• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things you went overboard doing and wasted money on

So what things have people got into and went a little overboard with, and wasted a heap of money on?

I got into Chinese hifi headphones and earphones and thought I was a bit of an audiophile. I ended up buying over 70 different headphones and earbuds because the were pretty good value. Not sure what I am going to do with them now.

I also got into optical media burning and bought a shit ton of quality blank media. Taiyo Yuden, Mitsubishi, Sony etc.
I have over 1500 blank DVDs and CDs sitting in my cupboard that I will never use.

What stuff have you gone a little retard on?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I have every special edition Switch and Joy Con color that has been released in the US.

giphy.gif

CGNoire

Synthesizers . I romanticized heavily for decades about analog synths so of course when i finally started making music i had to go fully dawless and collect a bunch of overpriced analog gear only to quickly find out how purposly held back and feature light the hardware synth industry is. Compared to a $12 app on my phone shit is always far less versatile and more tedious to setup and use. Dont get me wrong it feels awesome playing on real hardwars but the shortcomings hold it way back for me exspecially once I realized how good some VA synths sounded near the real thing. Should have saved money and just gone with a highend midi Keyboard controller and ableton instead. In the meantime anyone interestested in an overpriced Microbrute ;)

Last edited:
I have probably a thousand Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars I bought to use on my track. I wanted 1028 to do a big tournament but I couldn't keep track of that many in the space I have. I was spending $5-$10 a night shopping but I had fun doing it and seeing how fast the new batch would be.

I bought a bunch of new vinyl records from Target and Wal-Mart to go with my crappy $60 record player. At least I discovered Lady Gaga's Chromatica album and subsequently the rest of her music. I can't imagine not being a fan! Oh and a ton of $2 albums from Goodwill, Jesus.

I've been buying PS4 disc games like a madman. GameStop ran a 4 for $40 on $20 and under games and 4 for $20 on 9.99 and under games and I spent hundreds of dollars. I've been in a bit of a rut deciding what to play next after playing two brutally hard games in a row: Super Monkey Ball the Wii game remake which I got the end credits on but eventually said Fuck this with a handful of extra stages left. Crash Bandicoot trilogy remake I abandoned 25% into the first game. Holy shit is that game hard for me. I didn't get rid of it because I might give it another go even if I have to watch YouTube videos of every stage to clear it.

My room is a mess of stuff lol

Ugh. Back when I was able to work I bought this really uncomfortable sectional sofa from Target for like $1000 after all the pieces and two ottomans. It just has clothes piled all over it now. I just wanted to get something from Goodwill but my mom was like nothing from Goodwill (yeah I still live with my parents. stupid health).

Oh dear. Unopened boxes of baseball cards from 2019-2022. I eventually got fed up with the luck I had with Topps Update this year. I bought 27 boxes and didn't get one card to cover the cost of any of them ($13 retail boxes and one hobby box $120). The autograph I got is of a 27 year old guy who has hit well under .200 in the brief appearances he's made in the big leagues. So like $500 worth of cards and nothing to show for it pretty much.

About $30 a week at the bowling alley the last few months to play the arcade even though my favorite game is always out of service. I have a lot of time to fill so at least it's getting me out of the house. I miss my favorite ticket game maaan. The next best game (skee ball) gives me like 1/6 the amount of tickets. And the basketball is way overpriced but I play it most days. 85 credits are $30, it costs 6 per game.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Fucking Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I went balls deep into sealed product and singles to diversify my investments when I was still in highschool, but it was before I realized that Magic and its older sealed product was a bit more stable in the long run. Luckily I was able to make out roughly even in the end and put that into older MTG sealed product while avoiding singles before some of the older boxes spiked. I have basically quintupled my original investment overall last time I checked.

Thanks younger me. You optimistic and too good for this world fucking nerd. 😤

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My bluray collection. I have a ton of standard and UHD blurays. Lots of boxed sets, steelbooks, etc. I've probably only watched half of them. I eventually stopped after picking up a huge batch over the holidays 2021 (around five standard, three or four UHD), and by spring of 2022 I realized that I hadn't watched any of them and was in no particular rush.

At least it was a cheap overboard - they go on sale so often at Best Buy that I was probably averaging only around $12 for the standards, maybe $15 - $18 for the UHD's.

k_trout

Synthesizers . I romanticized heavily for decades about analog synths so of course when i finally started making music i had to go fully dawless and collect a bunch of overpriced analog gear only to quickly find out how purposly held back and feature light the hardware synth industry is. Compared to a $12 app on my phone shit is always far less versatile and more tedious to setup and use. Dont get me wrong it feels awesome playing on real hardwars but the shortcomings hold it way back for me exspecially once I realized how good some VA synths sounded near the real thing. Should have saved money and just gone with a highend midi Keyboard controller and ableton instead. In the meantime anyone interestested in an overpriced Microbrute ;)
I hear you, and i am currently drooling over this...want so bad

11AnnPO.png

I forgot about my Squishmallow collection that's like 30 strong at this point :) They were all bought for snuggling purposes :eek: but many are just sitting in a hamper taking up space. man I need to clean my room

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's so dumb though, bro bro.
It 100% is dumb as all fucking hell, but I will not question the fact that the mountain of Innistrad booster boxes I bought over ten years ago for relatively nothing is now.....

*literally checking the price right now*

Over $600 per god damn box :messenger_tears_of_joy:

200w.gif

Last edited:

MikeM

Long time ago: installed a b16b type r civic motor into a EK body civic coupe. Wasted like $4k CAD which was a lot of money a long time ago.

Recently: my 7900xt PC. Upgraded from a 6700xt when that card was perfectly fine. I think I spent $1k CAD after selling my 6700xt that was two months old. Also, double dipped COD MW on PC and PS5 because stupid.

thefool

When I was young I bought a ton of dvds. Looking back it wasn't a very smart financial decision, but i most definitely wouldn't call it wasteful as I absolutely loved the collecting aspect (and i loved watching what i bought).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wouldn't call it a waste as I can sell them again - and will - but two signed Tool posters from eBay ran me a cool $750 and those were the CHEAP ones.

GeekyDad

I think I went a little overboard on acoustic guitars a couple of decades back. Was making a little money finally, and spent thousands on high-end guitars. In the end, I ended up keeping just the Larrivee OM, which was a relatively inexpensive guitar compared to the rest. My wife still likes to use that ammo against me pretty often.

feynoob

Before I went full pc/console gamer, I used to spend money buying a specific mobile game account.
Every paycheck I used to spend from $10 to $50 buying these accounts, which become useless for me.
Total spend during that time was around $1k+.
Then I went a head and spent $1k on 2 laptops in 2 years (Both become useless after that), when a simple PC could have saved me alot of money.

I was stupid back then.

Nankatsu

Gacha games.

A cheap pack here, and a cheap pack there, before you reaIize it you're in the loop and spending money for nothing more than a digital collectable that when the game ends, it's not even yours.

But I'm better now.

Nicholas Cage Smiling GIF

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Gaming in general has been a huge financial black hole and timesink. All the PC parts, all the consoles, all the accessories, all the electricity and wasted time ... across decades, yeah that's my personal pick. Fun though.

Dr.D00p

Retro Gaming...and this was when buying the stuff was cheap back in the 2003-2010 period, before all the profiteers moved in and spoiled it for everyone.

Had large collections of consoles and games, Dreamcast, N64, (OG) Xbox, PS1, PS2, Saturn, Gamecube.

Spent more time stressing out on choosing what to play, than actually enjoying any of them, but they sure looked & sounded nice, running on my Panasonic 32in Widescreen Dolby Pro Logic CRT.

Last edited:
I love my PC but there is no denying that I went overboard and wasted money. I could've bought a more reasonably spec PC for cheaper but I wanted to go all out as much as possible.

My PC as it currently stands I spent about £3,600 on building it and I plan on upgrading the CPU/motherboard/RAM/SSD soon which will likely be another £1.5-2k.

If I take into account the amount of money I've spent on my PC over the last 7 years it's probably close to £10k. When I upgrade I sell the old parts to recoup some of the cost but I can't be arsed figuring all that out. I suppose £8k is a more realistic figure.

so about i've spent roughly £1-1.5k/year on my PC for the last 7 years.

Last edited:

Tams

Convenience stores in Japan.

Coffee. And now all instant coffee tastes like utter shit, so I'm hooked into the quality stuff. I'm literally a drug addict.

Oh, I forgot: smartphones. For some reason I lust after and buy them. And while useful tools, I can only really use one at a time. They have also gone up and up in price. I have a Fold now which is great, but damn was it expensive. And I have a drawer of smartphones (several quite recent), many of which have dead dead batteries.

Last edited:

Dark Star

i spent 340 dollars on a longboard/skateboard and it was honestly a great investment. it's brought me countless hours of enjoyment in the sun, skate parks, around town. it's a wonderful dancer board with the best trucks/wheels/gear on the market...

is that a waste of money? heck no. you know what is and isn't at satisfying? spending like 40 bucks on a steak meal that will be devoured in minutes lol. i think food is probably my biggest and most lame expense. i take my friends and family out to dinner at fancy restaurants and the bill is not so nice to my wallet. There are weekends where I wish I just stayed home and cooked up some chicken breast and rice instead haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom