• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

entremet

Jeremy Parish's Gameboy World & Good Nintentions series are RGB. :)

Yep. That too :)

What i love about Jeremy is that he's going through insane lengths to get this material out there--buying an Analogue NT, getting a real Famicom Disk System, using a PVM, getting CIB games.

He mentions its a passion project to get archive quality footage. Plus he's eschewing emulation completely.

That's dedication!

What i love about Jeremy is that he's going through insane length to get this material out there.

He mentions its a passion project to get archive quality footage. Plus he's eschewing emulation completely.

That's dedication!

Yeah he puts a ton of work into those videos. I really wish he'd get away from the Super Gameboy 2 though, that aspect ratio is all wrong.

But I thought the SG2 was the most accurate way to play GB games on TV/Monitor?

That and GBI ultra-low latency are the most accurate in terms of it being real hardware without speed issues or frame duplication/stuttering, but GBI has correct aspect ratio.

The stretched out pixels really bug me, I even go so far as to aspect-correct using Framemeister zoom functions when I play GB games in my Super Gameboy (sometimes it's nice to get the extra features). i don't think the de-scaling horizontally is perfect, though.

Anyone have an opinion on the best version of Densha de GO!? I was thinking to pick it up along with the rad controller.

The crummy graphics of the PS1 version are pretty charming to me, but the track list seems limited. Is the PS2 "Final" supposed to be the best?

Peltz

Yeah he puts a ton of work into those videos. I really wish he'd get away from the Super Gameboy 2 though, that aspect ratio is all wrong.
Hm... Is that true for SGB1 as well?

Can someone post a comparison of the aspect ratios for SG2 vs GBP?

I never knew the aspect ratio was off

Hm... Is that true for SGB1 as well?

Can someone post a comparison of the aspect ratios for SG2 vs GBP?

I never knew the aspect ratio was off

Yeah its the same for SGB1 but with the added problem of running slowed down (you can fix that by adding a crystal with some soldering skillz).

The difference is something like this:
cKgz6nI.jpg

Lettuce

Almost all Youtubers use composite for retro. The others just use emulation.

RGB and Framemeister is really inside baseball stuff. Only the MLIG guys and Phonedork do RGB.

I like MJR. I think with YT you just need dial down your expectations. These are amateurs and it shows. But I'm a huge YT fiend in general.

The MLiG guys are also pro video producers and spend hours on their videos.

It's just the YT algorithm. You must watch a lot of games videos.

Turn off Autoplay.

I capture my retro games via RGB...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_epwtOx4W4

Peltz

Yeah its the same for SGB1 but with the added problem of running slowed down (you can fix that by adding a crystal with some soldering skillz).

The difference is something like this:

Got it. I actually have seen this before. I guess I never really considered it "stretched", just different. I don't really mind it much.

So SGB2 is better for speed and link cable right? Any other differences?

Timu

Almost all Youtubers use composite for retro. The others just use emulation.

RGB and Framemeister is really inside baseball stuff. Only the MLIG guys and Phonedork do RGB.

I like MJR. I think with YT you just need dial down your expectations. These are amateurs and it shows. But I'm a huge YT fiend in general.

The MLiG guys are also pro video producers and spend hours on their videos.
I use svideo, RGB, VGA and component for retro games for my playthroughs. I don't even use composite since it looks bad!

Got it. I actually have seen this before. I guess I never really considered it "stretched", just different. I don't really mind it much.

For me it's like seeing 4:3 video stretched to 16:9. Like, dear god it's so wrong.

So SGB2 is better for speed and link cable right? Any other differences?

Some of the included borders are cooler (different than the original), plus it comes in a transparent blue shell.

entremet

I use svideo, RGB, VGA and component for retro games for my playthroughs. I don't even use composite since it looks bad!

Ha.

I think we're all a little obsessed here, though.

I don't think searching for CRTs on CL or eBay is normal behavior lol.

Just look at the 3D Classic physical release thread. People are mostly indifferent to this stuff, which is kinda good--more PVMs for us!

They'll take their shitty Backbone ports without lock on tech.

StevieWhite

My humble site uses RGB through a framemeister as well. I didn't even feel comfortable posting pics/video at all until I could produce footage that didn't look like garbage to me.

I still don't like how a lot of my stuff looks, but it's better than composite.

A GameCube with GameBoy Interface will do that really nicely over RGB or component at 240p.

yeah but that takes so much stuff. NTSC cube requires Component cables which are expensive as fuck. So I'd get a PAL cube. But I'd have to import it. And I'd need a way to load GBI which means a datel loader or a hardware mod. And then I'd basically be limited to only using the gamecube for GB.

Lettuce

Do you scan double with the Startech PCI-E capture card? That's what I have to do for mine when it comes to direct RGB, or use the GBS 8200.

Im trying to remember (it was a while back) but im sure i captured at 240p and then used avisynth to resize.

I no longer have that card, i now have a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI which can apparently capture form 144p - 1080p

yeah but that takes so much stuff. NTSC cube requires Component cables which are expensive as fuck. So I'd get a PAL cube. But I'd have to import it. And I'd need a way to load GBI which means a datel loader or a hardware mod. And then I'd basically be limited to only using the gamecube for GB.

Don't forget the dumb controller options for GBPlayer. If you get far enough you'll start customizing your own AVR microcontroller code to get the button layout you want with a custom made SNES to GC adapter cable. ;)

If you're willing to compromise slightly though s-video on the NTSC GC looks pretty good.

Getting the SD Media Launcher isn't hard either, just order it before they stop selling them directly.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm looking to buy a PVM soonish but I won't be using anything above what the console outputs natively. I don't have the soldering skills to mod anything for RGB and I don't really have the cash flow to pay someone else to do it either.

Composite isn't so bad if it's your only choice. Most developers in the 80s and 90s were making their games with composite in mind anyway, and to play them in crystal-clear RGB kind of dulls their vision of what they were trying to attempt.

Peltz

It's worth it.

Like when I see GBA and GBC games rendered in perfect 240p with no lag or frame stutter, it feels like a pipe dream come true for one of my absolute favorite systems (the GBA). It's the last major 2D library from Nintendo. To me, it's sort of the perfect bookend swan song of an entire era.

All of the extra hardware is worth it imo.

Don't forget the dumb controller options for GBPlayer. If you get far enough you'll start customizing your own AVR microcontroller code to get the button layout you want with a custom made SNES to GC adapter cable. ;)

If you're willing to compromise slightly though s-video on the NTSC GC looks pretty good.

Getting the SD Media Launcher isn't hard either, just order it before they stop selling them directly.
Dunno how i'd get one for PAL shipped to the US given their odd way of selling. (it's still sending NTSC units to NA addresses, right?)
It's worth it.

Like when I see GBA and GBC games rendered in perfect 240p with no lag or frame stutter, it feels like a pipe dream come true for one of my absolute favorite systems (the GBA). It's the last major 2D library from Nintendo. To me, it's sort of the perfect bookend swan song of an entire era.

All of the extra hardware is worth it imo.
I just don't see it as being worth it for anything but streaming. I'd rather play my GB/C games on my GBC.

Peltz

Dunno how i'd get one for PAL shipped to the US given their odd way of selling. (it's still sending NTSC units to NA addresses, right?)

I just don't see it as being worth it for anything but streaming. I'd rather play my GB/C games on my GBC.

Hey man. Different strokes and all.

Hey man. Different strokes and all.

yup. Honestly if there was just a package I could buy with everything included I'd drop 100$ without much thought. It's really just how much of a pain it is getting everything together that legitimizes my procrastinating.

Timu

Im trying to remember (it was a while back) but im sure i captured at 240p and then used avisynth to resize.

I no longer have that card, i now have a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI which can apparently capture form 144p - 1080p
That sounds freaking amazing!!!

Merkunt

What the hell is going on with yamatoku-classic;
They've gone and shill sniped almost all of their listings in the past 48hours and listed them with double the shipping price, now they want me to triple my shipping payment for 3 PS1 games which were with the "original" shipping price;

1week ago:

Now:

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
SGB2 is probably the most economic way to go. I wonder if you could fix the aspect ratio in post

I could fix Game Boy World's footage very easily in my editing software, but the more post-processing adjustments I make the more I'm changing and degrading the image. That's the purist rationale, anyway.

Though, that's not actually the reason I don't tweak the ratio in post. The difference between SGB's aspect ratio and the actual GB's aspect ratio is about 12%, which kinda sucks, but I ultimately decided to take the image as the Super NES outputs it. There's a compromise either way you go, and I chose to go with this one due to a personal bias: Super Game Boy is how I experienced GB games back in the day, so to me it's what looks "correct." Selfish, I know, but they told me in literature class that every hero needs a tragic flaw....

I'm working to get the raw capture footage up on archive.org, so hopefully soon there'll be a huge pile of material that people can use for their own projects and adjust however they see fit.

What the hell is going on with yamatoku-classic;
They've gone and shill sniped almost all of their listings in the past 48hours and listed them with double the shipping price, now they want me to triple my shipping payment for 3 PS1 games which were with the "original" shipping price;

1week ago:

Now:
Report them.

Teknoman

Thats strange for their auctions, unless its someone new running things? Never had any issues with em as far as price or shipping...that aside their buy it nows are usually cheap too.

What i love about Jeremy is that he's going through insane lengths to get this material out there--buying an Analogue NT, getting a real Famicom Disk System, using a PVM, getting CIB games.

That's dedication!

whoah, didn't even know Parish was doing a sereis - link?

FMV games with overly tight inputs are unplayable on my framemeister

*throws framemeister in the garbage*

...fair
for real though, Um Jammer Lammy is off but i think most of that's my TV, only thing that's legit unplaypable on my setup is RE2 N64

Report them.

yeah, that's really shit right there...sad to see one of the better sellers go out like this
wonder if hit-japan is doing any better?

...fair
for real though, Um Jammer Lammy is off but i think most of that's my TV, only thing that's legit unplaypable on my setup is RE2 N64

I should get a copy of UJL and try it out. Incredible crisis worked well. Time Gal has inputs you can miss on the upswing of mashing because theyre basically frame perfect (hence 1.5 frames ruining it i guess.) Ninja Hayate is lenient. Bust A Groove seemed fine.

What's up with RE2? Resolution switching? SOTN is supposedly the same way but i stick with 360 for that. I kinda wish they'd come out with a v2 model with faster res switching.

What's up with RE2? Resolution switching? SOTN is supposedly the same way but i stick with 360 for that. I kinda wish they'd come out with a v2 model with faster res switching.

yeah, as you said, Hayate is lenient. and quite right, it's the contant res changes that just break the game...had no idea it did that so often!
Saturn SOTN isn't nearly as bad - mind you, it sucks waiting a few seconds to load the menu and its horrrrible that the map is buried in there, but with patience, it's fine cause it doesnt interrupt gameplay...this though, it just falls apart

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
There's a youtube channel blocker extension for Chrome that's good for getting rid of his channel, AlphaOmegaBarf, and all the other garbage game related channels.

But bro there's a Sega Genesis Collection on PSP for like $2 on sale with perfect emulation, or even just emulate on your phone for free with enhanced widescreen HD 2xSaI scaling, and how dare they even make this for 3DS it should be on Steam, and where's my Shenmue HD Collection exclusively for PS4????

Thanks for the tip! Haha yeah, why pay for anything when I can emulate it for free????

Damn I miss all the good threads

This thread was not fun, just embarrassing imo. At least the retro-gaf community was fighting the good fight against the guys who havent even heard about Power Drift - and this wasnt interested in it. Holy shit.

It's just the YT algorithm. You must watch a lot of games videos.

Turn off Autoplay.

Im not sure if I really watch a lot, but it is the only thing i use youtube for, so it makes sense. Love MLIG and Jeremy btw, they know whats up.

It's worth it.

Like when I see GBA and GBC games rendered in perfect 240p with no lag or frame stutter, it feels like a pipe dream come true for one of my absolute favorite systems (the GBA). It's the last major 2D library from Nintendo. To me, it's sort of the perfect bookend swan song of an entire era..

But wont the Game Boy-games output just as fine with Gamecube RGB(european gamecube) as component?

So is there any techies in this thread that are skilled with the ins and outs of Game and Watch handheld screen issues? I've spent the last couple of hours playing around investigating why Spitball Sparky G&W handheld isn't displaying the graphics correctly and I've replaced a few bits on the handheld and managed to narrow the problem down to one part of the screen. However I'm completely stumped as to why I'm still having problems... I replaced the polariser (the plastic film that goes over the LCD screen) and that usually fixes these sorts of issues right up. Indeed it fixed all the other picture issues with the handheld I had, but one part of the screen remains incredibly faded (to the point that you have to tilt the handheld at a certain angle to see the graphics on that part of the screen).

At this stage I'm wondering if its a problem with the LCD screen itself, I can't think what else it could be.

If anyone is well versed in this sort of thing please let me know :)

D.Lo

So is there any techies in this thread that are skilled with the ins and outs of Game and Watch handheld screen issues? I've spent the last couple of hours playing around investigating why Spitball Sparky G&W handheld isn't displaying the graphics correctly and I've replaced a few bits on the handheld and managed to narrow the problem down to one part of the screen. However I'm completely stumped as to why I'm still having problems... I replaced the polariser (the plastic film that goes over the LCD screen) and that usually fixes these sorts of issues right up. Indeed it fixed all the other picture issues with the handheld I had, but one part of the screen remains incredibly faded (to the point that you have to tilt the handheld at a certain angle to see the graphics on that part of the screen).

At this stage I'm wondering if its a problem with the LCD screen itself, I can't think what else it could be.

If anyone is well versed in this sort of thing please let me know :)
Show photos, I've done my share of G&W tinkering. I've never seen a Spitball Sparky though.

Top Bottom