• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I coming to PC on March 3rd

The Remake is fantastic for those like me who played the game on PS3 back in the day but never again since.

The facial animation improvements during the cutscenes are reason enough for it to exist imo due to the importance of the narrative in the game.

The overall visuals are great as is the improvement to AI.

I hope all the PC folks who’re getting it enjoy it!

Due to how popular the show is at the moment and how great the original game is I think this might be the best selling PlayStation port so far.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I expect around 100k first day peak on steam, what do you guys think?
I don't see it. GOW, Horizon, and Spider-Man are much more PC-friendly and didn't come all that close to hitting those numbers. I can see it reach the 50-75K range boosted by the TV show. 100K would be incredibly impressive and surprise me.

Holammer

We’ve seen from history that there’s a decent overlap between PC players and console players. and TLOU’s been out for quite a while.

probably the 60 -70k range, boosted by the TV show.
The Witcher series boosting sales for Witcher 3 is freaking legendary. It was the top grossing title for weeks on Steam and no doubt saw similar numbers on consoles too, it enjoyed engagement numbers higher than at launch (Peak B is season 2).
A shame they did not have the PC version ready for sale before the series aired, so the spin-off effect may be muted.

Nq6nkWV.jpg

Ozriel

The Witcher series boosting sales for Witcher 3 is freaking legendary. It was the top grossing title for weeks on Steam and no doubt saw similar numbers on consoles too, it enjoyed engagement numbers higher than at launch (Peak B is season 2).
A shame they did not have the PC version ready for sale before the series aired, so the spin-off effect may be muted.

Nq6nkWV.jpg

Witcher 3 wasn’t $60 when the show launched.

ChiefDada

Charged their own base $70, sat around bullshitting trying to justify it only to turn around not even a year's time and give PC folks a discount lol.

They charge higher prices for PS5 players because there is higher demand within that specific player base, i.e. PS players value the franchise more so there is no need to offer sub $70 out the gate for PS5 version. Secondly, Playstation incurs losses on the console hardware so that is additional recovery cost in addition to development costs that will need to be factored into pricing. This is not the case for PC market. Also, Sony is a relative newcomer in the PC market so they are at an early stage where they need to be as aggressive as possible in order to attract PC players to their ecosystem/brand. Finally, they have to adjust to PC market pricing.

[Sigma]

They charge higher prices for PS5 players because there is higher demand within that specific player base, i.e. PS players value the franchise more so there is no need to offer sub $70 out the gate for PS5 version. Secondly, Playstation incurs losses on the console hardware so that is additional recovery cost in addition to development costs that will need to be factored into pricing. This is not the case for PC market. Also, Sony is a relative newcomer in the PC market so they are at an early stage where they need to be as aggressive as possible in order to attract PC players to their ecosystem/brand. Finally, they have to adjust to PC market pricing.
NiftyInfantileDormouse-size_restricted.gif

Ozriel

They’re paying valve 20% - 30% royalties. By your logic, the price should be higher on PC.

I think your last line is apt. They have to adjust to PC market realities.

Gaiff

One minor correction, Sony reported a while ago that they're no longer selling PS5s at a loss. Also, Sony is taking a 20% hit on Steam I believe.
What's so funny? Did he say anything that's outlandish?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

They’re paying valve 20% - 30% royalties. By your logic, the price should be higher on PC.

I think your last line is apt. They have to adjust to PC market realities.

How so? There's really nothing Sony can do about those royalties eating into PC sales margins as they have don't have dominance in PC marketplace. As a newcomer looking to enter and establish presence in a mature PC market, that's ok. Price elasticity is not the same for PS players as it is for PC players; PC players, in general, won't tolerate premium prices . Can't say the same for core PS5 players (myself included), they might bitch about it in forums but most will be there day 1 to purchase.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
One minor correction, Sony reported a while ago that they're no longer selling PS5s at a loss. Also, Sony is taking a 20% hit on Steam I believe.
30%. Probably more.

They told their investors that they made only $28 million selling 950k copies of GOW in the first few months. That should be around $57 million in revenue at full price, but they only got around half of that after retailer cuts.

I am assuming not all of these sales were at full price because of all the cdkey sharing. I for one have never paid full price for a game on PC. I get mine from GMG or cdkeys for around $40. $50 max.

Days Gone made just $22 million from 800k sales.

Horizon sold over 2 million and made just $60 million. As you can see, even just looking at revenues, sony is getting just half of it back. These ports probably cost $4-5 million max so their profits are pretty decent, but in terms of revenue, they get back just 50%. For first party PS5 games sold digitally which 70% of them are, they get back the full 100% as revenue.

Sybrix

The Remake is fantastic for those like me who played the game on PS3 back in the day but never again since.

The facial animation improvements during the cutscenes are reason enough for it to exist imo due to the importance of the narrative in the game.

The overall visuals are great as is the improvement to AI.

I hope all the PC folks who’re getting it enjoy it!

Due to how popular the show is at the moment and how great the original game is I think this might be the best selling PlayStation port so far.

This is me.

Played and completed it on PS3, loved it, havent played it since.

Really looking forward to get it on PC and play it again.

Gaiff

30%. Probably more.

They told their investors that they made only $28 million selling 950k copies of GOW in the first few months. That should be around $57 million in revenue at full price, but they only got around half of that after retailer cuts.

I am assuming not all of these sales were at full price because of all the cdkey sharing. I for one have never paid full price for a game on PC. I get mine from GMG or cdkeys for around $40. $50 max.

Days Gone made just $22 million from 800k sales.

Horizon sold over 2 million and made just $60 million. As you can see, even just looking at revenues, sony is getting just half of it back. These ports probably cost $4-5 million max so their profits are pretty decent, but in terms of revenue, they get back just 50%. For first party PS5 games sold digitally which 70% of them are, they get back the full 100% as revenue.
There's also regional pricing in that. I believe that Steam games are also cheaper in some other countries compared to the US.

Klik

I played it on PS4 & PS5, its absolutely amazing game. I will probably buy it again on sale for PC just because i wanna play it with mouse & keyboard..

ClosBSAS

the game wont sell well....itll probably sell more than uncharted but it will peak at 15k the most. sony games have been on a steep decline lately, lets hope they still release them on pc.

Holammer

How does CD keys work really? Do the Devs see any of the money?
Steam generates keys for free with few limitations. So publishers/developers can sell them themselves like Square-Enix does for example (but few bother with), or via third party stores like Cdkeys, Humble Bundle etc.
Valve earns nothing in the process except for having the game tied to their ecosystem.

danklord

Pretty brilliant launching this on PC March 3rd when the TV series will be in peak hype closing in on its final two episodes
I feel like they whiffed the timing. It should have been available at launch to capitalize on momentum. I think at the end of the season people are either eager to see what happens next in the story or are ready for something else, going back to experience the same story again seems like it's for core fans who would've purchased the update anyway. Everyone was talking about the show during episode 1 and 2.

I wish we could see the Sony store numbers for when the show first premiered.

Have a feeling delaying TLOU to 4 days after Resident Evil 4 remake is not gonna do them any favors.
Shouldve just released it at the start of show.

Hope Im wrong and it'll sell.

Have a feeling delaying TLOU to 4 days after Resident Evil 4 remake is not gonna do them any favors.

I mean honestly I forgot about that but if you gave me the choice for 60 bucks I know exactly what I'm getting.

EDIT: Turns out CD keys has them both for about 40 bucks, so I'm probably going that route for TLOUR, gives me time to finish metro exodus.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm not even a Sony fanboy by any stretch, but it's not hard to appreciate why people are critical of Sony devaluing their brand with PC ports.

At the same time, I know it's a remake but it's still Last of Us 1, a PS3 game. That, and the timing of the show, make it an unusual case.

I agree they should have released it at start of the show for best sales.

But That said it clearly wasn't ready considering they delayed it from start of the month to the end.

Better to not release a unpolished product just to meet a better release date.

So they did the right thing even if it means worse sales intitially.

Last edited:
Top Bottom