• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Question about a shrine quest:

(Zora domain shrine quest spoiler)

So what am I exactly supposed to do here?

https://abload.de/img/2017032119420100-f1c1zju9h.jpg

The quest line said something about laying that to the "feet" of the waterfall (well, actually, the person giving the name to the waterfall), so I did. Nothing happened.

Stab that sucker (the Ceremonial Trident) right into it from the top of the waterfall!

vypek

I seem to struggle to find seeds. I'm getting shrines still at least. I don't mind where my stats are right now though cause I love my armor and its probably enough to beat the game. But feel I should be going around to get the korok seeds so I can have a big inventory too.

The worst is when you have a clear objective in mind and like a 2-3 hours window. You sit down "alright, I'm gonna finish X." 3 hours later you found 10korok seeds, 5 shrines, blown up a half a dozen enemy encampments, and finished a sidequests only to realize the objective you were going to do is still not done. Then you check your watch and realize, oh whoops, you have no time left.

Happens to me each time I play. Especially as I don't use fast travel often.

I beat Zelda last night, after 95 hours and 50 minutes.Today I feel like I have a gaping hole in me. What an outstanding game!

Now, that time is getting all the Shrines, ~215 korok seeds, all 4 dungeons, every quest except for the two Castle quests, and lots and lots of exploration. I figured my time would have been higher.

I didn't fully upgrade all my armor, except for the one I used most. Ideally, I would like to max all of them out, but the endgame was waiting for and I couldn't resist. Upgrading armor and korok seeds aren't enough to keep me playing.

Oh, and quick question about Calamity Ganon.
Does he take more damage from Guardian weapons? In my mind it makes sense, since he's an ancient being, but I don't know for sure.

RRockman

Banned
I was being attacked by one of those annoying Yiga Assasins and you know, wether you beat him with any arrow, beit fire,ice, lightning or even bomb, he just jumps back and teleports right? Well I got really sick of one and I decided to use search an Ancient Arrow on him. He didn't jump back and teleport. He was vaporized instantly.

I was dumbfounded. The last time I remember being able to kill a real life human being in a Zelda game was Majora's Mask. And even then that was a one off scenario. I know it's just a game but I was shook. It was just like that one episode of a certian tv show that recently came back.

I swear, time speeds up when you play this game. I'll sit down to play and explore some of world thinking a hour has passed when suddenly I look up and it's already 3 hours later.

So true, and I thought I had 8-10 hours in the game but I checked the log last night (Wii U) and I'm a few minutes short of 20 hours. I'm the type that generally burn out of single player games fast but this game has me wanting to come back for more just like Destiny did a couple years ago. Every night I plan to shut it off but think "well, I'm just going to do one more thing." And that equals an extra hour and half.

Timeaisis

Happens to me each time I play. Especially as I don't use fast travel often.

Same. I use fast travel as like an exploratory starting point, but if I see something in the distance I usually hoof it on foot because there could be something interesting (and there usually is) between my present location and there and I'd miss it if I just fast travelled to the nearest shrine.

Happened to me yesterday after doing the
tarrey town
quest. There's a bunch of little islands nearby and I took like an hour detour exploring them haha.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So my switch is arriving on Thursday with Zelda. Any tips for starting or getting the most out of this game?
Take your time. Be observant. Feel free to try anything you can think of.

The worst is when you have a clear objective in mind and like a 2-3 hours window. You sit down "alright, I'm gonna finish X." 3 hours later you found 10korok seeds, 5 shrines, blown up a half a dozen enemy encampments, and finished a sidequests only to realize the objective you were going to do is still not done. Then you check your watch and realize, oh whoops, you have no time left.
This is my experience too. I feel like BoTW's gameplay loop is the video game equivalent of browsing Wikipedia or TVtropes.

Peltz

So my switch is arriving on Thursday with Zelda. Any tips for starting or getting the most out of this game?

Honestly, don't listen to anyone or look up anything. Play this game organically and discover everything on your own. Stay away from this thread too.

There's literally no way to play this one "wrong". It's designed for you to discover everything for yourself - and that includes the mechanics/controls. This game is all about discovery, experimentation, and emergent gameplay. So just enjoy poking around because there's always something cool within view.

