• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meisadragon said:
Yes, you're right, but you haven't played it so... I dunno how you can say that.
Hey, I'll be happy if Uncharted 3 is really a 9.9 since I'll be buying it on day one.
Then again, first reviews tend to exagerate a lot.
@Ricky: Why is that?

Dyni Crippler said:
Of course, finished it twice.
Seriously, though, my opinion was simply based on Uncharted 2 (which seems rather similiar to the third one).
So Uncharted 2 is the one you don't think is a 9.9? Man your making no sense here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dyni Crippler said:
Alright, should be a little more clear here.
A game that deserves 9.9 should be a game that leaves a mark, like Deus Ex did. I don't see Uncharted leaving the same impression of Deus Ex.
Dark got a point, too.

In your ideal world, sure. But most if not all reviewers assign a score out of arbitrary necessity and/or to weight the game against its peers within its respective genre. You seem to believe that a 10 (let's just round up here) should define the game within the larger context of the entire industry, but that's not the way it works - there exists no standards that define the deeper meaning behind a game's review score.

Patapwn

Dyni Crippler said:
I know, I was talking about the series.
This thread to discuss not the series but Uncharted 3. That's what the review is about, Uncharted 3. I think it's a good idea to judge games based on their own merits... also, it's a nice idea to play them first.

JaseC said:
In your ideal world, sure. But most if not all reviewers assign a score out of arbitrary necessity and/or to weight the game against its peers within its respective genre. You seem to believe that a 10 (let's just round up here) should define the game within the larger context of the entire industry, but that's not the way it works - there exists no standards that define the deeper meaning behind a game's review score.
In my opinion, a 10 should be assigned to a truly revolutionary game, one that should be taken as an example (too bad it never happens). 9.9 is, in 99% (ha, the coincidence) of the case, an exageration.
That's my point of view, I repeat.
To everyone else: I obviously haven't played Uncharted 3, but it seems unlikely to me that it's a 9.9 for the reason stated above.
Which would be more easy to sustain if there were details of the review...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dyni Crippler said:
In my opinion, a 10 should be assigned to a truly revolutionary game, one that should be taken as an example (too bad it never happens). 9.9 is, in 99% (ha, the coincidence) of the case, an exageration.

A point of view you're presenting as a matter of fact, it needs to be said.

Edit: Grammarmarmamrmar.

A score like 9.9 helps remind me that I can never take review scores seriously...Honestly why not just give a god damn 10? WTF is the difference between a 9.9 and a 10?

Pranay

AppleSmack said:
A score like 9.9 helps remind me that I can never take review scores seriously...Honestly why not just give a god damn 10? WTF is the difference between a 9.9 and a 10?

Gmal sucking in multiplayer :p

Radec

AppleSmack said:

-.1% because the game has an end.

Mr. B Natural said:
So Galaxy is mathematically the better game then.

No.

21/20 = 1.05

20/20 or 10/10 = 1

1.05 > 1

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not sure what the hilarity over 9.9 is. I like the fact that they didn't just throw up a 10; in reality nothing should be a 10 as nothing is perfect. That depends on each reviewer's system though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
AppleSmack said:

Shirttuck physics weren't cool enough.

goodfella

Deadly Cyclone said:
Not sure what the hilarity over 9.9 is. I like the fact that they didn't just throw up a 10; in reality nothing should be a 10 as nothing is perfect. That depends on each reviewer's system though.

The point is, who the hell can play a game and say one is 99 and one is 100? what is the difference between 9.2 and 9.3? 7.1 and 7.2? any well thought out review system is either on a 5, 10 or 20(.5) point scale.

maniac-kun said:
10448938o8bt.jpg
lol. Needs Kaz Hirai's face instead.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
goodfella said:
The point is, who the hell can play a game and say one is 99 and one is 100? what is the difference between 9.2 and 9.3? 7.1 and 7.2? any well thought out review system is either on a 5, 10 or 20(.5) point scale.

Well as mentioned that depends on the system. If it were my system 9.9/10 would be the highest you could get, as 9.9 says that the game is a close to perfect as you can get, but not a 10 because nothing can be perfect.

Unless you say a 10 is as perfect as you can get up to this date in gaming, and the meaning of the 10 constantly changes as the date moves forward and games get better and better.

Conclusion from the review: "La mejor aventura de la historia de los videojuegos aunque se parece en unas cosas a Uncharted 2" ("the best adventure in the videogame's history although in some parts it is similar to Uncharted 2")

nib95

Banned
goodfella said:

Maybe just one or two minor issues stopped them from giving it a 10? Who knows. Nothing wrong with the score though. People have no issue with point scale's generally, but when it's a 9.9 it's suddenly a problem?

Radec

Robinspain said:
Conclusion from the review: "La mejor aventura de la historia de los videojuegos aunque se parece en unas cosas a Uncharted 2" ("the best adventure in the videogame's history although in some parts it is similar to Uncharted 2")

I knew reviewers will take this as a fucking CON.

iratA

Radec said:
I knew reviewers will take this as a fucking CON.

Yeah I know, and it hardly seems like a fair CON when Uncharted 2 was so damn good. Batman seems to be going well at the moment though and its in a similar situation.

Mpl90 said:
No game will ever beat the 11/10 given to Galaxy by the Italian Official Nintendo Magazine.
NO GAME.
...9.9 is ridiculous as well, however :lol

I could be mistaken but was it Uncharted 2 or MGS4 or something that got like a 21/20 from some French Magazine??? Can anyone enlighten me?

keit4

Banned
I'm confident that UC3 will be a great game, but Playmania is an awfull magazine (like the 99% of the videogame magazines in Spain).

Even if you can't contain yourself, I STRONGLY suggest you don't look at the scans....

there's a super mega ultra spoiler in one of the shots., albeit a very very cool one. I even had a bet with one of my friends about the possibility of this spoiler, he is going to owe me some beers :D

So I feel sad and good at the same time now.

BeeDog

What kind of scores has this magazine given before? There's no value to this score if there isn't a proper context. :p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Dyni Crippler said:
To everyone else: I obviously haven't played Uncharted 3, but it seems unlikely to me that it's a 9.9 for the reason stated above.
Which would be more easy to sustain if there were details of the review...

It's fine if that's your scoring philosophy, but it's not everyone's.

It's much easier to recognize that a game is revolutionary in hindsight. Most reviewers are going to assign a number to their experience of the game in the immediate present, and a non-revolutionary but extremely well-crafted game can give someone one of their best gaming experiences. So that's how scoring works.

Nert

Really seems like more of a 9.932 to me. The problem with their scoring system is that it doesn't allow for enough gradation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom