seen very little use in the last couple years to the point where I'm not even sure it's worth upgrading, with the Steam library I have mostly sitting unused. I bought a PS3 really late (2013) and I realized a couple weeks ago almost all the games I have on it and use are HD Remasters or PS1/PS2 classics.

I have a Wii U, it's been pretty good with a decent set of games I like, but I don't think I'll get an NX. I was planning on getting a PS4/XBONE eventually but I don't know if it's really worth it since I could just dig into my older games -- plus I keep saying "oh all the best games I can just play on my PC" but I don't even do that.

I would kinda keep going with the Nintendo/3DS stuff since it mostly still feels old-style to me but some of the stuff they're doing lately (AMIIBOOOOO) just really doesn't sit so well with me, and while I hope that new Zelda is good I have a feeling they'll go a little too hard on the open world aspect. That and I kind of have enough Pokemon games to suit me for basically forever, enough Mario Karts... I feel like once the 3DS is done I could pretty easily bow out of new games for a long time, and if it turns out some of that is good it's not like I can't just buy it way, way late.

Has anyone else ended up in the same place? Like stop buying new stuff altogether and just focus on what you have, enjoy mostly retro stuff finding interesting new old games, etc. I don't really like buying DLC and I could see people get totally offput from new games based on that in the last 10 years.

i just buy handheld stuff and occasional crpgs/indies/etc. on steam.

I go through phases where I only buy retro stuff, but I inevitably get bored. I've never been one to buy every new release or anything, though. I wouldn't do that even if funds weren't an issue.

Hey RetroGAF,

Any of you ever get to the point where you're just totally uninterested in new games that are coming out? Has it gotten to the point where you totally stopped buying recent games & consoles?

This past year or so of games especially, despite a lot of people seeming to be really excited by what's available, I just don't see much of interest for me. And 2016's list is pretty small. In another thread someone put out an image of every big game coming next year and I think I was interested in maybe 2 / 30 or so.

Pretty much the only new stuff I like any more is some Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem) and Dragon Quest. These are mostly games that stay very consistent and similar to older games in their series, and are mostly very old series.

I've been trying to play some different stuff but not so much is sticking. I found that I like Musou games way, way more than I expected, but I don't really need to buy 8 of these per year and could probably just stick to what I own now. I gave Rise of the Tomb Raider a shot recently (360 ver lol) and it was nice in some ways, like the exploration and tomb puzzles were neat but it was kinda just buried in mediocre shooting garbage and boring cinematic nonsense. Also I was pretty surprised to find out that Minecraft was a thing I like a couple years ago as well but since then I've kinda lost interest.

1. I really don't like FPSes, or third-person shooters, or gun/shooting focused games in general. This includes "FPSRPGs"
  2. I just never enjoy online multiplayer. I don't want to coordinate with friends to play online, I'd rather just play in person, and I don't want to play with asshole strangers.
  3. Open world games mostly bore me. They have some addicting mechanics but I don't really enjoy them. I could pick out individual games/series but they're all converging on being almost the same.
  4. I don't care about stories in games. They almost always suck. The cinematic focused garbage that septuple-A games all seem to have these days just bores me to tears.

My gaming PC has seen very little use in the last couple years to the point where I'm not even sure it's worth upgrading, with the Steam library I have mostly sitting unused. I bought a PS3 really late (2013) and I realized a couple weeks ago almost all the games I have on it and use are HD Remasters or PS1/PS2 classics.

I have a Wii U, it's been pretty good with a decent set of games I like, but I don't think I'll get an NX. I was planning on getting a PS4/XBONE eventually but I don't know if it's really worth it since I could just dig into my older games -- plus I keep saying "oh all the best games I can just play on my PC" but I don't even do that.

I would kinda keep going with the Nintendo/3DS stuff since it mostly still feels old-style to me but some of the stuff they're doing lately (AMIIBOOOOO) just really doesn't sit so well with me, and while I hope that new Zelda is good I have a feeling they'll go a little too hard on the open world aspect. That and I kind of have enough Pokemon games to suit me for basically forever, enough Mario Karts... I feel like once the 3DS is done I could pretty easily bow out of new games for a long time, and if it turns out some of that is good it's not like I can't just buy it way, way late.

Has anyone else ended up in the same place? Like stop buying new stuff altogether and just focus on what you have, enjoy mostly retro stuff finding interesting new old games, etc. I don't really like buying DLC and I could see people get totally offput from new games based on that in the last 10 years.

I just post something similar, albeit not as detailed, in the genesis thread. I agree with everything you said. I picked up a WiiU at launch played everything up until September, but Splatoon was the breaking point for me. Sold that, picked up an Xboxone so I can play games like Killer Instinct, Gears of War Ultimate (which I never played a gears game), Dragon Age & Sunset Overdrive. Nothing coming out other than Cup Head is really peaking my interest. So now it's more of a Netflix/HBO box. The games were fun, but I all style no substance & I can't see going back to them on a regular basis like I do with older games. And I can give two shits about VR.

I prefer the pickup and play mechanic and don't really care for story which is why I have been getting into shmups lately. Plus it's just fits into my busier lifestyle nowadays.

I'm just glad the retro boards are active on here or else I would really be bored.

For current platforms I have a WiiU and PC (and the handhelds) and I'm mostly into the smaller releases & indies. Only AAA upcoming release I'm fiending for is SF5 on PC, and in reality it's a pretty old school style game. Probably gonna get Star Fox Zero as well.

Full Extent of the Jam was ECM (Diehard Gamefan, wave 2)'s intro guide that got me thinking about all the ways i play SHMUPs wrong...maybe it'll help!

More power to you. In any game that allows you to use bombs, time them at the last second possible (especially when they cancel bullets).

EDIT: I vote we start calling Shmups "STGs" for 2016.

"You cannot play DoDonPachi well if your hands are cold. Under 20
degrees celcius, your fingers are significantly less efficient without warm up, and
even if you're playing with a stick that matters for your buttons timing. So if you
feel your hands are a little cold, warm up before playing, for example by
immersing your hands in hot water for a few minutes."

Daaaamn.

Kinda funny since I used to put my thumbs in water whenever my friends/family and I reached a final boss back in the day. Pause, cool off thumbs, serious business time.

Same, though I hope to get to that soon.
I totally overlooked these some how. My b.

Thanks for the tips and well wishes lol. I'm actually doing okay survival-wise. It's a bummer how expensive many shmups are. I've been debating picking up a saturn but it seems like quite an investment for a system I've never really cared much about.
also i hate the way it looks. why can't it look like the dreamcast

^man how you gonna hate the saturn's aesthetic, it's so sexy!

I could play RPGs and not feel like a waste of life, but I have to put all of my other games on hold to do so.

They are just too big. I replayed Chrono Trigger recently and it took a full month to beat without me playing anything else.

It took literally 4 weeks to amass 30 or so hours of game time.

damn, that's some rough free time for such a well-paced game! i get it though, it can be discouraging. again any 80-100 hour JRPG falls way back in my backlog.

Hey RetroGAF,

oh yeah, was just talking about this in the genny thread (like seven said) - i either devote some time to a mainstay series of mine (Souls, Yakuza, EDF etc) or if it's in a genre i'm less interested in, it's heavily cosigned by friends/CGR/etc as something i'd dig - Wolfenstein is on deck, loved the crap out of Red Dead Redemption last gen, etc. ive grabbed several WU titles i'll play down the road (system's loaded with platformers, which i dig when im in the mood) but otherwise, this sort've slump is really helping my classic gaming!

I'm finding myself more and more drawn to retro stuff these past few months. I still like playing my PS4 and Vita but I've also really started to get back into retro in a big way. Plus most of the current gen releases I'm most interested in are indie titles that harken back to retro consoles in one way or another - stuff like Cup Boy, Mighty No 9 and Slain are probably three of my most wanted games. Only exception like Irish Ninja is the Yakuza series.

This month I've gotten back into SNK and KOF in a big way. Yesterday I treated myself to King of Fighters 95 on the AES (this years goal is to grab a KOF game every month on the AES to finish my collection). Hands down my favourite fighting series next to Street Fighter, maybe more so. Its also one of those rare yearly releases (like Yakuza or Megaman) that I always looked forward to. What characters were in/out, new moves, who's the boss, what is the soundtrack like etc.

I've also been interested to give pre Neogeo SNK games a try so I grabbed the PSP release of SNK Arcade Classics Volume 0. Looking forward to giving the games a try.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hey RetroGAF,

I feel the same way, a ton of games I can go in knowing exactly what to expect... so I'd rather stick with games of a different era. But yeah I do love Nintendo and the DQ games and am still excited for the new ones to come out. I'd recommend giving Resonance of Fate on your PS3 a try if you haven't, though. It feels completely unique to anything else out on the market and it won't spoon-feed you through it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hey RetroGAF,

I mean, I do find a lot of the prevailing genres and franchises these days to be horribly boring, but I still find quite a bit to be excited about... especially in 2016, as a JRPG fan. I do get where you're coming from, though. There's a certain focus to older games that's lacking these days, and while a lot of people try and prop up indies as the solution to it... they aren't.

Have you looked into series like Yakuza, or anything developed by Falcom?

Top Bottom