• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Tarazet

I've seen the neutral and True Pacifist endings now, trying a Genocide run.
The game just lets you run amok until Undyne shows up to put you in your place. I honestly don't know if I will be able to brute force my way through that fight like you would in a "normal" RPG. Also, a question, are you required to kill Muffet, or can you buy one of the items and bypass her?

Acerac

Banned
I've seen the neutral and True Pacifist endings now, trying a Genocide run.
The game just lets you run amok until Undyne shows up to put you in your place. I honestly don't know if I will be able to brute force my way through that fight like you would in a "normal" RPG. Also, a question, are you required to kill Muffet, or can you buy one of the items and bypass her?

Genocide = kill all the things!

Firehead

Genocide = kill all the things!

zTouy3e.png
Quite literally.

PBalfredo

(Ruminations on all the endings)

Been listening to the Undertale soundtrack as of late, and doing so reminds me of how earnest Undertale is about the power of friendship and kindness, especially in the pacifist route. But in doing so, it really highlights how going from the pacifist ending to the genocide route is the ultimate betrayal. But then to repeat the pacifist route after the genocide ending manages to further the betrayal even more since the implication insincerity in re-forging the friendships that were so sincere in the initial pacifist run but were broken so casually in the genocide run adds a cruel mockery towards the game's unflinching earnestness in the pacifist route. Just thinking about it fills me with an intense melancholy.

PBalfredo

If you want to add more Undertale tracks to your playlist, there's Live at Grillby's -an official Jazz remix album of the OST that's been released today.

Those are all fantastic. Especially It's a Beautiful Day Outside (Megalovania). Maybe the best Megalovia arrangement yet? I've had Undertale's soundtrack on my mind as of late and jazz is my favorite genre, so this is right up my alley.

WolvenOne

Not planning on being very active here, but I'll say this much. Picked up this game in December on the steam sale, finished my first run, (Pacifist,) after getting distracted by other things. Wonderful game, not really interested in the Neutral or Genocide routes however. I tend to gravitate towards paragon paths whenever I'm given the chance and, seeing as I really like the cast and that I'm horribly sentimental I just don't think I could force myself towards completing a genocide path.

Might do Pacifist again at some point, debating between manually erasing my current save or going through the game mechanism for additional runs. Honestly
the notion that additional runs are cannon for these characters makes it kind of difficult for me.
Like I said, I'm horribly sentimental at times. But, uh, yeah I loved the game. The whole bullet hell thing took some getting used to for me, that's not a genre I have any real practice with. Still, it was a fun little experience, and I liked that they managed to escape from the traditional JRPG grind formula.

Ferrio

Banned
Not planning on being very active here, but I'll say this much. Picked up this game in December on the steam sale, finished my first run, (Pacifist,) after getting distracted by other things. Wonderful game, not really interested in the Neutral or Genocide routes however. I tend to gravitate towards paragon paths whenever I'm given the chance and, seeing as I really like the cast and that I'm horribly sentimental I just don't think I could force myself towards completing a genocide path.

Might do Pacifist again at some point, debating between manually erasing my current save or going through the game mechanism for additional runs. Honestly
the notion that additional runs are cannon for these characters makes it kind of difficult for me.
Like I said, I'm horribly sentimental at times. But, uh, yeah I loved the game. The whole bullet hell thing took some getting used to for me, that's not a genre I have any real practice with. Still, it was a fun little experience, and I liked that they managed to escape from the traditional JRPG grind formula.

If you've only finished it once, that was the neutral run

A-V-B

Wow. If you haven't hurt anyone, don't start a new game, just hit continue and walk back towards the hotel.

Have fun.

WolvenOne

You also got neutral then :)

Oh right, the credits do rolls by once real fast there once. I kinda didn't consider that a playthrough, since the game was being really meta at that point. XD

And yes I did just load and do a quick tour of the hotel and Snowdin, was fun to read all the changes to the NPC dialogue. Regardless, gonna be awhile before I do another playthrough, assuming I ever do another playthrough. Really hate the idea of ruining the whole
happy ending,
but there are a few boss fights in the game that I had enough fun with that I wouldn't mind doing them again sometime. Shame there's no post game challenge mode or whatnot.

Go through these battles again, this time for pure funsies! XD

L95

Just beat it with I guess the genocide path. Humorous twist heh. Not sure if I'll play again but I really enjoyed my time with it.

Did you look up the genocide requirements? I doubt you did the genocide route if you 'guess' you did, there are significant changes (and fairly specific requirements). Sounds like you got the neutral ending based on what you're saying.

Now
put a cross on every monster's face with a red marker and give Frisk Rosy red cheeks and big happy eyes!

[RAGES INTERNALLY]
OH GOD NEVER REMIND ME OF THAT AGAIN!

In all seriousness, I never finished the Genocide Run. I just reset and got the True Pacifist End. I just decided to watch the post-Genocide True Pacificst Ending and it just scarred me to the bone. I simply cannot think about the ending without that horrifying(but brilliant) stinger. I officially hate Chara with a passion.

poutmeter

[RAGES INTERNALLY]

In all seriousness, I never finished the Genocide Run. I just reset and got the True Pacifist End. I just decided to watch the post-Genocide True Pacificst Ending and it just scarred me to the bone. I simply cannot think about the ending without that horrifying(but brilliant) stinger. I officially hate Chara with a passion.

I don't know how you could hate
Chara. I mean, you can't spell charming without several letters from their name.

kewlmyc

Game Theory did a episode on Undertale all about Sans' identity (spoilers for the whole game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYdDUXyFocY

Interesting theory, with enough proof for me to really consider it.

For those who don't have time to watch the video but want to know what it states (spoilers):
Sans is the missing Ness from the Earthbound: Halloween Hack that Toby Fox worked on prior to this. Papyrus is a Starman from Earthbound.

Zubz

Banned
Game Theory did a episode on Undertale all about Sans' identity (spoilers for the whole game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYdDUXyFocY

Interesting theory, with enough proof for me to really consider it.

For those who don't have time to watch the video but want to know what it states (spoilers):
Sans is the missing Ness from the Earthbound: Halloween Hack that Toby Fox worked on prior to this. Papyrus is a Starman from Earthbound.

giphy.gif

This is even less-grounded in anything than the time they argued there're 2 timelines in the confirmed non-existent Mario canon. Plus, I'm under the impression that Fox wants everything involved with that hack buried under the rug barring Megalovania.

Still, even if I don't like their videos, I guess it's a fun idea for those that do.

NEO0MJ

[RAGES INTERNALLY]

People who just watch because they don't have the determination and guts to murder everyone are the worst.

Syril

People who just watch because they don't have the determination and guts to murder everyone are the worst.
Yeah, because if anyone is qualified to judge, it's the murderous flower who just got through justifying the abandonment of his own morals.

Randam

just started the game.

she told me to wait and not leave the room.

do I really have to wait? is it even possible to wait or do I have to continue?

I really don't like when games do this..

Leezard

just started the game.

she told me to wait and not leave the room.

do I really have to wait? is it even possible to wait or do I have to continue?

I really don't like when games do this..

You get some dialogue if you actually wait, but you have to continue to make the game progress.

Top Bottom