• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Definitely a good call. Them trouncing MS on price is why I went with Sony. Rather annoying to be charged for a camera peripheral I don't want.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well, it is strange to not have a game to showcase the new and improved Kinect. I consider myself a hardcore gamer but I also enjoy playing Kinect games w/ my cousins, wife and family.

I like some motion control games too but it's obvious that we are the minority when it comes to hardcore gamers as a whole.

Tellaerin

At present, Sony's abandonment of the Eye in favor of a lower priced PlayStation 4 seems to be paying off — the company claims to be boosting internal sales estimates and online retailers are reporting record breaking pre-sales — but will it be able to incentivize consumers and developers to adopt the device in the future? The odds are seemingly stacked against it, but perhaps Sony has a killer app waiting in the wings.

Good.

I'd rather see developers spend the bulk of their efforts coming up with compelling experiences and game mechanics built around a traditional control mechanism. Once the initial novelty wears off, there's nothing to recommend these alternate input devices - playing games with them is like trying to drive a car wearing boxing gloves and clown shoes. This is not a positive.

News Bot

Banned
One part of me thinks things like the Eye and Kinect should only really be add-ons. The functionality should always be optional.

The other half is a bit drunk.

xaosslug

ibr2m80x2dPFjf.gif

Kyon

Banned
I don't think you can say that. Kinect 1 was obviously rushed and chopped up (removal of chip) and thus the software suffered, plus when everyone doesn't have one it's more of a risk to actually spend money developing for it. Now that everyone is required to have one and have it plugged in it's less of a risk to take a shot at something awesome. Not to mention it's much more powerful.

You may be right, but I don't think we can know that yet.

yes i can. Do you not remember the Wii?

That thing was bought by many millions and literally would sit there in houses collecting dust until a few 1st party nintendo games came along as well as Just Dance and sell MILLIONS of software. After that it dropped off the damn map. The world is not here for these gimmicks anymore. Also Kinect didnt even sell much software at all. So those hardware sales really didnt mean much since no one bought the software to show interest. You think after all these failed attempts that Kinect 2 will somehow make it because its forced on people?

Bgamer90

Banned
Good.

I'd rather see developers spend the bulk of their efforts coming up with compelling experiences and game mechanics built around a traditional control mechanism.

I'm interested in that ON TOP of camera/voice features -- having all of it together.

The features being put into Dead Rising 3 (like having Zombies reply to your screams/sounds) sound neat.

Crisco

Banned
New tech? It's a fucking web cam, and it was a great decision on their part not to bundle it. Adoption of the core system is way more important than adoption of an accessory. They can bundle it later in a pricier SKU after there is actual software that justifies the expense. Maybe if all PS4 shooters allowed use of the Move, and people using Move were dominating DS4 players, it would convince people to adopt it.

Also, how did they go from $499 to $399 by removing what is now only a $60 add on. Was there supposed to be a bundled Move controller too or something? Does not compute.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm interested in that ON TOP of camera/voice features -- having all of it together.

The features being put into Dead Rising 3 (like having Zombies reply to your screams/sounds) sound neat.
And it was neat in Manhunt without a Kinect a decade ago.

Marleyman

Banned
I think they should have shown some casual stuff though.

If they did that they would have been RIPPED APART by the hardcore crowd; they had no choice.

Juancho9 said:
It was good they had a better games showing than Sony, but because their system has such a wide range of features, their presentations and messaging have been so fragmented. An all in one device should be showing everything all at once to really push that "it does everything" marketing effort.

They showed everything at the intial reveal; they said E3 was about games and it did exactly that. They really had no choice.

Remember when Microsoft released a SKU without a hard drive and it haunted them for the rest of the generation? "Why would I need a hard drive, games come on discs!"

It's great to give people choices, huh.

The reason Kinect/Move failed to offer compelling experiences is because they were optional accessories introduced late in the consoles' life-cycles.

Requiring Kinect is the same as requiring an online connection. It creates a MUCH STRONGER push for change. There is absolutely a tangible effect, and it's stupid to say otherwise.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Very happy they did this. Both for the price and because I hate motion controls and voice commands and with the Kinect being packed in every console that stuff will get shoe horned into a lot of games like waggle did into Wii games.

Leave it as an option for people who want to play Dance Central and other motion control games to pick up on their own.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
Yeah this does suck. Features like button config switching when controllers are passed wont be the norm.

I was also hoping that RE4, 5 and 6 would get rereleased on ps4 using Wii style aiming. The wii version was the best version.

Kyon

Banned
Not to mention that if the developer wanted to do that type of feature on PS4 they could always use the PS4 headset.

didnt that one tom clancy game do all this too? Like Manhunt? With the headset?

Idk how a useless camera should be needed to use simple voice commands

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
yes i can. Do you not remember the Wii?

That thing was bought by many millions and literally would sit there in houses collecting dust until a few 1st party nintendo games came along as well as Just Dance and sell MILLIONS of software. After that it dropped off the damn map. The world is not here for these gimmicks anymore. Also Kinect didnt even sell much software at all. So those hardware sales really didnt mean much since no one bought the software to show interest. You think after all these failed attempts that Kinect 2 will somehow make it because its forced on people?

The wii is not that similar. Plus you missed the part of the Kinect 2 hardware actually being worth a damn this time. Also the fact that Kinect 2 should be able to compliment regular controller gaming more easily. There are a variety of things that could happen this gen that wasn't possible last gen, you can't just say "the Wii U failed, Kinect 1 didn't have that great of games, Kinect 2 sucks." We have no idea what the ecosystem will be like when everyone has a Kinect 2, it's far more powerful, and devs actually develop for it.

Honestly I can't really say either, but assuming you know the outcome is not right.

LAA

Awesome decision. Why IGN made it sound negative is beyond me.
I may get the camera at some point, but to me, it only really sounds like an optional extra. Only use I liked the sound of was switching splitscreen automatically based on positions, havent seen much other uses in most games that could be applied.

Shai-Tan

Banned
In threads like this everyone always equates motion controls with waggle type games but I thought the shooters that used it on PS3 were interesting and had unrealized potential. I was looking forward to the possibilities like aim mode being controlled or assisted by move functionality on the light bar in some games. Any evolution in that type of control and closer to mouse accuracy is closed off by not including a camera which is one legitimate reason to feel negatively about that decision.

lolmark

For some reason, I always bought the PS camera and never used any of them. Probably played Eye of Judgement for an hour.

I definitely appreciate the Sony didn't pack it in with the system, and that it's a fairly reasonable price.

Raymo

Can someone please answer why the new Kinect will be game changing and bring more to the table than the first? I mean yeah it's more accurate but was that ever the real problem? The wiimote+ and Playstation Move both brought greater accuracy to the table, but game innovation didn't occur with increased accuracy.

And news flash, any RGB camera can be used to detect a person's pulse. It's not some special hardware the Kinect has...it's just a pre-existing algorithm that Microsoft is using.

The wii is not that similar. Plus you missed the part of the Kinect 2 hardware actually being worth a damn this time. Also the fact that Kinect 2 should be able to compliment regular controller gaming more easily. There are a variety of things that could happen this gen that wasn't possible last gen, you can't just say "the Wii U failed, Kinect 1 didn't have that great of games, Kinect 2 sucks." We have no idea what the ecosystem will be like when everyone has a Kinect 2, it's far more powerful, and devs actually develop for it.

Honestly I can't really say either, but assuming you know the outcome is not right.

We're going on a decade of having two screens for nintendo handhelds and now consoles. How many games can you name that used the second display or bottom screen in a genuinely new and interesting way for new gameplay, instead of just throwing interface down onto it? Is it more than 10? How about 20? In a DECADE?

Occasionally a gimmick can improve games, for a while, but it'll fade. Camera bullshits been proven time and again to be utterly useless. Hell, microsoft didn't even show their kinect game at E3.

border

The reason Kinect/Move failed to offer compelling experiences is because they were optional accessories introduced late in the consoles' life-cycles.

Or because they're just ultimately not that good at creating long-lasting, compelling experiences. Kinect had a huge install base and developers just weren't that interested in it.

Reallink

It's funny reading the thread about Last of Us being too hard cause a lot of people (understandably) suck at Dual Shitalog aiming schemes, and knowing that a stereo tracked Move that "just works" (without finicky calibration or drift) could probably go a long way in improving their experiences. It's a shame we'll never see meaningful support as we all know how after market accessories work out.

Freki

And that's the reason most of the people are happy that the camera doesn't come with the PS4.
People, including myself, are reluctant to spend 100$ on "maybe", "possibly" or "might"...

StevieP

Banned
The issue I see with all this camera shit is the argument of

"Well if the camera is included, then devs can use it to its fullest extent to make new gameplay!"

You mean like how despite the past decade of nintendo handhelds having two screens, there's very very little use for both? Same with the WiiU Gamepad? Throw a fucking map on there, or something. How about the 3ds' terrible 3D effects that drive up the cost of the system? How about the Wiis motion controls being used for 95% bullshit waggle, even from Nintendo games? Shouldnt that have been a path to amazing new game design ideas?

Forcing dumb peripheral gimmicks onto people under the guise of "BUT GAMES MIGHT TAKE SO MUCH ADVANTAGE" is ridiculous.

95 percent bullshit waggle? 2 screens not useful? Dumb peripheral gimmicks? This sounds more like a tirade against Nintendo, not a discussion of Sony's camera. I will say this, however: Sony's move and Wii remote infrared are what allowed me to play fps, tps, and RTS games on consoles this generation (and light gun stuff too obviously) - dual analog is drastically inferior for all of these genres. It also expanded the market greatly by lighting up many imaginations and allowing accessible gameplay (there is nothing "bullshit waggle" about playing a bowling game in the same way you bowl in real life with family members who don't normally game).

Do you think I saw any value in kinect? No, not really. The delay sucked. But lots of people didn't care, and it expanded the market enough to gain a much improved sequel.

This "la la la fingers in my ears I don't need bullshit gimmicks" stuff is extremely short sighted and reeks of someone who wants a more insular hobby. That simply isn't a healthy way of looking at things unless you like the idea of a market contraction/correction - which is already happening btw. We shouldn't want gaming to become more like comic books, and that's the real implication of more hardcore-focused platforms that forego things that may or may not have helped with mass market penetration. This camera may not have lit anything on fire, but by not making it integral to the console we will simply never know.

Remember when Microsoft released a SKU without a hard drive and it haunted them for the rest of the generation? "Why would I need a hard drive, games come on discs!"

It's great to give people choices, huh.

Requiring Kinect is the same as requiring an online connection. It creates a MUCH STRONGER push for change. There is absolutely a tangible effect, and it's stupid to say otherwise.

You're comparing a camera device, which has already overstayed its welcome, with something that would actually benefit development.

Casuals don't want the same gimmicks, that's why they're casual, they want something new and shiney. No one cared that the Move was more responsive than the Wii remote, because they'd already seen it. They won't care the new Kinect is better, because they've experienced it.

majik13

iirc they havent updates the move controller. Does anyone know if the ps3 eye/move controller will work on ps4, for supported games?

And what new features does the ps4 eye have anyway? is it more like kinect a little bit now?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Can't someone please answer why the new Kinect will be game changing and bring more to the table than the first? I mean yeah it's more accurate but was that ever the real problem? The wiimote+ and Playstation Move both brought greater accuracy to the table, but game innovation didn't occur with increased accuracy.

And news flash, any RGB camera can be used to detect a person's pulse. It's not some special hardware the Kinect has...it's just a pre-existing algorithm that Microsoft is using.

The PS Move has some obvious deficiencies in hardcore (3d) games like input lag and use of bounding box to turn which is horribly inefficient. With the light bar on the DS4 the move functionality could be used optionally and no need for bounding box when there is a second (right) analog. Presumably the new camera and hardware would cut input lag so there seemed (to an outside observer anyway) for potential to have something more viable.

This "la la la fingers in my ears I don't need bullshit gimmicks" stuff is extremely short sighted and reeks of someone who wants a more insular hobby. That simply isn't a healthy way of looking at things unless you like the idea of a market contraction/correction - which is already happening btw. We shouldn't want gaming to become more like comic books, and that's the real implication of more hardcore-focused platforms that forego things that may or may not have helped with mass market penetration. This camera may not have lit anything on fire, but by not making it integral to the console we will simply never know.

Market contraction... now that's an interesting idea.

Marleyman

Banned
95 percent bullshit waggle? 2 screens not useful? Dumb peripheral gimmicks? This sounds more like a tirade against Nintendo, not a discussion of Sony's camera. I will say this, however: Sony's move and Wii remote infrared are what allowed me to play fps, tps, and RTS games on consoles this generation (and light gun stuff too obviously) - dual analog is drastically inferior for all of these genres. It also expanded the market greatly by lighting up many imaginations and allowing accessible gameplay (there is nothing "bullshit waggle" about playing a bowling game in the same way you bowl in real life with family members who don't normally game).

Do you think I saw any value in kinect? No, not really. The delay sucked. But lots of people didn't care, and it expanded the market enough to gain a much improved sequel.

Interesting.

I don't get how not including the camera knocks off $100, but then Sony can sell the camera itself for $60.

Sony was hoping to add to their profits. Simple as that.

You couldn't price a PS4 with an Eye at $499 versus the Xbone with KINECT at $499. Kinect is the superior technology and the "value" argument would have been in Microsoft's court. Dropping the Eye and going $399 did all sorts of wonders for Sony.

graywolf323

in addition to being negative in tone this article from IGN seems to just be pushing a theory instead of anything factual

why would dropping a $60 camera let Sony drop the price $100? that doesn't make sense at all

if anything I bet they were going to price it at $450 including the camera and decided undercutting the Xbox One by $100 up front and then charging $60 for the camera would be better in the long run

Whatever, you can take my post as an attack on nintendo. I didn't mention the Kinect because I felt pointing out that it's a dumb bullshit peripheral was so well known that I didn't need make the point. You also point out the move and IR simply providing controls options you prefer. That's nice for you, but that doesn't fall into the "new gameplay" that keeps being trumpeted about when people talk about including gimmick hardware.

2 1/2 years of C-grade Kinect garbage and people still go on and on about its "potential". Even when nothing remotely interesting is being shown or demo'ed.

The tech has resulted in little more than tiresome rehashes of Wii fads, and yet we're supposed to mourn its loss because "without it it's just the same old shit we've been playing for years." I'm a little confused as to how sports minigames and dance/fitness titles don't qualify as "the same old shit" at this point.
Hear, hear!

Input != innovation. Innovative games are about game SYSTEMS. Innovation and entertainment possibilities are infinite in those terms. This idea that the controller holds us back is just backwards.

Oppo

And it was neat in Manhunt without a Kinect a decade ago.

oh man. I forgot about that.

Manhunt was really intense with the headset turned up to max sensitivity. The first time I coughed to myself and saw an on-screen NPC dude whirl around in my character's direction was the freakiest fucking feeling.

Such simple use of the tech too, but so effective. Too bad about.. well, Manhunt.

Top Bottom