• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

veeery slowly but surely i'm finding the last shrines ...at this point i lack only 7 of them,but no idea where they are and i'm not gonna use a guide..althugh i decided to use the sheikah sensor

Golnei

I miss the iconic Gerudo theme, but moving away from it allowed them to do some really neat stuff. I felt like that they should have done it with Zora's domain too.

Rito is amazing because you can never have too much Dragon Roost.

I liked a fair bit of the music used for the desert area of the game - the Naboris chase and dungeon music, Kohga's theme and the Molduga boss are some of the best tracks in the game - but the Gerudo Town theme was wholly unremarkable. Gerudo Valley itself probably wouldn't have fit in that context; but I also think incorporating it in some context would have been justified - unlike Zora's Domain (which I agree may have benefited from a new track, even if the existing cover is still pretty good) Gerudo Valley has never appeared in another Zelda game after OoT, despite its popularity and appearances in other titles - which is also why Dragon Roost Island's return worked so well. Given that the Gerudo have also lacked a similarly prominent role in the intervening games, incorporating it here wouldn't have been gratuitous in the slightest - slipping it into the Naboris chase music or Urbosa's theme would have been very effective,for example.

I don't know what the solution is, here. I'm not saying Link has to talk (I wouldn't be opposed to it), but something has to change. Maybe Link should just be an observer in all cutscenes that deal with dialogue. IDK.

I think the solution would just be to make him more expressive. Despite his silence, WW and SS Link was an active participant in conversations due to his extremely active facial expressions and body language; this Link is weirdly stoic outside of gameplay in comparison, even with the backstory in mind.

ag-my001

Just beat the game. I was worried I wouldn't be able to defeat Ganon when my last shield broke and arrows ran out. What a wonderful sound when that Goron voice shouts out.

Finished at 110 shrines, knowing where a few more are located but not how to unlock them. Now that I'm done, I'll look up spoilers. Biggest question (all shrines done related):
is the orb next to Impa for a regular shrine, or is that how you get the 120 reward?

Just beat the game. I was worried I wouldn't be able to defeat Ganon when my last shield broke and arrows ran out. What a wonderful sound when that Goron voice shouts out.

Finished at 110 shrines, knowing where a few more are located but not how to unlock them. Now that I'm done, I'll look up spoilers. Biggest question (all shrines done related):
is the orb next to Impa for a regular shrine, or is that how you get the 120 reward?

Do all the sidequests ;)

Majukun

So I totally understand how the game is a marvel from a mechanics point of view, but it's just not hooking me in yet. I've probably put in about 15 hours and I feel like I could easily just be a random avatar navigating some open world with no real direction to take me in.

Exploring is fine but I still wan't some sort of narrative or emotional thread that pulls me along. Right now I feel like I'm just aimlessly wandering with no real objective.

I say this because a lot of the quests are just "Go find 'X' item and bring it back" and I have no idea where to go to find it. Ironically I know a lot of people are praising this because the game isn't holding the players hand which I can respect but I just feel like I don't know what I should do or where I should be going.

Finally, I've been trying to follow people's advice and just explore and run in any direction to uncover cool things but literally anywhere I go I feel like I don't belong there because I don't have the right equipment (and don't know how to get it) or I'm not strong enough to take on the enemies (I spent 10 min attacking some guy and broke all my weapons and he still had half health -__-)

Not giving up or putting it down since it's the only Switch game I'm playing currently, just hoping it takes an upward swing soon!

game has story bits only in certain parts and are very minimal,so if that's what you are looking for in the game..i suggest you sell the game now that it's still valuable.
still,before going outside the plateau you should have gotten some info about where to go to find the next story bits,and from there the game will more or less tell you where the main objectives are, but the name of the game is exploration...it's normal that you don't know where to fins stuff..explore the world,let it teach you it's rules, and it's location, the game is especially impressive at doing that. you have all the time in the world and no strings attached..hell if you want story,ganon is waiting at the castle,go there and finish the game,if you can.

talking about exploration,you don't "belong" anywhere..there's nothing you can't tackle the moment you are out of the plateau..if you can take an enemy directly,do it undirectly..the game has plenty of ways to deal with hostile encounters,experimentation is the key...if you think something might work,it probably does.
All this running around is making me wish I was running into Pokemon and trainers instead of moblins. Anyone else? I hope they don't just ditch this formula after a single game and use it for something else. A sequel at the very least. We don't get enough on the same generation of Nintendo consoles anymore. ��

oh god now i want a pokèmon game made like this zelda.
also make me use pokèmon outside of battle to solve environmental puzzle

RPGCrazied

That was pretty much how I felt about the ending. Absolutely amazing game but the finale/ending was pretty unsatisfying.
I liked Zelda okay though.

