• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

GeekyDad

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Should I play this or Knight of Lodis first and what are the real differences really?

Well, I will say this, if you play this one first, you'll probably have trouble going back to KoL, since Cling Together streamlines things in a way that trumps pretty much every other SRPG out there right now.

Grinchy

Banned
Onion_Relish said:
TACTICS OGRE OR TITS

WHAT BUY?

I kinda want to buy tits because its not nearly as long to finish, but so much love for the ogre is hard to ignore.
I was in this same predicament and I think I've decided to put my money into TITS. Not just because it's fun to use its acronym, but because I've been wanting a more "traditional" jrpg like this for a while.

GeekyDad said:
Well, I will say this, if you play this one first, you'll probably have trouble going back to KoL, since Cling Together streamlines things in a way that trumps pretty much every other SRPG out there right now.
Looks like I need to drink some Lodis and then gather my TITS to Cling them all Together.

Mikeside

OK, I've just started playing this game and I've done the first couple of battles, but then I get to one where I have to kill the necromancer who you tell to come peacefully, but he summons loads of undead and you have to fight him.

Man, difficulty spike = huge. What am I doing wrong?

IamMikeside said:
OK, I've just started playing this game and I've done the first couple of battles, but then I get to one where I have to kill the necromancer who you tell to come peacefully, but he summons loads of undead and you have to fight him.

That's an optional mission that many people have trouble with on their first time through, but it isn't really representative of the difficulty of story missions that happen around the same time. If you want to you can just play a story mission or two and come back when your team is a little more powerful.

The best way to beat that mission, if I remember correctly (it's been a long time), is to send Canopus on a suicide run straight to the necromancer. It doesn't matter how many undead are sitting around if you manage to take him out.

Mikeside

The_Darkest_Red said:
That's an optional mission that many people have trouble with on their first time through, but it isn't really representative of the difficulty of story missions that happen around the same time. If you want to you can just play a story mission or two and come back when your team is a little more powerful.

The best way to beat that mission, if I remember correctly (it's been a long time), is to send Canopus on a suicide run straight to the necromancer. It doesn't matter how many undead are sitting around if you manage to take him out.

Ahhhh - I thought it was the next story mission - brilliant, thanks very much - I shall crack on with this further tonight :)

GeekyDad

IamMikeside said:
Ahhhh - I thought it was the next story mission - brilliant, thanks very much - I shall crack on with this further tonight :)

:)

Yeah, I did the same thing, actually. Went back later, though, and it was manageable.

Soulhouf

Doesn't Winged Ring make a normal unit move like winged units? At least that's what it used to do in the original. I checked the description, it says "Effect: Windwalk".
I got one in Palace of the Dead but it does nothing to the unit who equips it (???).

Osietra

Banned
Soulhouf said:
Doesn't Winged Ring make a normal unit move like winged units? At least that's what it used to do in the original. I checked the description, it says "Effect: Windwalk".
I got one in Palace of the Dead but it does nothing to the unit who equips it (???).
I think you maybe have use it each turn, like tarot cards etc? Anyway I'd kill for one of those, am currently on level 14 of PotD, no cool stuff as of yet.

Mephala

Seda said:
Brynhilder + Light Augment (or whatever it's called) = at least 200 damage per hit most of the time. Can also heal himself easily. I gave him Lombardia as th off-hand weapon, although it's not nearly as good (I need another light magic 1H sword, if there is one).[/spoiler]

There is always the option of getting a Cursed Light sword. Cursed weapons are a bit of a chore though, I'm still grinding my generics for a lot of them.

Dunan

I've only played one chapter of the game, but my copy of the hardcover artbook arrived today. It's no Valkyria Chronicles World Artworks, but it's pretty good. All kinds of character portraits, from both the originals and the PSP remake, which are begging to be scanned and made into avatars. A few interviews too. This would be trivially easy to translate (compared to VC's artbook) if they wanted to sell it abroad.

Soulhouf

Osietra said:
I think you maybe have use it each turn, like tarot cards etc? Anyway I'd kill for one of those, am currently on level 14 of PotD, no cool stuff as of yet.
I think you're right. Now I am ashamed.
I'm still carrying some old reflexes from the original game I guess :(

red13th

The_Darkest_Red said:
I booted this game up last night just to jam to the soundtrack. So good.

Oh yeah, the soundtrack. I love that they added the composers' comments. And I love it even more they added iconic Ogre Battle songs to the new areas.
When I first went to the Wildwood and heard the Floating Isles theme from Ogre Battle I got all teary eyed.

Osietra

Banned
How does FFT on iOS measure up to this visually? I love the way you get a pseudo- hand drawn effect when you flip the planes from vertical to horizontal.

Mikeside

FFT iOS is blurry and gives me a headache - this game is gorgeous (though sometimes I have difficulty telling the difference between friend and foe)

IamMikeside said:
FFT iOS is blurry and gives me a headache - this game is gorgeous (though sometimes I have difficulty telling the difference between friend and foe)

When you highlight a unit their portrait will have a small flag next to it.

Yours is dark blue.

Osietra said:
How does FFT on iOS measure up to this visually? I love the way you get a pseudo- hand drawn effect when you flip the planes from vertical to horizontal.
I could be wrong on this, but I would say that Tactics Ogre has high resolution environments with low resolution character models, while Final Fantasy Tactics has low resolution textures and environments with somewhat higher resolution character models. They both look good and bad in their own ways, with Final Fantasy Tactics looking slightly more dated.

Nix

Banned
IamMikeside said:

I killed him by hanging back, and letting my archers pick off the undead one by one. Then, I moved forward with my two knight, warrior, and Canopus, while I let everyone else (healer, archer, msc.) deal with the rest. I cornered him (after killing off everyone) and then had three turns until the rest would come back. He may summon more undead, randomly, but press on, and have Canopus pressure him, with things like his bow, to make it easier.

Killed that fucker after like 5 tries. Damn, it felt good. I found out about excorcism scrolls later...

Is it me, or was
Sherry
the number one bitch to get, out of all the special characters? Because she was.

Ikkarus

Dunan said:
I've only played one chapter of the game, but my copy of the hardcover artbook arrived today. It's no Valkyria Chronicles World Artworks, but it's pretty good. All kinds of character portraits, from both the originals and the PSP remake, which are begging to be scanned and made into avatars. A few interviews too. This would be trivially easy to translate (compared to VC's artbook) if they wanted to sell it abroad.
There is an artbook? I must have it!

Curufinwe

Played TO for the first time in two months last night, and in the early part of Chapter 2 I could not get close to saving
Arycelle
so I just gave up and let her die.

Seda

Soulhouf said:
A question that involves a little spoiler:
Is it possible to transform Cachua to an Angel Knight?

You mean divine knight? Well, to make a character a divine knight, they first have to made an undead using a Book of the Dead (and simply a zombie before that), and unique characters cannot become undead....so no.

Also, since this was bumped, I'm on floor 99 of the Palace of the Dead in Chapter 4. Takes forever, but a lot of good weapons and armor.

ucdawg12

question, i just beat the game and opened up the world tarot system.

what are these anchor points and how are they affected? i feel like afraid to do anything that's going to screw them up or something. like, i'm afraid doing something and changing something might lock me out of things. im not really sure what i want to do next in this game yet but i am afraid of making some mistake cause i dont know exactly what's going on with these things lol

ucdawg12 said:
question, i just beat the game and opened up the world tarot system.

what are these anchor points and how are they affected? i feel like afraid to do anything that's going to screw them up or something. like, i'm afraid doing something and changing something might lock me out of things. im not really sure what i want to do next in this game yet but i am afraid of making some mistake cause i dont know exactly what's going on with these things lol

Anchor points are specific points of the game's timeline you can travel to.

It is, by nature, impossible to "ruin" anything with WORLD, because if you mess something up you can always go back in time and fix it, or say screw it and skip back to the future.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was thinking about picking this up. Is there a big difference playing it ripped to a memory stick compared to playing with the UMD? The last game I played on the PSP, Persona 1, was unbearable using a UMD.

Trojita said:
I was thinking about picking this up. Is there a big difference playing it ripped to a memory stick compared to playing with the UMD? The last game I played on the PSP, Persona 1, was unbearable using a UMD.

If you're referring to loading times, they're very short even from UMD.

iavi

RedSwirl said:
Damn. I wanted to buy the PSN version but it will probably never go down from $40.

:( I recently broke down and bit the bullet. The Vita support was too crucial to pass up, as was this game. Amazon having the UMD up for $14 is like rubbing salt in the wound.

I finally started playing this again yesterday after putting it down for a few months. Right now I'm about 5 missions into Chapter IV. I went through the Warren Report to refresh my memory on the story and took a lot of time looking over my units to remember how everything worked. Seriously, this game is my favorite of the year so far and every time I come back to it I get sucked in for hours.

Also, I feel like my Denam is basically breaking the game for me right now. He's a level 19 Ninja equipped with 2 Baldur Dagger +1's and he can do about 180 X 2 damage per turn to any human unit. No one else in my party comes even close to that kind of damage output. Basically every time it's Denam's turn I just ask myself, "Hmm... who do I want to get rid of the most on this turn?"

Curufinwe

I'm into Chapter 3 now and my Denam is still just a Warrior. I have one Ninja and one Rogue in my party and those are my only created classes so far, but I've been rolling along without much trouble since I really got stuck into Chapter 2 last week.

Are there classes I really should get for the tougher battles to come later on?

squall211

RedSwirl said:
Damn. I wanted to buy the PSN version but it will probably never go down from $40.

I'm sure it will go on sale, but probably not until around the holidays. I'm waiting for this + Legend of Hereos to get a sale.

Curufinwe said:
I'm into Chapter 3 now and my Denam is still just a Warrior. I have one Ninja and one Rogue in my party and those are my only created classes so far, but I've been rolling along without much trouble since I really got stuck into Chapter 2 last week.

Are there classes I really should get for the tougher battles to come later on?
In my experience Ninjas and Archers are incredibly powerful killing machines and are the most crucial elements to my success. Generally speaking I think the classes that specialize in one or two particular areas are much better than the jack-of-all-trades type classes.

iavi

NervousXtian said:
Is it wrong that I didn't actually like the story in this game, and just enjoyed the gameplay?

I'm enjoying the story quite a bit. It's nice to be able to play somebody as badass as Denam every once and a while. I'm coming to the end of chapter 3 on the Chaotic route, and while he seems a bit unsure, he takes no shit. Not a bit. Well, except from Catiua who can't quit her incestuous lusting for him.

She's
not around right now though.
which is a huge pain in my ass. I had come to rely on her playing of the backfield.

RedSwirl

squall211 said:
I'm sure it will go on sale, but probably not until around the holidays. I'm waiting for this + Legend of Hereos to get a sale.

When have Square Enix PSN games ever gone on sale? Sega games maybe.

Nix

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Double Attack is indeed game breaking, especially when paired with daggers.

This man know's the truth. Also, double shot. Dear god, is that just a game breaker.

Can anyone help me figure out how long I have left to go? I haven't played this game at all since the start of the summer, and I'm fairly certain I'm near the end. I'll finish it if I can do so in five hours--otherwise, I'll play something else.

I'm on Chapter 4--my main character's sprite has changed, and the two red map points are Mount Hedon and Hagia Banhamuba. Most of my party members are level 18. Should I be able to make it smoothly to the end without grinding?

Remembering the nuances of the battle system and where I was going with my character builds is going to be a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom