• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

lmao. I'm always impressed by how there's never a niche too small for there to be a niche within said niche that's that little bit more hardcore.

Famicom history is old hat. Gimme shady, possibly yakuza-controlled Japanese PC88 publishers in the 80s or bust. If the interviewee isn't saying "don't print this, I could die and you could too" multiple times throughout the interview, it's just not worth hearing about.

jk, can never learn enough interesting stuff about Nintendo.

Show photos, I've done my share of G&W tinkering. I've never seen a Spitball Sparky though.

Ok, I snapped a couple of pictures, hope these help?

The second picture shows it better, notice the blank column in the center which should have a column of graphics just like the other columns.

Also, cross posting from the PC Engine/TG16 thread in case anyone in this thread can help me with this odd issue:

Quick question for those that have Tenchi o Kurau. I understand the game is supposed to have added voices during gameplay but for some reason my copy does not seem to play said voice bites in game. I've accessed a sound test and they play ok from there so I don't think its a issue with the CD itself.
Also on the menu I found a few extra options - running it through a translator there seem to be two separate modes - Arcade mode and PC Engine mode. Any idea what the differences between each of those are. There is also a "voice" option for each of those modes but that doesn't actually seem to play any voices.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Danchi

Has anyone had a response from the people who run the Yamatoku-Classic eBay profile?

The combined shipping invoice that they've sent me is actually more than if I'd just paid for everything separately.

The expedited option is actually cheaper than the standard one so I'm hoping it's just a mistake.

televator

So every time i go to youtube to see a review or gameplay footage, I get recommended this terrible "MetalJesusRocks"-channel that I always hated but for some reason have an incredible viewership. I wonder why youtube feel the need to shove this old rocker down my throat all the time, could it have to do with him paying for advertisement? So annoying.

Every time I see you post I agree with you. I was subscribed to MetalJesus for over a year when his channel was small, then he did a series of views with a certain female guest and they kept making pre-teen lewd sexual jokes while counting down best video games and I had to check out.

I've been back to his channel a few times, but what always nope out of there when I see his NES composite video recordings.

I unsub'd his channel when like... everything was a "Hidden Gem." lol

Merkunt

Has anyone had a response from the people who run the Yamatoku-Classic eBay profile?

The combined shipping invoice that they've sent me is actually more than if I'd just paid for everything separately.

The expedited option is actually cheaper than the standard one so I'm hoping it's just a mistake.

I sent them a second combined shipping request and they lowered the price to 14$; still doesn't excuse the shill sniping.

I hate going to retail stores anymore. It's just a big tease of them having awesome things that are 20% more expensive than if I just bought it on eBay.

Heart of Darkness for ps1? Been looking for that! Oh, its $20 and has no manual? Why?

Virtua fighter kids, complete, $20.. Why? The Japan version is like $7 shipped from Japan..

StevieWhite

Guys, I wrote a post about my recent experience with a repro cart. In short, it was crappy and I'll never do it again.

The more I think about it, the more I think the whole repro thing is kind of scummy - charging a ridiculous amount of money for just slapping someone else's work on a cart. Maybe there's good ones out there, I dunno, but I'll never purchase one again.

I the post, I didn't even get into how the label basically peeled off the second I took it home.

Guys, I wrote a post about my recent experience with a repro cart. In short, it was crappy and I'll never do it again.

The more I think about it, the more I think the whole repro thing is kind of scummy - charging a ridiculous amount of money for just slapping someone else's work on a cart. Maybe there's good ones out there, I dunno, but I'll never purchase one again.

I the post, I didn't even get into how the label basically peeled off the second I took it home.

You got a bad repro for sure. It's mind boggling how lazy they were, putting the wrong version on there. It is the kind of thing where you want to find someone more reputable and not just buy from wherever.

They're undeniably sketchy, but at the same time, I'm glad someone will be there to supply a Bio Force Ape cart for those who want to play it on a NES.

Khaz

You've got a scummy dealer. Spitting on everything repro based on this single experience is bullshit though.

$30 isn't a ridiculous amount of money. Making a reproduction cartridge isn't terribly difficult, but it's more difficult than what you can do since you had to buy it instead of doing it yourself. Making a thing needs knowledge and technical experience, that you are also paying in addition to the raw materials. You've got every right to be upset and warn us about this specific seller (who was it?), but don't slander every carpenter because you got a broken chair.

And you are talking about the grey area of them not retributing the work of others, which is quite ironic considering that if you had paid the translators, they would have in turn profited from the work of others, namely the original creators of the videogame.

You say not paying the translators is shady. I say not paying the original videogame author is shady. Yet you don't seem to care about them for some reason. They would deserve your money just as much as the translators.

Here's another grey area: translating a work is infringing on the author's rights. Whether you like it or not, the author decided not to have their work translated into English and to keep its distribution confidential in their original country. Modifying someone else's work without their consent is illegal. That includes making a translation.

StevieWhite

You've got a scummy dealer. Spitting on everything repro based on this single experience is bullshit though.

$30 isn't a ridiculous amount of money. Making a reproduction cartridge isn't terribly difficult, but it's more difficult than what you can do since you had to buy it instead of doing it yourself. Making a thing needs knowledge and technical experience, that you are also paying in addition to the raw materials. You've got every right to be upset and warn us about this specific seller (who was it?), but don't slander every carpenter because you got a broken chair.

And you are talking about the grey area of them not retributing the work of others, which is quite ironic considering that if you had paid the translators, they would have in turn profited from the work of others, namely the original creators of the videogame.

You say not paying the translators is shady. I say not paying the original videogame author is shady. Yet you don't seem to care about them for some reason. They would deserve your money just as much as the translators.

Here's another grey area: translating a work is infringing on the author's rights. Whether you like it or not, the author decided not to have their work translated into English and to keep its distribution confidential in their original country. Modifying someone else's work without their consent is illegal. That includes making a translation.

Fair enough points I suppose, and I acknowledge (both here and in the post) that there may very well be good repros out there - Personally, though, I'm done with them. I'm not out to undermine the process as an entirety, but the intent was to be more of a cautionary tale.

Also, that's a good point about not paying the translators, probably would have been better to leave that out of there. Demiforce never asked for money (to my knowledge).. profiting off of someone else's labor of love seems to be an extra layer of scummy to me, but I guess that's splitting hairs when everything you are talking about is basically illegal

And the seller was Stoneage Gamer, actually, which surprised me, because I have had positive experiences with them before.

They're out of stock right now but if you buy these with a programmer + some shells + some labels professionally printed you can pretty easily DIY your own repros. Very little technical experience required (no soldering!)

Or you know just use an Everdrive, whateverrrr.

Khaz

Fair enough points I suppose, and I acknowledge (both here and in the post) that there may very well be good repros out there - Personally, though, I'm done with them. I'm not out to undermine the process as an entirety, but the intent was to be more of a cautionary tale.

Further, if you happen to be purchasing an unofficial translation, give some thought to the fact that you’re essentially allowing an opportunistic retailer to profit from someone else’s hard work.

That's not a cautionary tale. That's slander.

Khaz

You're saying that someone who took the time and effort to make something is a vile profiteer, all the while not acknowledging that the work he's profiting from was also completely illegal.

They are not profiting from other's work. There are plenty of ways to use your illegal translation completely for free, be it through emulation, a flash cartridge like the Everdrive, or making the reproduction yourself. You have decided to pay someone else for making the reproduction work, you are paying for the skills of that person only! Plus some additional material costs. You're adding to the $0 you paid for the translation an additional $30 for the craft.

StevieWhite

You're saying that someone who took the time and effort to make something is a vile profiteer, all the while not acknowledging that the work he's profiting from was also completely illegal.

They are not profiting from other's work. There are plenty of ways to use your illegal translation completely for free, be it through emulation, a flash cartridge like the Everdrive, or making the reproduction yourself. You have decided to pay someone else for making the reproduction work, you are paying for the skills of that person only! Plus some additional material costs. You're adding to the $0 you paid for the translation an additional $30 for the craft.

