• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

west

gofreak said:
None of the pics show that side of the PS3 (or should I say PSThree?). If it indeed is there. It's possible that could be one of the tradeoffs..(i.e the hdd could be non-upgradeable, at least without opening it up, if the arrangement of the innards vs the shell didn't allow them to expose the bay to the user. Could explain why they stick a bigger HDD in there too, though I guess 120s are the same price for them now as 80s or 40s.).

I think its the opening where the hand is. Underneath the disk bay. Or is that something else? Looks SATA sized to me.

PS3_Slim_4.jpg

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
One other thought I had. If the PSP is in fact getting redesigned, and it has a touch-screen, it could possibly act as a touch input device for a PS3 that would allow a person to access music, movies, games, messaging; etc just like an iPod Touch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
west said:
I think its the opening where the hand is. Underneath the disk bay. Or is that something else? Looks SATA sized to me.

PS3_Slim_4.jpg

Exposed at the front? Although I'm not sure what else that could be. But it seems a bit strange if that's the front of the machine, to have the SATA opening there.

I guess better to have it there than not to have it exposed, though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Like someone said, I think they'll go Apple and go for having a better looking, slicker machine, and enclose the HDD... It'd make people angry, but the people who'd really care are people who already own the system anyway (Since upgrading to a slim would be a pain, if you had tons of video content from the PS Store.

DenogginizerOS said:
That sounds very Apple-ish. The clean, thin designs of the Apple products are definitely seen in this redesign (something I like). In the area of durability, the engineers at Sony have always impressed me and certainly are closer to Apple in that regard than MS. With a smart ad campaign emphasizing the redesigns aesthetics along with its multifunctionality, it could certainly make people think of the Apple iPhone/iPod Touch/MacBook Air commercials and appeal to those same consumers.
Totally. Similarly, the last few Apple hardware updates have first leaked from the export processing zones in China - by and large they've been accurate too.
Quietly optimistic about this!

Cruzader

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
One other thought I had. If the PSP is in fact getting redesigned, and it has a touch-screen, it could possibly act as a touch input device for a PS3 that would allow a person to access music, movies, games, messaging; etc just like an iPod Touch.
Remote Play with touch? me likee.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
panda21 said:
thats not the front is it? looks like the bottom at the back or something

Oh, is that the back? Well that would make a bit more sense then.

Not sure if someone wants to see if that opening is SATA sized based on the USB width... (?)

gofreak said:

Not sure if someone wants to see if that opening is SATA sized based on the USB width... (?)
USBs at the back would be so much handier for PlayTV...

panda21

gofreak said:

oh wait sorry just being dumb, that probably is the front!

makes sense because on the current one the usb slots are on the front left at the bottom

DenogginizerOS

I hate to say it but I think this almost assuredly will keep the price at $400. I am guessing they will sell the old models that are on the market off at a reduced price and will emphasize that this new model has a 120GB HDD, all the features of the PS3 60GB (including PS2 BC), and new connectivity options to the new PSP (a hunch), thus rationalizing the price staying the same. This again follows the trend with Apple and their new product releases and will also keep the Sony books a little further away from financial collapse.

west

gofreak said:
Exposed at the front?

The final model will propably have some plastic cap over that opening like the memory stick readers, hiding it and giving it the propped form factor. It propably clips onto the smaller hole. You do not have to look at a big opening there :p

We have seen 2 peaces of maybe 30 parts that goes into this. :D

Edit: The Disk slot might even be in some part we have not seen yet, like the middle part.

iceatcs

gofreak said:
Exposed at the front? Although I'm not sure what else that could be. But it seems a bit strange if that's the front of the machine, to have the SATA opening there.

I guess better to have it there than not to have it exposed, though.
It more likely to have tray with cover just like PS3 atm.

DMeisterJ

Banned
No, that pic is the front, you can see the LEDs for when it's accessing the HDD and when Wi-Fi is on, and the 2 USB ports are still there. As someone said, it'd likely have a cover on the front.

Yes Boss!

DenogginizerOS said:
I hate to say it but I think this almost assuredly will keep the price at $400. I am guessing they will sell the old models that are on the market off at a reduced price and will emphasize that this new model has a 120GB HDD, all the features of the PS3 60GB (including PS2 BC), and new connectivity options to the new PSP (a hunch), thus rationalizing the price staying the same. This again follows the trend with Apple and their new product releases and will also keep the Sony books a little further away from financial collapse.

Then, they will stay firmly in third place. It has to be $300 or lower for a shot at MS.

DrXym

DenogginizerOS said:

More likely they'll drop the price on the old models, or they'll throw in a bunch of goodies with the old models and the slim will sit at the upper price tag. Once the old models are gone, and just in time for christmas you'll see a cheaper slim appear.

It's a repeat of the way they introduced the 40 & 80Gb models in Europe - introduce a price difference and some trinkets to justify the disparity. Each model ends up selling to different audiences.

