• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

Chiggs said:
I think it's safe to say that the PS3 is running at lower res than the 360 version, but it's highly probable that it's also using precision lighting and various post-processing effects to compensate.

Both versions are amazing, but the edge will probably go to the 360 because of the DLC. Sound fair?
PS3 has some technical advantages (load times, pop-in etc). I think PS3 now, 360 later.

Yoboman said:
PS3 has some technical advantages (load times, pop-in etc). I think PS3 now, 360 later.
Same thing I'm doing. I'm not paying attention to the bickering over resolution because it ultimately doesn't matter- they both look identical. If the DLC ends up being good, I'll trade in my PS3 copy for the 360 one.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Alright, here's an idea. Everyone type in their preference (360 or PS3). The magic poster that lands on Post #1 of page #100 is the Official GAF Recommended Version of GTAIV. That's how we'll arrive at a consensus. Randomly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
this thread is such a joke once you actually have the game and start playing, all this bickering doesn't mean shit

Chiggs

Yoboman said:

Oh, absolutely. The fact that numerous reviews have stated that the PS3 version seems to look better is proof enough, and that guy in the Beyond 3d thread speculated about it using precision lighting and post-processing effects. Resolution is important, but it's not everything. I still prefer the look of the 360 version of Oblivion, despite that running at a far inferior resolution in comparison to its PS3 counterpart. HDR + AA = win. Just a shame about the LoD. :D

Yoboman

Darunia said:
this thread is such a joke once you actually have the game and start playing, all this bickering doesn't mean shit
Well aren't you special? Damn you, bastard. I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered....And waiting....and waiting :(

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
I'm not sure which version to get. Is there any legitimate reason to get the PS3 version of the 360? I really want an excuse to get a PS3 game (I haven't bought one in over a year), but it seems like everything is stacked against it.

SRG01

BIG BUBBA said:
I'm not sure which version to get. Is there any legitimate reason to get the PS3 version of the 360? I really want an excuse to get a PS3 game (I haven't bought one in over a year), but it seems like everything is stacked against it.

What in the world? :lol

Orlics

BIG BUBBA said:

What is this I don't even

GAF: Where you have to balance your spread of multiplatform purchases

BTW the PS3 version has lots of pros, read the damn thread.

Holtz

Big Bubba said:
Look who's back. :lol

Chiggs

BIG BUBBA said:

What's stacked against the PS3 version? Certainly not the reviews.

Edit: Just glanced at the post history. Whatever.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Why isn't anyone else stating their console preference in a mad dash to post #4951? It's a perfectly stupid way to end this perfectly stupid thread.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Sorry for the massive post, catching up from page 62ish.

andrewfee said:
EDIT: Missed this.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46549
That's a much better example, thanks. I know full well that the 360 output is less accurate – it makes things look too contrasted / vibrant if your display doesn't have the controls necessary to correct for it. I've been saying that the 360 needs a gamma option put in the dashboard for a long time now.
I was going to post this (despite being 30 pages back now). Its good to see its gettingsome use still :)

commariodore64 said:
Nice.

DotCal's past reveals a hankering for 360 bashing...
:lol :lol :lol

h3ro said:
He's getting the 360 version. Put your Fanboy Labeling Laser away.
:lol

Marconelly said:
Yeah, that's true. Actually hard right turns are like kryptonite for some draw-in algorithms it seems.

In fact, all of Dot50Cals gifs with the Tree Of Doom were made using the "hard right" "technique". None of them shows him approaching the TOD straight from the distance.
Face THE TREE head on? Are you INSANE!?!?

CowboyAstronaut said:
http://images.frogthatcanfly.com/gta4tree1.gif[img]
[img]http://images.frogthatcanfly.com/gta4tree2.gif[img]

Ahh so it seems I wasn't entirely crazy?

Would you look at that :D[/QUOTE]
I'll have to check the retail when I get it in 11 hours now, I'm very curious if they modified things from the review build.

[QUOTE=dfyb]wait, you seriously think he [i]created[/i] the pop-in....? what the fuck :lol[/QUOTE]
Wow, some people give me way too much credit.

[QUOTE=TheOddOne]Time for a uber-lol moment

[url]http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=404[/url]

Every freaking line i was laughing:[/QUOTE]
Oh god. They're using my gifs for FUD :(

[QUOTE=Crushed]Sorry it took so long.

[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/10h3sap.gif

(neutral) Vaxadrin
Banned
(Today, 03:02 PM)
Reply | Quote
Another one!

RSTEIN said:
I actually prefer MORE pop-up. It really makes the world come alive... trees sprouting everywhere, new construction projects popping up all the time... new public works projects (parks, railings, trash cans, etc.) always underway. I think the real thing here is the 360 version is built to handle this dynamic, always evolving process that is true to a real city. The PS3 clearly can't handle it.

On page 73 now, will resume the catch up in an hour. God, I hope its not another 10+ pages by that time.

FirewalkR

Yoboman said:

Right now I'm getting the PS3 version mainly because of my friends, and I'm going to get the 360 later probably due to DLC, but it's only because I can (well, I hope lol) afford it. Many people don't. If someone can only get one version, I'd say that if you care about multiplayer, go for the platform your friends have, if you only want the single player, go for the DLC. Tech reasons should come last because there are little differences. If I had to choose purely based on tech, I'd probably go for PS3 despite the lower res, due to the advantages you cited and most reviews I read gave the visual nod to PS3. The reviewers hadn't seen this thread though. :)

Segata Sanshiro said:
MIAMI WICE

NUMBER ONE SHOW
Vandersexxx.jpg

_Angelus_

Banned
Is Walmart or BlockBuster doing a midnight launch?
Or does it depend on your area?

This is GTA so me thinks its big enough to have those two places open so the crazies be running around at the witching hour,right?

And oh,its the Wii version for me. They'd better not sell out,fuckers.

FrankT

BIG BUBBA said:

Balllllllin

Yoboman

BIG BUBBA said:
Who let you back in?

FirewalkR said:
Right now I'm getting the PS3 version mainly because of my friends, and I'm going to get the 360 later probably due to DLC, but it's only because I can (well, I hope lol) afford it. Many people don't. If someone can only get one version, I'd say that if you care about multiplayer, go for the platform your friends have, if you only want the single player, go for the DLC. Tech reasons should come last because there are little differences. If I had to choose purely based on tech, I'd probably go for PS3 despite the lower res, due to the advantages you cited and most reviews I read gave the visual nod to PS3. The reviewers hadn't seen this thread though. :)

This is definitely a determining factor for me. Xbox360 version = more friends, therefore it gets the nod. Also, I will be jonesing for some DLC by the time it comes out.

I get the impression that the PS3 version holds a slight visual edge, but it's not enough to tip the scales.

Plus, I'm not planning to buy my PS3 until the end of May :p

BIG BUBBA said:

Why is this posting here again?

STG!

The first post needs to list all Episode I-V (and future) thread title's. What a great thread to read all day. Tree of Doom!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
BenjaminBirdie said:
I LOVE his outfit. It's iconic at this point, seriously.
VERY iconic. for some reason, whenever i see it i think of obi-wan kenobi's outfit. which is like the definition of iconic.

Banned
BIG BUBBA said:
You didn't get Uncharted!?

As for PS3/360:

I haven't seen tons of pop-in so far on the 360, and certainly nothing that has suddenly popped up in my way. (Though I tend to drive on the roads…) There's a fair amount of ‘fade-in’ though.

Proper 720p is nice, but the game does have quite a nasty ‘dithered’ look to it – particularly shadows and objects in the distance. (The depth of field effect causes it I think.) I don't know if that's exclusive to the 360 one though.

Audio quality is pretty awful, but while Blu-Ray has additional capacity, it doesn't mean it's actually being used. Chances are that the assets are the same.

NolbertoS

This thing is still going?? This thread feels like the day DMC 4 went multi-console and there was 50 + pages of riots of why Capcom backstabbed Sony.

Chiggs

RSTEIN said:
why the fuck arent you people pledging yourselves to the PS3 or 360?

Because a lot of people are holding out for the PC version, which will allow for 120fps and 3x the enemies on screen.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
After all the ignorant shit that has gone on in this thread and people get banned for posting a picture of all things.
This thread is a clusterfuck of stupid. You should either moderate it completely or not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom