• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

9/11 Docuseries on Disney+ got me rattled.

thousands died in those towers and the fact they were only able to pull around 20 people from the wrecks of the twin towers made me realize how many bodies were buried in the rubble.

To think that firefighters and rescue workers were literally walking over thousands of dead bodies when clearing out the rubble left over by the twin towers collapse. I had this idea that they recovered bodies from that wreck site but turns out what was recovered was fragmented human remains. To this day they're still identifying people from that disaster via bone fragments and various limbs they've found. Imagine getting a call from authorities that they've found the remains of your loved one from 9/11 so many years after the incident. Even if its a piece of bone its something but it also opens up old wounds.

All this is just insane and I had no idea the true devastation of the whole incident until now. Maybe I was just too young to understand back then but I get now how horrific this whole thing was.

RIP to all 9/11 victims.

Cobra Kai.

Lots of fun. Very cheesy but purposely so. You really have to suspend belief. None of the good guys getting any kind of legal trouble when they should. Danie-lson should be in jail. Nonetheless, the show is very good if you can throw away logic.

Better Call Saul.

I'm sorry folks. I hate to say it but I just can't get into the show. I'm two or three episodes in and it's just not working for me even though Breaking Bad is one of the best shows I have ever seen and might be the best TV drama ever. Maybe I should wait it out and give this a chance.

Last edited:
This show came out of nowhere and it's one of the best I've seen. This poster doesn't exactly do it justice:

1-108.jpg

Started watching it because Mike from RedLetterMedia mentioned it being good, and that barely anyone is talking about it. He's right on both counts.

The Catholic Church has half a million requests for exorcisms in their backlog, and they need a team to help evaluate whether they're real or fake possessions before going in. The show follows that team of three: two skeptics and one priest-in-training.

It's like a combination of the best parts of The Exorcist, The Conjuring, Mindhunter, and The X-Files. And it's not afraid to be weird. The tone can go between serious, funny, satirical, dramatic, and--most importantly--scary and pull them all off, in my opinion. One episode focused around VR has genuinely some of the most unsettling scenes I've seen all year, movie or TV.

It's on Paramount+. Probably why no one knows about it.

If a combination of religious horror/procedural/psychological thriller/great characters & banter sounds appealing--it might be worth looking into.

I enjoyed it till the Feminazism started to seep in. I noped out after that lol

Nico_D

At the moment Only Murders in the Building S2, The Terminal List and Justified S3. The Terminal List is the weakest of these, not bad by any means but at episode 5 the story isn't really advancing, it's just "the kill of the day" and onto the next. Only Murders S2 is probably even better than S1, Steve Martin has taken some acting lessons in-between the seasons but honestly, doesn't everybody watch this for Martin Short? He is fucking hilarious.

Sandman was... good, maybe. The last few episodes weren't that bad as I had read they are but they weren't that great either. The solution to the big problem at the end was far too convenient and easy, hated that.

Ted Lasso season 2... eh. Serious disappointment, I don't know what happened. It seems they put in a lot of angst and took out most of the comedy.

Oh, watched the pilot episode of Criminal Minds too to show it to the kids. Works.

Stopped watching House of Dragon at episode 3. Not my thing.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it till the Feminazism started to seep in. I noped out after that lol
I wrote that while wrapping up season one. I also noped out in season two when the characters became political mouthpieces--not even referring to gender politics stuff. They'd avoided putting politics front and center for so long and then it kind of took over. Really disappointing

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Well, inspired by what you guys have been saying, and the fact that my wife and I typically like to hang out in the living room and watch a show a few hours before bedtime, I just went through Rotten Tomatoes' top 75 show on Prime (since that's the only subscription we currently have) and just saved a bunch from the top 20 of that list. I didn't care what genre, really. I figured we can go one by one until we find one we like, and roll with it.

Last edited:

Just_one

To US gaf :

Any word on the renewal for Westworld Season 5?

Cant find it anywhere online , hopefully they give it one last season

It looks like this doc series is only available on Hulu in the USA - if anyone was wondering. Disney+ tells me it's not available here in the US when I try to follow links for it.

Yeah its 9/11: One Day in America. Such a shame its not available on Disney+ in the states. Kinda weird cause I expected everything to be available on the service over there.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yeah its 9/11: One Day in America. Such a shame its not available on Disney+ in the states. Kinda weird cause I expected everything to be available on the service over there.

We have all kinds of fucked up licensing stuff going on over here. For example, and on topic, Disney is the majority stakeholder and lead producing company for Hulu. And yet for some reason it can't be on their flagship platform. And I pay my subs for both Hulu and Disney through the Disney website. It's just a mess.

