• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roald Dahl Books Rewritten to Remove Language Deemed Offensive

Should this have been done?

• No. The loonatics still have control of the asylum.

Votes: 169 79.3%
  • Yes. I love my blue hair and will be having vegan pasta for dinner.

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo

Votes: 38 17.8%

• Total voters

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I've got the suspicion that many of the who willingly accept rewritten books to make them "suitable for modern audiences" would be all in a rage when reading about China censoring western films with gay characters.

It's simple... just don't buy or watch anything that is Roald Dahl related...

These things only happen for monetary reasons.

Just don't hate read them the same way people hate watched Velma.
Crowley's Book of the Law was recently rewritten fill>kill and many thought it was monetary related.

For books as a kid it happened so much that it seemed a normal thing to change books/stories by the person/maker telling/selling it. Cautionary stories, cartoons and such made it clear to watch out for people removing books altogether. Those were taught to be the dangerous ones. Besides that, it was soothing to think, even then, with all the new editions of encyclopedias coming out that changes happen all the time, not just with storyteller, and new things are needed to be learned and stuff updated.

Times change. Shakespeare is rarely in the original unless sought. Understandable that purists would be troubled in their context.

I received my fresh box set of Dahl books today and skimmed The Witches to make sure it was the correct text. Totally drawn in while sitting on my hallway floor with one shoe on, scissors from opening the parcel dangling from one finger. The arrogance of somebody thinking they have the right to change any of this is stunning.

I can't wait until they censor and edit 1984 without even a hint of self-awareness why that would be funny.
Don't give them ideas!

I remember Winston Smith slept with a prostitute at one point. Better change that to 'sex worker' in future editions so as to be less judgemental. Also, what's all this about 'Big Brother'? Why can't we use more inclusive terms and call them 'Big Sibling'? Ministry of truth?? Make that 'Ministry of My Truth'.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Don't give them ideas!

I remember Winston Smith slept with a prostitute at one point. Better change that to 'sex worker' in future editions so as to be more inclusive. Also, what's all this about 'Big Brother'? Why can't we use more inclusive terms and call them 'Big Sibling'? Ministry of truth?? Make that 'Ministry of My Truth'.

The scary thing is not that this is happening, it's that the people making it happen lack the self awareness to even understand what they are doing. Mere pawns having their outrage harnessed. So we cannot even see our real enemy, just a bunch of confused, manipulated kids. We'll have all our rights taken away on some moral hill someone felt offended about.

I keep thinking of that "to thunderous applause" Padme moment lately, for the wrong reasons.

Tams

Crowley's Book of the Law was recently rewritten fill>kill and many thought it was monetary related.

For books as a kid it happened so much that it seemed a normal thing to change books/stories by the person/maker telling/selling it. Cautionary stories, cartoons and such made it clear to watch out for people removing books altogether. Those were taught to be the dangerous ones. Besides that, it was soothing to think, even then, with all the new editions of encyclopedias coming out that changes happen all the time, not just with storyteller, and new things are needed to be learned and stuff updated.

Times change. Shakespeare is rarely in the original unless sought. Understandable that purists would be troubled in their context.

Bruh, did you even read the linked article?

StueyDuck

Or... we can get our heads out our asses and off of resetera and just ignore idiots changing texts to get outrage marketing to sell a few extra books

I did. It doesn't seem that big of deal to me. It's their property and they can do what they like with it for their market, which I take as broad based learning and development entertainment.

It is art. And the artist is dead now and a small group of maniacs have been given the right to change it to suit their own views and tastes.

It's clear that your language choices are an attempt to reclassify expression into 'product'. Do you work for a children's publisher, by any chance?

KyoZz

Please aliens, if you exist: NUKE US.

nuclear explosion GIF

It is art. And the artist is dead now and a small group of maniacs have been given the right to change it to suit their own views and tastes.

It's clear that your language choices are an attempt to reclassify expression into 'product'. Do you work for a children's publisher, by any chance?
I don't work for a publisher. I do look at it as a capitalist though. So it may come down to that fundamentally, and that as long as the original isn't burned, and other property standards are met, it isn't an issue for me.

The thing I’d wish they’d ask themselves (with both this and the recent school book bans) is; does sanitizing everything that a child sees growing up make them a better grown-up? It seems to be the goal, but if anything I would figure it just sets them up to be clueless and fragile.

The thing I’d wish they’d ask themselves (with both this and the recent school book bans) is; does sanitizing everything that a child sees growing up make them a better grown-up? It seems to be the goal, but if anything I would figure it just sets them up to be clueless and fragile.
And oddly, there's been no evidence that anyone was making any noise for these changes. It wouldn't happen right away either, it would take awhile for changes to be argued and approved. That said, it still seems possible that these changes could be partly in response to books being reviewed and banned and they want to keep making money.

And oddly, there's been no evidence that anyone was making any noise for these changes. It wouldn't happen right away either, it would take awhile for changes to be argued and approved. That said, it still seems possible that these changes could be partly in response to books being reviewed and banned and they want to keep making money.
There is zero danger the books would stop making money. It’s Roald Dahl. There is no need to make any changes for them to stay relevant.

It’s a power move by religious zealots.

There is zero danger the books would stop making money. It’s Roald Dahl. There is no need to make any changes for them to stay relevant.

It’s a power move by religious zealots.
They would lose a lot if they're banned. There doesn't appear to be anything religious about the changes to Dahl. There aren't demands for destruction of the old material or its readers which would imply zealotry. Unsure how religious zealots about the school book reviews, that would be managed by school/district/state and each taken as its own. Outliers would stand out.

Krathoon

People can't just leave the past alone. I get taking down statues, but revising literature is absurd.

I like to watch the original versions of Disney cartoons because that was how Disney originally was. They are doing their damnedest to hide it now.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
They would lose a lot if they're banned. There doesn't appear to be anything religious about the changes to Dahl. There aren't demands for destruction of the old material or its readers which would imply zealotry. Unsure how religious zealots about the school book reviews, that would be managed by school/district/state and each taken as its own. Outliers would stand out.

Dude, stop with the purposeful ignorant bullshit and remove your head from your arse. You know damn well that he wasn’t referring to literal religious changes, but referring to a similar cult-like regressive censorship doctrine that we see with modern ideologies that you prescribe to.

We have all grown up with these books and we are no worse for wear. If anything, it made us stronger as we could differentiate from how the past is written and modern day. The only ones who can’t are the ones trying to push these changes because they are either too fucking retarded to understand that kids aren’t as dumb as they are or they genuinely think this will make a difference and keep deluding themselves.

Dude, stop with the purposeful ignorant bullshit and remove your head from your arse. You know damn well that he wasn’t referring to literal religious changes, but referring to a similar cult-like regressive censorship doctrine that we see with modern ideologies that you prescribe to.
It isn't cult like or regressive either. That's editorializing.

I like enormous over fat for the use of syllables.
And for bringing to mind the Enorme joke from 30 Rock. chase the chunk

Changes like that seem inconsistent with claims of sensitivity.

Ruining peoples lives because they don’t follow their doctrines? Censoring topics and trying to stifle speech and prevent people from speaking out? Definitely not regressive or cult-like in the least! /s

Give me a fucking break, Rais.
That isn't what this change is about though. This is their product to connect with an audience their way. There's no stifling; the reasoning to get to that conclusion could connect it to the Earth spinning.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
I like enormous over fat for the use of syllables.
And for bringing to mind the Enorme joke from 30 Rock. chase the chunk

Changes like that seem inconsistent with claims of sensitivity.

That isn't what this change is about though. This is their product to connect with an audience their way. There's no stifling; the reasoning to get to that conclusion could connect it to the Earth spinning.

Hence why I said that you should get your head out of your arse and stop being purposefully ignorant. You know full well why they are doing this and you are trying to delude yourself otherwise for some idiotic reason.

IDKFA

Connect with their audience?

Is there actual evidence that people are refusing to buy the original books because the BFG is wearing a "black" cloak or in James and the Giant Peach there is gendered language such as "cloud men" which now needs to be changed to "cloud people"?

Will these ridiculous changes increase sales and turn children into better members of society because we've protected them from reading about a woman who was a cashier?

If so I'd like to see the evidence, because from where I'm sitting this is a push to force a certain ideology.

Hence why I said that you should get your head out of your arse and stop being purposefully ignorant. You know full well why they are doing this and you are trying to delude yourself otherwise for some idiotic reason.
That your culture war larp and created feelings of persecution over this are not real.
My reason is to get a clear understanding for these changes. While there are a claims of reasons, in the end their part in it seems mostly commercial with an excellent exit strategy. Dahl classic.

Connect with their audience?

Is there actual evidence that people are refusing to buy the original books because the BFG is wearing a "black" cloak or in James and the Giant Peach there is gendered language such as "cloud men" which now needs to be changed to "cloud people"?

Will these ridiculous changes increase sales and turn children into better members of society because we've protected them from reading about a woman who was a cashier?

If so I'd like to see the evidence, because from where I'm sitting this is a push to force a certain ideology.
There wasn't, which makes the sensitivity reasons for the changes seem fabricated by the publisher. Yet, to give the benefit, they could be playing on concerns for being banned. Changes made could be things that got flagged.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
That your culture war larp and created feelings of persecution over this are not real.
My reason is to get a clear understanding for these changes. While there are a claims of reasons, in the end their part in it seems mostly commercial with an excellent exit strategy. Dahl classic.

Your gaslighting and ignorance is on full display for all to see. Keep your head in the sand, little warrior.

Not sure either of you really need the attacks on the other, you’re basically on roughly the same side of the issue.

Throughout history one thing you can seemingly always count on is some ‘holier than thou’ asshats basically trying to rewrite everything to their perspective: from the Pharos of Egypt scratching out hieroglyphs of their enemies, to the death of Socrates, to the Roman Emperors trying to re-write history, to the dark ages where reading was almost a form of witchcraft, to the middle ages led to Galileo being banned, to butchered versions of Shakespeare in the renaissance, to the banning of Darwin, to the Nazi book burnings, and the book bans through the more modern years after WW2.

They all make it out to be like the most dangerous thing on Earth is the written word. Now we got a bunch of people doing it yet again just like we did in the 80’s with the same PC/satanic panic bullshit, with them toppling over each other trying to cover people’s eyes from what they wished didn’t exist…didn’t work then and it won’t work now, but they try all the same.

Edit: Not sure if anyone has run into this one (granted this is complete parody):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politically_Correct_Bedtime_Stories

Last edited:
Not sure either of you really need the attacks on the other, you’re basically on roughly the same side of the issue.

Throughout history one thing you can seemingly always count on is some holier than thou asshats basically trying to rewrite everything to their perspective, from the Pharos of Egypt scratching out hieroglyphs of their enemies, to Roman Emperors re-writing history, the dark ages where reading was almost a form of witchcraft, to the middle ages led to Galileo being banned, butchered versions of Shakespeare later, Nazi book burning, the banning of Darwin, and the book bans through the more modern years after WW2.

They all make it out to be like the most dangerous thing on Earth is the written word.
And not all change is destruction. If something like Dahl is given the attention to keep it in circulation with its market longer with sensitive tweaks such as these, it's preserving the original work. Provided the original isn't being destroyed.

I keep thinking of how dialogue could be changed in things that I liked in school books at that age which I think shouldn't be changed now: and any changes to Simon and The Beast from Lord of the Flies has me roaring in laughter. I think that was one of the books that would be documented of people actually really trying to get banned at the time that we heard about in current events while reading the book itself in another class.

And not all change is destruction. If something like Dahl is given the attention to keep it in circulation with its market longer with sensitive tweaks such as these, it's preserving the original work. Provided the original isn't being destroyed.

I keep thinking of how dialogue could be changed in things that I liked in school books at that age which I think shouldn't be changed now: and any changes to Simon and The Beast from Lord of the Flies has me roaring in laughter. I think that was one of the books that would be documented of people actually really trying to get banned at the time that we heard about in current events while reading the book itself in another class.
Haha I do remember there was a series of really dumbed down children’s books based off famous classics that were also kinda famous for getting through book reports though 🤣

StueyDuck

guys you are feeding the fake alt era account person... just ignore their cool guy ulterior motive "capitalistic" takes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom