• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The future of NPD info on NeoGAF (Update)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
bunkum said:
Guess I'm not loved or wanted anymore :(
You're still loved and wanted, just not needed. ;)

I appreciate (and will miss) the extras I got from time to time. :)

Now, keep in mind, since we're getting this straight from NPD, there has to be some protocol. That's going to be worked out between the mods and admins so we don't burn the bridge from day 1. This was only a cordial e-mail with an offer, I'm sure we're going to have rules we must follow in order to re-publish the information, much like how larger sites do things.

Until then, we ask that you refrain from posting new threads with NPD info. This will help us bring this agreement to fruition.

Thanks for understanding!

fallout

Hey, great news guys!

I do have a request, since you guys have this dialogue with them and I'm sure the rest of GAF would be interested as well. What are the chances of NPD releasing historical data? Like, stuff that's 10 years or older at this point? I've always wanted to see a free, official archive of that sort of thing.

I guess it might be a bit of a stretch, since they probably still regard that data as valuable, but I'm just curious, really. Still, well done.

aeolist

Banned
Isn't this something that they usually charge a lot of money for? Pretty nice of them to give it away directly.

Pimpwerx

Wow, that is very reasonable on their part. Quite understanding IMO. I guess they figure they can't plug all the leaks, so why not try some damage control at least. A generous offer, considering they owe us squat. And, TBH, this is a good thing since it might help exstinguish some of the flamewars that revolve around these sales threads. The gravy train was gonna end eventually, but this is a nice compromise. Too bad, though, no more crazy buttocks on a train. ;) PEACE.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
thumbdown.gif

I want it all.

Jiggy

Hmm. So basically it ends up the case that we have less than we had, but still more than we necessarily deserve. Very generous; way to go, NPD people. :D

apujanata

bunkum said:
Guess I'm not loved or wanted anymore :(

The only reason I join GAF is because of their complete NPD data. If you wanted to, you can e-mail me ( or other sales-focused poster). If there is any IRC channel I can join to discuss this data, please let me know (through PM), and I'll be there. My US sales data are distressed by the lack of Nov data.

My Japan data is doing ok, with the constant update by M-create, Famitsu & Dengeki (I use Famitsu for S/W and M-create for H/W).

GhaleonEB

apujanata said:
The only reason I join GAF is because of their complete NPD data. If you wanted to, you can e-mail me ( or other sales-focused poster). If there is any IRC channel I can join to discuss this data, please let me know (through PM), and I'll be there. My US sales data are distressed by the lack of Nov data.

My Japan data is doing ok, with the constant update by M-create, Famitsu & Dengeki (I use Famitsu for S/W and M-create for H/W).
This actually brings up a good question. We know who has the data on this board. We also know that going forward, that data cannot be solicited or posted. So will asking for PM's for it be treated the same as for other copyrighted works, such as scans? I know doing that is a quick way to spend some time in bannsville.

Speevy

Banned
We could get bunkum or someone to send a monthly newsletter via e-mail to a select group.

(not an actual newsletter, just e-mail people that are interested)

Speevy said:
We could get bunkum or someone to send a monthly newsletter via e-mail to a select group.

The issue is what site it'd get done through. GAF is clean now!

Yeah, uh, in absence of an official forum policy on the matter I think it might be prudent for people to, uh, not talk about how to get leaked numbers from bunkum in a public forum thread?

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
This actually brings up a good question. We know who has the data on this board. We also know that going forward, that data cannot be solicited or posted. So will asking for PM's for it be treated the same as for other copyrighted works, such as scans? I know doing that is a quick way to spend some time in bannsville.

yes. If people start saying "PM me the numbers" or "PM the totals for ____ in this month" or whatever, it will be treated eventually with bans

Dalthien

Speevy said:

I'd be thrilled if we could just keep getting the general sales ranges (>150k, >100k, >75k, etc.) that bunkum has been giving us the past few months. It could just be unsourced data. NPD doesn't own the right to all sales data, they only own the rights to the specific methodology (and estimation formulas) which they use to determine their sales estimates. Much like Dengeki owns the rights to its own methodology, but that doesn't stop Famitsu or Media Create from developing their own methodology, and yet still coming up with essentially the same sales data. Bunkum could be basing his numbers off of his own channel checks, or extrapolating (much like our beloved Square does with his comgnet data) data from a Gamestop manager that he knows in Iowa, or just making random guesses - and it would all be perfectly acceptable as long as it wasn't the exact same set of data that NPD produces with its own methodology. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with him providing numbers under any of the previously mentioned scenarios.

Just a wild fantasy on my part - but it would be nice if we could find a way to let bunkum (or someone else) at least post general ranges of sales data instead of exact numbers.

Having said all of that, it will be nice if GAF can work out an arrangement with NPD for the Top 20 plus certain other requests and stuff.

fernoca

Really nice..
Thopugh it's kinda obvious..

They are nto getting any money, but the laughs caused by hundreds of replies in those threads by the same "OMG, [Insert company name/game/etc. here] is doomed!!" ..are priceless.. hehehe....

jedimike

Great news! Hardware and Top 20 with the hope of some fan favorite titles (say Okami, Viva, etc.) is good enough for me.

Really, as the consoles progress into new markets, NPD isn't going to be much of a help anyway. Good for some monthly bragging rights, but ultimately we'll have to wait for quarterly reports from the companies to see the real results.

Take MS for example... according to NPD, only about 5 million consoles sold, but MS says 10 mil shipped. Where's the other half of the consoles? Who knows... Canada, Australia, India, Brazil, Singapore? NPD only paints half the picture.

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
yes. If people start saying "PM me the numbers" or "PM the totals for ____ in this month" or whatever, it will be treated eventually with bans
Very good. the more consistant the policies are, the easier they are to follow. Will the ToS be updated to mention NPD, as well as scans, etc?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
jedimike said:
Great news! Hardware and Top 20 with the hope of some fan favorite titles (say Okami, Viva, etc.) is good enough for me.

Really, as the consoles progress into new markets, NPD isn't going to be much of a help anyway. Good for some monthly bragging rights, but ultimately we'll have to wait for quarterly reports from the companies to see the real results.

Take MS for example... according to NPD, only about 5 million consoles sold, but MS says 10 mil shipped. Where's the other half of the consoles? Who knows... Canada, Australia, India, Brazil, Singapore? NPD only paints half the picture.

either on store shelves or Wal-Mart moved an amazingly unproportionate amount of them.

Firestorm

I know it's unlikely, but could you guys try and get some Canadian sales data? Maybe even the LTD a couple of times a year?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ethelred said:
NPD accounts for WalMart and other stores that don't provide data directly.

that's why i said Wal-Mart would have had to sold an immensely unproportionate amount of xbox360s for that to happen.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just an update: sonycowboy has been brought on as a moderator and will be responsible for our relationship with NPD. So don't worry about us fumbling around with what info to request and all that, it's in good hands now.

(Sony GAF bias confirmed! zomg!)

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
EviLore said:
Just an update: sonycowboy has been brought on as a moderator and will be responsible for our relationship with NPD. So don't worry about us fumbling around with what info to request and all that, it's in good hands now.

Well its better now, but I completely agree with what Dalthien said. It would be alot better if bunkum can post the sales data with a range, much like what he did in recent months.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
starship said:
Well its better now, but I completely agree with what Dalthien said. It would be alot better if bunkum can post the sales data with a range, much like what he did in recent months.

But he can't, so that's that.

(And yes, "PM plz" posts will lead to bans)

Rlan

Did we get to request any specific numbers for the November stuff? I don't think I saw any specific numbers afterwards.

I'd love to see how badly Sonic Nextgen did :lol

EviLore said:

Question: we are not liable for any PMs we might have (or might not) sent to him before he was a moderator, correct?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PhoenixDark said:
Question: we are not liable for any PMs we might have (or might not) sent to him before he was a moderator, correct?

Mods don't police PMs period AFAIK, unless your pm was like "GO TO HECK SONYCOWBOY" or something.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Question: Can we have top 10 best selling games per console instead of top 20 overall? This way we can see how any platform performed while if we get top 20 overall (or even top 50 overall) the figures may not show performance of all platforms e.g. there wasn't any PS3 game in the top 20 best selling games in Nov.

EviLore said:

Oh no, now the Xbox 360 will sell only 10 units a month! :lol

Thanks for the update.

EvilLore, anyway you can make this into a triumvirate?

Sony could do Sony NPD
Let me do Nintendo NPD?

Could you make that happen with those fellers? I know you can EvilLore. Cmon...

I got some candy >_>

duk

Banned
EviLore said:

good job!

GhaleonEB

Does that mean sonycowboy gets to set his own tag? :lol

I think having a dedicated GAF rep coordinate with NPD, especially someone who works in the retail industry and is very familiar with NPD, is a fantastic idea. The way this is working out seems to get better and better.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Congrats on the deal to Neogaf and NPD. I get the feeling though, if the NPD group likes how Neogaf handles the information, the NPD group will provide a few more tidbits of information here and there. Maybe, some extened numbers during the holiday season and such.

The agreement is great for Neogaf.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
LanceStern said:

Sony could do Sony NPD
Let me do Nintendo NPD?

I got some candy >_>
HELL NO. ;)

Jiggy

LanceStern said:

Sony could do Sony NPD
Let me do Nintendo NPD?
Worst idea ever. Every time something sold less than 300k...

xaosslug

LanceStern said:

Sony could do Sony NPD
Let me do Nintendo NPD?

I got some candy >_>

if anyone should do Nintendo NDP, it should be jarrod, or Gahiggidy, or marc^o^.

Top Bottom