• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

It probably get to 1 million - 1 million something WW at the end of the gen for Other M, probably superpassing games like Echoes or Zero Mission. Metroid is not a franchise that sales a lot, but Nintendo will still make Metroid games and they are probably be slightly profitable at the end. Its iconic, so I dont see it going anywhere (it could go the "generation rest" as lots of nintendo franchises do, like Metroid during the N64 days, or F-Zero now) but we will surely get another Metroid game, sooner or later.

Also, I dont think they will change the formula a lot, my opinion is it that Sakamoto will probably try to rework the things that didnt seem to click in other M and work from there, and that could make an impressive game.
If it does the generation rest, it will probably come with even a more classical game like Super and Zero done by Sakamoto, or give it to another team and try new things.

Ridley327

brain_stew said:
That didn't have to be the case though. Capcom completely botched Dead Rising 2 on the PS3 and PC. No port of the original game (a cheap port of DR1 sold for $20 on Steam and PSN could have created huge interest and made decent bank), no Case Zero, no demo and exclusive 360 DLC content announced before release. What utter stupidity, the franchise never had a chance on either format, Capcom only have themselves to blame.

Once you consider they were launching within a week of the biggest 360 title of the year and had a relatively clean slate on the PS3 and PC it makes it even more dumbfounding and stupid.
Although I agree with you 100% as far as the PS3 is concerned, it seems overly optimistic that the kind of game that Dead Rising is would have any substantial success on the PC. Despite its rogue-like tendencies, it is very much a console game at its heart. I would put money down on the majority of DR2 owners on the PC being console gamers who just wanted a version of the game that didn't run like crap.

szaromir

Banned
NHale said:
Then why did Madden NFL 11 sold almost the same in both consoles? August 2010: X360 - 920.8K vs. PS3 - 893.6K. By your logic it should have sold a ton more copies on the 360 than on the PS3...
I don't know. But if you automatically assume FIFA sold the same on both platform, you also have to assume one of the following:
a) there's a higher probability that a PS3 owner would buy any football (soccer) game
b) there's a higher probability that a PS3 owner would buy any sports game
c) there's a higher probability that a PS3 owner would buy any multiplatform game

Unless you provide data to support one of these claims, I'd stick to the assumption that FIFA sales aren't even across the two platforms.

Ridley327 said:
Although I agree with you 100% as far as the PS3 is concerned, it seems overly optimistic that the kind of game that Dead Rising is would have any substantial success on the PC. Despite its rogue-like tendencies, it is very much a console game at its heart. I would put money down on the majority of DR2 owners on the PC being console gamers who just wanted a version of the game that didn't run like crap.

They could have at least given it a chance. The $5 Case Zero would have been the perfect way to allow PC gamers to give the franchise a chance with little risk. Steam sales have shown PC gamers will buy pretty much anything so long as its cheap enough.:lol

It wouldn't have done the full game any harm and they could even knock the $5 off DR2 if you want to "upgrade" from Case Zero which would have got an awful lot more people to try it. It was never going to match the sales of Civ 5 or Starcraft or anything but they could have at least given it a chance. Games spread very virally on the PC because of Steam and the fact its community features are tied so closely to the storefront, something like that could have created plenty of positive buzz and free marketing.

There's really nothing quite like it on the PC and PC gamers have proven to be more open to different genres and original content than most, a lot of diverse stuff sells on the platform, so with a low risk way to dip into the franchise like that they it might have had a chance, who knows. Just withdrawing yourself to the fact that its going to bomb before its even launched and making no effort to increase awareness is ridiculous.

It actually got a lot of positive press from the big PC sites (like RPS) but all of that came after launch (which is too late for most games) as even journalists didn't have access to the PC version until it had launched. If they had instead got all that positive press a month before launch by releasing Case Zero who knows how it might have done. At least it would have had a chance.

Road

Rainier said:
A few months ago it was tracking ahead of the PS2, maybe donny or Chris can post if it still is.
It still is. The Wii is still the fastest selling console in the US.

After 47 months:
WII - 30.4 million
PS2 - 24.6 million (~46 million LTD)
NDS - 22.4 million (~43 million LTD)

It is not gonna fall behind the PS2 any time soon. The DS is actually the one that might pull ahead of both (it is already ahead of the PS2 launch-aligned).

radcliff

brain_stew said:
It won't. They can release a box in late 2011 that can be sold at a profit at $299 and comfortably surpass the graphics in 360 games with a minimal R & D investment. It'll get excellent third party support by default because moving over PS3 and 360 titles will be incredibly cheap. If the 3DS is convincing publishers to commission high profile and exclusive core content then the Wii 2 will be able to convince them to crap out a cheap port, its basically free cash.

But when PS4 and the new XBOX launches a few years after, won't Nintendo be in the same position it is in now with an underpowered console (I am assuming Sony and MS would leapfrog whatever Nintendo would theoretically put out next year).

radcliff said:
But when PS4 and the new XBOX launches a few years after, won't Nintendo be in the same position it is in now with an underpowered console (I am assuming Sony and MS would leapfrog whatever Nintendo would theoretically put out next year).

Not at all. It'll be a completely different situation as the GPU featureset will be nigh on identical, all that code you write for PS4/Xbox3 games will run just fine on Wii2 just at lower precision and there'll only be a 2-4x difference in memory capacity at most not the 6x gap we saw this generation. You'll be able to use all the same art assets and all the same game engines which makes supporting the three platforms much simpler. There might even be a core base built up on the platform as well if there's good support from launch (which there will be) so these titles will actually have a chance of selling. Games that are much cheaper to create and have a better better chance of selling generally have a better chance of being commissioned.

Microsoft and Sony simply can't offer a huge generational leap above that point, the economics, thermals and power consumption figures just won't allow it. They'll offer a significant leap, sure, but it won't stop developers from being able to support the Wii 2 by targeting 720p (instead of 1080p), slashing texture resolution by half/quarter (not a huge issue given the drop in rendering resolution), ditching high levels of AA/AF, running shaders at lower precision and losing a few bells and whistles. They'll still be able to offer the same core experience, which they couldn't hope to do this generation since the gap in hardware and rendering approaches will be much, much lower. A few games that really push physics or something may not be possible but they'll be the exception and not the norm (and even they may be possible by running the physics simulation on the GPU, it'll just require gimping the graphics even more).

They'll have the definitive console version of COD6, Bungie's project, Bioshock 2, DmC, Mass Effect 3 and more (assuming they sort out their online solution of course) long before the PS4 and Xbox3 are on the horizon and that should be enough to build a decent enough base of gamers that appreciate core third party titles.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
between minecraft and modern warfare, the road to success in this industry is more bucketed than a hooker with a penchant for double fisting retiring with a swiss bank account.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Re: DR2's "low" sales: I don't really think it's the type of game people have to have on day one, like a Halo or a CoD. The month ended Thursday so it didn't even get a weekend's sales in; I'd be surprised if it didn't add at least another 150k over the three days this tracking stops just short of.

duckroll

Dead Rising 2 numbers are for less than a week of sales. Combined with the first two weeks of Japanese sales, which is what we have so far, that puts Dead Rising 2 at over 500k sold worldwide without even factoring in sales in Europe. It means Dead Rising 2 has essentially outsold LP2's lifetime sales at launch.

Xater

duckroll said:
Dead Rising 2 numbers are for less than a week of sales. Combined with the first two weeks of Japanese sales, which is what we have so far, that puts Dead Rising 2 at over 500k sold worldwide without even factoring in sales in Europe. It means Dead Rising 2 has essentially outsold LP2's lifetime sales at launch.

But will it reach the 2.5 million expectation of Capcom?

Celine

brain_stew said:
Its the most dramatic and swift fall from grace we've ever seen in the console market. Its bad.
But Wii surge to success was also "dramatic" and "swift" propelled mostly by just one company and that company enjoyed never before seen profits from it.
After 4 years Wii business is declining and I'm sure Nintendo isn't pleased about it but I can't
understand all the drama about it.
Also while I'm sure Nintendo next console will have a modern and performing architecture, I'm more interested in learning what new experience Nintendo will bring.

duckroll

Xater said:
But will it reach the 2.5 million expectation of Capcom?

It depends on the legs, but that's a longshot expectation. I'm pretty certain it will outsell DR1 though. It should end up with over a million sales in the US, and 200-300k in Japan. Europe will have to make up for the rest, and I don't think it's going to bomb there either.

NeonZ

brain_stew said:
Not at all. It'll be a completely different situation as the GPU featureset will be nigh on identical, all that code you write for PS4/Xbox3 games will run just fine on Wii2 just at lower precision and there'll only be a 2-4x difference in memory capacity at most not the 6x gap we saw this generation. You'll be able to use all the same art assets and all the same game engines which makes supporting the three platforms much simpler. There might even be a core base built up on the platform as well if there's good support from launch (which there will be) so these titles will actually have a chance of selling. Games that are much cheaper to create and have a better better chance of selling generally have a better chance of being commissioned.

Of course, that's assuming Nintendo will leap frog the 360 and PS3 (rather than just released a boosted version of them) AND will fix whatever third party policy problems they currently have. Most of the support problem might be fixed by superior hardware, but, especially in Japan, it seems like Nintendo's problems are bigger than that.

Anyway, I think that's a possible scenario, but Nintendo seems to insist on rather left field decisions at times. Although... The 3DS does seem to be pretty much a traditional generational successor, so the same happening to Nintendo's home console isn't unlikely.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
NeonZ said:
Of course, that's assuming Nintendo will leap frog the 360 and PS3 (rather than just released a boosted version of them) AND will fix whatever third party policy problems they currently have. Most of the support problem might be fixed by superior hardware, but, especially in Japan, it seems like Nintendo's problems are bigger than that.

Anyway, I think that's a possible scenario, but Nintendo seems to insist on rather left field decisions at times. Although... The 3DS does seem to be pretty much a traditional generational successor, so the same happening to Nintendo's home console isn't unlikely.

Well, Nintendo can't release a boosted version of them, since they don't own the rights to so like they did with the GC hardware, and buying them wouldn't be cheaper than a new design. Designing a power efficient cheap console using modern architectures should result in nice bump of power from the 360.

NeonZ said:

They'd significantly leapfrog MS and Sony by using the graphics chip that AMD are going to be shipping as their integrated graphics solution from next year, with a cheap 64 bit bus and common GDDR5 memory. They can even get away with using AMD's netbook design to supply the CPU cores (4 @ 2ghz will be more than enough). So they can use a much cheaper chip than the solution they use for low end ~$500 laptops. Do you expect AMD to design Nintendo a new graphics chip that is significantly lower end than their integrated graphics chip?

No, they'll comfortably surpass MS and Sony, it'd take serious effort not to.

Guevara

I hope Nintendo gets the message that this is not the Metroid that we want. More likely, they will just put Metroid on the shelf for another 5 years.

Boney

Banned
Guevara said:
I hope Nintendo gets the message that this is not the Metroid that we want. More likely, they will just put Metroid on the shelf for another 5 years.
Please don't speak on my behalf.

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
It depends on the legs, but that's a longshot expectation. I'm pretty certain it will outsell DR1 though. It should end up with over a million sales in the US, and 200-300k in Japan. Europe will have to make up for the rest, and I don't think it's going to bomb there either.

it will max out around 1.5m-1.7m. It will never reach 2m

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As far as Other M goes I think people should look at the big picture. Other M was definitely a general experiment by Nintendo with story, voice acting, production values, etc. Folks need to separate the game design in Other M from production values exploration. Metroid was the platform they chose to test this upon. Doesn't mean Other M is the sole future of Metroid, however much it sells.

But if it does sell decently (aka breaks a million) I wouldn't be surprised if they apply some of what they learned to other games.

Curufinwe

brain_stew said:
They'll have the definitive console version of COD6, Bungie's project, Bioshock 2, DmC, Mass Effect 3 and more (assuming they sort out their online solution of course) long before the PS4 and Xbox3 are on the horizon and that should be enough to build a decent enough base of gamers that appreciate core third party titles.

I assume you mean Bioshock Infinite? Also DmC does not belong on that list of heavy hitters.

Boney

Banned
:(

I just wanna see the style expanded upon. Include sequence breaking, (meaning a return of the old power up system) and not having such a long exposition dump at the beggining, hire an editor. And get give the translation team liberties. You no gringo Sakamoto.

I feel there's a lot that can be done with the current design, and make a kick ass game.

Busaiku

SpacePirate Ridley said:
It probably get to 1 million - 1 million something WW at the end of the gen for Other M, probably superpassing games like Echoes or Zero Mission.
I don't think it'll come close to that.
Metroid games typically aren't known for great legs. I also doubt word of mouth was good for the game.

Assuming it probably debuted at 250k-300k, I think it might reach 600k-700k.

Boney said:
:(

I just wanna see the style expanded upon. Include sequence breaking, (meaning a return of the old power up system) and not having such a long exposition dump at the beggining, hire an editor. And get give the translation team liberties. You no gringo Sakamoto.

I feel there's a lot that can be done with the current design, and make a kick ass game.
I'd really love to see a refined Other M style game, there was a lot of fun to be had with it despite its flaws. I woke up this morning and got a random urge to go back and play it on hard.

Mrbob

brain_stew said:
It won't. They can release a box in late 2011 that can be sold at a profit at $299 and comfortably surpass the graphics in 360 games with a minimal R & D investment. It'll get excellent third party support by default because moving over PS3 and 360 titles will be incredibly cheap. If the 3DS is convincing publishers to commission high profile and exclusive core content then the Wii 2 will be able to convince them to crap out a cheap port, its basically free cash.

So all the titles that are really driving the PS3 and 360 will be available on Nintendo's system, only in 1080p, with better textures, better performance and full tessellation support. Add to that Nintendo's first party content and the best motion controls in the industry (they should be able to surpass Move by then, they've obviously invested in the technology) and you've got more than enough to hit a comfortable 20m userbase before the PS4 and Xbox3 are even on the market. They can worry about the expanded audience from there.

The question is does Nintendo have enough pull to get the current people who own PS3 and 360 systems to upgrade? Personally I have zero interest in any Nintendo console (even one more powerful for a small time) until they fix their online situation, their storage situation for download games, and the ability to transfer download games from one platform to another.

I don't think the casual market now which owns a Wii really cares about an advanced version which is the same thing with better graphics. Besides, Nintendo have stated in the past if they are going to release a new console it has to be something new besides graphics inside the box. However based on what happened with the Wii it makes it tough for me to get excited about anything new in the console space they'll cover.

Amir0x

Banned
Guevara said:

yes. Dear god that is what I hope more than anything. What a horrible shit that game was :(

duckroll

canova said:
just my prediction. and the fact that there are many good games coming out this fall/winter, DR2 will be forgotten quickly

We'll see. I think the word of mouth will continue to drive sales for the title in the months to come. I'll be pretty surprised if it doesn't crack 2 million eventually.

Mrbob said:
I don't think the casual market now which owns a Wii really cares about an advanced version which is the same thing with better graphics. Besides, Nintendo have stated in the past if they are going to release a new console it has to be something new besides graphics inside the box. However based on what happened with the Wii it makes it tough for me to get excited about anything new in the console space they'll cover.

How are any of those issues going to be easier to tackle if Nintendo delay the launch of their next console? At least if they launch it early they'll be able to build a strong base before having to worry about attracting the expanded audience. I just don't see what they have to gain by putting off the release of the Wii's successor forever more..

Xater

Amir0x said:
yes. Dear god that is what I hope more than anything. What a horrible shit that game was :(

Other M would be easy to fix. Throw out all the shitty gameplay and story. Make Super Metroid, but with 3D graphics. Perfect game. Basically Team Ninja should have taken a good look at Shadow Complex.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
People are dissapointed with Other M sales? That's actually more than I was expecting. And I loved the game. People just aren't buying Wii software in bulk at launch. Isn't that on par with Super Mario Galaxy 2?

duckroll

Xater said:
Other M would be easy to fix. Throw out all the shitty gameplay and story. Make Super Metroid, but with 3D graphics. Perfect game. Basically Team Ninja should have taken a good look at Shadow Complex.

If they want to throw out all the gameplay and story presentation of Other M, why partner with Team Ninja in the first place though? There's no reason why Nintendo cannot develop a 3D Super Metriod game internally. They would probably do an even better job.

Xater

duckroll said:
If they want to throw out all the gameplay and story presentation of Other M, why partner with Team Ninja in the first place though? There's no reason why Nintendo cannot develop a 3D Super Metriod game internally. They would probably do an even better job.

Maybe yeah. I just mentioned Team Ninja because we ended up with them.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Squeenix does Disney smokes Me-To Walker? Take that Kojima! Get your mission-based crapfest outta my MGS!

Still wish I knew how VCII did (hopefully it tanked) and PS:p2. Surely they were in the PSP top 10 at the very least for whatever thats worth ~_~;

Mrbob

brain_stew said:
How are any of those issues going to be easier to tackle if Nintendo delay the launch of their next console? At least if they launch it early they'll be able to build a strong base before having to worry about attracting the expanded audience. I just don't see what they have to gain by putting off the release of the Wii's successor forever more..

I guess my question is one of who exactly is a Wii HD or Wii + desirable too at this point? If I want to watch hi def movies, have a decent experience online, I'll stick with my PS3. Heck if I want advanced waggle I'll just go buy a Move kit. Xbox 360 owners aren't going to go abandon their friends and the advanced online network to go buy a Wii system with better graphics. Love or hate Xbox Live, MS have done a pretty tremendous job building up a community which really doesn't want to go anywhere else. Current casual owners of the Wii won't go buy a new system just for better graphics. There has to be a separate hook involved. Nintendo needs the "next big thing" to launch with whatever console they bring out. Even then, the jury is still out if that even matters outside of Nintendo products.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I think it may be important to remember that Other M's launch day was August 31, so maybe there are a few thousand units sold left forgotten in the September ranking (?).

For comparison, if this old data I found is correct, Corruption sold 218k copies in four days in August 2007.

duckroll

Xater said:
Maybe yeah. I just mentioned Team Ninja because we ended up with them.

I know, but my point was that we ended up with Team Ninja specifically because of the direction Nintendo wanted for this game.

Top Bottom