I never said the words "vile profiteer," here, but if that's how you feel it came across, I'll have to give some thought to it. As previously acknowledged, yeah, indicating that I would have rather paid $30 to the translators probably didn't do the argument any favors... but at the end of the day, I'd of rather had my money go to the translators... even though they never asked for it to begin with.

And again, yeah, it's all hair splitting when you're dealing with things that are technically illegal, but that's how I feel about it.

Khaz

And again, yeah, it's all hair splitting when you're dealing with things that are technically illegal, but that's how I feel about it.

I'm just trying to tell you that how you feel is incorrect. Regardless of the legality of it all, to which I frankly couldn't give a damn (Don't ask me where everything on my Everdrive come from), the opportunistic/profiting angle I read so many times is just frankly annoying. You are paying for a craft, for an object that you could do yourself if you had the skills, but decided to have someone else do because you couldn't care less. You're not paying them for the translation, or for the game itself: you're paying to have some data put on a chip, and the chip in a fancy box with fancy stickers.

Would you feel better if they sent you a decorated but empty cartridge, that you would plug on your computer to fill once with the translated game?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not much of a box/case collector and this is most likely obvious, but people who put stickers on the paper insert instead of the outside of the case are pure evil. You can guess what happens if you even try to take it off. At least the cart itself was in good condition which is what I mainly care about. Granted I see less of that happening and more perma marker bullshit instead. This one used game store completely ruins every case by doing that to all the disc based games. It's like you don't want collectors to buy any your games.

I'm not much of a box/case collector and this is most likely obvious, but people who put stickers on the paper insert instead of the outside of the case are pure evil. You can guess what happens if you even try to take it off. At least the cart itself was in good condition which is what I mainly care about. Granted I see less of that happening and more perma marker bullshit instead. This one used game store completely ruins every case by doing that to all the disc based games. It's like you don't want collectors to buy any your games.
I hate when GameStop was putting several price stickers on the cover art under the protective plastic packaging of GameCube games. I don't mind stickers on carts or marker. I can get those off, but layers of stickers on paper? FU!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Posted it in the NES/Famicom appreciation thread but I figure I'll post it here as well.

The Famicom has arrived:

rYoEP1zl.jpg

AleC3wjl.jpg

iujpQqvl.jpg

8ctOMxAl.jpg

LeO5Ltcl.jpg

8efcWsAl.jpg

BqToyopl.jpg

KQwqe6Dl.jpg

They're out of stock right now but if you buy these with a programmer + some shells + some labels professionally printed you can pretty easily DIY your own repros. Very little technical experience required (no soldering!)

Or you know just use an Everdrive, whateverrrr.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't just use an everdrive for everything though.

I am not super attached to owning the carts though. I only own a handful of snes games that use chips inside. Super Mario kart, yoshis island, Mario rpg, starfox. And a few from my own childhood.

Even buying a wii and homebrewing it and playing over component on crt isn't that bad of an experience for nes/snes/genesis/tg16 for around $50.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I had my first hands-on experience with Famicom carts yesterday when my Famicom arrived and I'm in love with how tiny and colorful they are--it makes me want to own a bunch.

I'll get a Everdrive eventually, but as for now I want to have as many of these as I can possibly afford. :p

Peagles

Well, I'm nearly done moving and pretty excited about the new retro corner that will be in our study! There's still a lot of stuff to sort out (not unpack, because we never really packed, because we moved down the hall into another apartment in the same building lol) but it's all slowly taking shape. It'll still be pretty small compared to my dream retro setup but it'll have to do for the next few years, at least until the housing market cools a bit.

Teknoman

Also, that's a good point about not paying the translators, probably would have been better to leave that out of there. Demiforce never asked for money (to my knowledge).. profiting off of someone else's labor of love seems to be an extra layer of scummy to me, but I guess that's splitting hairs when everything you are talking about is basically illegal

And the seller was Stoneage Gamer, actually, which surprised me, because I have had positive experiences with them before.

Stone age gamer sells repros? I thought they were just carriers of accessories? That being said, personally the only good repros are those that are extremely hard to find games with fan translations or just hard to find games that dont have a release in your language. Other than that, I just go with super fami / fami cart, and get the translated rom burned/patched to it or whatever.

The only thing i've got other than Gimmick and Hebreke as a repro is Treasures of the Rudra, but thats because there was a woman doing cheap but high quality repros in exchange for a donor cart on Nintendoage. She's stopped now unfortunately, but only because demand was too high / digging into her own personal time.

Well that and Sweet Home for cheap as well.

EDIT: Its criminal how good the SMB1 famicom art is compared to what other regions got.

D.Lo

Ok, I snapped a couple of pictures, hope these help?

The second picture shows it better, notice the blank column in the center which should have a column of graphics just like the other columns.)
Yeah looks like possible LCD damage unfortunately.

You could try alcohol cleaning all the LCD connections, both the side of the screen and the rubber connection pieces and board that those connect to.

D.Lo

EDIT: Its criminal how good the SMB1 famicom art is compared to what other regions got.
Apparently it was actually because a lot of people felt burned by Atari/Colecovision games which had incredible box art and then crappy graphics inside. Apparently retailers got many returns for that reason.

Nintendo put the actual graphics on the box as if to say 'no false advertising here!'.

Sega's basic designs I assume were a similar tactic to avoid returns for false advertising.

StevieWhite

Apparently it was actually because a lot of people felt burned by Atari/Colecovision games which had incredible box art and then crappy graphics inside. Apparently retailers got many returns for that reason.

Nintendo put the actual graphics on the box as if to say 'no false advertising here!'.

Sega's basic designs I assume were a similar tactic to avoid returns for false advertising.

I'd believe that. That Atari box art was always amazing. I could very much see how it left people feeling short changed.

StevieWhite

Stone age gamer sells repros?

It might have been just a convention thing...
Maybe someone from the staff offloading personal stock? Dunno... but have had nothing but positive experiences otherwise had great experiences with them. That's why I stopped short of mentioning them in the post. Not to mention the fact that part of the fault is on me for walking in more or less blind.

Maybe someone from the staff offloading personal stock? Dunno... but have had nothing but positive experiences otherwise had great experiences with them. That's why I stopped short of mentioning them in the post. Not to mention the fact that part of the fault is on me for walking in more or less blind.

Yeah, it was probably just a flub on their part but that would be a very frustrating experience for sure.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't just use an everdrive for everything though.

I am not super attached to owning the carts though. I only own a handful of snes games that use chips inside. Super Mario kart, yoshis island, Mario rpg, starfox. And a few from my own childhood.

Even buying a wii and homebrewing it and playing over component on crt isn't that bad of an experience for nes/snes/genesis/tg16 for around $50.

true. with a repro cart, you're already a 1/3rd of the way there for an everdrive.

I want a Gimmick cart with the chip one day. RIP Batman Return Of The Joker carts (or whichever it is that they have to use)

edit: speaking of Batman ROTJ, check out the japanese cover: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/d5QAAOxyjP1R1X1a/s-l1600.jpg

lol

Khaz

I don't know, I have an everdrive but I still like the idea of taking a game from my shelf, put it into the console and just play it. With an Everdrive the experience feels too much like an emulator and its thousands games listing. The process of using a physical cartridge forces me to focus a lot more on the actual game too. Using reproduction cartridges allows me to have this experience for games that I couldn't get in physical form otherwise.

Yeah looks like possible LCD damage unfortunately.

You could try alcohol cleaning all the LCD connections, both the side of the screen and the rubber connection pieces and board that those connect to.

Huge thanks for this advise. I'm now getting a visible picture on the entire screen. Not sure if it's entirely fixed, but I'm moving in the right direction :)
Thanks again for the help, I'm over the moon this is finally working correctly.

entremet

I know most people are physical media fans here, but I'm reaching a conundrum of sorts.

I never sell or trade my games, but modern gaming, with day 1 patches, the rise of DD, lack of decent physical manuals, mandatory full installs, and the rise of Steam, makes me want to go full digital going forward.

I'll stay physical for retro stuff. That's part the appeal!

But I'm not really nostalgic about discs. Plus I'm an apartment dweller so competing retro and modern collections seems a bit much.

Moreover, I'm noticing how my playing style has changed. I play multiple games at once and switching discs can be a pain. This is very evident with the Wii U, where I'm juggling Mario Maker, Smash 4, and other games.

Anyone with similar thoughts?

D.Lo

Huge thanks for this advise. I'm now getting a visible picture on the entire screen. Not sure if it's entirely fixed, but I'm moving in the right direction :)
Thanks again for the help, I'm over the moon this is finally working correctly.
Ha that's great!

Moreover, I'm noticing how my playing style has changed. I play multiple games at once and switching discs can be a pain. This is very evident with the Wii U, where I'm juggling Mario Maker, Smash 4, and other games.

Yeah I only got a Wii U a few months ago, but I wish I got Splatoon digitally, so I could play an 'adventure' game (currently Wind Waker) and still jump back into Splatoon at any time.

It's weird, I am nostalgic about discs for PS1, Saturn, PC Engine Dreamcast, and Gamecube, because they seem unique. All except Gamecube the packaging and discs are unqiue - CD based, but consistent mostly classy packaging, and in many cases (like Japanese Saturn and PAL Gamecube) a consistent classy print style on the disc labels.

But I give no craps about PS2, Xbox, Wii, PS3 etc. Generic disc in generic DVD/Blu Ray case = boring commodity. All those consoles I run hard drives on and am happy to leave the discs in the attic.

I know most people are physical media fans here, but I'm reaching a conundrum of sorts.

I never sell or trade my games, but modern gaming, with day 1 patches, the rise of DD, lack of decent physical manuals, mandatory full installs, and the rise of Steam, makes me want to go full digital going forward.

I'll stay physical for retro stuff. That's part the appeal!

But I'm not really nostalgic about discs. Plus I'm an apartment dweller so competing retro and modern collections seems a bit much.

I'm 100% digital on Vita, 99% on Wii U, about 60% on 3DS & PS3 (we like to share some 3DS games and there are too many disc only PS3 games). In terms of long-term preservation there's some nice stuff about digital in that you can back things up much more easily -- even PS3 you can do a full disk backup or even replace hard drive with SSD for long term use, and you can do it all without needing to mod your console. Discs in comparison will rot eventually; my digital backups will for sure outlast my discs.

It is really nice to have an all digital setup on a console too. Starting up Wii U and just choosing your game beats putting the disc in for sure, plus faster load times, and with Vita/3DS I like that I can change games when I'm out without needing to remember/lose cartridges. For PS3 I really like all the sales; especially since I dislike used games for newer systems it ends up being really hard to beat PSN sales. Used games for PS3/360/PS2 even tend to be super disgusting, especially anything that's been through an EB/GameStop purchase/repurchase/repurchase again with extra extra stickers. JP used stuff is generally in much better condition though.

For Steam stuff I have a huge library of Steam games which I don't really play that much for a few reasons. But I have a plan to, at some point, "consolize" a Steam PC. It's weird that I say it that way but I really just want to have a box that's small like a console, sits under my TV, and most importantly allows me to play everything offline. I'll set up games that don't allow this with exe patches, have it all on a large capacity SSD that's full-disk backed up, make sure everything's up to date with patches and installs, and once everything's on there just leave it as a preserved set of games. I guess it's weird that my vision of a "console" is something that's offline only and lasts forever but yeah it basically is just that.

Ha that's great!

Yeah :) Its not perfect, I've been toying with it further this afternoon and that part of the screen is still more faded than the rest of the screen, and I still need to tilt the handheld slightly to get the best picture. However doing that I can now play the game perfectly fine, with the only graphic that is harder to see is the ball when it moves at a really fast pace (essentially becoming invisible, but its easy to know exactly where the ball will rebound to thanks to the simple "physics" of the game.

I'll give it a quick try over the next week to see if it fades out completely again, as I'm not 100% convinved the issue is fixed, but after studying the insides of the handheld it looks dead simple to buy a cheap bashed up Spitball Sparky with a fully working screen, then swap that out into my pristine shell of my current handheld making a mint handheld with a perfect screen. However for the moment its all working good enough which makes me very pleased.

Not the best G&W handheld mind you, its an incredibly simple breakout clone but it still holds the addictive charm of G&W handhelds.

Peltz

So every time i go to youtube to see a review or gameplay footage, I get recommended this terrible "MetalJesusRocks"-channel that I always hated but for some reason have an incredible viewership. I wonder why youtube feel the need to shove this old rocker down my throat all the time, could it have to do with him paying for advertisement? So annoying.

To his credit, Metal jesus is good natured... but yea, I can't watch him either. I don't see the appeal of his videos.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
But bro there's a Sega Genesis Collection on PSP for like $2 on sale with perfect emulation, or even just emulate on your phone for free with enhanced widescreen HD 2xSaI scaling, and how dare they even make this for 3DS it should be on Steam, and where's my Shenmue HD Collection exclusively for PS4????

It doesn't matter where you go -- most people are going to be dumb. While it seemed like a cool idea at the time, that Sega Genesis Collection from 2006 is the reason we can't have nice things today.

I'm just of the mind that lots of retro video game content is better accomplished in writing. I'm happy to watch gameplay videos, but not when it's constantly flashing towards some dude's overenthused facade, or laced with forced intensity.

That said, I'm not huge on video as a medium, frequently. I like raw audio and reading articles more in 99% of instances.
some already are right? the limited DL games on physical

Yeah, I was half joking. Vita games will almost certainly demand a premium in the future. Especially with the plethora of limited (region or retailer) releases.

Teknoman

That does make sense. I guess a similar situation would be the somewhat recent trend of using CG for game advertisements/ as alleged game footage.

I'd think offloading personal stuff, but on the other hand, sellers still should be 100% honest with whatever they are putting towards customers, no fault on you. More so since being at a con, the seller should be educated about thing like that.

I don't know, I have an everdrive but I still like the idea of taking a game from my shelf, put it into the console and just play it. With an Everdrive the experience feels too much like an emulator and its thousands games listing. The process of using a physical cartridge forces me to focus a lot more on the actual game too. Using reproduction cartridges allows me to have this experience for games that I couldn't get in physical form otherwise.

Likewise. It's sort of like those all in one collections. Unless it's a single series, id end up just jumping from game to game. That and I still like physical media or at least if I have a choice.

as a huge everdrive fan - agreed, its why i have the repros that i do; putting in carts is part of the experience, if only for the ones i wanna keep/can afford

It doesn't matter where you go -- most people are going to be dumb. While it seemed like a cool idea at the time, that Sega Genesis Collection from 2006 is the reason we can't have nice things today.

god don't get me started

funny how high compilations are on my list this year - waiting on Mega Man Legacy (PS4) next month, gonna grab that with RE Origins. might use a gamestop coupon for Midway Arcade Origins & that Namco Museum one from last gen, then i'm clear till this Sega 3D collection in April!

i'll put this here:

on the PS2 thread someone was asking about scratched surfaces and i posted some results of a clear canopy w/ deep scratches i did recently:

just for fun, i took a CD and just did 1/3 just to show it also works on CD's,

before: it's had to see in the pic but the whole CD is scratched all around

process: i decided to buff out the location by the serial bar code you see towards the center core of the CD

results: take a look at 1/3 of the CD toward the left side: rightside i left alone to contrast:

multiple pics in different positions to capture the light

i didn't do a thorough job, so there's a few scratches on the 1/3 side but much cleaner than before. anyways, i thought to share in case any of you have some games that may have been thought as a lost cause =)

Top Bottom