• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AWS (abused wife syndrome) ESPN NFL 2005 Xbox league! Last time Sega! LAST TIME!

Fifty

Good game Azteca. Those missed catches by your RB were just pathetic, that should not have happened.

It was funny seeing Lamont Brightful still in a Ravens uniform. :p

AztecaGX

As you can tell by my 7 game losing streak, it happens alot. I've gotten used to the dropped passes, so it doesn't bother me as much as it should. :p

ShadowRed

Banned
Cloudy said:
I'd like to suggest Performance EQ one more time. You all need to give it a try :D

One more time EQ doesn't stop the wide open dropped passes. It doesn't stop the crap AI of the DBs. That's the major complaint about this game.

Cloudy

Banned
EQ doesn't stop the wide open dropped passes
There isn't a problem with wide open drops if:

- You manual catch with Y
- You throw soft passes or lobs to players who don't have a high catch rating (TEs, RBs, crap WRs).

I always laugh when I'm playing someone who throws a laser to the running back in the flat and it goes right over his head and they pause to replay it like it should have been caught :lol

Looking at our league stats, it's waaaaay to easy to pass IMO. Go and see the stats for yourself. If you're dropping passes a lot, it's something you're doing...

It doesn't stop the crap AI of the DBs.
EQ makes it so the 90 WRs won't burn the average DBs EVERY FREAKIN' TIME and the average DBs will actually make plays. It's not so much crap DB AI as it is unrealistic ability of any decent WR without EQ on...

i hate to say it but i'm starting to agree with konex as well about EQ. there are still instances of bad DB AI, bad blocking, etc, but somehow someway (maybe coincedence, but thats a tough sell for me) the games turn out to be more realistic. the major problem i had with EQ were with the drops, but i get the same drops without it on so whats the difference?

i did play DM without EQ on with the new rosters. the results were so-so. i was the chiefs, he was the cardinals. the final score was 39-34 i won. that's not so unrealistic (2 "bad" defense), but what i didn't like is how easily holmes ran. i know priest is a good back, but it took absolutely no effort for me to get most of my yards. true, i got tackled 4 or 5 times behind the line of scrimage, but for the most part i was able to rip off nice chunks of yardage very easily.

it's a tough debate. but look at it this way (real life example): the 49ers are rated by ESPN and Madden in the bottom 3 teams in the league (ratings wise). i can compete with the 49ers in madden, infact i can win a lot of games, because madden rewards you for good playcalling and good execution. in ESPN, with EQ off, it is nearly impossible for me to win with the 49ers because espn DOESN'T reward you for calling the correct plays, and it DOESNT reward you for executing plays. to balance this out, i think EQ is the way to go. in ESPN, i would get blown out against the falcons, and i would get blown out against the Saints. in real life those two things didn't happen, they don't happen in madden, and they shouldn't happen in ESPN.

i'll be playing a lot more EQ games, cause i need more time to see if it actually does what i think it's doing (and after 6 EQ games it appears that way), but right now i am leaning toward EQ.

bottom line is ESPN is a broken game no matter how you look at it (EQ or not), but I think EQ takes away at least SOME of the garbage you see with default.

Cloudy

Banned
The only thing I care about is people taking advantage of my shitty offensive line every 3rd down. Does EQ fix that?

Well, say your o-line is rated 50, a 90 rated d-line won't rape them all game with EQ on. On a side note, I've noticed that folks who get sacked a lot, call a lot of empty backfield formations. If you're gonna call that a lot, have some of the WRs block or else you're asking for trouble...

in ESPN, with EQ off, it is nearly impossible for me to win with the 49ers

...or any other average team if the other guy is a power team and doesn't completely stink. That and the fact that the stats are completely ridiculous with EQ off are my main concerns...

Fifty

Well so what're we going to do? We can't turn EQ on now, can we? I see you already have an EQ league going, that I wasn't around to join...so it's not like that's our solution.

we can't turn EQ on for season 1, but we can for season 2 (if everyone decides on it).

obviously we're going to lose some people one way or another (some people say they refuse to play a season with it on, others refuse to play a season with it off)

Fifty

My team is one of the top teams and there's no way what we're playing now is real football. I don't know why anyone who isn't in first place would want to keep it the way it is. It freaking stinks. It can't get any worse.

Bog

Junior Ace
Can't play tonight. Have to finish a couple reviews. Tomorrow between 7 and 10:30 EST or so is good.

Mrbob

Well, I'm slowly but surely starting to move to the EQ crowd too. I've been starting to get burned on triple and quadruple coverage passes. Ridiculous.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
That weak int changed the momentum of the game, Guile. Johnson literally got hit in the nuts with that one.

I went to Toomer so much because your zone schemes left him open consistently. Hope you don't think that was cheese. Nice run D though. :( Barber's stats. :(

Oh my lord, my D was rated at 43 before the game and now I lost my second starting DB. It's gonna be like 30 for the next game.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I've grown to accept the shortcomings of the Chiefs defense in ESPN. Losing Priest really blows though, and that INT, were it to happen in real life, would be on every blooper tape ever made.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Maverick, I will be around Wednesday-Friday 6:30-11:00

I have a weird question...

... Why did I have to play 10 road games this season?

ShadowRed

Banned
I need to give notice that I'm in the crappiest hotel on the fucking planet and don't have broadband access while the three other hotels right fucking next to it does. So in the event that the league is moved ahead this week I will have to take a hit. I may and this is a big may be able to make it home this week end so there is a possiblity that I could get this game in. If not I will be here for 2 more weeks and probably miss the rest of the league games. On top of that special news I probably wont be online after this post because not only does this shit hole hotel not have brandband but they charge 50 cents for every local call. The dail up modem on my laptop is a piece of shit and drops out every 5 to 10 minutes. I've already dropped 2 bucks just to post this. The cherry on top of all this if everything else wasn't enough is that I have to share a room with a 400 pound sasquatch that sits 2 feet from the TV that he hogs and chuckles at every fucking inane comment that is uttered on TV. Oh this looks to be a great couple weeks for me.

you dudes better finish tonight, i'm advancing the league tomorrow afternoon.

p.s. alright ill wait till tomorrow night, so bob and stooge can get their game in :D

Bog

Junior Ace
You gonna be around at all tonight, Cmdr? I have to go to the gym after work, but should be home by 7:15 EST.

Bog...I work everyday until 10PM CT...hence the 11PM CT time slot. Tonight I will be ready to go at 10:30 PM CT...that is the earliest I can do!

Fifty

Mr Bob, when can you play our Madden tournament game? I'm only posting this here because you haven't posted in that thread, and you're not subscribed to it, plus your PM box is full.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Fuck! I was hoping to play Maverick today since I have time.

Maverick.... tomorrow at around 10:30-10:45 sound good? Guh I didn't want to play too late but I got shit today all night Friday, and all day Saturday. Kinda weird the last round was only three days causing me and Damion to miss our game, and now it's 4 days (Saturday night to tonight).

Bog

Junior Ace
Cmdr. Solrak said:
Good game Bog...It would have been tied if the fucking booth replayed that run back at the end of the half.

Oh man, yeah. That scared me. I took Fiedler and powered up his meter then just hit tackle and somehow you didn't get in (even though you probably did after a review). Thank you, Fiedler.

Top Bottom