• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
HarryPotterWaggleOfFire.gif

Tiktaalik

Dead Rising sales are pretty ho hum :\

Metroid did much better than I thought but I wonder, given the negative critical reception, whether it'll lose all legs after this month.

Ridley327

Dead Rising 2 sold better in 5 days than the first game did with nearly an entire month at its disposal.

I'm not sure what the expectations were for 5 days; it's not like the first game was a widely beloved treasure amongst gamers.

Tiktaalik

Ridley327 said:
Dead Rising 2 sold better in 5 days than the first game did with nearly an entire month at its disposal.

I'm not sure what the expectations were for 5 days; it's not like the first game was a widely beloved treasure amongst gamers.

It was more a personal expectation that it'd hopefully do better. I had a feeling that maybe with the extra advertising and Case Zero it'd click with gamers and sell quite well.

As Duckroll mentioned earlier though, it was released near the end of the month.

The sales are ok. It'll be fine. Even if it wasn't as big of an initial smash out of the park hit as I hoped.

Ridley327

Like I said, I'm somewhat surprised it did so well. The first game is easily the most polarizing game this entire gen and I would have thought that would have kneecapped any sequel's sales potential.

jedimike

gerg said:
Is 300,000 units bad?

What did M+ do in its first month?

The number by itself is meaningless as to whether it is good or bad. If Sony expected to sell 250k and sold 300k, then that would be good. If they expected to move 500k and only moved 300k, then the number sucks... I think we all can assume it performed under expectations.

For comparison, MS expects to sell 3M insects this year (worldwide).

Edit: GD Android auto-correct... I meant Kinect not insect.

[Nintex]

300k for Move and a GT5 delay, that Kinect train is going to hit team Sony so hard that it sends Kevin Butler back in time. I remember when I thought that Xbox 360 was doomed when management left and Mattrick only told us that Kinect and his new box would be 'teh awesome'.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
[Nintex] said:
300k for Move and a GT5 delay, that Kinect train is going to hit team Sony so hard that it sends Kevin Butler back in time. I remember when I thought that Xbox 360 was doomed when management left and Mattrick only told us that Kinect and his new box would be 'teh awesome'.
Hardly. 300k units is pretty weak as far as actually competing with Nintendo for the fabled "Casual game market", and that GT5 delay is definitely going to hurt in the short term, but as it stands, I can't see Kinect doing much better in the long run. I think it might do better up front, seeing as it seems a bit better communicated in the commercials (as much as they're showing off what the move does in those commercials, Kevin Butler kind of upstages everything there), I don't see it holding onto any particularly powerful momentum.

The move will probably have better legs as long as they have engaging software options, but even then, Move is going to be be difficult to give momentum.

CaptYamato said:
BTW guys I am leaking next months number

Vanquish 82,000,000

Every thing else -10
Guesses for october top 10?

Fable 3
Medal of Honor
Halo Reach
Fallout: New Vegas
NBA 2k11
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Dead Rising 2
Madden NFL 11
NBA Jam
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

szaromir

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

Fable 3
Medal of Honor
Halo Reach
NBA 2k11
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Dead Rising 2
Madden NFL 11
NBA Jam
Fallout 3 had very strong legs, I suspect NV might be more popular this time than Fable

Redbeard

Banned
[Nintex] said:

Kinect train? :lol

Move did pretty well selling 300k, given the smaller userbase of PS3s in the US. I would expect Kinect to probably do around 600k if it's going to be similarly successful, it'll need to do close to 1 million in November if it wants to meet Microsoft's lofty sales goals.

And Kinect certainly isn't going to push system sales. Xbox will get the same November bump that everyone else gets.

WillyFive

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Medal of Honor
Fable 3
Halo Reach
NBA 2k11
Dead Rising 2
Madden NFL 11
Kirby's Epic Yarn
NBA Jam

This seems more likely to me.

jedimike

Redbeard said:
And Kinect certainly isn't going to push system sales. Xbox will get the same November bump that everyone else gets.

Or perhaps the Kinect will be the thing that continues to give MS increases YoY, while Nintendo and Sony continue to drop. :eek:

szaromir said:
Fallout 3 had very strong legs, I suspect NV might be more popular this time than Fable

Well with the new NPD, it'll be three platforms worth of numbers compared to one, so I think you'll be right.

dolemite

Redbeard said:

Move did pretty well selling 300k, given the smaller userbase of PS3s in the US. I would expect Kinect to probably do around 600k if it's going to be similarly successful, it'll need to do close to 1 million in November if it wants to meet Microsoft's lofty sales goals.

Move bumped the PS3 sales (it's up in weekly sales compared to the previous month), why wouldn't Kinect do the same to the Xbox.

jvm

Gamasutra.
dolemite said:
Move bumped the PS3 sales (it's up in weekly sales compared to the previous month), why wouldn't Kinect do the same to the Xbox.
Didn't the PS3's low-end system get a HDD upgrade? I don't know that that's enough to explain the bump in sales, but it's something other than Move that could a tiny number of sales. Also, Move promotions are apparently common on American television (esp. during sports?) and that could also help, even if people don't buy Move itself...

Edit: Finishing up article. Zoo-wee, mama.

Mindlog

Redbeard said:

bGAF
Anal yzing your world, so you don't have to.

back to GAF
Looking forawrd to the article :}

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Redbeard said:

It will, even if it's only due to the sheer force of the marketing. But I don't expect the effect to last past the holidays. I think the word of mouth is going to be toxic to Kinect's long term prospects.

I think word of mouth is going to drive kinect i think to an extent its driving it now, when you get it in front of more people they'll be wanting to tell their friends and family about the neat new gift. The truth about experiences such as Move and Kinect and Wii is people are more forgiving, they expect a few blips, as long as the fun outweighs those few blips by alot.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The real importance of that 300k is not in the number, but the original source.

******** "estimated" 300k for Move in US, 3-4 weeks ago. Which gives two options.

1) their guesses are as accurate as the rest of industry sources
2) everyone has been quoting their number effectively treating ******** as a reliable source

I am actually not sure which is worse, to be honest.

Chrange

Banned
Fafalada said:

******** "estimated" 300k for Move in US, 3-4 weeks ago. Which gives two options.

2) everyone has been quoting their number effectively treating ******** as a reliable source

Was VG the actual source of those numbers or did they pull their ritual 'adjust to whatever people believe' magic?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Michael Pachter estimated 300K Move sales in his notes on Friday morning. I believe that is where Jim Reilly is getting his figures for the IGN story. Is that what's being questioned here?

Road

I think VGC estimated 300k for worldwide sales a couple of weeks ago. I don't think Pachter made his comment based on that. If he has access to full accessory/hardware/software sales from NPD, he may have easily added the sales of the different SKUs containing the Move controller to reach the 300k figure.

dolemite

Pachter gets the entire NPD numbers set, he even bitched about how expensive it is:lol
He doesn't have the freedom to release the exact numbers, hence the vague 300k-ish number.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Road said:
I think VGC estimated 300k for worldwide sales a couple of weeks ago. I don't think Pachter made his comment based on that. If he has access to full accessory/hardware/software sales from NPD, he may have easily added the sales of the different SKUs containing the Move controller to reach the 300k figure.
Michael doesn't subscribe to accessory data from NPD.

Road

jvm said:
Michael doesn't subscribe to accessory data from NPD.
Well, then the best figure we have is:

"PlayStation Move is performing extremely well at retail[...]"
Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.

=P

dolemite

Road said:

=P
Didn't Sony say the same thing about PSP Go not too long ago?

Fafalada said:

An estimate from 3-4 weeks ago would have been for a week's sales, the 300K is the number for the whole month. Don't see any relevance.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fafalada said:

Their numbers are bannable.

I don't know why everyone in this thread has taken advantage of NPD's recent change of heart to think that it's suddenly okay to start posting Chartz numbers, even under the guise of comparing them.

I hope everyone else would be sensible and not pursue further discussions on DA CHARTZ.

dolemite said:
Road said:

=P
Didn't Sony say the same thing about PSP Go not too long ago?

Move am bomba total confirmed!

quickwhips

I've been thinking about something with Kenetic and Move sales. The first months won't be telling of how the product will do(the hardcore will be buying them most) Most casual won't jump on to a few months after the product has been out and word of mouth spreads. Didn't the wii sell better after a few months? Chirstmas will be telling if these products will sell well but even then you expect the numbers to be high.

quickwhips said:
I've been thinking about something with Kenetic and Move sales. The first months won't be telling of how the product will do(the hardcore will be buying them most) Most casual won't jump on to a few months after the product has been out and word of mouth spreads. Didn't the wii sell better after a few months? Chirstmas will be telling if these products will sell well but even then you expect the numbers to be high.

Wii sold so well because it offered an experience the public had never been exposed to before. Kinect and Move only offer a more refined one minus the killer app software Nintendo released like Wii sports and Wii Fit. To casuals it will be more of the same, been there, done that type of deal. Sony and Microsoft came out with their competing technologies too late to cash in on it like they would have 1-2 years ago.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stumpokapow said:
Their numbers are bannable.

I don't know why everyone in this thread has taken advantage of NPD's recent change of heart to think that it's suddenly okay to start posting Chartz numbers, even under the guise of comparing them.

I hope everyone else would be sensible and not pursue further discussions on DA CHARTZ.
There's no telling where some of these numbers are coming from, which is the biggest downer about the NPD keeping their data closer to their chest now. Chartz is just the usual culprit. The fact that they're bannable is even more reason to make sure that people aren't inadvertently using them as a source.

onipex said:
Fixed for what I think it will be. Nintendo will still want to keep cost down. I think if the next xbox is 3 times what the 360 is , then Nintendo would release a system that is maybe 2 times what the 360 is.

Or if they want games to appear on it they will make it on par to what the competitors are doing. Even with PS3 in 3rd in NA it still gets ports of 3rd party titles due to the relative ease of porting. If there is another gulf between platforms next time around there won't be ports.

Top Bottom