• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpudBud

Y2Kev said:
Does Niko's ridiculous 1960s archie bunker jumpsuit not bother anyone else? I cannot wait to change out of it, whereas I usually wear default clothes in GTA. It's...freaking brown and moldy.
What version are you geting Y2?

Salmonax said:
No fair - take the second one at sunset too.
Different time of day lighting aside, you can notice a difference in the aliasing. 360 does indeed look higher resolution, far less visible stepping on hard edges.

FrankT

tfur said:
Just read the thread... it was discussed around the time of the second non pop-up clip...

It was stated that it was not as bad, but did happen. The person said he would post video, but I suggested that it was not needed, and it is not needed.

We have had quite a few reviewers mention pop-in, which is "far less on ps3", or "slightly less on the ps3". I do not think we have a reviewer conspiracy, although I would suggest the review numbers in general may be inflated.

I do think the 630p thing hurts the epenis for some people... but I am amazed that so many sites gave the nod to the ps3 graphically. Again, I do not think there is a reviewer conspiracy on this either...

Related to the graphical nod... I would love to have a game postmortem by the devs, but I do not think they would ever be truly honest about design decisions. There is some talk of a filters being or not being used on whatever version, and there should be more info in the weeks to come...

Just read a half a page back maybe:

schism said:
I have the PAL 360 version and can confirm Tree of Doom does not suddenly grow out of the sidewalk

So, yup.

Tobor

Y2Kev said:
Does Niko's ridiculous 1960s archie bunker jumpsuit not bother anyone else? I cannot wait to change out of it, whereas I usually wear default clothes in GTA. It's...freaking brown and moldy.

1960's, Archie Bunker, and jumpsuit. You managed to fit three things that don't belong together into one sentence.

ypo

andrewfee said:
Couple of pics for you to compare to the PS3 shot posted earlier.

Ignore the moiré, I'll see if I can get my camera positioned better when I take some more.

Pay attention to the car.

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

what's going on with the trees?

Yoboman

Moonwalker said:
Different time of day lighting aside, you can notice a difference in the aliasing. 360 does indeed look higher resolution, far less visible stepping on hard edges.
Different TVs

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gary Whitta said:
I agree. I want to know where I can get one.

check one of those clothes donation dumpsters. in the 1960s.

and crushed if you could stop responding to my posts i'd really appreciate it

Tobor said:
1960's, Archie Bunker, and jumpsuit. You managed to fit three things that don't belong together into one sentence.

They all work together in ways that have not yet been revealed.

And I'll have the 360 version, spudbud.

Raistlin

RSTEIN said:
Ok, here's a serious question (really):

I haven't seen the game with my own eyes on either system. Let's say the PS3 version is indeed smoother and more 'realistic' and more 'dramatic.' The 360 has artifacts, isn't as smooth, and more vibrant colours (according to some).

Why wouldn't Rockstar also downscale the 360 version for it to also achieve the same softer look (that a lot seem to prefer) that the PS3 has? Why make the 360 work extra hard?

(I probably have an ass-backwards idea of how everything works)

I would guess there is more than the resolution at work here. Some are guessing the lighting and post-processing are a bit different between the two revs.

Tobor

Y2Kev said:
check one of those clothes donation dumpsters. in the 1960s.

and crushed if you could stop responding to my posts i'd really appreciate it

They all work together in ways that have not yet been revealed.

And I'll have the 360 version, spudbud.

You never watched the Soprano's, I take it?

Banned
It's now 11am in the game, it's taking ages, I can't be bothered to wait until sunset for you.

As for the trees, I think that's just the difference in the time of day, light coming from a different direction or something.

Salazar

I figure there might be some expertise, if no sanity, in this thread. I'm playing the PS3 version on a 40" Samsung LCD (LA40R81BD). Can anyone recommend settings, because I am worse than clueless in that regard ?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tobor said:
You never watched the Soprano's, I take it?

No, it premiered in 1999 when I was not yet 11 (or maybe I was 11, not sure). I never watched the beginning, so I never really caught on. One day I will pick up the blurays.

tfur

Jtyettis said:
Just read a half a page back maybe:

So, yup.

Whatever dude, I am not going to call out someone else's post. It was here, it was honest, and it was like in the #70-80 pages probably...

Do you think there is a reviewer conspiracy?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Gary Whitta said:
I agree. I want to know where I can get one.
yeah, originally I was wanting the PS3 SE for loligirl. but niko is slowly becoming a pretty iconic figure in the industry just from the past week or so. 360 SE might win in that regard.

Salazar said:
I figure there might be some expertise, if no sanity, in this thread. I'm playing the PS3 version on a 40" Samsung LCD (LA40R81BD). Can anyone recommend settings, because I am worse than clueless in that regard ?

The tv settings?

FrankT

tfur said:
Whatever dude, I am not going to call out someone else's post. It was here, it was honest, and it was like in the #70-80 pages probably...

Do you think there is a reviewer conspiracy?

I have no idea what you are even talking about. Those gifs say enough, not mention the first hand responses from folks here with the retail version. Those vids he took are clear and to the point. Not more to be said, but the TOD is DOA.

Flavius said:
2vm65op.jpg

"You're gonna' see some serious shit."

:lol

Banned
I don't think a 1366x768 panel will accept a 630p signal, you'd better check the specs, usually they only accept 720p.

Obviously this is a joke.

jaaz said:
If it ran at native 1080p, it would default to that (assuming you had a 1080p display). It defaults to 720p because that is the native resolution--the one thought to be the best under which the game runs--and the PS3 defaults to that. By not clicking 720p, you are forcing upscaling to 1080p.

For what its worth, I always upscale to 1080p if the game allows it.

Okay, I'm stupid. Got it sorted now. It's just that the game looks more jaggy then I expected particularly on horizontal lines. But I guess that's the 630p native resolution, huh. I'm going to see what the 360 version is like when it comes later today.

Tobor

Y2Kev said:
No, it premiered in 1999 when I was not yet 11 (or maybe I was 11, not sure). I never watched the beginning, so I never really caught on. One day I will pick up the blurays.

Niko's outfit is straight up russian mob/mafia wear. It fit's the character.

borghe said:
yeah, originally I was wanting the PS3 SE for loligirl. but niko is slowly becoming a pretty iconic figure in the industry just from the past week or so. 360 SE might win in that regard.

I didn't want to say anything because of what a blind and biased Xbot I am, but anonymous hookers come and go.

Niko Bellic is forever.

deadbeef

Is there a gaf consensus on this yet? I still don't know what version i am getting and I sure as hell am not reading thousands of posts

Orlics

Dice Man said:
Is there a gaf consensus on this yet? I still don't know what version i am getting and I sure as hell am not reading thousands of posts

Get it on whichever platform you prefer, which you're more comfortable with, which you think you'll look cooler playing.

Chiggs

Dice Man said:

I think it's safe to say that the PS3 is running at lower res than the 360 version, but it's highly probable that it's also using precision lighting and various post-processing effects to compensate.

Both versions are amazing, but the edge will probably go to the 360 because of the DLC. Sound fair?

deadbeef

Chiggs said:
I think it's safe to say that the PS3 is running at lower res than the 360 version, but it's highly probable that it's also using precision lighting and other post-processing effects to compensate.

Both versions are amazing, but the edge will probably go to the 360 because of the DLC. Sound fair?

pretty much. i made the preorder on 360 based on the fact that my buddy has one as well so i'll likely play some MP with him. and the dlc will be nice too, but i would spring for the ps3 version if it performed better. i think i'll be okay though since i've stayed out of these gta threads and haven't spoiled my ability to enjoy the game by nitpicking it to death.

soldat7

Y2Kev said:

Ever been to Eastern Europe? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom