• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Cunk on Earth (Netflix)
This is hilarious.

Got in a second new show...

The Recruit (Netflix)
A young CIA lawyer trying to make his way in the spy org. Has a younger star, mostly younger cast, with some humor. Think early Jack Ryan, but funny at times. Has some pretty-decent-to-great action sequences (they're kind of all over the place). It took me a while to warm up to it, but once I realized it wasn't exactly taking itself seriously I started enjoying it.
I came here to mention Cunk on Earth too!

I remember seeing some of the scenes on youtube recently. Turns out it has been on BBC iPlayer for a while and maybe it's only going up on Netflix now which is why so many people seem to be talking about it now. I love Diane Morgan (check out After Life also on Netflix if you haven't. She ain't the main cast but still worth watching). I am going to watch Cunk on Britain next even though it's older.

Charlie Brooker puts out such good shows. I hope he goes back to Black Mirror but i wouldn't blame him if he didn't. The world is beyond a joke and fiction now.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Cunk on Earth (Netflix)
This is hilarious.

Got in a second new show...

The Recruit (Netflix)
A young CIA lawyer trying to make his way in the spy org. Has a younger star, mostly younger cast, with some humor. Think early Jack Ryan, but funny at times. Has some pretty-decent-to-great action sequences (they're kind of all over the place). It took me a while to warm up to it, but once I realized it wasn't exactly taking itself seriously I started enjoying it.

I came here to mention Cunk on Earth too!

I remember seeing some of the scenes on youtube recently. Turns out it has been on BBC iPlayer for a while and maybe it's only going up on Netflix now which is why so many people seem to be talking about it now. I love Diane Morgan (check out After Life also on Netflix if you haven't. She ain't the main cast but still worth watching). I am going to watch Cunk on Britain next even though it's older.

Charlie Brooker puts out such good shows. I hope he goes back to Black Mirror but i wouldn't blame him if he didn't. The world is beyond a joke and fiction now.
Just watched the trailer. It is pretty silly shit. So, is it supposed to be a mock interview/doc of stuff like 60 Minutes?

Been working my way through The Sopranos again. Such an engrossing show with characters & dialogue that really draw you in. Even from the very first episode you're just immediately invested in to the world, and the characters feel real.

I had my doubts about The Last of Us but that really is such a fantastic show so far. Pedro Pascal would definitely have not been in my consideration to play the part of Joel and now I can't see anybody else.

Some of the best on screen chemistry I have seen in a while between Pascal & Ramsey, they really feel like the game characters.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix)
This is, sadly, not good. I watched both episodes that were based on Lovecraft stories, Pickman's Model and Dreams in the Witch House. Neither were compelling or frightening. I then watched another random episode and gave up. What a shame. And for a Netflix produced show it looks like they spent a lot of money on it too.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
C.B. Strike S3: Troubled Blood (HBO Max, USA)

People looking to adapt a novel to a television series or movie should examine this series as an example of how to do it correctly. They did it really well out of the gate with S1, got a little better at smoothing the rough edges with S2, and after the first episode of S3 they seem to have perfected the formula.

They only change things when needed, when it makes sense for the transfer to a visual medium. They don't try to put their own spin on the story, since it already works. They effectively use cinematography to convey what the characters are thinking and feeling as illustrated by word within the books. They cast accurately and effectively. And it all comes together so well that even though one knows precisely how it ends it's still a joy to watch play out in live action.

Good stuff. I'd recommend it even if you haven't read the books so long as you're not turned off by occasionally dense mysteries - though I'd suggest starting with S1 so you can watch the relationship between the protagonists develop, and so you won't miss the introductions of the supporting characters.

i watched You season 4 part 1. loved the previous seasons but this one is quite different and feels slow and boring. hopefully part 2 is better.

C.B. Strike S3: Troubled Blood (HBO Max, USA)

People looking to adapt a novel to a television series or movie should examine this series as an example of how to do it correctly. They did it really well out of the gate with S1, got a little better at smoothing the rough edges with S2, and after the first episode of S3 they seem to have perfected the formula.

They only change things when needed, when it makes sense for the transfer to a visual medium. They don't try to put their own spin on the story, since it already works. They effectively use cinematography to convey what the characters are thinking and feeling as illustrated by word within the books. They cast accurately and effectively. And it all comes together so well that even though one knows precisely how it ends it's still a joy to watch play out in live action.

Good stuff. I'd recommend it even if you haven't read the books so long as you're not turned off by occasionally dense mysteries - though I'd suggest starting with S1 so you can watch the relationship between the protagonists develop, and so you won't miss the introductions of the supporting characters.
I love the books and the tv show. Here in the UK it's on BBC iPlayer and titled simply as "Strike". for anyone who doesn't know, these books are written by JK Rowling under the name "Robert Galbraith". There are 5 books out currently. JK Rowling has just finished the 6th book and it could be published this year (the 5th book only came out 6 months ago or so). the TV show has so far only got to the 4th book.

Sonik

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix)
This is, sadly, not good. I watched both episodes that were based on Lovecraft stories, Pickman's Model and Dreams in the Witch House. Neither were compelling or frightening. I then watched another random episode and gave up. What a shame. And for a Netflix produced show it looks like they spent a lot of money on it too.

I watched this one when it was released and I genuinely not remember a single episode from it. Either my memory is fried or it's utterly forgettable, probably both,

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
i watched You season 4 part 1. loved the previous seasons but this one is quite different and feels slow and boring. hopefully part 2 is better.

I love the books and the tv show. Here in the UK it's on BBC iPlayer and titled simply as "Strike". for anyone who doesn't know, these books are written by JK Rowling under the name "Robert Galbraith". There are 5 books out currently. JK Rowling has just finished the 6th book and it could be published this year (the 5th book only came out 6 months ago or so). the TV show has so far only got to the 4th book.

I remember hearing that "Robert Galbraith" may be JK Rowling back in 2013 and grabbing the hardcover from the Barnes & Noble down the street from me early (I forget why they had advance copies, but it was available there a week prior to its general release). The way "he" took the time to linger on the atmosphere of the moment, and the vivid descriptions of each character, convinced me it was her. It was until months later that I came across an article confirming it.

Great series, but the most recent book is a little overlong and not as entertaining as the earlier works IMO.

I remember hearing that "Robert Galbraith" may be JK Rowling back in 2013 and grabbing the hardcover from the Barnes & Noble down the street from me early (I forget why they had advance copies, but it was available there a week prior to its general release). The way "he" took the time to linger on the atmosphere of the moment, and the vivid descriptions of each character, convinced me it was her. It was until months later that I came across an article confirming it.

Great series, but the most recent book is a little overlong and not as entertaining as the earlier works IMO.
I bought the latest book but haven't actually got around to reading it yet. I know it's the longest yet and I've been trying to read some other (shorter) books first before moving on to it. With the news that the 6th book is done I guess I should hurry up lol I didn't expect her to write it so fast. Apparently she has plans for at least 13 books in the series!

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Rewatched The Book of Boba Fett episode that was basically an episode of The Mandalorian. It's sad this show sucked so bad they needed to insert a finished Mando ep into it to save it.

Anyway, I like how they remind the viewer at times that Din Djarin is a dick. Like when he lands and the deputy informs him that he can't land there, and Mando just ignores what he said regarding the law and asks him for the whereabouts of the sheriff. The deputy then replies "I don't think you heard me", and Din responds in a Karen-like confrontational way "I heard you".

Total douche at times.

Last edited:

DadEggs

Doing chernobyl finally.

Great show. I honestly had no idea how they could make this so engaging after the initial meltdown, but they did. On eps 5

HBO proving to be the best in the game still

Really loved learning all about this nightmare, esp since I was born in 86

Last edited:
Doing chernobyl finally.

Great show. I honestly had no idea how they could make this so engaging after the initial meltdown, but they did. On eps 5

HBO proving to be the best in the game still

Really loved learning all about this nightmare, esp since I was born in 86
It's fucking amazing really.

xrnzaaas

I started watching Servant. Season 1 for most part was very good and I actually enjoyed having shorter episodes than the usual 40-45 minute length. It was also fun to guess what kind of supernatural theme is involved in the baby's reappearance.

Then I started season 2 and... what the hell, did they run out of ideas how to continue the main plot? Don't know if I want to keep watching, especially since the mother's character can be so annoying.

Last edited:
I started watching Servant. Season 1 for most part was very good and I actually enjoyed having shorter episodes than the usual 40-45 minute length. It was also fun to guess what kind of supernatural theme is involved in the baby's reappearance.

Then I started season 2 and... what the hell, did they run out of ideas how to continue the main plot? Don't know if I want to keep watching, especially since the mother's character can be so annoying.

I'm on the 4th season and loving it. The 4th season is the last one. There's only 3 episodes left that haven't aired. You can drop the show if you don't like it? That's what I usually do

xrnzaaas

I'm on the 4th season and loving it. The 4th season is the last one. There's only 3 episodes left that haven't aired. You can drop the show if you don't like it? That's what I usually do
That's just it, I really liked season 1, but didn't like how season 2 has started. It's not that many episodes and they're not that long so I might just watch it to the end.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Tulsa King

It's OK. A weird take on the mobster genre, but also refreshing in that way. I see potential, will keep watching beyond the first episode.

K' Dash

Fringe.

Only watched the first two seasons that were available at the time and completely forgot about it, then it appeared as a recommendation in HBO max and I’m binging the first season now.

Fantastic show.

Fringe.

Only watched the first two seasons that were available at the time and completely forgot about it, then it appeared as a recommendation in HBO max and I’m binging the first season now.

Fantastic show.
fringe GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hello Tomorrow! (Apple TV+)

The first episode was a mixed bag. A dark dramady. The world of the show is the closest thing I've seen to that of Fallout prior to the nuclear apocalypse.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Roswell (1999, Hulu)

Watched the first episode on a whim, intended to be background noise while I worked. The girl in the thumbnail was cute, said it was about aliens, figured why not? Holy crap, this is Twilight years before Twilight. The premise of the first episode was basically copied by Meyer, she just changed the Dream Guy and his family from aliens to vampires, and changed the locale from New Mexico to the Pacific Northwest.

Guy saves girl's life in a supernatural manner - only the two of them realizing what happened. Awkward exhange in the classroom the next day. An unusual, primal connection between the two begins forming over the following days. The truth is revealed and romance ensues.

I would have sued were I the creators of this show, lol.

Top Bottom