• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Wouldn't that be the definition of unrealistic standards, then?

Good point but I seen good shows and movies that are left leaning that are actually well done and not preachy.

I have the same issue with shows and movies that are far right. But I'm fine with watching right leaning shows

Doom85

Chloe Sullivan really needed to get saved am I right? :p

Tom Hiddleston What GIF

I mean, she (as in the character, not the actress) was still my #1 crush on the show when I watched it back in the day. Better choice for Clark over Ms. Lana “Clark, we’re not even dating yet, but I refuse to let you keep anything in your life a secret from me!“ Lang as well in the pre-Lois seasons IMHO.

Tom Hiddleston What GIF

I mean, she (as in the character, not the actress) was still my #1 crush on the show when I watched it back in the day. Better choice for Clark over Ms. Lana “Clark, we’re not even dating yet, but I refuse to let you keep anything in your life a secret from me!“ Lang as well in the pre-Lois seasons IMHO.

I never watched the show but I still have a crush on that Actress. But she did do something terrible later in life and I hope she got some consequences for what she did. It just amusing to hear the Smallville theme song and it being called save me. Like she ain't need saving, the people that need saving are those poor girls she tricked in joining that sex cult

Last edited:

Doom85

I never watched the show but I still have a crush on that Actress. But she did do something terrible later in life and I hope she got some consequences for what she did. It just amusing to hear the Smallville theme song and it being called save me. Like she ain't need saving, the people that need saving are those poor girls she tricked in joining that sex cult

The show had a lot of flaws but there was some cool moments and a lot of the cast was great. Especially Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor, as he nailed the evolution of the character from a supportive yet questioning friend towards Clark towards something darker due to various negative influences in his life and other circumstances.

The show had a lot of flaws but there was some cool moments and a lot of the cast was great. Especially Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor, as he nailed the evolution of the character from a supportive yet questioning friend towards Clark towards something darker due to various negative influences in his life and other circumstances.

Yeah it's on my to watch list

DadEggs

Finally started peaky blinders. On s3 e1

Digging it so far. Love the seasons are so short. Once i realized they were all 6 eps ea. the big and frequent time jumping made sense

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
watched Boo, Bitch on Netflix. also the new Resident Evil. god that was hard to get through.

Finally started peaky blinders. On s3 e1

Digging it so far. Love the seasons are so short. Once i realized they were all 6 eps ea. the big and frequent time jumping made sense
such a good show. S4 is when the show moves to a new level. the story itself goes in a kinda new direction and it seems S4 is when the show got a lot more popular. S5 is another step up and S6 is just as good. it had me hooked right until the very last minute of the last episode.

i watched every episode as it aired so at times i felt confused between seasons as sometimes it was a 2-3 year wait. i really need to go back and binge watch it. i think it's good you're watching it now all the episodes are out so everything will be fresh in your mind.

enjoy :D

watched Boo, Bitch on Netflix. also the new Resident Evil. god that was hard to get through.

such a good show. S4 is when the show moves to a new level. the story itself goes in a kinda new direction and it seems S4 is when the show got a lot more popular. S5 is another step up and S6 is just as good. it had me hooked right until the very last minute of the last episode.

i watched every episode as it aired so at times i felt confused between seasons as sometimes it was a 2-3 year wait. i really need to go back and binge watch it. i think it's good you're watching it now all the episodes are out so everything will be fresh in your mind.

enjoy :D

Orgy episode is best Peaky Blinders episode 😏

jason10mm

I really enjoyed it all the way till the very last couple of scenes which really pissed me off.
*major spoiler*
The last name being Ben meant that the entire fucking season of them tracking down these guys was undercut because one of the team pretty much knew the whole time but only gave up the info as the others figured it out. Was a really shitty way to end the show
But Ben hoped he could stay unknown and deliver up everyone else as payment to Reese. Remember, Ben thought Reese was already a dead man walking, so vengeance was his only option. It is a very different ending than book Ben though, more melancholy. Hardin was much less of a cackling evil Hillary clone as well.

poppabk

But Ben hoped he could stay unknown and deliver up everyone else as payment to Reese. Remember, Ben thought Reese was already a dead man walking, so vengeance was his only option. It is a very different ending than book Ben though, more melancholy. Hardin was much less of a cackling evil Hillary clone as well.
Ben could have achieved that by just finding a 'secret file' that detailed the entire thing. Instead he supplied most of the information but only as they came upon the links. Basically the entire progression was artificially gate kept by him.

jason10mm

Ben could have achieved that by just finding a 'secret file' that detailed the entire thing. Instead he supplied most of the information but only as they came upon the links. Basically the entire progression was artificially gate kept by him.
Yeah, true. Iforget how nefarious he was in the book versus the show but my only guess is that he figured Reese would drop dead any day now, plus he himself wanted a little payback for Lauren and the kid, so he was willing to follow Reese down the bread crumb trail to at least the sicarios, but as semi-actively trying to preserve the big league players so Ben himself wouldn't have to bail out. But once it got to killing Horn Ben knew he was toast regardless and was just hoping to get away clean. I'm listening to Jack CArr's podcast discussin gthe show soI hope they elaborate on the changes to Bens storyline. They are dancing around Katie/Constance Wu but I actually think she did a pretty good job, though I don't see how they bring her and Reese together knocking boots in quite the same fashion.

clarky

I really enjoyed it all the way till the very last couple of scenes which really pissed me off.
Agreed, they should have left the last name on the list a blank for season 2, they way it went undermined the whole show. Still enjoyable enough tho.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
We Own This City. Just finished this 6 episode excellent show.
Yea this is hands down the best TV we've gotten in a while, and nobody is talking about it, which is probably why good TV is so hard to come by sadly (╥﹏╥)

Aside from White Lotus, WOTC, and Dopesick, it's really hard to find good shows lately I feel

I been watching
Yqlr8pm.jpg

Really not that great but it's about the making of the godfather which in itself is fascinating

Last edited:
Yea this is hands down the best TV we've gotten in a while, and nobody is talking about it, which is probably why good TV is so hard to come by sadly (╥﹏╥)

Aside from White Lotus, WOTC, and Dopesick, it's really hard to find good shows lately I feel

I been watching
Yqlr8pm.jpg

Really not that great but it's about the making of the godfather which in itself is fascinating

You mean shows with hardly any political agenda 😜

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Caught the first two episodes of the new season of Reservation Dogs

Still great, still funny. Unlike the first season, which was largely comedy as they built up to an emotional and dramatic ending, they're immediately mixing the drama with the comedy this season.

This is really good. It's the best TV show I've watched lately that wasn't one of the new high budget (for TV) Disney/Amazon/Netflix/HBO extravaganzas.

This show came out of nowhere and it's one of the best I've seen. This poster doesn't exactly do it justice:

1-108.jpg

Started watching it because Mike from RedLetterMedia mentioned it being good, and that barely anyone is talking about it. He's right on both counts.

The Catholic Church has half a million requests for exorcisms in their backlog, and they need a team to help evaluate whether they're real or fake possessions before going in. The show follows that team of three: two skeptics and one priest-in-training.

It's like a combination of the best parts of The Exorcist, The Conjuring, Mindhunter, and The X-Files. And it's not afraid to be weird. The tone can go between serious, funny, satirical, dramatic, and--most importantly--scary and pull them all off, in my opinion. One episode focused around VR has genuinely some of the most unsettling scenes I've seen all year, movie or TV.

It's on Paramount+. Probably why no one knows about it.

If a combination of religious horror/procedural/psychological thriller/great characters & banter sounds appealing--it might be worth looking into.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Five Days at Memorial - the writers really did their research on this. It is very authentic to how hospitals deal with possible disasters. Felt like being back at work during a hurricane. Unfortunately the show itself is, like so many of these Apple+ shows, too slow and melodramatic.

91C0LVL2CLL._RI_.jpg

Lots of low IQ characters, women who act like men, and everyone's clothes look like they still have the tags on.

- 700/10

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Been catching up on The Righteous Gemstones. Danny McBride has been making some of my all time favorite comedy drama shows. I love this guy.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F05%2Fthe-righteous-gemstones-hbo-official-teaser-trailer-00.jpg

Also watched the first few episodes of the latest Stranger Things but I feel like I was done with it two seasons ago. So try-hard fake 80s it borders on parody without being funny.

GeekyDad

We finished up Endeavor and tried a couple of other things. So far, no luck, really. Was gonna check out Hanna, but after watching the trailer, I think that's a no-go for me. I tried Billions -- <throws up in mouth a little>. We tried Downton Abbey. Didn't know it was gonna be a straight-up, disgusting soap opera, albeit great sets and acting.

Anyone got any good suggestions?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I just finished True Detective season 1, and I loved every minute of it. I've heard good things about season 3, but is season 2 really as bad as people say? No spoilers please.

There's only three reasons to watch season 2:
  • Colin Farrell's performance is good, even though the writing of his character is crummy
  • Rachel McAdams's healthy cheeks
  • Watching s2 will remind you that some TV is so awful that by the time you watch season 3, which is merely good-not-great TV, it will feel much better than it actually is

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
New ep of Reservation Dogs dropped. First they had a reflective episode with Bill Burr, now they snagged Marc Maron in a role that seems perfectly fitting for him. Loving this show.

Rengoku

Upright - Fantastic mini series. Hugely underrated imo. Feels like a 4 hour movie. Glad someone recommended it on the HOTD thread. The actress Milly Alcock did a fantastic job. This show is probably why she got cast in HOTD.

FatbtDDXEAAeXZV

sol_bad

Finished season 1 of The Bear. Yeha, it's a great show and can't wait for the next season.

Jeremy Allen White is amazing as the lead (Carmy) and I can't wait to see Ebon Moss-Bachrach on Andor, I hope his role is significant. Even Ayo Edebiri was great as Sydney. They all are very talented.

Christopher Sorer is a great director too. The second last episode is only 20 minutes long but it's a single 1 take episode. It was intense as hell.

Almost finished with The Sandman. Certainly my favourite show this year on Netflix. I'm very impressed by the performances, especially by Tom Sturridge. Visuals are amazing, I especially loved Episode 4 so far. So many awesome scenes.

Very immersive show, incredibly easy to binge and get lost in it as well.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I decided to do a rewatch of Ted Lasso season 2 in preparation for the impending new season. Three episodes down, still one of the most refreshingly original comedy in many years. In fact it's even better than I remember.

Reservation Dogs - finished s2 e9. I still love what they're doing on this show. The way they just let things breathe, and aren't afraid confront deeply dramatic or emotional topics in what is ostensibly a comedy.

GeekyDad

Stranger

vAZWQjU.jpg

My wife and I started watching this about a week or so ago. It's (or thought it was -- turns out it is a regular series elsewhere) a 16-episode mini series (crime drama). Ugh...I made it through, I think, eight episodes, and then started bringing my PSP to the couch with me while she watched. It's so off-the-rails and ridiculous. I kept comparing it to Dynasty or Falcon Crest (from the 70s-80 style nighttime dramas like Dallas). Just fuckin' ridiculous. My wife is hooked, though. Whatever...

sol_bad

Stranger

vAZWQjU.jpg

My wife and I started watching this about a week or so ago. It's (or thought it was -- turns out it is a regular series elsewhere) a 16-episode mini series (crime drama). Ugh...I made it through, I think, eight episodes, and then started bringing my PSP to the couch with me while she watched. It's so off-the-rails and ridiculous. I kept comparing it to Dynasty or Falcon Crest (from the 70s-80 style nighttime dramas like Dallas). Just fuckin' ridiculous. My wife is hooked, though. Whatever...

Wife and I really enjoyed season 1 but stopped watching season 2. The second season got too bogged down in the politics and became really boring.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I started Reboot, a Hulu original. It's not bad, there's some good ideas there. After two episodes it feels like the writers can't decide on the exact tone. There's a lot of giggles, not a lot of solid laughs.

Each character works on their own, but all together I am not feeling much chemistry for the most part. Johnny Knoxville is probably my favorite, he plays a character loosely based on his public image and past real-life exploits.

I started Reboot, a Hulu original. It's not bad, there's some good ideas there. After two episodes it feels like the writers can't decide on the exact tone. There's a lot of giggles, not a lot of solid laughs.

Each character works on their own, but all together I am not feeling much chemistry for the most part. Johnny Knoxville is probably my favorite, he plays a character loosely based on his public image and past real-life exploits.

I thought you meant the old 3D CGI Saturday Morning Cartoon

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Every time I'm around someone who is watching The Big Bang Theory I'm surprised at the fact that Sheldon is in the show. He's such a stupid asshole, he's never funny, every other character is better than he his. How did this character not get nixed after the pilot?

GeekyDad

Every time I'm around someone who is watching The Big Bang Theory I'm surprised at the fact that Sheldon is in the show. He's such a stupid asshole, he's never funny, every other character is better than he his. How did this character not get nixed after the pilot?
You're just being silly, right? Are you feeling okay? Everything all right at home? Issues at work? You can talk to us, man. :messenger_confused:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Half these shows have one good season, ie breaking bad, mad men, etc

Fleabag #5 best show of all time? Succession and Veep are OK shows at best

It's nice of them to include band of brothers at 80... I don't even see Chernobyl on there

Top 10, off the top of my head, in no particular order , having never seen sopranos:

The wire
Band of brothers
The office uk
Game of thrones
Rome
Arrested development
Eastbound and down
John adams
Chernobyl
Planet earth

Honorable mention:
Dragon ball z

GeekyDad

holy hell this list is trash
Well, at least The Muppet Show got a mention. What a great show when we were kids. But Carroll Burnett Show at 89? Should have been at least in the top 20, if not top 10. Honeymooners at 74?! Are you shittin' me!?

Had to stop reading when I saw Good Times in the 72 slot. And all the shit shows they listed ahead of them? What in the actual fuck? Eh...man, stuff like Good Times is not nostalgia. That was real shit, and they managed to make it something you could laugh about. Don't even wanna know where they put All in the Family.

Top Bottom