• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

Axass

how is this any different than being full of redundant buttons?

At least there is another level of meta and strats. While people are pushing their preferred government, they aren't pressing relevant buttons so those that are are that much more powerful.

Democracy/anarchy is at its most powerful right before it's voted out.

From the crazy memes to the input wars, from the growing pokemon cults to the political commentary, from the strategy plans created in paint to the real life organization of organic efforts to overcome difficult points.

Everything about this stream is delicious and absurd.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
the very fact that people were proposing the idea that they should have just waited until 70 thousand people got bored and left so that something could get done shows how busted anarchy-only is for the game

the very idea that it is LESS boring to let 70k people get bored than to have the voting system is overtly ridiculous

Well no one said the anarchists were the best at logic.

But now any time there is a slight obstacle, democracy will win and they will beat it.

mclem

-The biggest issue I have with the system is that it does ruin the integrity of this as a legitimate social experiment. But like someone else said this was ruined the moment he tried Democracy so he might as well make the best of it now that it's ruined. And there's still tons of potential hear for psychological/sociological/political analysis so it's not like the stream isn't still a meta as hell statement about the way people cooperate.

It hasn't ruined the experiment: The first experiment was completed, data has been gathered. This is the second experiment.

Zalman

The democracy/anarchy stuff ruined it.

The magic is gone.

Should have just let it go. Eventually the people who only cared about being jerks would have grown bored and only the dedicated would have remained. It might have taken time but it would have happened.
Totally agree.

Stream has dropped 10,000 viewers since its peak of 92K. I wonder how low its gonna go before the streamer decides to get rid of the voting system and let this experiment run its course.

kyo2004

I want this T-shirt design like you wouldn't believe.
tumblr_n15y48NVl21r8sc3ro1_500.jpg

Too expensive for South America (almost 40 bucks = 82k COP)... If they just made a little more cheaper... I'll buy one for sure...

okayfrog

Banned
Stream has dropped 10,000 viewers since its peak of 92K. I wonder how low its gonna go before the streamer decides to get rid of the voting system and let this experiment run its course.

You can say that it has dropped 10k as if that's a big deal, but really, this is still an obscene amount of viewers, especially at this time of day when most people are at school or work. It could easily top 100k+ in about six or so hours.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The ledge wasn't just lag; when it worked, it did so in part *because* the movers overwhelmed the trolls. We need to keep the interested players playing because, as I said upthread, bots won't get bored.

Not sure it matters that much, the stream managed to get 4 badges in that state and the trolls cant even do much with a 1 minute lag. Its not much more than pressing a random button anyway, as long as the trolls dont organize themselves to fuck up progress.

Sianos

Zalman

You can say that it has dropped 10k as if that's a big deal, but really, this is still an obscene amount of viewers, especially at this time of day when most people are at school or work. It could easily top 100k+ in about six or so hours.
"At this time of the day"? This thing is trending worldwide.

mclem

Should have just let it go. Eventually the people who only cared about being jerks would have grown bored and only the dedicated would have remained. It might have taken time but it would have happened.

Bots don't get bored. Dedicated people, however, can get demoralised and give up.

the point is to only address part of my quote as a strawman, yes :U

There already was a democratic stream, why not use that one? This was something unique, creating unique stories and while frustrating at point,t hat only makes real progress all the more satisfying.

There's plenty recorded games of Pokemon Red to enjoy the efficient progress.

How is it strawman? I don't see anywhere where the creator says the point is or isn't to beat the game. Ultimately, it's all up to him, by whatever he imagines, like some kind of digital god.

Dario ff

Banned
I don't really care about the purity of the experiment. The problem is the metagame changes a lot towards something that isn't exciting or fun to watch for me anymore. The next time they face an obstacle that requires coordination, it just changes to democracy to beat it. There was an entire layer of new risk/reward when doing Erika's Gym just because there was a stupid tree outside of it.

That kind of meta-game is now non-existent, and it's just the regular challenges the game has right now. (Which are boring for the most part since everyone's done them already) I doubt anyone ever thought a ledge in Route 9 would somehow add a new layer of challenge to a game like this.

It's fun to be part of something new like that.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Bots don't get bored. Dedicated people, however, can get demoralised and give up.

I think you are gravely overestimating the amount of bots, as the voting (hey thanks voting) showed. 95% of all inputs were correct inputs for the current, last or next move.

I don't really care about the purity of the experiment. The problem is the metagame changes a lot towards something that isn't exciting or fun to watch for me anymore. The next time they face an obstacle that requires coordination, it just changes to democracy to beat it. There was an entire layer of new risk/reward when doing Erika's Gym just because there was a stupid tree outside of it.

That kind of meta-game is now non-existent, and it's just the regular challenges the game has right now. (Which are boring for the most part since everyone's done them already) I doubt anyone ever thought a ledge in Route 9 would somehow add a new layer of challenge to a game like this.

Yep.

Cirruss

That peak happened during democracy/the start of anarchy when they made major progress and got the lift key. I expect the numbers will return when another big event happens.

kiguel182

Democracy might have ruined the whole thing as an experiment but the viewers have increased so clearly the audience has spoken.

Once again popularity kills quality.

We'll always have the ledge.

Toma

Democracy might have ruined the whole thing as an experiment but the viewers have increased so clearly the audience has spoken.

Once again popularity kills quality.

We'll always have the ledge.

Of course it does, like CoD will always beat Dark Souls Numbers. More people will want easy progress, woop.

Sianos

How is it strawman? I don't see anywhere where the creator says the point is or isn't to beat the game. Ultimately, it's all up to him, by whatever he imagines, like some kind of digital god.

FROM AN INTERVIEW WITH THE CREATOR:

"I’m concerned about the Safari Zone, if it does prove impossible I will consider modifying the game to make it easier but I still want to see the stream give it their best try without any compromises."

I just hate when people trim my sentences to make a point. Those words you removed have meaning too!

Addi

It peaked at 92k when got through the maze, went down again when we got outside, nothing to do with the new system, people want to witness the most important moments, it will go up again later.

GamerJM

Banned
It hasn't ruined the experiment: The first experiment was completed, data has been gathered. This is the second experiment.

I disagree with this. I feel like the streamer should have given the anarchy in the Rocket HQ more time before he said that the social experiment was over and that the test sample was only able to get through four gyms without further assistance. Before he tried implementing the Democracy system, even though they had gone a day without progressing, people were still thinking ways to get through the Rocket H and from what I could tell the majority of people were not ready to give up just because of the HQ.

mclem

No, that's how the *players* got co-ordinated. Trolls could still have blocked attempts, though, and it was dependent on the sheer number of sincere players to counter that.

Plus, as I did mention upthread, metastrategies don't really work in the maze - they're good at going all-out in a straight line.

trixx

Democracy is complete shit, stop voting for it. I came for the fun, not for a boring walkthrough.

Exactly what i'm saying. I think all the people that want democracy, want progress. If you want democracy watch the blue stream because that's all about progress.

If you want fun, then watch the red stream. Leave it be, and let them have their fun. That's what i've done.

I don't think it has to do with number of people but rather the mindstate of the majority. And the majority of the red stream would rather have fun then complete tasks.

Trey

Can someone explain Start9 to me? It's the only meme I don't get.

While under democratic rule, inputs of 'button(number)' make it so when that input is voted, Red will do that input n times.

for example, left9 will make Red move left 9 times.

Toma

No, that's how the *players* got co-ordinated. Trolls could still have blocked attempts, though, and it was dependent on the sheer number of sincere players to counter that.

Plus, as I did mention upthread, metastrategies don't really work in the maze - they're good at going all-out in a straight line.

The ones you thought of might not have worked :p But 90k monkeys might have come up with something during their greatest peril.

Besides, I already saw a picture with suggesting what to push in which area to account for the lag, meta strategies totally could have worked.

wmlk

Anyone want to fill in what happened the past 24 hours? Even the slightest bit of progress?

EDIT: Where did our Flareon go?

Sianos

New strategies would be developed: maps were being made on where to mash buttons, timing the pausa buffer, different angles, and of course some chaos and luck throughout.

Why not just use the already existing democratic Blue stream if you want that experience? Or if you're just watching, watch the Let's Play videos I linked above?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why are people getting angry in here about the slider as if anyone in this chat has control or could reverse the decision? It's over. The dream is dead.

The dome won

Toma

Why are people getting angry in here about the slider as if anyone in this chat has control or could reverse the decision? It's over. The dream is dead.

The streamer reverted his system once, we are hoping he does it again. By venting here, we are creating a mood of dissatisfaction that needs to spread to reddit and throughout the whole of Kanto.

I think a lot of people here have forgotten it's still fun to just look at the game and ignore the slider. We are in Anarchy right now and it won't change since most people seem to agree it's perfect as it is.

TechOne

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ANARCHY OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Top Bottom