• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

Ugh, it's worse than I thought. I didn't realize that the Top 10 would now be combining SKUs, instead of listing each platform separately. Has the potential to favor mass multi-platform releases like sports game.

EDIT: Of course, it could also mean that more titles get into the top 10, even those that would have been 11-20 in the old data type.

1-D_FTW

NPD Sales Chart

Some games sold, some didn't.

Some companies made money, some companies made less.

Stay tuned for next month.

dwebo

Jonsoncao said:
NPD Report said:
"The three PS3 Move SKU's residing in the accessories category each made the top 10 in unit sales of accessory items for the month of September."

"The 360 Live 1600 point card was once again the best-selling accessory item, followed this month by the PS3 $20 Network Card. We continue to examine industry sales that occur outside the traditional retail channel, and the success of these items at retail, points to the growing importance of sales via digital distribution."
From the link Road provided: http://content.usatoday.com/communi...nt-carry-industry-sales-to-overall-increase/1

Well, Madden numbers don't tend to deviate much from year to year, and last Sept they posted 289k, so I think it's pretty safe to assume everything on the list below Madden did under 300k. Which was probably already obvious, but there you go.

Empty

BlazingDarkness said:
Kingdom Hearts.

i know the brand is really strong, but i thought the psp was too dead in the west for it to succeed.

i'm pleasantly surprised for it, really.

Dai101

Banned
And now the only thing that keep me in the gaming side has died ...... oh well, there's always something in the Off topic side :D

Zero-Crescent said:
Ugh, it's worse than I thought. I didn't realize that the Top 10 would now be combining SKUs, instead of listing each platform separately. Has the potential to favor mass multi-platform releases like sports game.

Yeah, it hadn't really sunk in how beneficial to your EAs and Activisions 'new style' NPD was going to be until I saw FIFA so high.

I think we can all agree clearly Spiderman bombed though.

duckroll

Empty said:
i know the brand is really strong, but i thought the psp was too dead in the west for it to succeed.

i'm pleasantly surprised for it, really.

Birth by Sleep could have sold 30k. We won't know. NO NUMBERS. NO POINT. NO HOPE. :(

Can't you guys make fantastic gifs based on the idea that you have no data? During dire times is when men become heroes! Not me. I'm too lazy. But you, maybe :lol

Nirolak said:
The Top 10 sellers (in order, publisher and platform in parentheses):

Halo: Reach (Microsoft, Xbox 360) - 3.3 Million
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP)
Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
NHL 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3)
FIFA Soccer 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Nintendo DS)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix, PSP)
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Activision Blizzard, PS3, 360, NDS, Wii)
Metroid: Other M (Nintendo, Wii)
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

Really? Those two games are pretty surprising to me. Halo is no surprise whatsoever and MW2 is still hanging on. I wonder what the current total is for MW2.

NPD shouldn't even bother releasing what little they are.

It's all meaningless without context.

Might as well just tell us nothing. Force the press to buy 120K subscriptions just to find out which game sold the most across 8 systems.

Sadist

io2i42.jpg

OH SALES-AGE WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU

Pooya

Anyone has combined numbers of FIFA10 from last year? it could give us some clue, I don't think numbers have changed much!!

Jonsoncao

Banned
DUFFMCWALIN said:
Really? Those two games are pretty surprising to me. Halo is no surprise whatsoever and MW2 is still hanging on. I wonder what the current total is for MW2.
keep in mind that it is a multiplatform chart, which means any single SKU above BBS or OM could outsell either of them by a large margin

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Well congrats to MS for keeping the 360 and Halo brand strong.

Has a prequel to a multi-million selling franchise ever done so well? (difficulty: No Zelda).

jkanownik

Absoludacrous said:
Well, Madden numbers don't tend to deviate much from year to year, and last Sept they posted 289k, so I think it's pretty safe to assume everything on the list below Madden did under 300k. Which was probably already obvious, but there you go.

The 289K was 360 only. It's useless for comparison. You'd have to add the other platforms and PS3 (245K) was the only one that charted.

duckroll said:
Birth by Sleep could have sold 30k. We won't know. NO NUMBERS. NO POINT. NO HOPE. :(

Well its one of the few single platform games that are on the list

Halo is at 3.3 million. BBS outsold Other: M.

miladesn said:
Anyone has combined numbers of FIFA10 from last year? it could give us some clue, I don't think numbers have changed much!!

Well, we did have a world cup this year which arguably might have expanded the US fanbase for soccer football

AniHawk

jetjevons said:
Well congrats to MS for keeping the 360 and Halo brand strong.

Has a prequel to a multi-million selling franchise ever done so well? (difficulty: No Zelda).

Does Yoshi's Island count?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Right now, NPD ceases to be of interest to me. Nothing I read there tells me anything either useful, or informative or even worth arguing about.

I'll retreat to LawGaf.

Boney said:
Could it be that Other M sold more in Japan? :lol

:(
Let this be a lesson to Sakamoto to never again try to develop Metroid with the ulterior motive of capturing "casual" audiences (which proved both silly and presumptuous on his part), and instead focus on simply producing a great game where quality speaks for itself without trying to pander to people who never have and never will give a fuck.

duckroll

ExtraKr1spy said:
Well its one of the few single platform games that are on the list

Halo is at 3.3 million. BBS outsold Other: M.

Think about it this way. The five titles above BbS are all combined sales. Given the titles involved, I would say there's a very good chance that most of the individual releases on each platform for those games also outsold BbS. Which is to say, the only reason why BbS charted is because we're getting a list of combined SKUs now with no numbers.

Top Bottom