• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

kyo2004

Here's a draft schedule for Q4 2017

SNES Classic Game Club
October 1 - 15: Super Mario World
Easy Goal: Beat the game
Tougher Goal: 96 Exits
Toughest Goal: Memory Overflow End-Game Warp

October 16 - 31: Super Punch-Out!!
Easy Goal: Beat Mr. Sandman
Tougher Goal: Beat the Game
Toughest Goal: Beat the Game without Save States and all Quick Kills

November 1 - 15: Star Fox
Easy Goal: Beat the Game, Easy
Tougher Goal: Beat the Game, Medium
Toughest Goal: Beat the Game, Hard

November 16-23: F-Zero
Easy Goal: Beat through the end of King League
Harder Goal: Beat all leagues in Master Difficulty

November 27-30: Kirby's Dream Course
Easy Goal: Beat through the end of Dedede in Course 8
Harder Goal: Beat the extra courses

December 1-31: Earthbound
Goal: Beat the game
Bonus Goal: Get all of the photos
Bonus Goal: Use the stairs glitch to beat the game fast
Finish early? Double back to one of the unfinished games (F-Zero Master difficulty is not easy.)

Feedback?

My idea was 2 weeks per game, mix up the genres a bit, give the RPGs a month, one RPG per quarter, take some of the skill based games that most people will not complete and probably won't have a lot of conversation due and reduce them to one week -- should be possible to get through all the games in one year. If the SNES Classic ends up hackable, I'll fill the empty weeks at the end of the year with games to add to the SNES Classic (games that are cheap to buy on VC or by cart to encourage people to actually own the games they're playing)?

Is there any problem to join the club for late owners?... xD... I'm assuming my SNES Classic will come very very late (imagining late October)...

mfw people slept on the Amazon UK link that was up for over an hour and got their initial walmart orders cancelled back in july

Qyh0Q1X.gif

loving those dynamic borders

So I just found out this thing only does 720p, does emulation make the picture better at 1080p or 4k? I know for 3d games it does, but not sure on 2d which is what I'll be playing mainly.

The SNES outputs a 224p image with the remaining 16 lines being black (8 top and 8 bot) to make 240p. That scales perfectly to 720p (9x the resolution) and 2160p (4ktv, 81x the resolution). Meanwhile, 1080p is an imperfect integer (20.25x the resolution). That means 1080p is the worst display to use as each pixel of the SNES has to take up 20.25 pixels, and since you can't have a quarter pixel, it creates crawl on the screen. Especially noticable when you scroll the screen.

That said, using either 4:3 or CRT will introduce crawl as well no matter what resolution you use. CRT will be less noticable because of the scanlines and other filter elements.

Here's a draft schedule for Q4 2017

SNES Classic Game Club
October 1 - 15: Super Mario World
Easy Goal: Beat the game
Tougher Goal: 96 Exits
Toughest Goal: Memory Overflow End-Game Warp

October 16 - 31: Super Punch-Out!!
Easy Goal: Beat Mr. Sandman
Tougher Goal: Beat the Game
Toughest Goal: Beat the Game without Save States and all Quick Kills

November 1 - 15: Star Fox
Easy Goal: Beat the Game, Easy
Tougher Goal: Beat the Game, Medium
Toughest Goal: Beat the Game, Hard

November 16-23: F-Zero
Easy Goal: Beat through the end of King League
Harder Goal: Beat all leagues in Master Difficulty

November 27-30: Kirby's Dream Course
Easy Goal: Beat through the end of Dedede in Course 8
Harder Goal: Beat the extra courses

December 1-31: Earthbound
Goal: Beat the game
Bonus Goal: Get all of the photos
Bonus Goal: Use the stairs glitch to beat the game fast
Finish early? Double back to one of the unfinished games (F-Zero Master difficulty is not easy.)

Feedback?

My idea was 2 weeks per game, mix up the genres a bit, give the RPGs a month, one RPG per quarter, take some of the skill based games that most people will not complete and probably won't have a lot of conversation due and reduce them to one week -- should be possible to get through all the games in one year. If the SNES Classic ends up hackable, I'll fill the empty weeks at the end of the year with games to add to the SNES Classic (games that are cheap to buy on VC or by cart to encourage people to actually own the games they're playing)?
Wow this sounds fun! I actually want to try this!

Here's a draft schedule for Q4 2017 <snip>

Ugh, that is an awesome idea. I'm envious of y'all with time to devote to something like this. I'ma play my ass off, and I've already 100%ed half these games, and it's STILL going to take me like 3 months just to get through Mario, let alone something like FF3 or Earthbound. I'll do my best, but we need like a "parenthood" tier where it's just "congratulations, you successfully launched the game during this time period."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ugh, that is an awesome idea. I'm envious of y'all with time to devote to something like this. I'ma play my ass off, and I've already 100%ed half these games, and it's STILL going to take me like 3 months just to get through Mario, let alone something like FF3 or Earthbound. I'll do my best, but we need like a "parenthood" tier where it's just "congratulations, you successfully launched the game during this time period."

Hahah. Well the good news is I'll keep running the scraper forever, so you can get there in the end! And even a few stamps is a good achievement! Don't feel like you need to keep up with our schedule to be able to earn your stamps!

MrMephistoX

Curious how modded/ if fam translated roms will work...I really wanna try Rockman and Forte / Megaman and Bass along with BS Zelda translations.

Live Alive is also awesome...

Rizific

what other options do we have for wireless controllers besides the hori one? that one looks ridiculous and i dont think i need (or want) all that extra jazz on it.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The SNES outputs a 224p image with the remaining 16 lines being black (8 top and 8 bot) to make 240p. That scales perfectly to 720p (9x the resolution) and 2160p (4ktv, 81x the resolution). Meanwhile, 1080p is an imperfect integer (20.25x the resolution). That means 1080p is the worst display to use as each pixel of the SNES has to take up 20.25 pixels, and since you can't have a quarter pixel, it creates crawl on the screen. Especially noticable when you scroll the screen.

That said, using either 4:3 or CRT will introduce crawl as well no matter what resolution you use. CRT will be less noticable because of the scanlines and other filter elements.

You're technically correct but that's ignoring that most 720p TVs aren't really 720p TVs, but very often are actually 1366x768p instead of 1280x720p, and upscale 720p content accordingly.

what other options do we have for wireless controllers besides the hori one? that one looks ridiculous and i dont think i need (or want) all that extra jazz on it.

8bitdo controllers have wireless option. They are super common in the Pi community and pretty highly regarded.

Curious how modded/ if fam translated roms will work...I really wanna try Rockman and Forte / Megaman and Bass along with BS Zelda translations.

Live Alive is also awesome...

The official emulator is limited to special chips it supports... so as long as the game uses no special chips, SA-1, SuperFX, or DSP(x) chips it should be fine. With a few exceptions... Translated games that only tested on themselves on zsnes back in the day and not real hardware (Sailor Moon ~ Another Story~ for example) probably won't work because they relied on it's incorrect handling of vblank.

You're technically correct but that's ignoring that most 720p TVs aren't really 720p TVs, but very often are actually 1366x768p instead of 1280x720p, and upscale 720p content accordingly.

Too true, in that case they will also be crap and your best bet will be a 4k TV with overscan turned off :)

MrMephistoX

8bitdo controllers have wireless option. They are super common in the Pi community and pretty highly regarded.

The official emulator is limited to special chips it supports... so as long as the game uses no special chips, SA-1, SuperFX, or DSP(x) chips it should be fine. With a few exceptions... Translated games that only tested on themselves on zsnes back in the day and not real hardware (Sailor Moon ~ Another Story~ for example) probably won't work because they relied on it's incorrect handling of vblank.

Most of them worked on PS3 and psp but I suppose that’s due to Zsnes?

Boke1879

The game clue sounds like a damn good idea and I'm with it. Don't know if i'll be able to keep up with all the games. Especially with all the releases coming out. But I'll try and it'll be fun to talk about the games and have central place to ask for help.

My local store is pretending I never pre ordered and I have a big test at 8AM Friday :( feels bad!

Love how the borders look on this thing. Screen filters look top-notch too.

Most of them worked on PS3 and psp but I suppose that's due to Zsnes?

Those emulators are based on SNES9x, but which version matters. SNES9x has much higher support for custom chips but I'm not sure about games like Sailor Moon AS. Older versions might work, but newer versions likely didn't.

I don't have the list handy on the games you mentioned, but I do know MOST fan translations should work fine. Seiken Densetsu 3, Final Fantasy 5, Treasure of Rudra, etc should all work beautifully.

plug and play with the snes classic? or how would i get it to work with the classic?

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes-classic/

Same connector, it should be completely compatible and if not, they are usually good at releasing firmware updates.

Retro Receiver Compatibility

All 8Bitdo controllers & arcaded sticks
PS3, PS4
Wii Mote, Wii U Pro

So the connector also supports PS3 and 4 controllers as well for NES or SNES classic.

psyfi

Banned
I haven't been paying attention to the news on this because I figured there's no chance I'd scoop one... Am I right and should I even bother trying without a pre-order?

I haven't been paying attention to the news on this because I figured there's no chance I'd scoop one... Am I right and should I even bother trying without a pre-order?

From what we've heard so far, the stocks on opening day are going to be much higher. Nintendo has also confirmed that they will be producing it for longer, and even have plans to manufacture more NES classics next summer. So if you're motivated you should be able to get one this week. If not, you may have to wait a few months.

psyfi

Banned
From what we've heard so far, the stocks on opening day are going to be much higher. Nintendo has also confirmed that they will be producing it for longer, and even have plans to manufacture more NES classics next summer. So if you're motivated you should be able to get one this week. If not, you may have to wait a few months.
Ah rad, that's good to hear. I'll call around tomorrow and see if any of the local shops will have stock. I really want to play Star Fox 2!

MrMephistoX

Those emulators are based on SNES9x, but which version matters. SNES9x has much higher support for custom chips but I'm not sure about games like Sailor Moon AS. Older versions might work, but newer versions likely didn't.

I don't have the list handy on the games you mentioned, but I do know MOST fan translations should work fine. Seiken Densetsu 3, Final Fantasy 5, Treasure of Rudra, etc should all work beautifully.

http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-nes-classic/

Same connector, it should be completely compatible and if not, they are usually good at releasing firmware updates.

So the connector also supports PS3 and 4 controllers as well for NES or SNES classic.

Sweet would love to further the conversation over PM.

DonMigs85

I'm guessing Retroarch will be ported over eventually so that'll handle games the default emulator can't. Do we have confirmation this thing uses the exact same SoC as the NES mini?

I hope they eventually make the hacking software for macOS, I want to put Stunt Race FX on there.

Wait... Is there an emulator/ROM equivalent to the Super GameBoy? Would it... be possible to hack the SNES Mini to play GameBoy games!?

I'm guessing Retroarch will be ported over eventually so that'll handle games the default emulator can't. Do we have confirmation this thing uses the exact same SoC as the NES mini?

Yes

Never managed to get an NES classic, so I never messed with it. If it got retroarch on it, definitely. That said, it'll likely have to use the older snes9x2005 I'd imagine, which wouldn't be as accurate.

I hope they eventually make the hacking software for macOS, I want to put Stunt Race FX on there.

Wait... Is there an emulator/ROM equivalent to the Super GameBoy? Would it... be possible to hack the SNES Mini to play GameBoy games!?

The Super Game Boy wasn’t just a simple rom, it contained a physical replica of the Game Boy hardware. So it can’t be run like a regular rom. You’re looking at installing another emulator entirely for Game Boy games.

The Super Game Boy wasn’t just a simple rom, it contained a physical replica of the Game Boy hardware. So it can’t be run like a regular rom. You’re looking at installing another emulator entirely for Game Boy games.

This. It's literally a gameboy without a screen and controls with a ROM chip that acts like a BIOS to interface the two pieces of hardware.

This. It's literally a gameboy without a screen and controls with a ROM chip that acts like a BIOS to interface the two pieces of hardware.

Holy shit that's incredible, I had no idea!! That is bonkers O:

Wait can you not play as Cammy in Street Fighter 2 turbo. I always mix those up
I think she was introduced in Super Street Fighter 2? Super Famicom Mini gets that game. I wish the other regions got it too instead of Turbo.

SSF2 has new characters, new stages and the Super Combo attacks, if I'm not mistaken. Loved playing that one in the arcades.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cool, so I finished writing the OT for the first SNES Classics Club thread (Super Mario World). We'll be playing October 1st - 15th, but I'll be posting a little early. I also finished the code for the robot to do the SNES Classics Passport stamps! I think it's going to be great! I'll try to figure out good goals and a schedule going forward, but I'm really happy with what I managed to do this evening. Hope you all participate.

Cool, so I finished writing the OT for the first SNES Classics Club thread (Super Mario World). We'll be playing October 1st - 15th, but I'll be posting a little early. I also finished the code for the robot to do the SNES Classics Passport stamps! I think it's going to be great! I'll try to figure out good goals and a schedule going forward, but I'm really happy with what I managed to do this evening. Hope you all participate.

You coding wizard you

Awesome. Looking forward to it!

Top Bottom