• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Next Gen Port/Remaster announced, titled “The Spacer’s Choice Edition”

DaGwaphics

lol I agree, but who is remaking anything from PS4 or XONE, to PS5 and Series X? lol

Give it time.

I was just taking a cheap shot at the rumors surrounding a new release of HZD, with most of the sites referring to that as a remake. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Robb

I enjoyed this game quite a bit, but I’m not re-playing it if it’s just a visual upgrade. Might jump back if there’s new content.

Really looking forward for the sequel though, they have a great foundation imo.

I think the game was OK, showed some potential! Some cool quests, but ultimately it felt like a poor man's Fallout 4 where they could improve on a lot of stuff in a sequel. Also, it was too short and limited for that type of game. I dunno, I'd give it maybe 75/100?

It was the typical kind of game that I bought, enjoyed somewhat, finished, sold immediately and forgot about without having any desire to ever play it again.

MadPanda

I think the game was OK, showed some potential! Some cool quests, but ultimately it felt like a poor man's Fallout 4 where they could improve on a lot of stuff in a sequel. Also, it was too short and limited for that type of game. I dunno, I'd give it maybe 75/100?

It was the typical kind of game that I bought, enjoyed somewhat, finished, sold immediately and forgot about without having any desire to ever play it again.

Exactly what I thought about it. If they include dlcs on gamepass I'll play them, otherwise I'm waiting for a sequel.

Kagey K

Banned
Since there is already upgraded versions this obviously just includes the DLC.

Unless it has all new achievements I'll pass, even though I liked the base game enough.

Kagey K

Banned
This is insanity with all these remake/remasters. UGH
It makes me wonder how much is Covid related and how many expected these consoles to not be B/C and then said fuck it, even after B/C plans were announced

I know I'm not buying games I xan already play unless the upgrade is significant

Last edited:

Filben

Cool, will hold on with my second playthrough in that case.

It was not the "New Vegas 2" I was hoping for but definitely better than most games that call themselves """RPGs""" these days. TOW has issues but I could look past them for the many things it does get right. Hope they will tackle those issues with TOW2.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Give it time.

I was just taking a cheap shot at the rumors surrounding a new release of HZD, with most of the sites referring to that as a remake. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

lol you wrong for this Da lol

giphy.gif

I don't know who would be the right candidate for a 1 gen remake. I'd say CP2077 as it can make due with next gen features and overhaul enough that we can consider that a remake with enough features added or something, but not a lot of games come to mind.

The most greedy publishers would also want the cheapest fucking route, change a few models, up res, 120 frames and move on or something. The leap is pretty big, but not like PS1 to Gamecube big where you saw those 1 gen remakes like MGS1 or Resident Evil, so hard to say. We'd have to go from like 3D to real life lol, 3D to brain implants imho for us to see some 1 gen remakes at this point.

Regardless, I expect us to continue to see remasters as a new audience will always want the latest and greatest and I remember telling people that BC had nothing to do with this shit lol I don't even know how anyone got in their heads that having BC would mean no remasters and I recall telling people those things have little to nothing to really do with each other.

So expect a AC Unity remaster (needed badly)
KH3, the collection of the collection of the FINAL KEY BLADE edition lol
Hard to say, but maybe Sega might do some mega, mega collection of Yakuzas (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Ishin)
RE collection with RE2 remake, 3, 4 (announces RE1 remake with over the shoulder) lol

So who knows, those are likely players that I feel remade and remastered before, that I see continue that practice for new consumers as its a huge money maker. BC BE DAMNED lol

Nothing short of scrapping every element of the first game would make it even remotely compelling and restarting from scratch. The writing is a complete embarrassment compared to Obsidian's past, and nothing short of bringing people back like Chris Avellone and firing the entire current writing team would help.

GymWolf

I am hoping Avowed is more like Grounded in terms of quality/design. I would rather have a painfully inoffensive story than one that is painfully awful like the previous two games they released. PIllars of Eternity 1 is still one of the best modern CRPGs on the market. Not sure how they managed to fuck it up with the sequel.
It was not only the story, with a bit of exploration to find weapons the game was an absolute cakewalk.

Aso the progression was as exciting as a watching a 3 hours documentary about grilled cheese (with a slight advantage for the documentary)

EDMIX

It makes me wonder how much is Covid related and how many expected these consoles to not be B/C and then said fuck it, even after B/C plans were announced

I know I'm not buying games I xan already play unless the upgrade is significant

Maybe, but I see no evidence that we wouldn't see remasters this gen to suggest this is some random thing. I don't even get this idea that BC was going to stop remasters.

I've said this for many, many generations now....BC has nothing to do with remasters or ports or remakes etc. As a business owner myself, the goal is to make money, its not to merely solve some issue out of charity or something as consider those remasters were not all free or something, they charged money, thus the end goal was always to make money, not to have some BC replacement or some weird shit. Would be like saying McDonalds goal is to stop world hunger.