DenogginizerOS

PS3_Slim_2.jpg

This picture is actually the most convincing piece of evidence to me.

Down in the lower left, where it says 120GB/??. Anyone know that that is next to the HDD size next to "120GB". Looks like "GO".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DenogginizerOS said:
PS3_Slim_2.jpg

Down in the lower left, where it says 120GB/??. Anyone know that that is next to the HDD size next to "120GB". Looks like "GO".

I think that's just the french of GB that has to be on NA packaging now because of Canada...I think..?

hirokazu

DenogginizerOS said:
PS3_Slim_2.jpg

This picture is actually the most convincing to me.

Admittedly, the box does look pretty convincing, but I still think it's fake.

It says 120GB/GO, they have that on the PS3 boxes used in Europe or some place, IIRC. But actually, a slim PS3 + simultaneous price drop explains why Sony is so adamant not to drop price yet, despite that decision costing them quite a bit in market share in the meantime.

Sapiens

DenogginizerOS said:
PS3_Slim_2.jpg

'GO' is just the french term for GB.

Anyways....looks real to me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No_Style said:
Why would the PS3 slim box not show off the slim form factor? Stupid if that is a real box.

Well, the box itself is probably smaller. Which should look smaller on a shelf.

There's possibly another image on the side with a 'standing up' shot.

What's curious to me about the box is that the image of the ps3 overlaps onto the top flap for no apparent reason. Which seems slightly sloppy, maybe.

DenogginizerOS

No_Style said:
Why would the PS3 slim box not show off the slim form factor? Stupid if that is a real box.
We're still talking about Sony here. Even if they hit a homerun with this, it doesn't mean they are immune to tripping over their own feet while doing the homerun trot. :lol

DrXym

DenogginizerOS said:
PS3_Slim_2.jpg

Gb/Go

Gigabyte / Gigaoctet. The French for unfathomable reasons have don't like using common computer terminology such as byte, pixel etc. even though they're universally understood and often arbitrary and have invented their own words.

iceatcs

Hard to tell, if that dualshock 3 is bad photoshopped on the box or just photo of angle view cos it looks little off from the rest on the box.

No_Style

gofreak said:
Well, the box itself is probably smaller. Which should look smaller on a shelf.

There's possibly another image on the side with a 'standing up' shot.

It's a poor decision in my opinion. You're trying to promote the slim nature of the new console and trying to draw attention to the new design, so it should be on the front like this:

pstwo.jpg

It seems very non-Sony to me.

acm2000

looks fake

but i hope its not, cause i didnt think they could make the ps3 uglier than it was, but this certainly is (although at least its not glossy)

Wollan

It's not going to be that slim. I'm guessing 2/3 the height (of the original).
It's shorter in width as well seemingly. Depth seems about the same.

DenogginizerOS

gofreak said:
What's curious to me about the box is that the image of the ps3 overlaps onto the top flap for no apparent reason. Which seems slightly sloppy, maybe.
Agreed. However, the way it is assymetrically positioned on the front with its edge going over the side a little makes me think of a thin piece of paper or a folder that has come to rest after being tossed on a table. It gives me a sense that this thing is light, and not needing to be grounded at all four corners to be safe from falling on a toddler below.

hirokazu

No_Style said:
It's a poor decision in my opinion. You're trying to promote the slim nature of the new console and trying to draw attention to the new design, so it should be on the front like this:

pstwo.jpg

It seems very non-Sony to me.
Maybe it's actually still fat, just smaller area when laid horizontal - hence the overhead image. :p

But anyway, the PStwo was stunningly smaller and looked pretty good. This thing, if real, not so much. Not at first, anyway. I'll take my glossy, chrome trimmed, (big, heavy, power-hungry) PS3 over this...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wollan said:
It's not going to be that slim. I'm guessing 2/3 the height.

Yeah, if my calcs were right, then the width and depth dimensions are reasonably modestly reduced.

Which would suggest height (slimness) may also be fairly modestly changed. But I have hope it'll be notably slimmer, maybe slightly more slim than the width/depth reductions suggest.

Dead Man

As long as it still had an expandable HDD, or came with at least 250gb, I would buy one so fast!!! I'm just used to a larger HDD in mine now.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well if you look at the side part of the packaging it looks very wide, wider than my current PS3 box which is strange, you compare it to the width of the box, the proportions don't seem to add up compared to older PS3/PS2 packaging.

Midas

Wollan said:
It's not going to be that slim. I'm guessing 2/3 the height (of the original).
It's shorter in width as well seemingly. Depth seems about the same.

This. No reason to show the "slim" on the box.

DrXym said:
Gb/Go

Gigabyte / Gigaoctet. The French for unfathomable reasons have don't like using common computer terminology such as byte, pixel etc. even though they're universally understood and often arbitrary and have invented their own words.

English + French on the same box = destined for Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom