• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

kyubajin

The_Darkest_Red said:
I think Tactics Ogre is a much better game than either of the FFTA's (or even FFT, for that matter) so I would suggest going straight to the best. Then again, if you're really enjoying FFTA you might as well play through it. I just hope you don't get too burned out on the genre to jump into TO because all of these games are major time-sinks.
Thanks for the comment, thehut.com has £13 brand-new Tactics Ogre so I couldn't resist and ordered it :) As time consuming as these games are, I see myself ditching FFTA in favour of this one if only for the more mature theme and art. I've read a couple of faqs and the combat system of TO seems to be way more complicated than what I'm used to with the "kiddy" FFTAs.

Zekes!

Curufinwe said:
Shit just got real at the end of chapter 3/start of chapter 4.

Vyce's wide-mouthed scream before he gets executed.

Hell yeah, fuck Vyce. Vyce is like the pussy, lame ass version of Delita.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can you believe I'm still playing this (haven't beat it yet since launch)? Haha. It's the hardest handheld game I've ever played! Damn the Order path and it's lack of proper financing. Too broke to upgrade all my characters EQ and have proper items in battle. Struggling to get past level 15. Forget trying to save Diego right now!

Seda

Finally got Ambicion. Gave it to (character spoiler)
Lancelot

I now have all the unique equipment. Yay.

Soulhouf

Seda said:
Finally got Ambicion. Gave it to (character spoiler)
Lancelot

I now have all the unique equipment. Yay.
I guess a got every single unique equipment except the Ogre Shield. I have to do another run into the PotD to get it. I gave the Ogre set to Guildas and it's ridiculous how it improved his defense beyond 999 now (it was around 600) and his attack.
I'm thinking to give it to
Hamilton
because I don't want another Light element character (I already have Denim and Cachua).

Seda

Soulhouf said:
I guess a got every single unique equipment except the Ogre Shield. I have to do another run into the PotD to get it. I gave the Ogre set to Guildas and it's ridiculous how it improved his defense beyond 999 now (it was around 600) and his attack.
I'm thinking to give it to [soiler]Hamilton[/spoiler] because I don't want another Light element character (I already have Denim and Cachua).

I gave my Ogre set to Sara, who is my Terror Knight. Pretty much a beast now. I don't think I have anyone using the shield though (since the Ogre sword is 2H).

But
Vyce
with Ji'ygla's set rules all.

Soulhouf

Seda said:
I gave my Ogre set to Sara, who is my Terror Knight. Pretty much a beast now. I don't think I have anyone using the shield though (since the Ogre sword is 2H).

But
Vyce
with Ji'ygla's set rules all.
I'm thinking to put the Ogre Helm, Armor and Shield + Fafnir's Heart (the strongest dark 1H sword).

Speaking of Ji'ygla's set, I gave it to Arycelle and indeed she kicks ass right now.

In my game,
Vyce
uses Lightning element: 2x Daedalus Blade + Viraat's Thundercoat + Shadowed Greaves (since he can't use Lightning Gauntlets) + Crest of Fire.

Busaiku

Wait, I don't get it.

The default name for the main character was Denam, but when I started chapter 2, they started calling him Pavel.
And outside of that voiced recount, characters still call him Denam.

Peff

Busaiku said:
Wait, I don't get it.

The default name for the main character was Denam, but when I started chapter 2, they started calling him Pavel.
And outside of that voiced recount, characters still call him Denam.

That's why, It's Denam Pavel, but the Pavel part is the only one that always remains regardless of which name you choose. Kinda like how everyone refers to Tidus as "him" in FFX.

Seda

Busaiku said:
So I wasted 20 hours only to realize I've missed important characters...
Time to restart...

You don't have to restart, no character is missable. Once you beat the game, you can go back to any point in time.

The only true missables in the game are some titles (for never retreating, never using chariot tarot, no incaps, no deaths....I didn't bother getting these), along with a couple of items (Crescent Bow/Cupid Bow, Decoy skill, one other maybe .....these are missable because if your characters are too high a level, they can't be dropped anymore.).

RedSwirl said:
How long do Matsuno SRPGs typically get? All I know is that it's possible to spend around 300 hours on FFTA.
As long as you want them to.

Seriously though, you could probably beat Tactics Ogre without much trouble in about 40-45 hours but there is plenty to do if you want to play for hundreds.

Seda

Okay, I think I've done everything I want to bother with in this game.

-I've leveled up all human classes to 50, with the exception of Priest and Dark Priest, for clear reasons for those who've played the game.

-I have obtained all unique equipment, all available magic for the characters who use them.

-I have done, to my knowledge, all available battles and seen all available scenes.

-I have gotten 83/92 titles, the only titles I didn't bother with were the ones that require a limit on incaps, deaths, or chariot.

My team, consists of 29 characters:

ZG4Ks.jpg
5QJwu.jpg

BZ8RR.jpg
ra7SD.jpg

pNBNA.jpg
JUCh7.jpg

l2tmq.jpg
DfXu5.jpg

U6JuL.jpg
oilwH.jpg

57T1t.jpg
Xh0mQ.jpg

EXKAC.jpg
qR0gI.jpg

KxsUL.jpg
FqhLe.jpg

bhnS8.jpg
RHSjG.jpg

OodjY.jpg
FdfnN.jpg

s19jG.jpg
0R7MU.jpg

PDvR4.jpg
5vLWR.jpg

Major Spoiler characters here:
http://i.imgur.com/Hhv4S.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RM1uK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GP69u.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2CbvG.png

Seda

Khold said:
I see you have a ninja named Ryu.

Dare I ask your playtime?

I also have a rogue named Matthew.

Arycelle was my Dragoon, Donnalto was my Beastmaster, just because.

Playtime is above 700 hours, but that's partially because I fell asleep several times while playing late into the night.

So I just got to Chapter 2.
Tried to save Balamusa's people and now I am a traitor.
Going back to Xeod Moors and I see Arycelle again, not as a guest though. Can she join my party after this fight or not on this particular path (top path in the Wheel Of Fortune - is that chaos path since Denam now has that alignment instead of neutral)? Because the fight in the Xeod Moors, I cannot get to her in time to save her and I don't want to miss any possible characters.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So I just got to Chapter 2.
Tried to save Balamusa's people and now I am a traitor.
Going back to Xeod Moors and I see Arycelle again, not as a guest though. Can she join my party after this fight or not on this particular path (top path in the Wheel Of Fortune - is that chaos path since Denam now has that alignment instead of neutral)? Because the fight in the Xeod Moors, I cannot get to her in time to save her and I don't want to miss any possible characters.

Yes she joins if you save her.

Canopus with a Lobber is good for keeping her healed.

RedSwirl said:
How long do Matsuno SRPGs typically get? All I know is that it's possible to spend around 300 hours on FFTA.

I've been playing it when I'm not busy, 100+ hours in a single playthrough, without beating the main story yet(I'm working on getting Deneb).

Seda said:

-I've leveled up all human classes to 50, with the exception of Priest and Dark Priest, for clear reasons for those who've played the game.

-I have obtained all unique equipment, all available magic for the characters who use them.

-I have done, to my knowledge, all available battles and seen all available scenes.

-I have gotten 83/92 titles, the only titles I didn't bother with were the ones that require a limit on incaps, deaths, or chariot.

(pictures)

Pffft, you didn't even bother to max out their base stats with food items and tarot cards.

Oh my god keeping her alive is driving me crazy... I can get to her but I can't really heal her much and she gets ganged up on so bad... Here goes attempt 5.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Oh my god keeping her alive is driving me crazy... I can get to her but I can't really heal her much and she gets ganged up on so bad... Here goes attempt 5.

Does Canopus have Field Alchemy 1 or 2?

Do you have any +1 or +2 versions of healing items?

Fimbulvetr said:
Does Canopus have Field Alchemy 1 or 2?

Do you have any +1 or +2 versions of healing items?
Field Alchemy 1 and I do have Mend Leaf +1... Going to try and get him up to Field Alchemy 2 and get some Mend Seeds and see if that helps more.

MotionBlue said:
Alternatively, strip Canopus naked and they'll target him preferentially(usually)
Did not try that. I will do that too. See if that helps, thanks.

Peff

You can also use the horn (of the savage, I think?) to create bad weather and make it much harder for the enemy units to reach her, but not so for Canopus.

Slime

Banned
So I love this game so much I decided to double dip and ended up scoring the UK premium edition at FanExpo. It's cool and all, but man, an honest to goodness mini-disc? I didn't know those still existed.

Soulhouf

Seda said:

(pics)
Congrat' but why so many generic characters?
And what's the clear reasons to not level up Priest and Dark Priest?

Soulhouf said:

Well Dark Priest is a shit class because of its poor spell selection, but there's no reason not to level up Priest. It's a better class than the Princess until you get Heavenly Judge. And even after learning it, I find the Priest has more utility considering there are a bunch of other unique classes that can do what the Princess can, but no other special healer classes like the Priest.

Soulhouf

Basileus777 said:
Well Dark Priest is a shit class because of its poor spell selection, but there's no reason not to level up Priest. It's definitely a better class than the Princess until you get Heavenly Judge. And even after learning it, I find the Priest has more utility considering there are a bunch of other unique classes that can do what the Princess can, but no other special healer classes like the Priest.
I leveled up Dark Priest and she has an insane amount of int. Besides she masters the dark element which is the best spell school.

Regarding the Princess class, it's the only healing class in the game that can use meditate which makes a huge difference.

Soulhouf said:
I leveled up Dark Priest and she has an insane amount of int. Besides she masters the dark element which is the best spell school.
They have great INT, but their spell selection is so restrictive that the class makes little sense to use when the Priest and Princess are much better.

Regarding the Princess class, it's the only healing class in the game that can use meditate which makes a huge difference.

MP items are so common late game that's it's not a huge difference, especially if you only have one or two magic units that don't have meditate. The Priest has better INT and spell selection than the Princess until you get divine forbidden magic, but by that point you will have a bunch of classes that can use forbidden magic and the Princess' INT is low compared to pretty much off all of them.

Soulhouf

Basileus777 said:
They have great INT, but their spell selection is so restrictive that the MP items are so common late game that's it's not a huge difference, especially if you only have one or two magic units that don't have meditate. The Priest has better INT and spell selection than the Princess until you get divine forbidden magic, but by that point you will have a bunch of classes that can use forbidden magic and the Princess' INT is low compared to pretty much off all of them.
1/Using an MP item consumes a turn while meditate doesn't and that makes a huge difference. You can gain more than 40 MP every turn.
2/I use Princess as a healer, rarely as an offensive magic caster.
3/I can't think of a class other than Princess and Lord who can use the Light forbidden magic. Besides especially this forbidden magic can exorcise undead when "killing" them and that's awesome.
4/Princess can also equip Brinhildr which makes her a good damage dealer. Combine that with a full set of "augment light +1" equipment and you can deal a decent damage using both sword and magic.
5/Unlike the other healing classes who are very fragile, Princess can stand in front while healing other units.

I understand your argument regarding the Dark Priest though, especially when you have a Lich/Wicce who master Dark magic perfectly.

Donnalto's
loyalty just shot down from "This Unit supports you in all things-a loyal ally to the end." (81-100) to "Of late, this unit has grown more vocal in criticizing your decisions." (21-30) after the
Post Asyton battle against Arcyelle.

Is that normal? Or can I avoid the plummet of loyalty by removing Donnalto from the fight and losing all that dialogue between him and Arcyelle? I don't think the dialogue is a required part of recruiting Arcyelle later on.

Seda

Soulhouf said:

I did princess instead, mainly because of meditate. I already had two dark magic users in my Necromancer and Lich.

I like using generics and uniques mixed. majority of party are still uniques, though.

Mephala said:
Vartan Canopus with a Winged Ring???

haha, didn't even realize I did that.

Electivirus said:
Donnalto's
loyalty just shot down from "This Unit supports you in all things-a loyal ally to the end." (81-100) to "Of late, this unit has grown more vocal in criticizing your decisions." (21-30) after the
Post Asyton battle against Arcyelle.

Is that normal? Or can I avoid the plummet of loyalty by removing Donnalto from the fight and losing all that dialogue between him and Arcyelle? I don't think the dialogue is a required part of recruiting Arcyelle later on.

This happened to me after that battle, as well. But I kept using him, and a few battles later, his loyalty increased again. IIRC, this increase was connected to another battle where he had some dialogue.

just got this & started & would like to know one thing before i waste my time & potentially ruin my first run; is there any downside to grinding? in other words, do any of the fights scale to my team's level &, due to the lack of strong equipment early in the game, become really, really hard to win?

xbulletholes said:
just got this & started & would like to know one thing before i waste my time & potentially ruin my first run; is there any downside to grinding? in other words, do any of the fights scale to my team's level &, due to the lack of strong equipment early in the game, become really, really hard to win?

Fights scale, but only to a limited degree (within a certain range based on where you are in the story) until you get to the late game/postgame content. So grinding won't make the game harder.

RDreamer

I'm about to enter the hanging gardens, but I'm weary about doing so. I feel I'm under leveled. My highest now is 18, and I've been seeing people say they're well into their 20s at the endgame. I tried to do one of the side quests and just got wasted by dragons, so now I suppose I'll upgrade my dragoons.

Nix

Banned
RDreamer said:
I'm about to enter the hanging gardens, but I'm weary about doing so. I feel I'm under leveled. My highest now is 18, and I've been seeing people say they're well into their 20s at the endgame. I tried to do one of the side quests and just got wasted by dragons, so now I suppose I'll upgrade my dragoons.
I was level 21 when I attempted the hanging gardens, but that was mainly because I was getting optional characters and loot. You should be fine though; you'll probably gain a few levels in the hanging gardens itself, and no matter what, the final fight is going to be a bitch.

Top Bottom