Does eating food make you full? Sure, was that really the end goal of McDonalds? Well...not really.

Many had this idea that NOT having BC, would make remasters exist, but we've been seeing such things for eons. The ability to play a game, doesn't mean one will not buy some other version that is better or even the same. We've even seen multiple versions of games within a generation, was DMC3 Special edition cause someone couldn't play DMC3 on their PS2? not likely.

PS3 had BC to PS1 even when the PS2 BC Sku of PS3 units stopped being made, you still saw ports, remasters etc from that generation prior. On PSN Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 1,2,3, Parasite Eve 1 and 2 etc exist, yet clearly you can buy and play the very original PS1 versions on PS3.

Consider this....what the fuck does that have to do with Square and Capcom? lol They don't care you can play the original disk, their goal is to sell you the port as what would they gain by NOT having a port on PSN?

Having a PS3 that can play PS1 games, doesn't mean you own all PS1 games, thus....a market still exist to sell regardless if you have the ability to play those games or not.. So this existing isn't a shock to me even remotely, you'll keep seeing remasters this whole gen. Don't think about it like how we as gamers think about, pretend you are EA, pretend you are Capcom, pretend you are a business looking to make money.

Thats how you'll understand why Kingdom Hearts Collection of the Keyblade 4x 10,000 days over Moonfall exist lol

Have a good one Kag.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Already beat the game and both DLCs, the game had flaws for sure but I still loved it. The DLCs are great and really show the potential of this world from a narrative point of view.

I’m more excited about the sequel, the setting has a lot of potential plus I love space in general.

Surprised by how many people summarize the story as « corporations bad », there is a lot more nuance than that once you understand what is happening in this universe.

DaGwaphics

lol you wrong for this Da lol

giphy.gif

I don't know who would be the right candidate for a 1 gen remake. I'd say CP2077 as it can make due with next gen features and overhaul enough that we can consider that a remake with enough features added or something, but not a lot of games come to mind.

The most greedy publishers would also want the cheapest fucking route, change a few models, up res, 120 frames and move on or something. The leap is pretty big, but not like PS1 to Gamecube big where you saw those 1 gen remakes like MGS1 or Resident Evil, so hard to say. We'd have to go from like 3D to real life lol, 3D to brain implants imho for us to see some 1 gen remakes at this point.

Regardless, I expect us to continue to see remasters as a new audience will always want the latest and greatest and I remember telling people that BC had nothing to do with this shit lol I don't even know how anyone got in their heads that having BC would mean no remasters and I recall telling people those things have little to nothing to really do with each other.

So expect a AC Unity remaster (needed badly)
KH3, the collection of the collection of the FINAL KEY BLADE edition lol
Hard to say, but maybe Sega might do some mega, mega collection of Yakuzas (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Ishin)
RE collection with RE2 remake, 3, 4 (announces RE1 remake with over the shoulder) lol

So who knows, those are likely players that I feel remade and remastered before, that I see continue that practice for new consumers as its a huge money maker. BC BE DAMNED lol

Obviously, as long as the $ work out the train will keep on rolling. I've just always found it crazy when you start getting 3 or 4 skus of one game going. LOL

Look at Skyrim, you can practically fill a bookshelf with those. The only way BC would have stopped this is if the availability of the old version dulled sales on the rereleases. Remakes for anything Xbox/PS2 or older I don't have a problem with, ps360 on it is really not needed, do a remaster and be done with it. LOL

In a perfect world most of the "remasters" would just be enhancement patches for the existing skus (like Capcom did with the RE games).

Last edited:

WoJ

Only reason I'd buy this is if I can get it with the DLC for $20 since I never picked up thr DLC. Even then I'll probably just buy the DLC before they delist it than support these shitty remake everything that's less than 5 years old practices.

ungalo

Why some people are talking about a remake when the title says remaster ?

And even the term "remaster" refers to a next gen port actually. A lot of games did that without most people even noticing, i doubt it takes significant resources.

Otherwise i completely disagree with people saying the writing of this game is bad. I don't see how it's bad. Sure the companions are not really fun, but this is what TOW world is about and how the game is written, you're basically the only one that can actually consider how this world is so fucked up and act accordingly. Usually it's a problem in every RPG, the world seems so fixed and it's immersive breaking how you are the only one to actually do something but here they're going meta with it.

The real problem for me is that it feels like half a game. In content and quests especially but it also hurts the gameplay when the character progression feels so rushed.

EDMIX

Why some people are talking about a remake when the title says remaster ?

And even the term "remaster" refers to a next gen port actually. A lot of games did that without most people even noticing, i doubt it takes significant resources.

Otherwise i completely disagree with people saying the writing of this game is bad. I don't see how it's bad. Sure the companions are not really fun, but this is what TOW world is about and how the game is written, you're basically the only one that can actually consider how this world is so fucked up and act accordingly. Usually it's a problem in every RPG, the world seems so fixed and it's immersive breaking how you are the only one to actually do something but here they're going meta with it.

The real problem for me is that it feels like half a game. In content and quests especially but it also hurts the gameplay when the character progression feels so rushed.

Trust me, they know what they are doing talking about "remake" even with a clear title. They got some other thread to like 15 pages doing all this concern crying lol We literally seen games get remastered after 1 year, anyone trying to pretend the latest remasters are some big new thing are cherry picking when they want to be "concerned".

As for the story, I never really had much of an issue with it, even if I didn't like it. I think the foundation exist for a great RPG so I'm more hype for a sequel and can give this title a pass for a new IP.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Will definitely give The Outer Worlds a second chance if the Series X version is in Game Pass.

Take Two Interactive owns the publishing rights for the game and can re-release it every year if they want to.

If it's a rerelease with all the DLC, I would play it if the new version were on Game Pass, since I liked the game fairly well and I've heard the DLC is quite good. I sure as hell wouldn't buy it a 2nd time though.

Bridges

Excellent news. Outer Worlds was unfairly shit on and is an excellent game.

For fans of the game, there is a 'secret' mode that you can play the game in. If you follow the narrative that your character is a murderous psychopath (the Prof/Dr talks about this often) you can kill every character in the game.

The skill tree is even set up to play as a solo maniac. Try it, it's great fun gunning down everyone you come across, especially when you don't have to listen to NPCs asking you for shit. Just gun those fuckers down
This is how I played and it was glorious. I actually didn't get all of the companions because I had apparently killed one when I decided to slaughter an entire town before talking to anyone there. I loved that the game let me do that. I was a despicable piece of shit psychopath and the game would always "Yes and" me into being able to complete the story.

The constant moaning about this game's supposed wokeness makes me feel like we played different games.

Drizzlehell

How was people's reception for this game?

I thought it was kinda shit, surprised of it getting remastered.
Dunno about others but I rather enjoyed its main gameplay loop. Though I felt like the story was a bit forgettable beyond the first hub area and some of your companions.

This is how I played and it was glorious. I actually didn't get all of the companions because I had apparently killed one when I decided to slaughter an entire town before talking to anyone there. I loved that the game let me do that. I was a despicable piece of shit psychopath and the game would always "Yes and" me into being able to complete the story.

The constant moaning about this game's supposed wokeness makes me feel like we played different games.
100%. The people who complained about it being woke must have played it like woke fannies. Playing it like a psychopath was amazing.

Havoc2049

I thought The Outer Worlds was a solid RPG, but not great. I didn't like how preachy and woke the writing was, with the capitalism is bad and males are weak narratives being pushed. The game developers weren't subtle about their politics either, thus most storylines were very predictable and boring.

bbeach123

One of the most dissapointed game I ever played , the first 5 hours was so good I literally cried (jk not really), but it going down hill from there . After 20 or 30 hours I just said fuck it and delete the game .

They tried too hard to be funny . They failed .

The gameplay , progression system and balance had so many problem , but the writing and NPCs nail in the coffin for me. Fallout 4 npcs was better than this ,and it say something .

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Folks can often be weird. "wahmen with short hair and no DDD boobs ? must be a woke game"
You don't need to go that hard to stick up for it now that MS owns them.

The collage says it all. The men looked fine, the women looked like fugly men.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You don't need to go that hard to stick up for it now that MS owns them.

The collage says it all. The men looked fine, the women looked like fugly men.

The fact that you posted that collage just proves my point, no sticking up necessary :messenger_tears_of_joy:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Is it just the game bundled with the dlc? Any enhancements? I played it for a few hours on PC. It was alright. Might give it another go at some point.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Allow me to sum the game up:
- capitalism = evil
- corporations = evil
- rich people are all sociopathic narcissists who care only about their own status and public image
- women are all ugly, tough, and masculine
- men are all either evil or beta males
- the only hint of any genuine human affection and goodness in the entire game comes from Parvati, an asexual lesbian who explains her lack of desire for sexual intimacy to you at length. Her companion quest is about

she has a crush on some engineer lady, but she’s afraid to ask her out because engineer lady might not be okay with no sex. You give her encouragement, she asks the lady out, and it all works out just fine with no problems or conflicts whatsoever.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
- capitalism = evil
- corporations = evil
- rich people are all sociopathic narcissists who care only about their own status and public image
- the only hint of any genuine human affection and goodness in the entire game comes from Parvati, an asexual lesbian who explains her lack of desire for sexual intimacy to you at length. Her companion quest is about

she has a crush on some engineer lady, but she’s afraid to ask her out because engineer lady might not be okay with no sex. You give her encouragement, she asks the lady out, and it all works out just fine with no problems or conflicts whatsoever.
i'M sUrE tHaTs tHe oNlY tHiNg
gene wilder GIF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
- capitalism = evil
- corporations = evil

Oh shit. Nevermind then. I'd rather mod New Vegas again and play that.

No Thank You Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom