• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

MrPing1000 said:
Isn't it extremely early for this? I guess the ps3 hasn't exactly followed the PS and PS2 formula so far.

Psychotext said:
Very early.
only about one year shorter than PS2 revision. PSX took 5 years later for PSOne

PSP only took 3 years for Silm (PSP-2000)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Psychotext said:
Very early.

On the other hand I'd be expecting to hear about a 360 slim any time now..and Sony may not want to lag Microsoft on that by a year, just because their launch lagged by a year. PS3 could look quite big and bulky for a year next to Wii and a slimmed down 360 if they did wait.

Redesigns also offer a chance for renewing interest or momentum in a platform (along, say, with a price cut), and I don't think such renewed momemtum can come too early for Sony.

west

MrPing1000 said:
Isn't it extremely early for this? I guess the ps3 hasn't exactly followed the PS and PS2 formula so far.

It's overdue. The ps3 brand has been tarnished for a long time already. I just hope they can pull of a propper rebranding DS light style. "This is living" should be the first to go. :D

But I doubt we see it retail before the christmas season, even if a joint PSP4000 / PS3L "relaunch" could do wonders.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bad scenario time:

What if Sony convinced itself it didn't need to move on price this year because of a new model?

Or if they limited a cut to maybe $50 because of it?

I'd rather hope they wouldn't do that, but you never know :lol A redesign plus price cut plus big firmware update by year's end would be a very nice way to breathe some fresh air into the platform, alongside those yummy games of course. So if this is on the cards, let's hope they don't fudge it up by skirting the price issue..again..

Oni Jazar

Bojanglez said:
I wish Sony introduced a cloud service for game saves so I could switch between rooms and auto-load the save associated with my PSN account.

YESSSSS A THOUSAND TIMES YESSS.

I've thought about this before and every console should have game saves on the cloud.

I can't play my Demon Souls game in the bedroom because the save is locked. :(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Very intriguing. With a flat top, the redesigned PS3 would allow for a PS2 to sit easily on top of it. Then, if Sony could come up with a way to allow the PS2 to interact with the PS3 so that graphics are upscaled, the BC option would be simplified and more appealing aesthetically.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
gofreak said:
On the other hand I'd be expecting to hear about a 360 slim any time now..and Sony may not want to lag Microsoft on that by a year, just because their launch lagged by a year. PS3 could look quite big and bulky for a year next to Wii and a slimmed down 360 if they did wait.

Redesigns also offer a chance for renewing interest or momentum in a platform (along, say, with a price cut), and I don't think such renewed momemtum can come too early for Sony.

Why? There never was an xbox slim.

Yes Boss!

DieH@rd said:
They shuuld put this on a market ASAP.

PS3 Slim for 400$
old PS3 for 300$ [while supplies last 3-4 months]
and then on september/october put a pricedrop on Slim....

They will sell a shitton during hollydays.

Won't move at that price.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
What if Sony convinced itself it didn't need to move on price this year because of a new model?
Then they would have convinced themselves they didn't need a complete redesign either.
50$ off though - who knows :p

A redesign plus price cut plus big firmware update by year's end would be a very nice way to breathe some fresh air into the platform
Don't forget return of PS2 BC in some fashion :)

Rolf NB

typo said:
BELIEVE!

Because I don't :(

I still think it'd be a little early to announce a slim model... although it wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing.
They could do one shrink now and another in 2011. The materials and logistics overhead for such a huge machine must cost them tons of money I'm sure they'd rather have in the bank. So if they can shrink now, they should do it.

Especially if it brings back support for PS2 games.

JoJo13

Banned
This needs to be revealed at E3 if it's true. Why wouldn't it be revealed? E3 is in June; they could reveal it for September release. Same thing with the PSP Go!, right? That isn't releasing till later this year.

That redesign should have considerable cost savings. Hopefully a $299 price point isn't out of the question now.

If they can get software PS2 emulation in there, well, damn, that would be quite a repositioning of the PS3.

Sony seems to be doing a good job of taking their current existing hardware and injecting new life into them. PSP and PS3 should have a pretty good year.

Looks fairly legit to me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
neojubei said:
Why? There never was an xbox slim.

Everything about the 360 design process was about giving them the flexibility to do things with it that they couldn't do with Xbox. And I think that undoubtedly includes slimming it down at some point..which may be some point very soon.

DenogginizerOS said:
Very intriguing. With a flat top

It doesn't look flat though..there's still a curve to it. Although it looks to be a much shallower curve.

Fafalada said:
Don't forget return of PS2 BC in some fashion :)

Now we're really in la-la land :)

I don't see the relation at all between the slimming of the ps3 and the reinstatement of ps2 BC. I'd have figured if anything it'd make it less likely, since it leaves less room for adding things back in :p I doubt software BC (or at least, 'full' software bc) is gonna happen.

iceatcs

lowrider007 said:
And?

Would be a good excuse to fix alot of the faults in the current sku's if you ask me.
The problem is Microsoft haven't done before, and they love dump and move on.

Still not sure if they will still doing 360 when next xbox out.

JoJo13

Banned
gofreak said:
Now we're really in la-la land :)

I don't see the relation at all between the slimming of the ps3 and the reinstatement of ps2 BC. I'd have figured if anything it'd make it less likely, since it leaves less room for adding things back in :p I doubt software BC (or at least, 'full' software bc) is gonna happen.

Final death of the PS2 (happening this year based on sales trends) = software BC reintroduced into the PS3.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
gofreak said:
Everything about the 360 design process was about giving them the flexibility to do things with it that they couldn't do with Xbox. And I think that undoubtedly includes slimming it down at some point..which may be some point very soon.

I see. I always thought the 360 was engineered to be slimmer in the first place.

west

DenogginizerOS said:
Very intriguing. With a flat top, the redesigned PS3 would allow for a PS2 to sit easily on top of it. Then, if Sony could come up with a way to allow the PS2 to interact with the PS3 so that graphics are upscaled, the BC option would be simplified and more appealing aesthetically.

Only the top is not flat. Its rounded just like the existing model.

panda21

oh wow. run the full spectrum from clearly fake to OMG REAL :lol

SOOO HYPED

this + full ps2 bc (and downloads) + price drop + huge game announcements = PSpocalypse!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
neojubei said:
I see. I always thought the 360 was engineered to be slimmer in the first place.

Well it is, but they undoubtedly also had eyes on the longer term and new models when picking their components and working out their licensing agreements etc.

I'm sure not slimming the xbox was one of their regrets they won't wish to repeat with 360.

Zaptruder

Banned
Seriously... I don't know what the earliest posters in this thread were thinking.

"LOLLOLOL FAEK!"

Who are they trying to impress?

Turk

Actually it might take $250 to save their ass now. Maybe $199 ... and they should launch this new slim on 09-09-09.

DenogginizerOS

gofreak said:
It doesn't look flat though..there's still a curve to it. Although it looks to be a much shallower curve.

Yeah, I missed that earlier. Although, perhaps a docking station could sit on top of it. With the matte finish, concerns for scratching are reduced.

Man, I like this look. It reminds me of a MacBook Air.

Forsete

If its true I might get a 2nd PS3, just to have it connected to the capture card. Its a pain in the ass having to move the system between the entertainment centre and the PC whenever I want to capture anything.

Still hate the logo though!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Turk said:
Actually it might take $250 to save their ass now. Maybe $199 ... and they should launch this new slim on 09-09-09.

ffs, I'm so tired of this, $199, are you fucking kidding me seriously ?, you think Sony are going to sell the PS3 with built-in wireless, blu-ray etc for the price of two wi-fi adapters on the 360, it just isn't going to happen, well not for a looooong time at least.

Doc Evils

gofreak said:
Well it is, but they undoubtedly also had eyes on the longer term and new models when picking their components and working out their licensing agreements etc.

I'm sure not slimming the xbox was one of their regrets they won't wish to repeat with 360.

You mean just like every other microsoft product that gets turned into poorly engineered bloated crap?

yep, good chance I say!

panda21

1242300386.jpg

er isn't that still bigger than 12cm? it looks about 3/4cm shorter at most..

from that box picture it looks like its square, which i dont like so much.

lowrider007 said:
ffs, I'm so tired of this, $199, are you fucking kidding me seriously ?, you think Sony are going to sell the PS3 with built-in wireless, blu-ray etc for the price of two wi-fi adapters on the 360, it just isn't going to happen, well not for a looooong time at least.
sell the PS3 without bluray, without wifi . release a 300gb PS3 that can only download games and put all games on marketplace? :lol

or
ffs, I'm so tired of this, $199, are you fucking kidding me seriously ?, you think MS are going to sell the 360 with built-in HD graphics, HDMI, DVD, etc for $50 cheaper then the Wii?, it just isn't going to happen, well not for a looooong time at least.

j/k

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DenogginizerOS said:
Where is the bay for the SATA drive?

None of the pics show that side of the PS3 (or should I say PSThree?). If it indeed is there. It's possible that could be one of the tradeoffs..(i.e the hdd could be non-upgradeable, at least without opening it up, if the arrangement of the innards vs the shell didn't allow them to expose the bay to the user. Could explain why they stick a bigger HDD in there too, though I guess 120s are the same price for them now as 80s or 40s.).

Oni Jazar

Scottlarock said:
sell the PS3 without bluray, without wifi . release a 300gb PS3 that can only download games and put all games on marketplace? :lol

A system without an optical disk and without wifi? tsk tsk.

Rolf NB

Fafalada said:
There isn't one - aside for being a good PR opportunity.
There's no reason per se, but opportune circumstances maybe. Say, you always wanted to integrate some extra circuits onto a chip you make but didn't really make it in time for production. Now what if you're doing a process shrink on said chip, what better time could there possibly be to fix that shit up?

DenogginizerOS

gofreak said:
None of the pics show that side of the PS3 (or should I say PSThree?). If it indeed is there. It's possible that could be one of the tradeoffs..(i.e the hdd could be non-upgradeable, at least without opening it up, if the arrangement of the innards vs the shell didn't allow them to expose the bay to the user).
That sounds very Apple-ish. The clean, thin designs of the Apple products are definitely seen in this redesign (something I like). In the area of durability, the engineers at Sony have always impressed me and certainly are closer to Apple in that regard than MS. With a smart ad campaign emphasizing the redesigns aesthetics along with its multifunctionality, it could certainly make people think of the Apple iPhone/iPod Touch/MacBook Air commercials and appeal to those same consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom