• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Jimmy Stav said:
Great. Any idea how many hours I have left in store for me?

I would guess that 5 hours to finish might be a little optimistic, but not terribly so. Possibilities of finishing faster too, as there are some ways to cut the time down, either skipping side stuff, or through another kind of spoiler-y way involving the last area:

The last area is a dungeon, and there are secret doors you can take to skip some of the battles

platypotamus said:
I would guess that 5 hours to finish might be a little optimistic, but not terribly so. Possibilities of finishing faster too, as there are some ways to cut the time down, either skipping side stuff, or through another kind of spoiler-y way involving the last area:

The last area is a dungeon, and there are secret doors you can take to skip some of the battles

I may hold off, then. Summer is soon coming to a close, and I'll be too busy with a stack of books by the end of next week that I'll doubt I'll have time for gaming again until December. Sigh.

Fuck it, I just started playing it a bit and remembered how fun this game is. I guess Catherine and El Shaddai will have to wait.

Edit: what's the best way to spec
Ozma?

Soulhouf

The_Darkest_Red said:
I finally started playing this again yesterday after putting it down for a few months. Right now I'm about 5 missions into Chapter IV. I went through the Warren Report to refresh my memory on the story and took a lot of time looking over my units to remember how everything worked. Seriously, this game is my favorite of the year so far and every time I come back to it I get sucked in for hours.

Also, I feel like my Denam is basically breaking the game for me right now. He's a level 19 Ninja equipped with 2 Baldur Dagger +1's and he can do about 180 X 2 damage per turn to any human unit. No one else in my party comes even close to that kind of damage output. Basically every time it's Denam's turn I just ask myself, "Hmm... who do I want to get rid of the most on this turn?"
Wait until he will be an elemental using Lord and he will do like 400 x 2 damage basically killing every single unit in the game in one turn.

But this is nothing compared to the damage that can be made by the class Shaman using an attack such as "Gnome 2" and so on.

This game contains many very powerful classes if you train them in the right direction with the right attacks and the right equipments and skills.

Soulhouf said:
Wait until he will be an elemental using Lord and he will do like 400 x 2 damage basically killing every single unit in the game in one turn.

But this is nothing compared to the damage that can be made by the class Shaman using an attack such as "Gnome 2" and so on.

This game contains many very powerful classes if you train them in the right direction with the right attacks and the right equipments and skills.
Yeah I'm sure things can get pretty ridiculous if you put the time in. The thing is, my Denam is only a level 19 and I haven't gone out of my way to boost his stats or anything so I just feel like he's a lot more powerful than he should be for where I am in the game. I'm not complaining though, I love watching him go to work.

Overall I still think the balance in this game is better than FFT, though. FFT was basically cruise control for me once I got arithmetics.

Rolf NB

Oh wow the fights with the undead near the start of the campaign are really hard. I can't seem to charge up enough mana to excorcise the bastards before they get back up.

I just rushed through the hordes and knocked over the boss, with several of my own party members going down for the count (but not hitting 0). Will that "strategy" screw me over later in some way? They all still have their three hearts, I've checked. Can't really check the current guest characters (no hearts displayed) but they should be fine, too.

Rolf NB said:
Oh wow the fights with the undead near the start of the campaign are really hard. I can't seem to charge up enough mana to excorcise the bastards before they get back up.

I just rushed through the hordes and knocked over the boss, with several of my own party members going down for the count (but not hitting 0). Will that "strategy" screw me over later in some way? They all still have their three hearts, I've checked. Can't really check the current guest characters (no hearts displayed) but they should be fine, too.

Guests are fine if they teleport away, if they actually keel over then they're screwed.

Jimmy Stav said:
Can someone remind me of the best place to grind in Chapter 4? I just got a certain Knight Commander in my party.

Phorampa Wildwood.

Mephala

Jimmy Stav said:
what's the best way to spec
Ozma?

Ogre set with maximum augment darkness and a late game dark dagger she becomes the hardest hitting melee unit from my experience. She has access to missile type spells so if you pick augment darkness you can teach her some of those, though I generally keep her as a melee unit. Another option for her are whips. She has a unique whip finisher which charms enemies. Not sure what to pick in terms of magic augment if you choose whips though. She can use swords quite well as well but will be slower compared to her using dagger.

Rolf NB said:

No, that strategy won't screw you over later. In fact, rushing the boss will probably get you through most of the missions fairly quickly if your units are well prepared. As long as the counter doesn't get to 0 then the unit doesn't lose a heart. No permanent damage done unless you're trying to get the title for 0 incapacitated allies.

The_Darkest_Red said:
No, that strategy won't screw you over later. In fact, rushing the boss will probably get you through most of the missions fairly quickly if your units are well prepared. As long as the counter doesn't get to 0 then the unit doesn't lose a heart. No permanent damage done unless you're trying to get the title for 0 incapacitated allies.

Furthermore, there seems to be no difference in XP earned for your classes if you rush the boss versus wipe out the whole side. You do miss out on some loot or tarot cards, but I think this is pretty trivial.

platypotamus said:
Furthermore, there seems to be no difference in XP earned for your classes if you rush the boss versus wipe out the whole side. You do miss out on some loot or tarot cards, but I think this is pretty trivial.
I think what must of us huge TO fans are trying to avoid admitting is that the best strategy in 90% of the story missions is a straight rush to the boss. Then again, the majority of the fun I've had in this game has been with more of an emphasis on experimentation and unit development as opposed to a strict focus on efficiency. Also, although I haven't gotten to most of the deep bonus dungeons yet I'm guessing those are far more testing of your skills than anything in the main campaign.

iavi

The_Darkest_Red said:
I think what must of us huge TO fans are trying to avoid admitting is that the best strategy in 90% of the story missions is a straight rush to the boss. Then again, the majority of the fun I've had in this game has been with more of an emphasis on experimentation and unit development as opposed to a strict focus on efficiency.

I've been avoiding the boss rush method since reading that the clerics and such in the back usually contain cards/arcanas you wouldn't get otherwise. It's slowed the game down significantly. I'm about to start the blitzing again.

Seda

I just got the character you get for beating chapter 2 of coda (got A LOT of good drops from the Palace of the Dead on the way).

(Minor battle spoilers)
Most of my units were level 50, and that makes this fight tough because it's another doppleganger fight like the end of chapter 4.

I just used Denam alone with his shield (no weapon) shield bashed his enemy into a pit, and then healed (character spoiler)
Warren
as he killed the boss.

iavi

Busaiku said:
So I'm just coming into this and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed by all the stuff going on.
Is this normal?

It's completely normal. You'll get the hang of it with time.

Seda

Busaiku said:
So I'm just coming into this and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed by all the stuff going on.
Is this normal?

First of all, as for the overall game itself: there's a TON of stuff to do. (If you want).

Secondly, the best way to learn the game is to just do some random battles. You'll start to understand menus, skills, weapons, elements, and the like.

Any specific questions?

Busaiku

Nah, it just feels like there are all these systems in battle/outside with equipments and skills I'm not even aware of/not keeping track of.
I'm guessing I'll learn them as I play more.

It definitely got better after I could actually get some more controllable characters.

I don't know if I'll get the shop stuff down though.
Too used to seeing how weapons/armor affects the characters, rather than checking it all manually.

UV-6

How do you successfully recruit someone? For example, to recruit Humans my Cleric class has the skills Anatomy and Recruit, but still no luck. Am I missing something?

daffy

Banned
Been playing this for a bit and I'm kind of tired of it. Story is obtuse and isn't picking up and the strategy is overly difficult and uninteresting. Kind of disappointed that I bought this but at half price its not a big deal.

They really don't tell you anything gameplay wise, just kind of throw you in the desert and expect you to walk. Stuff like Skills and Magic, like there's no way to understand this early on. I installed Counterattack on my Soldier and Ice Magic on my Mage and expected it to, you know, work so I can rank it up. A couple battles in and I'm still wondering why they aren't able to. If this is a result of me not grinding after I've only just started then that sucks.

I had to check the internet to figure out that nybeth was impossible. Then I get to the level with Cistua(?) I think with the spear and I can just not get to her in time even with my slow moving archers. She won't even move towards us knowing she's in danger. I could already tell there would be several more roadblocks so I just cut it off while I was only slightly frustrated.

iavi

UV-6 said:
How do you successfully recruit someone? For example, to recruit Humans my Cleric class has the skills Anatomy and Recruit, but still no luck. Am I missing something?

They can't be the enemy leader, their health has to be low, and you have to be standing right next to them.

PittaGAF

Having just completed Final Fantasy Tactics on iPhone 4, and simply loved every minute of the 43 hours it took me to beat the game and read about the fantastic story, I would LOVE to see Square Enix port this on iOS too.
Any chance?
Is it from the same dev team right?
Is the story similar?
(particularly loved the historic fantasy approach of FFT and the fact you really never knew after a while who will be your ally or enemy).

Busaiku said:
Any character can recruit?
No, only characters who have the skill necessary to recruit the type of unit you're interested in. For example, in order to recruit a human you need a unit with the "recruit" skill but if you wanted to recruit a dragon you would need the "tame" skill.

As previously mentioned the best way to recruit a unit is to reduce their health as low as possible and stand either beside or behind them before using the skill.

RedSwirl said:
For those of you who jumped on the Amazon deal like me:

God damn. Great alternate cover.

The_Darkest_Red said:
No, only characters who have the skill necessary to recruit the type of unit you're interested in. For example, in order to recruit a human you need a unit with the "recruit" skill but if you wanted to recruit a dragon you would need the "tame" skill.

As previously mentioned the best way to recruit a unit is to reduce their health as low as possible and stand either beside or behind them before using the skill.

Also to have a skill that increases proficiency when dealing with that specific unit type.

Miri said:
When the hell does Catiua get that hot ass black outfit and sword?

She gets the costume when she leaves the party. The sword is just for show since she's still a magic based character.

Curufinwe

I'm up to near the end of chapter 3 and haven't recruited anybody in battle, and haven't found enough items to let me craft any weapons or armor. Where can I find carfting items and items that let my Ninja use ninjitsu?

I have everyone at around level 15, but my Mages still don't seem to do much damage with their attacks. So I usually just rely on Denam (still a Warrior), Canopus and my archer to do the bulk of the damage.

iavi

Fimbulvetr said:
She gets the costume when she leaves the party. The sword is just for show since she's still a magic based character.

Ah, gotcha. I thought so.
Where I'm at, she and Denam had their split a while ago, but she hasn't come back yet.
I should be coming up on it then.

Seda

Curufinwe said:
I'm up to near the end of chapter 3 and haven't recruited anybody in battle, and haven't found enough items to let me craft any weapons or armor. Where can I find carfting items and items that let my Ninja use ninjitsu?

I have everyone at around level 15, but my Mages still don't seem to do much damage with their attacks. So I usually just rely on Denam (still a Warrior), Canopus and my archer to do the bulk of the damage.

Ninjitsu reagents can (eventually) be bought at shops. As for items to craft weapons and armor, a lot of it can be made from logs, inferior/copper ore, and threads, which can also (eventually) be bought. Beasthide, and other ores, among other simple things, can be dropped by a variety of enemies. Some recipes many need more specific drops from dragons or beast type enemies.

I beat the main game before I really bothered with crafting, definitely not something you need to do to proceed.

I recently started replaying the game. I believe I'm on chapter 3 and level 15 with everyone, except for some level 7 dragons (<3). I'm currently doing a story battle
The one where you can choose to attack from the south or west. I chose south. It's after Vyce kills Balbatos, I think

I forgot how great the game is. I definitely love going to the area where Harvest Dance plays. I love "moving" to it while playing, haha. So damn catchy and awesome.

Busaiku said:
Nah, it just feels like there are all these systems in battle/outside with equipments and skills I'm not even aware of/not keeping track of.
I'm guessing I'll learn them as I play more.

It definitely got better after I could actually get some more controllable characters.

I don't know if I'll get the shop stuff down though.
Too used to seeing how weapons/armor affects the characters, rather than checking it all manually.

Learn, Experiment, Overcome, Succeed. It's the way of all Matsuno games, and quite frankly, can be very stress-free way to tackle his games. You're not forced to understand everything in one pass on first sight, and the game's devs aren't forced to ensure that. Very freeing.

Having just completed Final Fantasy Tactics on iPhone 4, and simply loved every minute of the 43 hours it took me to beat the game and read about the fantastic story, I would LOVE to see Square Enix port this on iOS too.
Any chance?
Is it from the same dev team right?
Is the story similar?
(particularly loved the historic fantasy approach of FFT and the fact you really never knew after a while who will be your ally or enemy).

Maybe once they get the inputs down right. :p

Almost entirely, even the remake.

Yes, deliciously YES.

dragonlife said:
I forgot how great the game is. I definitely love going to the area where Harvest Dance plays. I love "moving" to it while playing, haha. So damn catchy and awesome.

Magnificent orchestration, magnificient composition, magnificiently perfect accompaniment. It's easily the best OST this year.

Seda

I have now obtained all the unique equipment from the Palace of the Dead, Pirate Graveyard, San Bronsa Euin, etc. All except Ambicion. I need to level up (minor character spoilers)
Lanselot
first.

Soulhouf

Seda said:
I just got the character you get for beating chapter 2 of coda (got A LOT of good drops from the Palace of the Dead on the way).

(Minor battle spoilers)
Most of my units were level 50, and that makes this fight tough because it's another doppleganger fight like the end of chapter 4.

I just used Denam alone with his shield (no weapon) shield bashed his enemy into a pit, and then healed (character spoiler)
Warren
as he killed the boss.
Same here except
that my Denam was too powerful that even with the shield alone he one shot Warren :( so I removed his shield but he still killed Warren with the Light magic he has.
I had to remove everything useful that the cpu can basically use to harm Warren.
It ended up being the must ridiculous battle ever where Warren was doing the job and I was only healing him using items and doing sometimes magic attacks using scrolls.
Thanks god he was intelligent enough to push the doppleganger into the pit.

Anyway it was epic and the scenes very well written as always but the ending brings more questions than it solves.

Seda said:
I have now obtained all the unique equipment from the Palace of the Dead, Pirate Graveyard, San Bronsa Euin, etc. All except Ambicion. I need to level up (minor character spoilers)
Lanselot
first.
That is so impressive. Congratulations, man.

kyubajin

A friend of mine let me borrow his copy for a couple of days and I had a blast, it was a lot of information to take in but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Right now I'm playing FFTA for the 1st time and got FFTA2 on the cheap, should I just get this game or wait until I finish both the FFs?

kyubajin said:
A friend of mine let me borrow his copy for a couple of days and I had a blast, it was a lot of information to take in but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Right now I'm playing FFTA for the 1st time and got FFTA2 on the cheap, should I just get this game or wait until I finish both the FFs?
I think Tactics Ogre is a much better game than either of the FFTA's (or even FFT, for that matter) so I would suggest going straight to the best. Then again, if you're really enjoying FFTA you might as well play through it. I just hope you don't get too burned out on the genre to jump into TO because all of these games are major time-sinks.

So I have gotten it into my head to fill out all of the "wheel of fortune" parts of the warren report. So I'm wondering, for those that have done the Divine General battles, do they show up as special battles in the warren report?

Seda

hydrophilic attack said:
So I have gotten it into my head to fill out all of the "wheel of fortune" parts of the warren report. So I'm wondering, for those that have done the Divine General battles, do they show up as special battles in the warren report?

No they do not. But you do get a title for each one, so you can see that you've beaten them. They each drop good loot too. I finally got a second light element sword (other than Brynhilder) for Denam from the general at the top of San Bronsa.

Seda said:
No they do not. But you do get a title for each one, so you can see that you've beaten them. They each drop good loot too. I finally got a second light element sword (other than Brynhilder) for Denam for the general at the top of San Bronsa.

Thanks mate!

They sound like a pain so I will probably skip them, but we will see how I feel after beating Palace of the Dead, playing through all different routes, killing off
Catiua
to get the special scene and battle about fusils, recruiting
Deneb
, getting all endings and playing through the majority of the law route a second time to deny
Xapan
joining to trigger the special battle against him in chapter 4.

Gaming OCD sucks sometimes :(

Seda

hydrophilic attack said:
Thanks mate!

They sound like a pain so I will probably skip them, but we will see how I feel after beating Palace of the Dead, playing through all different routes, killing off
Catiua
to get the special scene and battle about fusils, recruiting
Deneb
, getting all endings and playing through the majority of the law route a second time to deny
Xapan
joining to trigger the special battle against him in chapter 4.

Gaming OCD sucks sometimes :(

I don't think I've done the thing with
Xapan
. I've done a lot of the other special routes. For example, a special scene if you
don't trigger the Ozma recruit battle
in chapter 4, several
Hobyrim recruitment
battles too.

As for the
killing of Catiua, remember to use a silver oberyth to take her skills and put them on a dummy unit, then kill the dummy unit to transfer the skills back once you rerecruit her with another silver oberyth. Can't say the same for magics learned, through.

Seda said:
I don't think I've done the thing with
Xapan
. I've done a lot of the other special routes. For example, a special scene if you
don't trigger the Ozma recruit battle
in chapter 4, several
Hobyrim recruitment
battles too.

As for the
killing of Catiua, remember to use a silver oberyth to take her skills and put them on a dummy unit, then kill the dummy unit to transfer the skills back once you rerecruit her with another silver oberyth. Can't say the same for magics learned, through.

Thanks for the tip about
Catiua
! For the scene you mention about
not recruiting Ozma
do you have to not trigger that recruitment battle while playing chapter 4 on the law route, or will just playing through chapter 4 normally on any of the other routes suffice?

What's the deal with assigning elements to different characters? I'm in Chapter IV and haven't found a reason to do it, but I'm worried that I may be missing something.

Soulhouf

Seda said:
No they do not. But you do get a title for each one, so you can see that you've beaten them. They each drop good loot too. I finally got a second light element sword (other than Brynhilder) for Denam from the general at the top of San Bronsa.
Are you referring to Oracion? It is not dropped by one of the heavenly generals.
I got it too for my Denam and let Brynhildr to Catiua.

Seda

Jimmy Stav said:
What's the deal with assigning elements to different characters? I'm in Chapter IV and haven't found a reason to do it, but I'm worried that I may be missing something.

You know the augment XXX skills? For example, My lord Denam uses two 1H swords: Brynhilder and Oracion. Both are light element. If you give Denam the skill "Augment Light" he will produce much more more damage with any attack.

My Denam (don't have the game on me right now), iirc has max augment light (level 8), and each sword gives him +1, titania mail gives him +1, and Luminous gauntlets +1 all to augment light.

Needless to say, he has max atk/str (whatever it is) for both hands now.

Soulhouf said:
Are you referring to Oracion? It is not dropped by one of the heavenly generals.
I got it too for my Denam and let Brynhildr to Catiua.

Sorry, Just from the last floor of Sans Bronsa. I incorrectly remember it from the Divine general battle on the same floor, but that dropped Rahula (unique blowgun) which my rogue now has.

hydrophilic attack said:
Thanks for the tip about
Catiua
! For the scene you mention about
not recruiting Ozma
do you have to not trigger that recruitment battle while playing chapter 4 on the law route, or will just playing through chapter 4 normally on any of the other routes suffice?

Law route, sorry.

Seda said:
You know the augment XXX skills? For example, My lord Denam uses two 1H swords: Brynhilder and Oracion. Both are light element. If you give Denam the skill "Augment Light" he will produce much more more damage with any attack.

My Denam (don't have the game on me right now), iirc has max augment light (level 8), and each sword gives him +1, titania mail gives him +1, and Luminous gauntlets +1 all to augment light.

Needless to say, he has max atk/str (whatever it is) for both hands now.

Is there any way to raise the skill without elemental weapons? None of mine are, as far as I can tell.

Seda

Jimmy Stav said:
Is there any way to raise the skill without elemental weapons? None of mine are, as far as I can tell.

any time you perform an action of that element with the skill equipments, or attack with a weapon of the element, the reason why my Denam's augment light leveled up fully is because I use him in every battle, and he gets two swings per turn, every swing increased his augment light skill.

Top Bottom