I am only here because I'm near 60 hours into the game and couldn't stand not having anyone to tell about it. But I'm still amazed by it and am discovering new stuff every damn time I boot up the game.

KayMote

The music in
Gerudo village
really reminds me of Forest Haven from Wind Waker, but I'm not sure if I'm only imagining things.

Also, can you interact in any meaningful way with the one villager sitting on the roof eating watermelons?

Corbec

Neo Member

So much this.

As an aside, is the frame rate poor in undocked mode in the section leading up to the first dungeon? It's the first time I've played in docked mode, also the first significant slow down I've experienced

At the very beginning of the game, you have to find four hidden locations as part of a quest. The game pretty much hands you two of them.

The other two locations, you're completely on your own and get no help finding them.

This is the perfect way to introduce the player to one of the core philosophies of the game:

You're completely on your own!

JakeD

im not sure how anyone plays without googling anything. I've been playing 85 hours, only have half the shrines, 60 korok seeds and 60% of story mode done. And I look up things constantly.

I think it would be a 300 hour game for me otherwise. And that's not even trying to 100% it.

I mean I respect anyone who does it but there would just be so much aimless wandering and fast traveling around

JakeD

It's called exploring :)

I dunno man, that's what Zelda's all about for me. I can't get enough of it.

I get that, I've explored most of the map. I'm fast approaching the 100 hour mark and explore more every day. I'm just not sure how people can get one piece of climbing gear and be like "oh cool, maybe I'll find the other pieces within the next 38 hours or so."

Different strokes I guess

Yukinari

cmEpxw8.jpg

The fruit of my labor using amiibo powersaves.

Didnt really have the patience to get biggoron's sword but all this stuff is good too.

From left to right, Twilight Bow, Sword of the Sages, Goddess Sword, Fierce Diety Sword and Hero's Shield.

Crayolan

I get that, I've explored most of the map. I'm fast approaching the 100 hour mark and explore more every day. I'm just not sure how people can get one piece of climbing gear and be like "oh cool, maybe I'll find the other pieces within the next 38 hours or so."

Why not? You don't need the climbing gear for anything, but if you happen to stumble upon it, that's cool. Never once did I find a piece of armor and then feel the need to look up where the rest of the set was located. Even if I never found the rest, it's not a big deal.

psyfi

Banned

I didn't even know there were other pieces of climbing gear until I found a second one... 38 hours later, haha.
I have all three now.
:)

I guess I don't see the point in looking up info for a game that's meant to be played for a huge amount of time. I'm definitely stumped and curious about times and want to look up info, but I'd rather just let myself be surprised later on. It reminds me a lot of Mario 64 back in the day, which is HUGE praise. It took me years to find some of those stars.

Got a bit bummed out that there's no reward for clearing all (possible spoiler)
the towers
😔😔

Pretty damn satisfying to see the end result though

Ultimadrago

cmEpxw8.jpg

The fruit of my labor using amiibo powersaves.

Didnt really have the patience to get biggoron's sword but all this stuff is good too.

From left to right, Twilight Bow, Sword of the Sages, Goddess Sword, Fierce Diety Sword and Hero's Shield.

Ain't even hating. That's a cool collection! I find that this game is the first out of all Amiibo-friendly titles to actually have a worthy use of Amiibo, so I never went for the Amiibo Powersaves. If I had it already though, I would have certainly used it for some of the exclusives.

Were you also able to get a maxed out Wolf Link from it?

Got a bit bummed out that there's no reward for clearing all (possible spoiler)
the towers
����

Pretty damn satisfying to see the end result though

A full view of the map was enough for me! Hah.

Yukinari

Ain't even hating. That's a cool collection! I find that this game is the first out of all Amiibo-friendly titles to actually have a worthy use of Amiibo, so I never went for the Amiibo Powersaves. If I had it already though, I would have certainly used it for some of the exclusives.

Yeah you can download a file for a maxed out wolf link. My wolf link amiibo has 15 hearts though so i dont really need more hearts.

The Zelda amiibo are just far too expensive right now to justify buying them despite how much i wanted toon link and smash zelda.

Skyzard

Banned
^no clue, just stumbled upon them myself.

=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=--=-=-=-=-

You know that sword, shield and armour you get from one of the
korok forest trials
that's all really low quality... it's pretty unique in the game right?

I don't know what to do with the set. I just hung them up in my house. But now that I think about it, I can just go get it from the same place I got it the first time right? Sort of a waste of 1/3 of the case displays in the house.

I was being attacked by one of those annoying Yiga Assasins and you know, wether you beat him with any arrow, beit fire,ice, lightning or even bomb, he just jumps back and teleports right? Well I got really sick of one and I decided to use search an Ancient Arrow on him. He didn't jump back and teleport. He was vaporized instantly.

I was dumbfounded. The last time I remember being able to kill a real life human being in a Zelda game was Majora's Mask. And even then that was a one off scenario. I know it's just a game but I was shook. It was just like that one episode of a certian tv show that recently came back.

Fuck those guys, they're purpose is to kill you! I feel worse killing the foxes for raw meat.

Btw, I'm pretty sure they die with the other methods too... they jump back and teleport but while they're teleporting you attack them to finish them off and they drop some stuff including some rupees.

Yep. Its just kinda sad to know you'll never have to climb a tower ever again 😔

Peltz

im not sure how anyone plays without googling anything. I've been playing 85 hours, only have half the shrines, 60 korok seeds and 60% of story mode done. And I look up things constantly.

I think it would be a 300 hour game for me otherwise. And that's not even trying to 100% it.

I mean I respect anyone who does it but there would just be so much aimless wandering and fast traveling around

I'm not a completionist and the game guides you to stuff organically. I'm cool with missing things, but it never feels empty.

If you zoom in all the way on the map, different/smaller areas have names. If you go somewhere with a name, chances are, you'll find something. These are not the same names of the broad areas when the map is not 100% zoomed in.

Honestly though, even just wandering around, I never feel like the game is empty. Plus, I only have 60 hours played so far, and I also have 49 korok seeds and 50% of the story done so far. It's really not a game that requires any help.

Crazyorloco

Take your time. Be observant. Feel free to try anything you can think of.

This is my experience too. I feel like BoTW's gameplay loop is the video game equivalent of browsing Wikipedia or TVtropes.

That's a great way to put it. lol I always set myself out to do one thing and end up doing a billion other things or discovering new quests to do.

to anyone reading my post first - there are unmarked spoilers on this page. Beware.

PillarEN

Another northwest question:
I've been quite thorough spending hours looking around but I have no idea where to find the large dragon bones? The blizzards may be hindering me but I think I would have noticed if I passed them.

Edit:
Northwest I mean

Skyzard

Banned
So can not all shields deflect guardian shots, or is my timing just way off today?

Timing is off :)

Apparently guardian shields reflect them automatically but that wasn't working when I did it. Maybe I did it wrong... but not sure how, you just hold the shield out and lock on.

DrArchon

Another northwest question:
I've been quite thorough spending hours looking around but I have no idea where to find the large dragon bones? The blizzards may be hindering me but I think I would have noticed if I passed them.

Edit:
Northwest I mean

They're
in a cave

emb

Yep. Its just kinda sad to know you'll never have to climb a tower ever again 😔
It really is. I love how they set it up so you can see most of them from the plateau. Really feels like a big deal when you make it all the way to one.

Some of them were tough to make it up, too.
Looking at you, that one tower with wizzrobes on the water. Thank goodness for Rivali's Gale though!

Plum

So I've just finished the
Tarrey Town Quest

...what a perfect seque into me finally getting round to finishing what I have left to do in the game. Such an amazing quest, by far my favorite of them all.

Well I finished the main storyline, did not have the emotional type effect other Zelda endings had on me, until I realised this may well be my last ever Zelda game. Must admit I had a total blast, have not had so much fun gaming since the early days of World of Warcraft and it surpasses Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past and The Last of Us as my fave game ever, I just hope the added story later in year is fun. What else can I say, even my ten year old nephew was besotted for the last two weeks.

Finished watching the memories, and I gotta say that I enjoyed the story a lot more than I thought I would. It's a small but personal story, and that's a great way of grounding you in the large and epic world.
The story really isn't about a world ending calamity. It's about the relationship between Zelda and Link. I can see how some people would find that disappointing,
but personally I enjoyed it a lot -- there's a good setup and a good payoff. And anyway, I think the big epic story is actually the one you create yourself by exploring the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom