• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of NPD info on NeoGAF (Update)

argon

Props to NPD for taking a pragmatic and surprisingly generous approach. Hopefully they will keep their promise and actually provide the data on a regular basis.

The irony here is that since NeoGAF is a public board, we just became NPD's primary news outlet for sales numbers. Expect to see Gamespot et al sourcing us every month, since I don't think they ever got top 20 units (or they did and weren't allowed to publish them).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, the NPD guys are a reasonable (and from the looks of it, not greedy at all) bunch

FnordChan

NeoGAF said:
Thanks, NPD!

rwalters.jpg

"No worries, GAF. I'm in your corner."

NPDChan

p.s. Kudos to the NeoGAF leadership for making this happen and thanks to NPD (with apologies to Rupert Walters for my abusing his smiling face) for working out the deal. Woo!

Odysseus

Banned
dextran said:
So what was the top 20 for November?

1 Viva Pinata
2 Viva Pinata
3 Viva Pinata
4 Viva Pinata
5 Gears of War
6 Viva Pinata
7 Viva Pinata
8 Final Fantasy XII
9 Viva Pinata
10 Viva Pinata
11 Viva Pinata
12 Zelda
13 Viva Pinata
14 Viva Pinata
15 Viva Pinata
16 Viva Pinata
17 Viva Pinata
18 Viva Pinata
19 Viva Pinata
20 Dead or Alive X 2

Triumph

Banned
Dammit, just when the gaming forum might have been threatening to become readable again for the first time in years.

*slouches back to OT*

ZeoVGM

Banned
a synopsis of the market, which includes the Top 20 with unit sales, install base LTD and monthly for each platform

That's -awesome-.

Seriously, that's great.

Don't suppose we can get that for November? :D

Tiktaalik

This is a great solution. Thanks you NPD for being generous guys.

The only other thing that could also be nice is if we could all vote on a list of our top 5 or top 10 obscure games that we want to know the numbers for, and then we could get the numbers for those games. This way we get the added feature of knowing how bad our favs bombed. It doesn't really even have to be exact numbers, just general < 100k etc.

I'm essentially just remembering the great thread caused by the low Yakuza and PSP numbers and wondering how we can still have that sort of thread.

To be perfectly honest (and I'm not trying to start something here), I still find it odd NPD doesn't like borrowing their numbers. They have numbers. They sit there. They like to be in private. And only lists go out to people who pay ourageous amounts, and the top 20 occasionally goes out. Why not just go full out and promote your thing?

Anyway, this is a reasonable conclusion, though, and I'm delighted NPD aren't total dicks after all. :)

GhaleonEB

Probationsmack said:
What exactly does the NPD get out of this deal? It almost seems too good to be true.
1) GAF administration agrees to lock down on leaked NPD data.
2) NPD gets good publicity for handling the situation. Just look at the reactions in this thread.
3) By providing the essential information that GAF usually clamors for up front, and with an open dialogue to NPD thereafter, the demand for leaked data goes down. NPD's business model is more secure.

wow. not much to add to the discussion other than this is incredibly good-willed of them, coming from someone working with multiple paid reporting groups like NPD on a daily basis. I HIGHLY doubt most of them would provide such data to a group such as GAF. Hats off.

jamesb23

This doesn't surprise me at all. From my own dealings with NPD they really are a very friendly and cooperative group of people. They've always been very fair. Data is their business, so you can understand why they'd be touchy about it being leaked all over.

allan-bh

If the NPD made this agreement, I believe that it would not be wrong somebody post november's top 20 software and also hardware numbers of XBOX and Gamecube, the only ones that we not yet had access.

And of course congratulations to NEO GAF for the agreement, and thanks to NPD for provide free information to us.

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
This will actually be more data than we got somtimes.

The last time we got this little data was in February and March of this year. We usually get a lot more. The good part about getting this data, though, is no fear of getting the forum shutdown. :D

LanceStern said:
This month alone should see a DRASTIC increase in DS software, so what is a poor Nintendo fan to do in regards to trackign those?

Nintendo Power lists the Top 10 (no numbers) for each Nintendo platform. It won't give us numbers ( :( ), but it'll give some idea of how particular titles are selling.

bunkum said:
Guess I'm not loved or wanted anymore :(

Yes, you are, but you'll get banned, if you post stuff. :( C’est la vie. Thanks for the memories!

Jammy

Banned
So we get the sales of the systems, a ranking of the top 20 games, and their sales?

That's fine with me, I guess. I've always thought it was pointless to determine stuff like which Tales PS2 game was the bigger flop.

Flynn

Seems like they're treating NeoGAF as a media outlet with the answering of specific questions. Pretty cool.

xaosslug

so, does that mean all yee mods have reached a definitive descension in regard to Square2005's "threads on decade-old info"?

:lol

xaosslug said:
so, does that mean all yee mods have reached a definitive descension in regard to Square2005's "threads on decade-old info"?

:lol

Sure it's old, but if the numbers haven't really been seen before, they're still just as interesting...

Triumph Dolomite 1300cc said:
Dammit, just when the gaming forum might have been threatening to become readable again for the first time in years.

*slouches back to OT*

We'll all miss you very much. :-(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So this is the data we now get here on GAF?

Japan (weekly)

Media Create - Top 10 numbers + Top 50 ranking + Hardware

Famitsu - Top 30 numbers + Hardware

US [monthly)

NPD - Top 20 numbers + Hardware + other assored data within reason

Europe (weekly)

Rankings from various countries

Top Bottom