Still think twilight princess has the best story and ending in the series with skyward sword being a close second.

Aye. Main problem for me was how the story was handled. I really don't want to go to specific spots to see the story, and you can even see it out of order. And the weapon system was bad, at least to me. That said, its a great Zelda, just not my favorite. If I had to rate it, probably an 8.5.

Totofogo

Neo Member
I'm a bit let down by
Lomei Labryth... I was expecting a challenge / experience on the level of Eventide Island. I was able to easily run past the main guardian in the foyer, and the map of the maze made it easy to traverse. I saw flying guardians high above, but nothing ever engaged me, thus it was a fairly easy trip. Then the shrine itself was just a handout... did I just get lucky?

Skeletos311

guys, today i played for 17 hours straight, then felt sleepy so i just took a shower to freshen up and i just turned on my wii u to play again

is that normal ?

Sounds like me. Sleepy? No, all you need is some coffee and you're good for at least 5 more hours.

Megatron

guys, today i played for 17 hours straight, then felt sleepy so i just took a shower to freshen up and i just turned on my wii u to play again

is that normal ?

No man, that's really really weird.

You ought to be playing on a Switch.

Aye. Main problem for me was how the story was handled. I really don't want to go to specific spots to see the story, and you can even see it out of order. And the weapon system was bad, at least to me. That said, its a great Zelda, just not my favorite. If I had to rate it, probably an 8.5.

Sure, but then you can rewatch them again in order.

ag-my001

I'm a bit let down by
Lomei Labryth... I was expecting a challenge / experience on the level of Eventide Island. I was able to easily run past the main guardian in the foyer, and the map of the maze made it easy to traverse. I saw flying guardians high above, but nothing ever engaged me, thus it was a fairly easy trip. Then the shrine itself was just a handout... did I just get lucky?
There is a Guardian hidden in there, and lots of treasure on the other side.

When you've reached the shrine,
you can drop down to a room with a bunch of broken guardians, but also 4/5 working ones. I believe the treasure down there has anti guardian armor in it.

Majukun

I'm a bit let down by

the flying guardians are there to not let you just climb on top of that labyrinth and find the shrines doing that, but other than that,it's just a labyrinth with a guardian in the middle..the entire shrie trial consist in reading the map and find the shrine,nothing else.

Totofogo

Neo Member
the flying guardians are there to not let you just climb on top of that labyrinth and find the shrines doing that, but other than that,it's just a labyrinth with a guardian in the middle..the entire shrie trial consist in reading the map and find the shrine,nothing else.

Ah, thanks I didn't even think of that. Makes sense!

I suppose viewing it as just another shrine makes more sense of it, I had anticipated it to be a bit more due to it's scale on the map.

Timeaisis

Even though this is one of my favourite open world games, and the open ended systems praise the openness of the game, there are certain somewhat more linearly designed parts like, before Zora's Domain, Death Mountain and Hyrule Castle that also worked really well with the open ended systems, maybe another Zelda game could take a greater look at that, the older games did do this in many ways too, but without the open systems of BotW.

I really, really, liked the linear parts. I think they have more heft and weight because of the open world. Like you as Link stumbled your way into a problem and had to solve it, but its seamlessly integrated in the open world, it's not like you are starting a segmented "quest" at that point, it's just part of the open world. I think the best example of this is Zora's Domain. Hyrule Castle is less linear, but still has a similar feel of "guided experience", but contained within the open world.

I hope the next iteration they do more of this, because it really stands out and works really well.

Another fantastic segment of the game is
Gerudo Desert
, because it mixed classic Zelda questing and town problem solving with the open world so seamlessly. I loved it.

There is a Guardian hidden in there, and lots of treasure on the other side.

When you've reached the shrine,
you can drop down to a room with a bunch of broken guardians, but also 4/5 working ones. I believe the treasure down there has anti guardian armor in it.

One of the most memorable parts of the game for me is when you pick up said treasure and then
all the guardians activate
. Haha.

watershed

Banned
I'm watching Gamespot's TriForce video series of BOTW and I'm constantly surprised by the creativity in gameplay this game creates. I've beaten the game twice now and I'm seeing stuff I never thought of.

Finally finished the game. Over 100 hours played, all memories and all shrines. Still have around 13 side quests to do so I'll probably come back at some point.

I don't really know how to feel about the game tbh. I think on its own it's an outstanding game that had me enthralled with it's world for far longer than most games could ever hope. But as a Zelda game I really miss the classic formular and whilst going through Hyrule Castle wearing the
tunic of the wild and wielding the master sword/hylian shield
I couldn't help but wish the game provided a more traditional take on Zelda

I guess I see it as a really interesting experiment that ended up creating a potential goty but just not a great Zelda game. I hope the next Zelda goes back to focusing on dungeons and items rather than exploration and the world itself.

Also I think I'm ready for a bit of a darker art style now, something in between Oot and Twilight Princess maybe.

Heh spent some hours looking for the Hebra
skeleton
with zero luck. Eventually I decided to go to the nearby stable to cook some more food, and on my way there I ended up meeting a random NPC that helped me narrow down my search area greatly. Fucking love this game.

Taxman

I haven't looked yet but I'd bet I've put at least 70 hours into this game, and while I love this game to death as a whole, there is one thing that is absolutely ruining the entire thing for me. FUCK PRESSING THE LEFT STICK TO CROUCH. 90% of my deaths come from when I am trying to back-dodge an attack and in the middle of doing so I press the stick just a little too hard and he fucking crouches OH MY GOD FUCK THIS SHIT FUCK WHOEVER DECIDED TO PUT CROUCH ON THAT AND NOT LET US CHANGE CONTROLS AAAAAAADSFKLUANHDSFLADFSHA. I grip the controller hard when I'm playing something intense so it's like this was specifically designed to piss me off over and over again. I'm mainly a Nintendo gamer so having the control sticks be buttons is relatively new to me (I know the WiiU had them but they never were too relevant in any of the games I played), so I've always been ok with my controller death-grip. I've been trying to undo 25 years of gaming history here and re-learn how to properly use thumbsticks but it's just not working.

On the whole I would say this game is possibly my second-favorite game of all time, and I hate to say it but I'm thinking of putting it down for good without even beating a dungeon. I'm going to break my TV or something at this rate. Just died against a
white lynel
on literally the last hit (would have been my first kill too) because he fucking crouched again and I nearly threw my switch into a wall.

CrazyHorse

I haven't looked yet but I'd bet I've put at least 70 hours into this game, and while I love this game to death as a whole, there is one thing that is absolutely ruining the entire thing for me. FUCK PRESSING THE LEFT STICK TO CROUCH. 90% of my deaths come from when I am trying to back-dodge an attack and in the middle of doing so I press the stick just a little too hard and he fucking crouches OH MY GOD FUCK THIS SHIT FUCK WHOEVER DECIDED TO PUT CROUCH ON THAT AND NOT LET US CHANGE CONTROLS AAAAAAADSFKLUANHDSFLADFSHA. I grip the controller hard when I'm playing something intense so it's like this was specifically designed to piss me off over and over again. I'm mainly a Nintendo gamer so having the control sticks be buttons is relatively new to me (I know the WiiU had them but they never were too relevant in any of the games I played), so I've always been ok with my controller death-grip. I've been trying to undo 25 years of gaming history here and re-learn how to properly use thumbsticks but it's just not working.

On the whole I would say this game is possibly my second-favorite game of all time, and I hate to say it but I'm thinking of putting it down for good without even beating a dungeon. I'm going to break my TV or something at this rate. Just died against a
white lynel
on literally the last hit (would have been my first kill too) because he fucking crouched again and I nearly threw my switch into a wall.

Try it on the Wii U. Or another controller.

Just beat the game. What an amazing experience. It's all I've done over the last month (80+ hours). Now I can finally play other games haha!

Amazingly enough, I feel like half the game is still waiting for me, since I've only found half of the shrines. Will be a perfect game to take with me all summer long to mop up the rest of the content when I'm away from home.

Dr.Hadji

Finally finished the game. Over 100 hours played, all memories and all shrines. Still have around 13 side quests to do so I'll probably come back at some point.

I don't really know how to feel about the game tbh. I think on its own it's an outstanding game that had me enthralled with it's world for far longer than most games could ever hope. But as a Zelda game I really miss the classic formular and whilst going through Hyrule Castle wearing the
tunic of the wild and wielding the master sword/hylian shield
I couldn't help but wish the game provided a more traditional take on Zelda

I guess I see it as a really interesting experiment that ended up creating a potential goty but just not a great Zelda game. I hope the next Zelda goes back to focusing on dungeons and items rather than exploration and the world itself.

Also I think I'm ready for a bit of a darker art style now, something in between Oot and Twilight Princess maybe.

For a series where people normally complain that dungeon items have little use outside of their respective dungeon, I would figure a game that constantly reinforces your core items would be THE game that focuses on items.

I'm partial to the rubber suit, myself. Nothing beats luring lightning to your enemies while you stand ther unfazed. It's like Link himself is a ticking time bomb.

Rubber suit sure is convient :p.

Do you need the entire set to be lightning proof? I remember getting the shirt but thats it. Never bothered trying to get struck with it heh.

I do love running around now and being totally immune of the lightning.

is that normal ?

Totally. I think I played nearly non stop during the launch weekend. What an experience that was.

KraytarJ

Finally beat Ganon. 80+ hours, 94 shrines, 125 korok seeds. I might come back to finish up the remaining shrines when some of the DLC comes out later in they year.

Overall while I love the game and it may be my GOTG, I'd have to say it's my #3 Zelda right now behind Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I really didn't appreciate how lacklustre the dungeons are or how little the scenario of the past actually played into things. I guess I should have expected story bits to be very few and far between with a game like this but I was a still a little let down by all the past stuff being relegated to cutscenes. I'd hope the DLC goes more into what happened but I'm not optimistic it will. But of course the freedom allotted this time around along with just how fun traversal and exploring were more than made up for the downfalls I had with the game.

Went to eat breakfast with my family this morning, decided to bring the Switch with me. During the surprisingly short wait for the food, I finally defeated my first Lynel. Felt so good.

Also goddamn I love how seamless it was playing for 5 minutes in the living room waiting for the family to finish getting ready, playing in the car, playing while waiting for food, playing again in the car, and docking it at home before leaving to the dentist and playing in the waiting room. Today felt like one giant Switch commercial lol

Timeaisis

Beyond the painter guy in Kakariko, does anyone else in the game ever hint of nearby Fairy Fountains? I only found 2 so far.

One of them you find during a sidequest and another has an NPC near-ish by who will tell you about it. I don't know about the last one, although I think I recall an NPC mentioning it.

Went to eat breakfast with my family this morning, decided to bring the Switch with me. During the surprisingly short wait for the food, I finally defeated my first Lynel. Felt so good.

Also goddamn I love how seamless it was playing for 5 minutes in the living room waiting for the family to finish getting ready, playing in the car, playing while waiting for food, playing again in the car, and docking it at home before leaving to the dentist and playing in the waiting room. Today felt like one giant Switch commercial lol

I feel like the Switch has totally changed my expectations for console gaming. I love the flexibility of playing docked and then on the go and its something I never thought I wanted until I tried it. Doesnt help that Zelda is surprisingly amazing in short bursts as well.

Dr.Hadji

Finally beat Ganon. 80+ hours, 94 shrines, 125 korok seeds. I might come back to finish up the remaining shrines when some of the DLC comes out later in they year.

Overall while I love the game and it may be my GOTG, I'd have to say it's my #3 Zelda right now behind Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I really didn't appreciate how lacklustre the dungeons are or how little the scenario of the past actually played into things. I guess I should have expected story bits to be very few and far between with a game like this but I was a still a little let down by all the past stuff being relegated to cutscenes. I'd hope the DLC goes more into what happened but I'm not optimistic it will. But of course the freedom allotted this time around along with just how fun traversal and exploring were more than made up for the downfalls I had with the game.

Why place WW so high if you don't like poor dungeons ;-)

Ok beat Ganon. Design wise he was cool AF, but dissapointingly easy. The divine beasts
deal 50% of his health
. And his second form, was just a joke. I really really hope hard mode can make some good changes to the game, it really needs to tweak its bosses

Think I'll need some time to think, but it might be my favourite or second favourite zelda with Twilight Princess infront or behind.

The divine beast dungeons were pretty good (Espeically Nabarou and Rudania) albeit short and not as grandeur as the other top 3D zelda dungeons (Minus windwaker which I think has even worst dungeons). The Overworld was technically a huge dungeon as it had bosses and puzzles and strong enemies as well.

ColdPizza

Banned
Ok beat Ganon. Design wise he was cool AF, but dissapointinly easy. The divine beasts
deal 50% of his health
. And his second form, was just a joke. I really really hope hard mode can make some good changes to the game, it really needs to tweak its bosses

Time to get on with shrines and sidequests.

Heh, had the exact same experience today and feelings.

Megatron

So in Hyrule Castle, I
fought and killed a Lynel. (My first, actually) I'm not planning to finish the game on this visit. I have beaten the divine beasts, but still missing some memories, and want to come back later. Will that Lynel still be dead
?

Ok beat Ganon. Design wise he was cool AF, but dissapointinly easy. The divine beasts
deal 50% of his health

Time to get on with shrines and sidequests.
Yeah, all the story bosses in this game were easy as hell.

Mik2121

So... I believe I found a shrine south of the
Military Training Camp which is south of the Woodland Tower.
I placed a marker and
a few hours later (now) I went there and there was nothing. Can't even see the marker.

Did I go crazy, or is it some shrine that
only shows under specific conditions
?

So in Hyrule Castle, I
fought and killed a Lynel. (My first, actually) I'm not planning to finish the game on this visit. I have beaten the divine beasts, but still missing some memories, and want to come back later. Will that Lynel still be dead
?
No, the blood moon respawns everyone.

Edit: I just beat the game and it is 99.66% complete, my guess is it isn't 100% because I didn't do
the evil statue side quest? Didn't want to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom