• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things season 2: Get hype!!!

Damn, neogaf is dead.

Anyway. Just finished ST2 and I'm underwhelmed. I don't like some of the decisions they made. Here goes:

* Nancy still fucking around with Steve and Jonathan. MAKE A DECISION,
BITCH
* Eleven's sister subplot was pretty meh
* Killing Bob? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
* Mike acting like a little bitch because Max approached the group.
* Dart being nice to Dustin because he helped/fed him. He's from the upside down COME THE FUCK ON

On the good side, Max is a nice addition to the group. I also liked (hated) her
step brother
. Good thing the father puts him in his place tho.

All in all I'd rate it a 7. I think season one set the bar way too high. I adore it.

In agree with all you have said. I have it a good 7

Preacher

Are you fucking serious?

Nancy IS a bitch where Jonathan and Steve are concerned. She’s leading them both on because she can’t be arsed sitting down and working out who she wants deep down. If the genders were reversed, you’d be calling the male a fuckboy.

And Billy is a prick. I don’t think anyone is condoning child abuse in any shape or form, more condoning the fact that Billy deserves to be brought down a peg or two. It just so happens that the lucky guy who gets to knock Billy about is his piece of shit father. Again, not condoning child abuse, but condoning someone putting Billy in his place.

Don’t make something out of nothing.
The 2nd statement you just said is the stupidest shit I have ever read in my life.
A character acts like a bully because he was abused.
Here you are congratulating the child abuser who made him that way because he is continuing to abuse the character who now acts like a little shit because of the abuse. Are you serious? Out of the two events in which Billy receives some kind of comeuppance you choose this one?

I honestly don't understand how you typed this up and didn't question the post. This is objectively stupid, goddamn
Oh yeah, you actually did indirectly condone
child abuse
by saying this. Maybe if you read your post and edited stupid shit like that out we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Symphonia

Banned
The 2nd statement you just said is the stupidest shit I have ever read in my life.
A character acts like a bully because he was abused. Here you are congratulating the child abuser who made him that way because he is continuing to abuse the character who now acts like a little shit because of the abuse. Are you serious? Out of the two events in which Billy receives some kind of comeuppance you choose this one?

I honestly don't understand how you typed this up and didn't question the post. This is objectively stupid, goddamn
Oh yeah, you actually did indirectly condone
child abuse
by saying this. Maybe if you read your post and edited stupid shit like that out we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Yawn.

I cheered both times Billy got his ass handed to him. I wouldn’t call Max scaring him shitless child abuse, would you? And, again, I was cheering at the fact Billy got knocked down a peg or two, not at the abuse. He’s an arrogant prick who deserves a hiding (I was hoping Steven would knock him out) so, yeah, I am glad we saw him belittled.

In future, be careful what you accuse me of.

Mmmkay, pumpkin?

Preacher

Yawn.

I cheered both times Billy got his ass handed to him. I wouldn’t call Max scaring him shitless child abuse, would you? And, again, I was cheering at the fact Billy got knocked down a peg or two, not at the abuse. He’s an arrogant prick who deserves a hiding (I was hoping Steven would knock him out) so, yeah, I am glad we saw him belittled.

In future, be careful what you accuse me of.

Mmmkay, pumpkin?
You know saying all of that changes nothing. You're still being stupid by not having the common sense to see what was wrong with what was said prior. Like cool, you can be passive aggressive, I don't really care, but I still can't believe you said something that stupid.

The fact that you're even still arguing instead of just backpedaling or apologizing is hilarious. The fact that your "new" argument incorporates a point I mentioned in my own post as an alternative to the situation you picked is also quite funny

I don't give a shit if you support child abuse or not honestly.
I give a shit that you were stupid enough to post that and then defend it.

Also be careful of what? This is Neogaf? Nothing you said changed anything.
In fact I assumed that you just disliked Billy because he was a prick from the onset.

Its the fact that you picked the worst example of him getting comeuppance because the person delivering it is the shithead responsible for his actions in the first place

You have to lack any type of awareness if you can't understand why saying "I
love when a bully gets put in his place by his abuser who is most likely the reason for the bully's behavior in the first place
which is an old literary trope."
Is just objectively perplexing
The fact that of all the scenes you picked, it has to be this one, shows that you either missed the entire point of that scene or you're very childish/petty

So is it confirmed that Mad Max's brother, Billy, is racist? He seemed to have a problem with Lucas even being in the same vicinity as his stepsister.

kunonabi

Finished it last night. Overall i really enjoyed it. I thought they did a good job with the character relationships and giving everyone something to do, aside from Mike anyway, and the pacing was much better apart from the
sister subplot
. All the new characters were great and fit in naturally aside from
Kali

My biggest gripe was it feeling it too much like the 1st season in terms of the basic plot.
I was really hoping to see Will interacting and adventuring with the rest of the party this time around.

I was really hoping to see Will interacting and adventuring with the rest of the party this time around.

This reminds me of The Hangover, where Doug just will never get adequate screen time in the sequels because he was absent in the first one. Never seen the 3rd one, but going out on a limb here.

That said, Will's acting range this season was amazing. Kid does possessed/in pain very well.

kunonabi

This reminds me of The Hangover, where Doug just will never get adequate screen time in the sequels because he was absent in the first one. Never seen the 3rd one, but going out on a limb here.

That said, Will's acting range this season was amazing. Kid does possessed/in pain very well.
Thats the really sad thing about it. I really like the kid's acting so it would be nice to see him given more to do.

Avinexus

Damn, neogaf is dead.

Anyway. Just finished ST2 and I'm underwhelmed. I don't like some of the decisions they made. Here goes:

On the good side, Max is a nice addition to the group. I also liked (hated) her
step brother
. Good thing the father puts him in his place tho.

Maybe its just me, but that wasn't the father "putting him in his place" to me. The whole point of that scene was to show why the step brother is the way that he is.

Edit: Just saw later in the thread this angle of that scene is already being discussed.

mantidor

They ended episode 6 with
a gigantic cliffhanger and then fully changed the tone of the show up to that point
with episode 7.

I didn't hate the episode though. It just felt really out of place.

Ok yeah I have to admit the pacing was weird, but the episode is vital to the resolution of the season. I've read interviews where the Duffer brothers did not know to leave that plotline or not but they thought it was important, and I agree, maybe it should have been splitted into a couple of episodes.

I also think this is the direction going forward, and it's a problem if the fanbase didn't like it much.
I see most people wanting only Gonnies-like adventures but the kids are growing and the focus has to progress forward, season 1 was kid focused, season 2 is obviously preteen focused, future season will go more and more away from Goonies and E.T and closer to those gritty 80s teen movies that obviously inspired the infamous episode 7. And really for a character named 11 people really think we are not going to explore those other 10 kids that must exist somewhere?
. Who knows what the writers will do after the negative feedback though.

Ultimadrago

Mm, didn't really like the season much. The pacing cruised a little too much for my liking, focusing on Nancy/Steve and other weaker subplots too long and episode 7's arc didn't add up to enough aside some information gaps filled that I didn't care for. It's a shame because I was hoping the open was going to be satisfied when the show wrapped around to it, but it ended up as a pretty crappy, by-the-numbers adolescent beat.

On the bright side, the last two episodes were enjoyable and it ended with that fuzzy feeling like we knew it would. Mediocre season relative to the first which I'm already not crazy about, but I'll watch the next.

I thought it was good.

Raced through it on Friday & Saturday night. Think I did 4 episodes then then 5 episodes. Felt right.

Some thoughts..

I'm glad they didn't redeem Max's brother, I felt like if they did it would be too much like Steve.

Speaking of Steve, he's awesome. Loved every scene he was in.

I'm fine with Episode 7. I don't think it's the strongest, but I didn't mind it,
and understood what it was being used for.

Poor Bob. I really liked his character though, and it made sense he had to die.

Can't wait for Season 3.. curious where they'll go from here. I thought the 80's-ness was on point for the majority of the movie. As someone who grew up in the 80's, this got my memberberries all jostled.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I thought it was good.

Raced through it on Friday & Saturday night. Think I did 4 episodes then then 5 episodes. Felt right.

Some thoughts..

I'm glad they didn't redeem Max's brother, I felt like if they did it would be too much like Steve.

Speaking of Steve, he's awesome. Loved every scene he was in.

I'm fine with Episode 7. I don't think it's the strongest, but I didn't mind it,
and understood what it was being used for.

Poor Bob. I really liked his character though, and it made sense he had to die.

Can't wait for Season 3.. curious where they'll go from here. I thought the 80's-ness was on point for the majority of the movie. As someone who grew up in the 80's, this got my memberberries all jostled.

IMO they will have to skip forward a bit, probably 88 or something since these kids are going to be hitting puberty soon and they’ll look nothing like they previously did.

The show isn’t long for the 80s much more. The 90s should be fun though.

LakeEarth

Kinda lost interest when
Dart killed the cat
As a
cat owner
, it soured me on the show.

I was also heartbroken seeing the mom
yelling the cat's name on the street. I've been there.

But then the scene with Dustin
colorfully pretending that the neighbors saw the cat in another part of town
made it all worth it.

Sinfamy

I absolutely hate everything about the subplot with
Kali
and her terrible friends. Feels like an ABC Family show now, it's like Kyle XY.

LakeEarth

They really needed to explain why
the generic punk team was even helping her in the first place. Yeah her powers made it easy to steal, but they're fine with being part of a first degree murder every couple of days? That could've used some explaining.

Similar issue with the plot.
They just let two teenagers into a secured base (with gun-toting soldiers), gave them a tour of all their super classified stuff, and didn't even bother to check them for a 80s-sized audio recorder?

mantidor

They really needed to explain why
the generic punk team was even helping her in the first place. Yeah her powers made it easy to steal, but they're fine with being part of a first degree murder every couple of days? That could've used some explaining.

Similar issue with the plot.
They just let two teenagers into a secured base (with gun-toting soldiers), gave them a tour of all their super classified stuff, and didn't even bother to check them for a 80s-sized audio recorder?

I think it was implied the gang was also used in experiments, how broken they were because of it and how Kali helped them heal somehow, they just didn't have powers. It's why they all had the same objective of revenge with these people.

As for the teenagers
they already know all what happened, the only other option to try to silence them is to outright murder them and that would further complicate things.

IMO they will have to skip forward a bit, probably 88 or something since these kids are going to be hitting puberty soon and they’ll look nothing like they previously did.

The show isn’t long for the 80s much more. The 90s should be fun though.

The first was 83 right? This was Fall 84. I don't think they'll skip to 88 yet, maybe 86. Then have a 4th season in 1988 or maybe New Years Eve 1989 to show the first transitions into the "90s".

I would love for an 'era' show to be set in the 90s but I am not sure I need it to be this one.

JakeD

The Bad Men know how important it is to
not kill main characters
. Nothing this season is as bad as them
executing Benny just for coming into contact with eleven, but letting Hop go free after breaking into the lab and figuring everything out.

Loved season 2. These characters are so good I’m pretty sure I would have liked it no matter what happened with the plot.

steve and dustin bromance just too good
I called early on that
dart would end up saving them from other demodogs, I was half right
episode 7 is as bad as everyone says, but I do think it added just a little bit of weight to the ultimate climax of the season, el’s “Phoenix” moment
I love that every character
you sort of assumed would turn evil, Paul reiser and Bob specifically, just ended up being good dudes.

mantidor

The Bad Men know how important it is to
not kill main characters
. Nothing this season is as bad as them
executing Benny just for coming into contact with eleven, but letting Hop go free after breaking into the lab and figuring everything out.

Nah
a dead cop is going to draw far more attention than an apparent run-of-the-mill robbery, in season 2 it just happens that they are good guys and don't want to murder anyone anymore.

Kid Ying

Ok yeah I have to admit the pacing was weird, but the episode is vital to the resolution of the season. I've read interviews where the Duffer brothers did not know to leave that plotline or not but they thought it was important, and I agree, maybe it should have been splitted into a couple of episodes.

I also think this is the direction going forward, and it's a problem if the fanbase didn't like it much.
I see most people wanting only Gonnies-like adventures but the kids are growing and the focus has to progress forward, season 1 was kid focused, season 2 is obviously preteen focused, future season will go more and more away from Goonies and E.T and closer to those gritty 80s teen movies that obviously inspired the infamous episode 7. And really for a character named 11 people really think we are not going to explore those other 10 kids that must exist somewhere?
. Who knows what the writers will do after the negative feedback though.
I hope they do exactly that. The dark world already got bored, but fights between telepatic teens? That would be awesome. I hope they make it full Akira in the next season. Maybe even make a rival for 11 that is as good as her but is bad and want to kill all the numbered ones. Make it like the first Terminator...

Binge watched this season yesterday. Absolutely loved it.
I'm thinking that 8 or the other experiments will return next season with a larger plotline. As that plotline having an entire episode dedicated to it right near the end seems suspicious. I'm hoping next season, Will is no longer the victim. I in many ways find him the most relatable character but he got really annoying towards the end. The actor is very talented but I'd like to see the character in a normal state not as the victim.
Are you fucking serious?

Nancy IS a bitch where Jonathan and Steve are concerned. She’s leading them both on because she can’t be arsed sitting down and working out who she wants deep down. If the genders were reversed, you’d be calling the male a fuckboy.

And Billy is a prick. I don’t think anyone is condoning child abuse in any shape or form, more condoning the fact that Billy deserves to be brought down a peg or two. It just so happens that the lucky guy who gets to knock Billy about is his piece of shit father. Again, not condoning child abuse, but condoning someone putting Billy in his place.

Don’t make something out of nothing.
I'm not a huge fan of the character or his actions. However, piss off. As someone who had to live that exact scene at least 3 times a week for most of my life. You have no clue what you are talking about and are being incredibly ignorant. I know this was made days ago and you're banned but still felt the need to respond.

120v

So is it confirmed that Mad Max's brother, Billy, is racist? He seemed to have a problem with Lucas even being in the same vicinity as his stepsister.

He didn't like lucas in particular because he always saw her with him, as opposed to the rest of the crew. Racism is a stretch... doesn't seem like subject matter this kind of show would care to indulge in imo

He didn't like lucas in particular because he always saw her with him, as opposed to the rest of the crew. Racism is a stretch... doesn't like subject matter this kind of show would care to indulge in imo

I took it, initially, as pure racism.

The fact that he doesn't say anything 'racist' when
Billy confronts Lucas
, kind of has me second guessing it, but I imagine it's supposed to be some kind of implied casual 80s racism.

I took it, initially, as pure racism.

The fact that he doesn't say anything 'racist' when
Billy confronts Lucas
, kind of has me second guessing it, but I imagine it's supposed to be some kind of implied casual 80s racism.
No, it's clear from the abuse and neglect of his parents. Serious mental issues have come from it. You saw the way his dad forced him to treat his step sister. He is clearly acting like his abuser and in his mind is looking out for and protecting his little sister. He saw Lucas bothering her and making her upset. Doubt it had anything to do with racism when you see the way Billy treats and speaks to everyone on the show.

Watched it all at once last night, was good but I thought season 1 was better.
They need to leave Will alone next season.
Also felt like there was a lot less tension this time around, might sound weird but there was a lot more violence/deaths in season 1 which made it more interesting/dramatic/scary in a way

LakeEarth

Watched it all at once last night, was good but I thought season 1 was better.
They need to leave Will alone next season.
Also felt like there was a lot less tension this time around, might sound weird but there was a lot more violence/deaths in season 1 which made it more interesting/dramatic/scary in a way

You're right. When, in episode 7, they showed the first season clip of Eleven dropping bodies, I was like... oh yeah, that's what the first season was like....

Got through the first three episodes at work, and I am REALLY annoyed at Dustin.
He finds a creature from The Upside-Down World, and consistently defends it, regardless of the fact that it comes from a place that his best friend is still suffering from.Any adult in their right mind would have killed it right away for risk of infection at the very least.
God. Kids are idiots.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
i'll put it this way... i don't think she's had much experience with alcohol

I'm pretty sure I've witnessed fights like this enough times to say that it isn't that off. Mostly nonsense and repeating something over and over. I'd believe it.

Episode 6 was really good and episode 7 was boring and stupid.

I'm hoping that the cocaine arrest will mean that Jonathan won't be back for season 3. Worst character.

3 episodes down, 6 to go.
Not that it bothers me that much, and not that it's a big one, but thanks for the spoiler warning snausagesUK :)

3 episodes down, 6 to go.
Not that it bothers me that much, and not that it's a big one, but thanks for the spoiler warning snausagesUK :)

I don't know what you're talking about, but the actor who plays Jonathan has been arrested for cocaine possession if that's what you mean.

The actual real life dude is not allowed back in the US right now.

Pejo

Finished S2 last night, really enjoyed it.

Regarding Bob:
I kinda found it poetic that he died, given that ultimately Will being possessed was his fault (telling him to stick up for himself against his opressor,
etc.) Still a shame, he was a great character.

Regarding Eleven:
Didn't care for her subplot, or Eight, at all. Wasted opportunity to have a better subplot involving her mother.

Regarding Eleven:
Didn't care for her subplot, or Eight, at all. Wasted opportunity to have a better subplot involving her mother.

I almost feel like her
subplot was supposed to be sub-par so that she and the audience along for the ride would want her to be with her newfound friends from season 1 and save the day. Made her return at the end meaningful because she had the choice to bail, but came back to those who care about her and whose lives she could better.

JakeD

I'm pretty sure I've witnessed fights like this enough times to say that it isn't that off. Mostly nonsense and repeating something over and over. I'd believe it.

I thought it was good too. Only unrealistic part is that Jonathans car wasn't covered in barf after that drive home

Will's "GO AWAY!" at the end of episode 3 seemed kinda silly.
He was kidnapped by the Demogorgon, been in the Upside Down for quite some time. Suddenly a giant monster appears and he stops running away from it because of some BS story from someone who had no idea what happens on the other side? Ok...

Will's "GO AWAY!" at the end of episode 3 seemed kinda silly.
He was kidnapped by the Demogorgon, been in the Upside Down for quite some time. Suddenly a giant monster appears and he stops running away from it because of some BS story from someone who had no idea what happens on the other side? Ok...
I mean he is ~11 years old and everyone was telling him that it wasn't real and it was all in his head.

Ombra

Someone make a spoiler thread, please, the black bars are a chore to scroll past and people are overtly spoiling plot points.

cormack12

I'm up to episode 5 now and quite liking it. Feesl less serious than the first season though, almost like a softer X-Files, whereas the first felt more filmic.

I was worried they would lose the quality altogether but I think the plot (so far) is believable in that world.

Top Bottom