MastAndo

Wife and I are watching Last Man on Earth on Disney+. Fuckin hilarious.

Just hit season 3 last night.
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for this recommendation. I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with it after the first couple of episodes, but from the episode January Jones's character Melissa shows up and the dynamic changes, I've been laughing my ass off. Only on episode 5, but yeah, I've been cracking up binge watching this.

GeekyDad

Just finished Season 1 of Undone

nGyL7gE.jpg

Very powerful (for me, anyway). Probably one of the most engaging, well-written series I've seen in a long time. Had to pace myself with this one, though. Love the characters. Very identifiable.

- I don't love Paul Giamatti as John Adams.
- They put George Washington in a Cap'n Crunch costume.
- Wish the budget was bigger for the outdoor scenes.

Other than those 3 faults, the show is excellent with fantastic writing.

70087091.jpg

started watching The Midnight Club on Netflix. only a few episodes in but i like it. i forgot about the show until i saw it had came out on netflix. i knew mike flanagan was working on a new show but i didn't know anything about it and hadn't watched the trailers.

there are a shit load of jump scares in it to the point i don't know if the show is being serious with them or if it's making fun of them. i think it was the first episode there were like 10 jump scares in the space of a minute or something lol. instead of being scared i find myself laughing whenever one happens.

so far i wouldn't say it's as good as Haunting of Hill House or Bly Manor but if you want a creepy/morbid show set in a spooky building with ghosts and a bit of mystery then give it a watch. i'm interested to see where it's going. i think i have guessed at the next big reveal but we'll see.

started watching The Midnight Club on Netflix. only a few episodes in but i like it. i forgot about the show until i saw it had came out on netflix. i knew mike flanagan was working on a new show but i didn't know anything about it and hadn't watched the trailers.

there are a shit load of jump scares in it to the point i don't know if the show is being serious with them or if it's making fun of them. i think it was the first episode there were like 10 jump scares in the space of a minute or something lol. instead of being scared i find myself laughing whenever one happens.

so far i wouldn't say it's as good as Haunting of Hill House or Bly Manor but if you want a creepy/morbid show set in a spooky building with ghosts and a bit of mystery then give it a watch. i'm interested to see where it's going. i think i have guessed at the next big reveal but we'll see.

I'm four episodes in and I'm loving it

Waaaaaay better than Midnight Mass

GeekyDad

Though not technically a TV show, it's a series/channel that I've been hooked on for the past week or so. Not sure why, really, as I know nothing about airplanes, piloting, or ever had any previous interest in it. But this guy's technical evaluations of these situations are so interesting to me.

Though not technically a TV show, it's a series/channel that I've been hooked on for the past week or so. Not sure why, really, as I know nothing about airplanes, piloting, or ever had any previous interest in it. But this guy's technical evaluations of these situations are so interesting to me.

I was a flight attendant but even then I still loved watching these aircraft disaster videos.

AJUMP23

- I don't love Paul Giamatti as John Adams.
- They put George Washington in a Cap'n Crunch costume.
- Wish the budget was bigger for the outdoor scenes.

Other than those 3 faults, the show is excellent with fantastic writing.

70087091.jpg
Had my 12 year old watch the first episode today. Great series.

I’m related to Adams.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This final season of Clone Wars has suddenly turned into a story about two unlikeable sisters who don't even feel like Star Wars characters. How weird and boring. As someone who was never a fan of the show but am just checking it out now, I realize why Reddit and Twitter crapped all over this season. What were the writers thinking?

FunkMiller

If anyone wants to know what life is definitely, absolutely like in northern Australia, you should watch this:

Literally everybody dresses, talks and acts like the people in this show.

Emily in Paris Season 3. yeah i don't care what people think i enjoy it lol. it's also helping me improve my french! i'm starting to actually be able to understand some of the french talking scenes without looking at subtitles :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

up next i'm probably going to watch Alice in Borderland Season 2

GreenAlien

jack-ryan-poster.jpg

I have seen 2/3s of the first season and so far the show is amazing. DV support is also pretty cool, it does seem to make a big difference for image quality.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm on season 3 of Mythic Quest. It's good, they mixed things up enough to prevent it from becoming stale after the first two seasons. They're leaning into the whole The Office formula a bit much, with the exaggerated personalities and constantly uncomfortable moments, but it's working so far after three episodes.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Man Atlanta season 3 is something else. Some of the best TV I've seen in a long time. Those one shot episodes, and especially the one that gets a bit Black Mirrorish, very fresh and original.

