• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

EviLore said:
Dead Rising 2 -- 370K across all platforms
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep -- 225K
Metroid: Other M -- 173K

Oh, thank Jesus for posting Other M sales. My curiosity was consuming me. :lol

I guess those are okay-ish numbers. One has to wonder how much money they sunk into all those cut scenes though.

Rainier

EviLore said:

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.
DR2 numbers seem lower than I thought, if that includes PC. Wait, that doesn't include Steam sales, right?

Massa

Good numbers for KH, gives me hope for God of War.

Rainier said:
DR2 numbers seem lower than I thought, if that includes PC. Wait, that doesn't include Steam sales, right?

I would assume it's retail only.

Banned
Truespeed said:
It's got 8GB on board so they definitely have future plans for it.

No controller and only powerful enough to run iPhone level games. Dont think it is a threat to any of the current console makers.

fernoca

miladesn said:
that's quite great actually, How did Days do?
The game released September 29, 2009 in the US; so:

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
September 2009
11. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360) / Square Enix (Eidos) / 208,600
12. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (NDS) / Square Enix / (N/A)
13. Scribblenauts (NDS) / Warner Bros. / 194,000

October 2009
09. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 (DS) / Square Enix / 169,000

PSGames

EviLore said:

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Awesome. Thanks a lot for these man. Hopefully you'll continue to get nuggets like this for the 'big releases' going forward.

Dead Rising 2 is disappointing for such a fantastic game. One of my favorite games of the year so far. :-/

Rainier

ShockingAlberto said:
Dead Rising 2 released fairly late in the month.
Is there an accepted consensus as to how many days a front-loaded game needs to be on sale before said amount of days is not considered an issue? Serious question.

Pooya

fernoca said:
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

September 2009
11. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360) / Square Enix (Eidos) / 208,600
12. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (NDS) / Square Enix / (N/A)
13. Scribblenauts (NDS) / Warner Bros. / 194,000

October 2009
09. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 (DS) / Square Enix / 169,000

So around 200k in Sep and 169k in Oct, 370k total, so that's not very good for BbS.

Osuwari

EviLore said:

shit. Other M might end selling as bad as Hunters at this rate.

miladesn said:
So around 200k in Sep and 169k in Oct, 370k total, so that's not very good for BbS.

well it did 225k on a platform that's a software wasteland in the US so it gets some kudos.

Not expecting it appearing for October at all though.

Pooya

Infinite Justice said:
well it did 225k on a platform that's a software wasteland in the US so it gets some kudos.

Not expecting it appearing for October at all though.
for a PSP game is very impressive of course but for Kingdom Hearts series and for a game like BbS (compared with what Days was), it's not :\ .

Osuwari

Spike said:
I'm expecting the release of DKCR and a possible price drop to catapult Wii sales again.

imo, a DKCR bundle with a special colored Wii and preloaded DKC trilogy might help more. the DKC bundle in the SNES days helped a lot and DK64's special N64 was also helpful.

szaromir

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Confession Time: It probably sold more in Europe
Isn't Metroid traditionally the strongest in the US?

I have a tip for Nintendo - release Metroid 2D on handhelds. The fact that we have to play Spiderman games for the Metroidvania fix should tell it all.

Canova

Banned
EviLore said:

Didn't Inafune predict 3M for DR2?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
hatchx said:
173k is not as bad as it could have been for Metroid.

Software sales seems kind of low if you don't consider Halo.
Yeah the charts have been getting more and more top loaded to the number one selling title of the month.

It's very rare for more than two titles to do well, so we're nearing a very hard collapse in the current development model at this rate.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Across all platforms? Fuck, that's not so good. :(
4M44L.gif

Goddammit.

What a shame. This is all you guys's fault.

Didn't Inafune predict 3M for DR2?

Capcom expect 1.8 mil. Which is well under what the game deserves, but OH WELL.

PSGames said:
Case Zero's sales were worldwide.
Oh, that makes a lot more sense.

DR2's sales are curiously low, then. The game was well advertised, the original was a million seller.

The only thing I can think of, really, is that people bought the first game, didn't like it, and decided to pass on the sequel.

Takao

Banned
I'd imagine the fact its been four years since the first Dead Rising probably had something to do with it. When you start a franchise out like that, and have the sequel released so far apart, you kind of have to keep the game relevant in people's minds somehow. Capcom didn't really do that with DR.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Either way, it's a shame. But I guess greatness isn't always recognized.

Capcom could have done a better job advertising it, but I gotta give em credit for taking in Blue Castle and making them Capcom Vancouver.

honestly I just wanna separate the 360 numbers since they're probably the majority so at least we can put a solid number on it, no matter how depressing it is.

Sean

Banned
Chris1964 said:
August 8, 2006 release
[360] Dead Rising (Capcom) - 337.000

Wow that's all DR1 sold in it's first month? I always thought it opened with like 700-800k. Maybe I'm mixing it up with Lost Planet.

Dead Rising 2's sales don't seem that bad then.

Phenomic

Well just a hunch but I don't think we are going to be seeing another Team Ninja Metroid. I enjoyed Other M so I'm kinda on the fence about if I think that's good or not. I think they might look at it and try to go back to 1st Person Adventure again which I'd rather not have at this point either despite me loving the Prime Series. Reggie wanting 1.5 million and getting less then 200k yeeeeeeah.

Pooya

Takao said:
I'd imagine the fact its been four years since the first Dead Rising probably had something to do with it. When you start a franchise out like that, and have the sequel released so far apart, you kind of have to keep the game relevant in people's minds somehow. Capcom didn't really do that with DR.
yeah, all they did was releasing a horrible Wii port, DR2 is two years late :| .

Sean said:
Wow that's all DR1 sold in it's first month? I always thought it opened with like 700-800k. Maybe I'm mixing it up with Lost Planet.

Dead Rising 2's sales don't seem that bad then.
it ranked 16th in September, couldn't find any numbers for that.

szaromir

Banned
hatchx said:
173k is not as bad as it could have been for Metroid.

Software sales seems kind of low if you don't consider Halo.
That was obvious the moment NPD and Microsoft gave their numbers, software sales shrank 6% while Halo sales increased from 1.5M to 3.3M and Reach had more expensive SKUs then ODST, meaning the rest of the industry is much, much smaller than last year.

Chris1964 said:
August 8, 2006 release
[360] Dead Rising (Capcom) - 337.000
Thanks. Interesting to see that across all platforms, Dead Rising 2 was just above Dead Rising 1 in sales. Dead Rising 2 might have had less time on the chart, but it had a whole lot more potential buyers between all systems, compared to just Xbox 360 back in 2006.

A proper demo across all platforms would have garnered more attention and potentially more sales to Dead Rising 2.

Moegames

Banned
looks like xbox 360 is taken over the wii in sales for good now..i was not quite convinced for the past few months the 360 outsold the wii..but its now confirmed in my book that wii is and will never surpass the 360 in terms of hardware sales in any month again this gen.

The 360 has really did some smooth marketing here.. they knew the wii could only last for so long with dated hardware..eventually people would want more graphics in their games.. MS decided on the kinetic later in 360's life cycle because the wii fanatics would most likely jump ship for a kinetic machine and 360 ...and you can clearly see that happening.

As for Sony's Move...ugh.. i just dont know how i feel about it being successful or not...

Overall im quite glad to see the xbox 360 take full control of hardware and software sales...i predicted this many moons ago when gafers would laugh at me and shove wii sales in my face...man it use to piss me off but i knew inside that the wii wont have legs this gen for the simple fact that people want HD graphics now days..more so now then the start of this gen.

The good news is this.. hopefully the wii will drop in price..to the point the less fortunate can afford one now.. that does make me happy inside

Top Bottom