• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

I think the Democracy vs Anarchy system makes the experiment much more interesting from an observer perspective. The whole game is applied hivemind gameplay, but when the hive decides that shit has to get done and they have to coordinate, it's something to marvel at. Working together was much easier to accomplish when there was much less people, but with 90k+ viewers no matter what it's gonna be chaos, even if we were to try to band together. Just waiting for the viewership to dissolve to meager numbers is a little too hopeful at this point and, honestly, it's almost no different from the voting system. We still would be working together to accomplish something and it would feel a lot less random and chaotic.

Personally, I think it should only be anarchy until the Safari Zone. Entertainment wise. I don't see people waiting that long for democracy to get it done so that'd be funny.

EDIT:
I'm starting to think there's like a 50/50 split. Once one gets there, the other half stops doing commands and just writes democracy or anarchy all the time.
Well he said he'll take step count off for safari I believe.

Trey

I can't wait for the chat to turn on "democracy" mode during the Elite Four, and ruin the entire fun yet again.

They won't. Democracy mode wasn't on for any battles.

It's only been used in "this sucks, enough of the bullshit" moments:

It got out of the maze, it got to Giovanni, it got to the Silph Scope. All highly tedious, low reward moments in the chat.

Since democracy has been an option, Anarchy has run all the battles (two Giovanni fights), forced the exile of the false prophet, returned the Helix Fossil to Red, and freed the Keeper. Digrat got a little premature. All the "epic" moments are still occurring, democracy is just greasing the wheels.

Azuran

Banned
It's the 75,000 playing the game that want to see it beaten. They're choosing the comands. They've all already beaten it, but something is compelling them. I find the anarchy more interesting, but i'm not playing. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were inputing commands.

Isn't it interesting itself that people really want to beat...
Pokemon Red? (for the 100th time)

The funny part is that we're not beating this game no matter what. If we miraculous manage to reach the E4, we're going to get slaughtered by Lorelei.

Like people have said, this is all about the journey, not the destination. When people started playing and watching this 5 days ago, they weren't thinking about any of that stuff. We were just taking things one step at a time and see how things went.

Thank you, this. It makes me feel like a grumpy old man yelling at clouds, but come on. Think how much it meant beating the ledge boss versus the anti-climax of picking up the Scope just now.

A vote for anarchy is a vote for glorious joyful chaos!

Digging out practically immediately after beating Giovanni was amazing. But the thought of spending more hours at Rocket HQ, after nearly two days, was unbearable. I like having democracy when absolutely needed. We got the Scope with unprecedented precision and everyone-- including the pro-democracy people-- voted back to Anarchy-- the true way, most of the time-- right away.

There will be more stories.

There is no way we're gonna be coordinated enough during the Elite 4 to heal our Pokemon's with a Potion after a battle, or revive them after a battle.

We're not even gonna have enough money to buy a Regular Potion.

RedShift

The funny part is that we're not beating this game no matter what. If we miraculous manage to reach the E4, we're going to get slaughtered by Lorelei.

Like people have said, this is all about the journey, not the destination. When people started playing and watching this 5 days ago, they weren't thinking about any of that stuff. We were just taking things one step at a time and see how things went.

If we get there we'll have a team of at least 2 level 100s after spending WEEKS going back and forth in Victory Road. Assuming we don't release them in the League reception building we'll beat them (after many many tries).

We could have battled random trainers, and gotten a Pokedoll to use in Pokemon Tower. Yes, it would have taken us hours, and it could have failed, but then we would have at least had an actual adventure, an actual story, and an actual exciting stream.

Seriously, the entire fun was seeing all the chaos. Abby and Jay Leno getting released? Ledge taking 6 hours? Rock Cave taking nearly a day? Feeling successful when we deposited DigRat? The Eevee hate? The Helix worship? All of that was fun because of the random mode.

Why do people want to see us beat the game so badly? If you really wanted to beat the game, play the game yourself or use a different stream? Or is it because those streams aren't as "popular" as this one? There was reason this stream was so fun, because of the chaos.

I can't wait for the chat to turn on "democracy" mode during the Elite Four, and ruin the entire fun yet again.

The reason the stream is fun is because I've been following it for so long and am invested in it. Going democracy to grab a lift key or silph scope really doesn't change that. I feel like we are in this together and I still feel the same comradery when we're figuring out how to beat a puzzle, factoring in the lag, even if it is one step at a time in democracy mode.

It's probably not going to go back to the way it was at the beginning but I'm not going to let that ruin it for me.

There is no way we're gonna be coordinated enough during the Elite 4 to heal our Pokemon's with a Potion after a battle, or revive them after a battle.

We're not even gonna have enough money to buy a Regular Potion.

They'll have to brute-force they way through it. Even if it means normal type attacks from a 100lv flying type again and again.

Mory Dunz

Drowzee in front. Better stay that way. All aboard for 26.

They won't. Democracy mode wasn't on for any battles.

It's only been used in "this sucks, enough of the bullshit" moments:

It got out of the maze, it got to Giovanni, it got to the Silph Scope. All highly tedious, low reward moments in the chat.

Since democracy has been an option, Anarchy has run all the battles (two Giovanni fights), forced the exile of the false prophet, returned the Helix Fossil to Red, and freed the Keeper. Digrat got a little premature. All the "epic" moments are still occurring, democracy is just greasing the wheels.

Yeah, it'd be a larndmark occasion in the experiment if it gets to a democracy battle...

I can't say what all these people playing are thinking, but if they weren't thinking about finishing before, they definitely are now. (As shown by choosing the boring democracy at times) Maybe ideals shifted, or maybe they were always there but couldn't be expressed until the choice for democracy came.

I said 50/50 split before, but I think it's more around 60/40 Anarchy. And 92.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Blizzard

Banned
Thank you, this. It makes me feel like a grumpy old man yelling at clouds, but come on. Think how much it meant beating the ledge boss versus the anti-climax of picking up the Scope just now.

A vote for anarchy is a vote for glorious joyful chaos!
Honest question: Did you consider 12 (28?) straight hours of walking into walls in the team rocket maze joyful chaos? I think you might be in the minority if so. :p I think it's nice when it's not 20+ hours of the same building, otherwise I might agree.

Fury Sense

we got the scope using the drug called democracy. it's like an addictive substance that we must not abuse.

where do we go now? red seems to be celebrating with aimless walking

Azuran

Banned
The tower should be fun. BASED PIDGEOT will be completely useless in there and I don't think you can avoid all the trainers.

Which means the backup plan should be to get Hitmonchan and try to teach him an elemental punch if all fails.

Top Bottom