• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

LeleSocho

Banned
Siglemic run was hardly perfect, what really lacked at the time he was active were competitors, the main players that could compete like nero and honey at some point dropped the game and as soon as someone came to grind and drill runs Sig's WR fell.

Gbraga

esus, how am I supposed to learn the Mirror's Edge Any% route? >_<

The only game I speedrun is Dark Souls, and, if you played that game a lot, all you have to do is google a couple of glitches and watch a run and you know exactly what to do, but Mirror's Edge is so complex. >_<

Is there a chapter select in that game? I don't even remember. If so, I might just play through it without trying any routes, just practicing the techniques to unlock the chapter select.

In case there's some doubt, I'm not trying to speedrun on my first playthrough, I just don't have my original save from back when the game came out anymore :p

LeleSocho

Banned
esus, how am I supposed to learn the Mirror's Edge Any% route? >_<

The only game I speedrun is Dark Souls, and, if you played that game a lot, all you have to do is google a couple of glitches and watch a run and you know exactly what to do, but Mirror's Edge is so complex. >_<

Is there a chapter select in that game? I don't even remember. If so, I might just play through it without trying any routes, just practicing the techniques to unlock the chapter select.

In case there's some doubt, I'm not trying to speedrun on my first playthrough, I just don't have my original save from back when the game came out anymore :p
As soon as you complete the game you can choose all the chapters and checkpoints... but you are right ME is so hard to speedrun ç__ç
One day i tried to do the kickglitch for three hours straight and i haven't managed to do it once ç__ç

Gbraga

As soon as you complete the game you can choose all the chapters and checkpoints... but you are right ME is so hard to speedrun ç__ç
One day i tried to do the kickglitch for three hours straight and i haven't managed to do it once ç__ç

Are you on consoles? I hear it's way harder to do on PS360.

Velcro Fly

Caught the last half or so of the new Kirby's Dream Land 2 WR live.

Congrats to Controllerhead for some pretty good RNG late in the game that apparently saves a ton of time. Pretty sure him and someone else have been going back and forth fighting for the record lately.

FireSol

Tried to learn first Megaman speed run, and this game is so brutal, at least some of the strats is pretty useful in casual run

Jokab

Caught the last half or so of the new Kirby's Dream Land 2 WR live.

Congrats to Controllerhead for some pretty good RNG late in the game that apparently saves a ton of time. Pretty sure him and someone else have been going back and forth fighting for the record lately.
That's really cool, what is the WR right now? Is this any% and does anybody run 100% at all?

I happen to have the TAS WR for KDL2 100% from many years back, probably 2007. It's a really shitty run, clocking in at 48:16.67. I had never played the game before starting the run, as TASers did more often than not back then, which made it a bit awkward I bet.

Velcro Fly

That's really cool, what is the WR right now? Is this any% and does anybody run 100% at all?

I happen to have the TAS WR for KDL2 100% from many years back, probably 2007. It's a really shitty run, clocking in at 48:16.67. I had never played the game before starting the run, as TASers did more often than not back then, which made it a bit awkward I bet.

It was 40:52.xx and was any%

Not sure if anyone runs 100%

Core Zero

Tried to learn first Megaman speed run, and this game is so brutal, at least some of the strats is pretty useful in casual run

Assuming you're talking about the original NES Megaman, I run that, though I haven't played it in a few months. If there's any particular strats you need help with then feel free to ask. I found it to be a very difficult casual game but not bad to speedrun once you learn the basic strats. The more advanced stuff can be frustrating though.

Currently I've been trying to learn the original Legend of Zelda, which didn't have too many people running it, but has had the record drop several times in the past few months. In addition, someone has been developing a randomizer for the game, which changes the locations of dungeons and their room contents, and beta testers have been racing them regularly on SRL. The program is being officially released this Saturday, with a race at 1:59pm. Check out https://sites.google.com/site/zeldarandomizer/home if you want to see what it's like. I really like this sort of thing, and it's the perfect game for mixing things up given how open it is already.

FireSol

Hmmm...I dont like Nintendo behaviour, I'm afraid that they can go against speedrunners and we could not see any DGQs and other fests in near future ((((

Velcro Fly

Hmmm...I dont like Nintendo behaviour, I'm afraid that they can go against speedrunners and we could not see any DGQs and other fests in near future ((((

The way Nintendo is embracing the Smash scene, it would make zero sense for them to turn around and say you can't speedrun on legit games/consoles.

I've never been more impressed by menuing in my entire life

I can't even imagine how long it took to optimize a game like that down to just a 3 hour menuing exhibition

it's funny, for how much RNG Fire Emblem is known for FE6-10 don't have much in the way of getting RNG screwed (RNG abuse in 6-8 means the entire route is completely fixed, fixed mode in 9 means units don't get RNG screwed, BEXP+battle saves in 10 means the only potential problem is like, a super RNG screwed Jill) in speedruns

well, unless you're an idiot like that one guy that tried running FE8 a while back and failed miserably

Velcro Fly

Just stayed up an extra half hour to watch trihex PB on Yoshi's Island.

Not sure that I've ever felt this good about someone PBing before. I remember all the bad feels about him being awful in some marathon race a while back and he totally committed himself to getting better.

Just stayed up an extra half hour to watch trihex PB on Yoshi's Island.

Not sure that I've ever felt this good about someone PBing before. I remember all the bad feels about him being awful in some marathon race a while back and he totally committed himself to getting better.

He tries so hard (no pun intended) and I want to see him keep improving, sometimes he let's himself go but he really seems to be serious lately.

well, unless you're an idiot like that one guy that tried running FE8 a while back and failed miserably
Can we save flaming runners to places where they can defend themselves?

Re: trihex... is he doing full runs regularly yet? I hate to admit it but I've gotten kind of apathetic towards his stream since there hasn't been much visual progression (as in New pbs)

DaBoss

Did he PB again?

I checked before I even posted and he did. Congrats to him. Glad he is seeing some immediate progress after his last PB (which was a few days before).

Velcro Fly

Apparently the 982 is a thing

Super Mario 64 - 120 star
Super Mario Sunshine - 120 shine
Galaxy 1 - 120 star
Galaxy 2 - 242 star
3D World - 380 star

http://www.twitch.tv/slowkingspants

Dude has been going since yesterday morning and still has the last little bit of Galaxy 2 and all of 3D World left to do.

I love when speedruns involve a level of stamina. This isn't quite as crazy as Animal Crossing 100% but it's still incredible.

Apparently the 982 is a thing

Super Mario 64 - 120 star
Super Mario Sunshine - 120 shine
Galaxy 1 - 120 star
Galaxy 2 - 242 star
3D World - 380 star

http://www.twitch.tv/slowkingspants

Dude has been going since yesterday morning and still has the last little bit of Galaxy 2 and all of 3D World left to do.

I love when speedruns involve a level of stamina. This isn't quite as crazy as Animal Crossing 100% but it's still incredible.

rofl

when's the 2D Mario marathon

TUSR

Banned
sig was running mario tonight, still pulling more viewers than puncay

If anyone has a huge interest in the SGDQ thread, let me know. Ill probably end up making it.

Top Bottom