• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

Pooya

about Professor Layton and Unwound Future, Is it safe to assume sales have been lower that Diabolical Box? DB had few days in August and ranked 16th, all I could find is that it must be higher than 66k (Madden 10 Wii) and less than 92k, In Sep 2009 it ranked 18th with higher than 134k. Now here for UF (released Sep 12th) if it sold anything close to last year's game we should have seen it in top 10.

jvm

Gamasutra.
miladesn said:
about Professor Layton and Unwound Future, Is it safe to assume sales have been lower that Diabolical Box? DB had few days in August and ranked 16th, all I could find is that it must be higher than 66k (Madden 10 Wii) and less than 92k, In Sep 2009 it ranked 18th with higher than 134k. Now here for UF (released Sep 12th) if it sold anything close to last year's game we should have seen it in top 10.
Going from memory (I'm tired, forgive me) DB was in top 20 last year? If so, I think it was guaranteed 100K. It is my belief that UF did not do as well.

Pooya

jvm said:
Going from memory (I'm tired, forgive me) DB was in top 20 last year? If so, I think it was guaranteed 100K. It is my belief that UF did not do as well.

here are top 20 from last year:

top-20-sep-2009.png

August

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25227

1. Madden NFL 10 (360) / Electronic Arts / 928,000
2. Wii Sports Resort w/ Wii Motion Plus (Wii) / Nintendo / 754,000
3. Madden NFL 10 (PS3) / Electronic Arts/ 665,000
4. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360) / Square Enix (Eidos) / 303,000
5. Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) / Square Enix (Eidos) / 290,000
6. Madden NFL 10 (PS2) / Electronic Arts / 160,000
7. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP) / Square Enix / 130,000
8. Wii Fit (Wii) / Nintendo / 128,000
9. Mario Kart w/ Wheel (Wii) / Nintendo / 120,000
10. Fossil Fighters (DS) / Nintendo / 92,000
11. Mario Kart DS NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-05
12. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-06
13. WII PLAY W/ REMOTE WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07
14. POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Mar-09
15. NCAA FOOTBALL 10 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jul-09
16. PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE DIABOLICAL BOX NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Aug-09
17. MADDEN NFL 10 WII ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-09
18. WOLFENSTEIN 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Aug-09
19. EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE WII ELECTRONIC ARTS May-09
20. TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* WII ELECTRONIC ARTS Jun-09

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, well I don't believe UF broke 100K in September 2010, so I'd say that qualifies as not doing as well as DB. I really wish Nintendo had put out some figures this month...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
bigtroyjon said:
An estimate from 3-4 weeks ago
Ok ok - ~3weeks.
They posted the number exactly on 30th, for the sales of the month of Sep (as opposed to any commercial tracker, ******** gets their numbers accurate to the day ;))

seady

Sorry if old.

This week IGN Gamescoop podcast leaked out some numbers. They said the highest Move standalone title sold was EyePet, and still that was less than 30,000.

From Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6176/npd_behind_the_numbers_september_.php?page=4
Even with a top 10 title, PSP hardware sales were down 44% from last year, according to Wedbush's Pachter. There are still titles planned for the PSP, including Sony's own God of War: Ghost of Sparta launching in November with a special edition of the PSP system itself, but we agree with Pachter's assessment that there appears little that Sony can do with the system. The launch of the 3DS by Nintendo in five or six months makes Sony's handheld future even more difficult.

If Pachter is correct, the PSP sales were 106,624

Haunted

Am I the only one thinking that this month's Move sales (barring superbomba or supersuccess) weren't that important in the larger scheme of things? Sony's entering this casual market because they're hoping for a slow burn comparable to the Wii evergreens, surely. That's where the greatest appeal for this blue ocean lies for many companies.

The most important measure of success for Move and Sports Champions will be the performance in the coming months (beyond the holiday bumps, obviously).

An estimated 300k from Pachter vs Wii M+'s 850k first month (WSR bundle included) isn't as bad as it might sound for Move if they can keep it selling steadily into mid-late 2011. Think Wii Party, selling on for months and months.

Of course, conversely, if sales are frontloaded and quickly taper/drop off like they usually do, it'll be bad. Very bad.

poppabk

Haunted said:
Am I the only one thinking that this month's Move sales (barring superbomba or supersuccess) weren't that important in the larger scheme of things? Sony's entering this casual market because they're hoping for a slow burn comparable to the Wii evergreens, surely. That's where the greatest appeal for this blue ocean lies for many companies.
A slow burn is not a great idea unless they plan on shouldering the software entirely by themselves. Hopefully they have a big Christmas push planned.

WaltJay

poppabk said:
A slow burn is not a great idea unless they plan on shouldering the software entirely by themselves. Hopefully they have a big Christmas push planned.

My thoughts exactly. Move really needs a strong showing this holiday, else the release calendar will start to look very barren outside of some Wii ports and traditional games with tacked-on Move functionality.

Now that I think about, the Wii has a very large install base and most of its third party games don't sell. Why would a developer think that the PS3 and Move will be any different than the current Wii situation? Maybe putting out a Wii-like device when third-party Wii games don't sell well isn't a smart move.

duk

Banned
seady said:
Sorry if old.

This week IGN Gamescoop podcast leaked out some numbers. They said the highest Move standalone title sold was EyePet, and still that was less than 30,000.

yeeeeshhh

AniHawk

seady said:
Sorry if old.

I thought that would have sold a lot better.

Top Bottom