Doom85

Man Atlanta season 3 is something else. Some of the best TV I've seen in a long time. Those one shot episodes, and especially the one that gets a bit Black Mirrorish, very fresh and original.

Yeah, I’ve wanted to watch that one. Loved Glover from his time on Community and glad to see how much he branched out with entering music and now this experimental series, and I think Zazie Beetz is pretty sexy and a good actress as well.

Jaybe

Dopesick. It’s about Purdue pharma and the opioid crisis. Learned some things I wasn’t aware of. Michael Keaton was really good in it. I like the investigators too. Dawson was too much one-note for my taste.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is there a new thread? Anyways:

The Midnight Club
It's good but takes a while to get going in the first episode (which is directed by Mike Flanagan). It's a self aware amalgamation of various horror subgenres, making meta commentary upon their various tropes. Surprisingly good teen actors with pretty good banter. Looking forward to the second episode.

Last edited:
Willow

I enjoyed this which was a surprise. It has it's problems but it still a fun show. I can't wait for Season 2 :p

Servant Season 4

Amazing show. I'm up to date and I can't wait to see where the show goes. I know this is the final season.

As for shows I'll be watching soon

The Last of Us
The Mayfair Witches
Star Wars The Bad Batch Season 2
You Season 4
Carnival Row Season 2
Hunters Season 2
The Mandalorian Season 3

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Despite my better judgement I watched the second episode of Dahmer.

My lord man. This is the most terrifying show I've ever seen.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Stick with it man it's worth it. What I remember most thinking back is the neighbor lady. Jesus Christ.

I'm currently binging Peaky Blinders after abandoning it a couple years back.
I was a fool!

Peaky Blinders gets real good after about episode 3.

Edit: finished the 90's Show. That Kelso and Jackie cameo was awesome. Made me realize how much I miss those characters.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Whatever the new National Treasure show is on Disney+. I made it about 15 minutes. I cancelled my sub until Mandalorian s3 drops on March 1st.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Whatever the new National Treasure show is on Disney+. I made it about 15 minutes. I cancelled my sub until Mandalorian s3 drops on March 1st.

I want to expand / elaborate upon this, as I sip on a beer with my game paused after my mind drifted back upon this show - I don't want to use overwrought terms like gen z, mils, gen x, etc, but it is very clear that they're chasing a mirage of "gen z" that simply isn't real.

Disney is obviously trying to pander to some kind of demographic that their focus groups and algorithms made them think exists. The same formulas that obviously led to the abomination that was their new Willow show. And it's just not working. It's a cacophony of entertainment that makes no sense, that appeals to some phantom of an audience that isn't there. It is leading to them creating entertainment within their Disney channel (so to speak) of programming that appeals to few but is objectively awful. Do some of these shows tally a lot of minutes? Sure - people paid for a sub, a new show drops, they're going to watch it to try and get their money's worth.

It's very difficult to really explain shows like this. Watching shows like this and Willow is reminiscent of the bizarre tail end of dreams - when as you're waking up everything begins to break down and the surrealness of the dream world collides with the waking world and none of it makes sense.

I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't have smoked that joint prior to pouring this pint. All I know is that it needs to be seen to be believed. And even then, one wonders how in the fuck something like this gets green lit. It is so dumb. And it is the opposite of entertainment.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Finally got around to watching a bit of Louie. Watched, I think, two eps of S1 and then an ep of S2. Very funny in places, but mostly...sad. It's not depressing because he's rich, but aside from the insane awkwardness of certain situations, he's just a sad person. Unreasonable, pitiful sometimes, lazy.

Probably won't go back. I'll stick to his stand-up. I don't need to know more about him personally.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Finally got around to watching a bit of Louie. Watched, I think, two eps of S1 and then an ep of S2. Very funny in places, but mostly...sad. It's not depressing because he's rich, but aside from the insane awkwardness of certain situations, he's just a sad person. Unreasonable, pitiful sometimes, lazy.

Probably won't go back. I'll stick to his stand-up. I don't need to know more about him personally.

That show gets a little too melodramatic for me after season two.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Cunk on Earth (Netflix)
This is hilarious.

Got in a second new show...

The Recruit (Netflix)
A young CIA lawyer trying to make his way in the spy org. Has a younger star, mostly younger cast, with some humor. Think early Jack Ryan, but funny at times. Has some pretty-decent-to-great action sequences (they're kind of all over the place). It took me a while to warm up to it, but once I realized it wasn't exactly taking itself seriously I started enjoying it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom