• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AniHawk said:
Wikipedia says it was unveiled in September and released in November (I got mine in October. Thank you Blockbuster and the fact that you don't give a shit about street date!)

Hmms. Maybe E3 would be a bit early then based on historical precedence, if something like this were coming in Fall/September.

By the by, anyone know what's been happening on that Chinese board since the thread was removed?

Wollan

New PSP will be announced at E3.

New PS3 may be announced at Cologne, Germany (August 17th-19th).
Not that it necessarily needs a show.

Doc Evils

Wollan said:
New PSP will be announced at E3.

New PS3 may be announced at Cologne, Germany (August 17th-19th).
Not that it necessarily needs a show.

It makes sense to reveal it at its strongest market.

There's so many people that want a PS3 cheap in Europe, this would sky rocket sales in Europe.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Loudninja said:
How do you know this? >_>

It's his speculation. Makes reasonable sense.

Anyway, if this is true, we'll see more leakage going forward, even if it's not to be announced at E3. One would expect a trademark filing, a FCC filing for a new PS3 model, and perhaps even a patent filing for the case design, and they may arrive before an official announcement.

Nothing so far on those fronts however.. :)

DieH@rd

Banned
carnon said:

badboys2.JPG

Loudninja

gofreak said:

Anyway, if this is true, we'll see more leakage going forward, even if it's not to be announced at E3. One would expect a trademark filing, a FCC filing for a new PS3 model, and perhaps even a patent filing for the case design, and they may arrive before an official announcement.

Oh ok, looks pretty much confirmed now anyways. :p

gofreak said:

They changed the rules recently so that you can keep a FCC filing confidential till the release of the product because too many announcements were getting blown that way.

For trademarks they probably already had those logos registered from years back and just didn't use them till now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
carnon said:

:lol

By asking for the removal they only further corroborate it.

Thanks MainTek!

But can we be sure the commenter is actually someone from MainTek?

Evilore should let us know if he gets any contact from someone asking to take this thread down :p

PuppetMaster said:
They changed the rules recently so that you can keep a FCC filing confidential till the release of the product because too many announcements were getting blown that way.

For trademarks they probably already had those logos registered from years back and just didn't use them till now.

The filing still gets published. Just without photos and such. But labels and IDs are often published, and that's usually enough to tell what the product is (even if you don't know what it looks like etc.)

For trademarks..Sony currently doesn't have any 'ps3' mark that matches this one. At least not with the US office.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
RanoNL said:
If it's fake, it's a really good fake :D

3r4id.jpg

This looks way fake. The dimensions aren't at all in keeping with the one being leaked in the OP. The difference in width, for starters, is at least twice as large as it should be.

So whatever about the OP one..this looks to be a fake.

haowan

yeah, if i worked for maintek i would totally just post a comment on the article instead of using the company lawyer to telephone them and threaten them with legal action

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
haowan said:
yeah, if i worked for maintek i would totally just post a comment on the article instead of using the company lawyer to telephone them and threaten them with legal action

True, it would be a bit dumb not to contact them directly rather than publically in their comment system..

An explanation from the original board as to why that thread disappeared might help us out. But even then people could just be playing along now and building upon the rumour by making stuff up (including the mods/admins at that board), or presenting themselves as people (like, say, someone from Maintek).

Rolf NB

PuppetMaster said:
But the first PS2 Slim models did have an external power brick.

The PS3's power requirements are still pretty high, even compared to the original PS2. So I think it will be a while before they can integrate it back into the system while keeping the size small.
I've just measured a (not terribly recent) 80W notebook power brick at 5.5x11x3cm. The actual PS3 PSU is probably smaller, even for the 110W+ models (only seen pics with no proper scale, so a grain of salt please). I just don't see how it's worth the trouble to externalise such a s small volume.

This isn't as drastic a shrink as PStwo. This is more of a half-step. There's still a good bit of space there.

Thermally, if your PSU efficiency is ~85%, keeping the PSU in the same case adds 1/0.85~=18% of the thermal load to the system. If this figure is a big deal, you'd have to cool your PSU anyway if you externalized it, or risk high failure rates (hello, early Xbox 360 power bricks). Better keep it connected to the same cooling system you already have for the main device. One fan and one heatsink is better (cheaper, quieter, more reliable) than two fans and two heatsinks. You only lose by separating them.

If the 18% are not a big deal anymore (30W or thereabouts and below) ... well, your PSU block is probably tiny anyway at that point.

I think the far bigger reason for external power bricks, at least for a while, were certain regulations that mandated any device with exposed conductive metal parts would need to be properly grounded, so that a circuit breaker would trip on insulation failure before someone gets a chance to hurt themselves. You could avoid the requirement by keeping the "high" mains voltage out of the main device, in a separate brick encased all around in plastic with no visible metal parts.

Do keep in mind that if you add in-between steps, the sum complexity of the PSU increases. You can step down to 12V in an external brick, but for any part that can't operate on 12V, you need to step to different voltages again, so why spend the parts and space in the first place? The PS3 chips and memories need different "non-standard" "low" voltages to run, you need 5V for USB, probably 12V for the fan and possibly some other voltage for the optical drive.

This is no PC where certain specs have to be followed to maintain interoperability between mixed-and-matched parts. There is no enforced "border line" between "PSU" and "motherboard". They can do whatever to get the most efficient whole.

Acosta

Fun thread, I'm not going to try to predict if it´s fake or not, too many pictures for that. I'm not sold on it yet, however, if this were true I think this would be reserved for TGS more than E3, at least that's what I feel.

If it's a fake, someone has made a ton of effort on fabricating this story.

_RT_

I'll believe it.
More likely a pre-production model.

I could care less. My 60gig still shits on non-BC models.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It looks a bit cheap compared to the launch units, which is what happened when they shrunk the PSP. If they are real a will buy one just for my bedroom, PS3 rules for media playback.

I wish Sony introduced a cloud service for game saves so I could switch between rooms and auto-load the save associated with my PSN account.

west

I compensated for the angle in photoshop. Used the DS3 for reference....

Gives a better idea of the shape.

1lvsi.jpg

CTLance

Hey, that would be neat. A smaller case would be quite welcome. I still want BC back, but whatever. Not like I'm in a good enough economic situation to even consider a non-essential 200+€ purchase nowadays. Still, it'd be another point in PS3s favour.

Now if they actually made it less round and more stackable I'd be even more interested in it.
_RT_ said:
I could care less.
could_care_less_chart.jpg

fanboi

Banned
DieH@rd said:
I like how on first 2 pages everyone was telling "FAKE FAKE!" and now its complete oposite.

Classic GAF. :lol

First the trolls arrive all they see is "hey a thread about GOOD PS3 news? FAKE FAKE FKAE!"

Then arrive the peoples that discuss the matter, and compare.

Regular GAF!

DieH@rd said:
I like how on first 2 pages everyone was telling "FAKE FAKE!" and now its complete oposite.

Well thats generally what happens after people are shown compelling(ish) evidence. Not that big a deal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Based on your pic west, I would be indeed way off on my depth calc.

Based on that I'd put the depth at 23-24cm (not 19!), based on assumptions about the bd drive opening's width.

23lfhx0.jpg

Certainly that would seem a bit more realistic..

DieH@rd

Banned
According to wiki, original ps3 power suplly can manage up to 380W?! Newer 65nm versions have maximum of 280W.

west said:
Indeed

2 pages later....
:D They are blurry crappy pics, 3 weeks before e3. What did you espect? :D :D

1-D_FTW

If that's real, extended warranties are a mandatory purchase. Even a 65nm CPU and 45nm GPU would generate more heat than I'd want in that small space.

DieH@rd

Banned
gofreak said:
Based on your pic west, I would be indeed way off on my depth calc.

Based on that I'd put the depth at 23-24cm (not 19!), based on assumptions about the bd drive opening's width.

23lfhx0.jpg

Certainly that would seem a bit more realistic..

Move that purple box on the top. :)

Rolf NB

DieH@rd said:
According to wiki, original ps3 power suplly can manage up to 380W?! Newer 65nm versions have maximum of 280W.
Wiki is just being stupid. Rated input power on electronics devices never has meant what you think it means.

Case in point: according to the sticker on its side, my trusty old HEC Windmill 385W ATX power supply is rated for 230V and 5A=1150W. Awesome, huh?

DMeisterJ

Banned
DieH@rd said:

I would have thought it were fake in the beginning, but thinking now, the evidence is very similar to how Sony has done things previously. PSP2K was announced 2.5 years after launch (December 05, E3 07), and PSP 3K was leaked a few weeks before E3 last year by *gasp* a Chinese website, complete with blurry-cam. I'd be seriously surprised if PSthree didn't get announced at E3, and released by the end of the year. I mean, Sony is expecting to sell 30% more consoles this year, it has to be for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom