• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Next Gen Port/Remaster announced, titled “The Spacer’s Choice Edition”

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
ryan reynolds hd GIF

graywolf323

definitely wasn’t Obsidian’s best work :-/ maybe this will lead to me finally finishing the game though since I fell off of it even with it being on GamePass

ACESHIGH

Banned
OG version was a stutter fest on PC so any improvements will be welcomed. Game was kinda boring though. Are companies going to remaster everything under the sun now? This was also a thing on the early days of the 8th gen, but these consoles have BC now and diminishing returns are a thing...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Give us a lot of new content or GTFO.

99.9% it's just a packaged re-release with the DLC ala Oblivion and Fallout's GoTy versions.

The game also already has PS5/Series patches so there's nothing to add functionality wise either.

Probably gonna be a $39.99 package at most. Any higher will be pointless.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Doesn’t Xbox own the company
They do and I was about to get pissed off at Xbox for this kind of stupid cash grab garbage, but then I remembered Xbox didn't publish this game. Obsidian had a contract with Private Division before Xbox bought them so it's most likely Private Division that's pimping this.

I just hope Obsidian isn't wasting their time doing anything on this when we need them working on Avowed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The upgrades need to be a free update given Xbox's whole 'smart delivery' tactic. Charging for it other wise is odd. Also will this be the new gamepass version?

I think we should keep expectations extremely low as to what this is in the first place. I don't think this is a remaster/remake or anything like that. Just a repackage with DLC.

Doesn’t Xbox own the company

Yes, but Take 2 has the publishing rights for this game.

Last edited:
They do and I was about to get pissed off at Xbox for this kind of stupid cash grab garbage, but then I remembered Xbox didn't publish this game. Obsidian had a contract with Private Division before Xbox bought them so it's most likely Private Division that's pimping this.

I just hope Obsidian isn't wasting their time doing anything on this when we need them working on Avowed.

I am hoping Avowed is more like Grounded in terms of quality/design. I would rather have a painfully inoffensive story than one that is painfully awful like the previous two games they released. PIllars of Eternity 1 is still one of the best modern CRPGs on the market. Not sure how they managed to fuck it up with the sequel.

I am hoping Avowed is more like Grounded in terms of quality/design. I would rather have a painfully inoffensive story than one that is painfully awful like the previous two games they released. PIllars of Eternity 1 is still one of the best modern CRPGs on the market. Not sure how they managed to fuck it up with the sequel.

Really? I’ve always heard the opposite. I couldn’t get into PoE 1..it started good and the amount of backtracking and tedium wore me down. Everyone assured me part 2 was much better

The game was a poorly written, poorly designed mess with some of the ugliest character designs that generation. There is no point in buying this game when there are so many better games out there that do what it did, but far better.
I've played it recently. It had some good ideas regarding actually seeing the aftermath of your choices in some form, similar to New Vegas. The overall story itself though could have been better and the mission design was a bit too repetitive. I think instead of making a sequel, they should have moved things to a new I.P. because the whole 'corporate galaxy vs free galaxy' idea just got old about 8 hours in and it ended up being a bad motivator, because I simply stopped caring after a while. Maybe that's the point, maybe not, but I would rather take a more serious space faring story(similar to early Mass Effect 1 stuff) than what was actually given to us.

Really? I’ve always heard the opposite. I couldn’t get into PoE 1..it started good and the amount of backtracking and tedium wore me down. Everyone assured me part 2 was much better

PoE2 was a bloated mess with a watered down "hollywood" style story full of slacktivist moments. PoE1 felt like a classic CRPG. Simple story and characters, but incredibly well done for fans of that genre.

93xfan

In before the absolute shitstorm about this. We hate remasters and rereleases here.

Fuck you to all that bought TLOUR. This is because of you 🖕
Whole different thing. TLOUR was $70 and was a proper remake and took away many resources that could’ve been put towards a new game.

This will likely just be higher settings. Doubt it affects the development of Avowed.

I've played it recently. It had some good ideas regarding actually seeing the aftermath of your choices in some form, similar to New Vegas. The overall story itself though could have been better and the mission design was a bit too repetitive. I think instead of making a sequel, they should have moved things to a new I.P. because the whole 'corporate galaxy vs free galaxy' idea just got old about 8 hours in and it ended up being a bad motivator, because I simply stopped caring after a while. Maybe that's the point, maybe not, but I would rather take a more serious space faring story(similar to early Mass Effect 1 stuff) than what was actually given to us.

It definitely had good ideas and its actual environmental design/weapon art direction was fantastic. But character designs were terrible, and the story was so heavy handed with its "CAPITIALISM IS EEEEEEEEVIIIIIILL! WHITE MEN ARE MEAN! HOW DARE YOU MANSPLAIN TO ME" style crap it was hard to take seriously. Even trying to just ignore the story to play the game was tedious.

winjer

A remaster, then it's probably just tweaks for resolution, frame rate and some effects.
I doubt there will be anything groundbreaking. But something like DLSS and FSR 2.1 would be nice, and easy to implement, as this is an UE4 game.

Some games should be remastered and remade. SSX Tricky, PS1 era Ridge Racers, Virtua Fighter 3, Socom 2 online.

Unfortunately we get too many POINTLESS remasters, and that’s the problem.

Imagine if games that deserved remakes/remasters actually got them. Games that were good, but not amazing and rushed out the door. Final Fantasy 8, SOCOM, Burnout 3, Quake - now I just made myself sad.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It definitely had good ideas and its actual environmental design/weapon art direction was fantastic. But character designs were terrible, and the story was so heavy handed with its "CAPITIALISM IS EEEEEEEEVIIIIIILL! WHITE MEN ARE MEAN! HOW DARE YOU MANSPLAIN TO ME" style crap it was hard to take seriously. Even trying to just ignore the story to play the game was tedious.

I don’t remember any of that.

It definitely had good ideas and its actual environmental design/weapon art direction was fantastic. But character designs were terrible
I thought the main crew and some select important figures were designed well. I'll agree with you when it comes to random NPCs. You could tell that their hair tech just wasn't up to par and that's why we got the hairstyles that we did and it's a bit sad that was the case, because you could tell some characters were supposed to have longer hair but didn't.

, and the story was so heavy handed with its "CAPITIALISM IS EEEEEEEEVIIIIIILL! WHITE MEN ARE MEAN! HOW DARE YOU MANSPLAIN TO ME" style crap it was hard to take seriously. Even trying to just ignore the story to play the game was tedious.
It was very heavy handed with the capitalism part. I didn't get a sense of the heavy handed 'men suck, women rule, you're mansplaining' part. I'm not sure which moments you felt it was like that. Honestly from what I saw it was more the case that everyone(men, women, aliens, robots) kind of either sucked in personality, sucked in attitude, were so self absorbed, or were so corporatized that they were speaking ads to me, that it all became grating over time. I like capitalism from a theoretical standpoint, but I also understand how bad capitalism can get at times. I do think that some things like the Kylie Jenner pepsi commercial are ridiculously stupid, I do think that corporations, the rich, and multiple parts of different governments buying parts of the moon and mars when nothing has been built yet is quite a ridiculous concept, and I do think that we have reached moments like in The Truman Show where someone will literally advertise something to you in current times directly to your face.

That being said, I don't want to experience this level of ridiculousness over and over from a story standpoint. I get it, no government system is perfect. So when people tell me theirs is, I raise a high eyebrow of skepticism at that sentence because to me it means they've planted a deep flag and essentially wear their government like a sports jersey. Again, I don't want to constantly see this though, and that's where the game lost me at a certain point. After a while it became aggravating background noise to tune out, and that's why I think back about the game wondering if that was a deeper level of making a big point.

anthony2690

The upgrades need to be a free update given Xbox's whole 'smart delivery' tactic. Charging for it other wise is odd. Also will this be the new gamepass version?
Didn't 2k publish this game? Or private division? Or one of the two, I could be wrong as I haven't played it.

If it's 2K I would probably expect them to try nickle & dime, like with GTA5.

Top Bottom