• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

NEO0MJ

I finished it recently, that final battle was trippy and the ending itself was very cool. I really enjoyed my time with it, lots of good messages and themes through out the game. I love the idea of an 'empathy' system but I wish more work went into it than just to select some 'abstract choices'.

Did you do a genocide run as well?

That's the thing, I wasn't that person.
The game as a whole was strengthened by it, but I definitely don't think your experience was lessened by not doing it.

I feel that you should spoiler what I posted.

Maybe. Still, if you are the person who'd comb through any game and was determined to finish it no matter what I think you'd appreciate that line.

And you didn't do a genocide run?! I'm surprised. How can you not have a bad time?

mbpm1

Maybe. Still, if you are the person who'd comb through any game and was determined to finish it no matter what I think you'd appreciate that line.

And you didn't do a genocide run?! I'm surprised. How can you not have a bad time?

Oops, forgot to spoiler the quote. Fixed now. As for me, I'm pretty content just reading the happenstances of it all. That's how I achieve completion with things like this.

I'm just that kind of guy though. If I don't feel like seeing a movie for example I'll read through the synopsis on wikipedia, go over the spoilerized summaries on reviews, comb through the theorizing and debating on forums, dissect the tvtropes page, and then listen to a friend talk about it and squeeze all my enjoyment out through oblique angles.

I'm also the person who read the entire plot and tvtropes page on Neon Genesis Evangelion years before I saw the series myself (although by then I'd forgotten it all).

NEO0MJ

Oops, forgot to spoiler the quote. Fixed now. As for me, I'm pretty content just reading the happenstances of it all. That's how I achieve completion with things like this.

I'm just that kind of guy though. If I don't feel like seeing a movie for example I'll read through the synopsis on wikipedia, go over the spoilerized summaries on reviews, comb through the theorizing and debating on forums, dissect the tvtropes page, and then listen to a friend talk about it and squeeze all my enjoyment out through oblique angles.

I'm also the person who read the entire plot and tvtropes page on Neon Genesis Evangelion years before I saw the series myself (although by then I'd forgotten it all).

You're a strange one. Also, you're the sort of person Flowey made fun of near the end of the genocide run :p

mbpm1

You're a strange one. Also, you're the sort of person Flowey made fun of near the end of the genocide run :p

As Sans, I am lazy :p i let the internet do my experiencing for me.

And I can have my bad times through getting rekt through fighting games anyway

NEO0MJ

Let me see.

Oh yeah, I should mention a tip for this run
don't leave an area until you kill every monster in it. Easiest way for the first area is to save at the first save point, play in windowed mode, then hold up and quickly switch to another application. This will allow you to fight monsters without wasting time walking around and allow you to do stuff on the side between encounters. If you killed them all you'll notice a change in music, the save points only mentioning determination, and even if an encounter happens no monster will show up. After doing that continue the game as normal and after beating Toriel the save points will show how many monsters are left in the area. Make sure to kill them all before advancing into the boss. If the checkpoints don't show either just determination or the number of monsters in an area restart as you came back to the neutral route and can't go back to genocide..

Puruzi

Banned
You shouldn't push people to play genocide. Let them decide to do it if they want to.

I only did true pacifist and am completely satisfied with what that had to offer.

NEO0MJ

It was mostly because it seemed like the poster was dropping the game altogether. No one should be forced to do genocide, but I feel they should consider it, especially if the reason was because they thought they saw all the game had to offer or just rushing along between games.

DNAbro

CaJRrMhUUAAMH0o.jpg

Fangamer's Toriel plushie that is going up today.

Ultimadrago

Kind of glad it's not too big cause that would be more money. I'm guessing around $25-30 for it.

Dude, I was prepped for a giant sized one with enthusiast $70-80 pricing! Haha, but I could see how that could be counter-productive to the market. I'm too expecting like $30 at least, not over $35.

Tarazet

I finished my first middle of the road runthrough yesterday, ending up at LOVE 10. It was the easiest way to play it.. have mercy whenever it's easy to do, but don't reset if you one-shot a Froggit by mistake.
I actually uninstalled and reinstalled the game after Flowey killed me about 20 times. At first I thought he would relent eventually, and then I thought I was just fucked and I had to start over. Fortunately it didn't erase my save file and I figured out the multiple phases.

To give some spoiler free impressions.. this game doesn't seem like much at first. There's some funny, goofy writing, though it has uneven quality and unprofessional style, but man, does it start to play with you and get into your head. The simplicity of the presentation really makes it hit hard when it suddenly turns. There is a hell of a sick imagination and sense of humor behind this title, and it is amazing.

Zubz

Banned
Guess all these teaser images must mean the pre-orders will be up soon.

I hope.

So wait... not only are we getting a Papyrus figurine, but we're also getting Lesser Dog? I don't care how long his neck is, I am sold!

I'm needing a Mettaton one to fill the Mettaton-shaped hole in my Mettaton-shaped heart.

EDIT: They're also teasing (Well, showed off) a Muffet poster!

CaKn71pUYAAMmt7.jpg:large

As for pricing on the figurines, Fangamer's figurines are priced fom $10 (Mini NES carts with limbs) to $84 for a set of Spelunky figures (Most expensive individual figure is a 4'' Geno figure for $75). The Shank manquette is official, and only worth $30, so I think DNABro and Ultimadrago have the right idea on the price.

Ultimadrago

FanGamer is going to offer a new shirt for sale as well: ............. ..........

I actually wish they didn't make it this design as it is a rather major confrontation to have spoiled outright from a storepage. I know the Internet has talked enough about it already, but blah. Game hasn't been out that long.

Ultimadrago

Hm, the figures don't look quite as good as I'd hoped, but I signed up for Papyrus. His looks fantastic.

I don't know what Toriel Enhancement Pack is for $1, but I'm taking it with my pre-order. And she ended up being $29 before Shipping, pretty close to what I thought.

The poster and buttons are cute, but I don't need them.

Finally got a Determination Pack (without Flowey's Discount!) and boy, the shipping on that is mean for two shirts and a damn set of stickers.

I paid for the Toriel enhancement pack, but I have a bad feeling the "enhancement" will be
Mettaton's face

BTW, played the game over the past few weeks, and I have to say that I loved it. will write up more detailed impressions soon.

Ultimadrago

I really want to get the plush Toriel, but to get it shipped (safely) up to Canada land will cost me 88 Canadian dollars :(

Holy Jesus. FanGamer has been around for a while, right? I was certain they'd have a cheaper route for international shipping (especially within the Americas). I suppose that was just a bad hunch though.

Edit: Oh, I read too quickly. That's like $65 US or so. Still, not cheap!

It's almost hilarious how many more views Megalovania has on YouTube compared to every other song. The highest upload is at 8 million. Which is like, double ASGORE.

Saikyo

It's almost hilarious how many more views Megalovania has on YouTube compared to every other song. The highest upload is at 8 million. Which is like, double ASGORE.

Of course. Its the theme of the most creative boss in the game and also has the fame from before with earthbound hacks and homestuck...

I'm something like a third through the game, maybe (not clear). A question has been bugging me, I already learned that not carrying the stick has led to me missing some additional options. (
Playing Fetch with the dogs.
) This is my first time through, trying for Pacifist. Should I just carry the stick all of the time, or is it a good idea to keep equipping the new weapons I find, even if I don't use them? I got the impression a piece of dialogue changed a little because I did (
tutu and ballerina shoes
), but I'm not sure.

Kangi

I'm something like a third through the game, maybe (not clear). A question has been bugging me, I already learned that not carrying the stick has led to me missing some additional options. (
Playing Fetch with the dogs.
) This is my first time through, trying for Pacifist. Should I just carry the stick all of the time, or is it a good idea to keep equipping the new weapons I find, even if I don't use them? I got the impression a piece of dialogue changed a little because I did (
tutu and ballerina shoes
), but I'm not sure.

You get those optional events through using it from your inventory, not equipping it as your weapon. You can just carry it around and deploy it whenever you feel like it may do something.

You'll find that the game gives lots of attention to little details and interactions like that.

You get those optional events through using it from your inventory, not equipping it as your weapon. You can just carry it around and deploy it whenever you feel like it may do something.

You'll find that the game gives lots of attention to little details and interactions like that.

Alright then. Thanks.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bought this when it came out but I never got around to playing it until now.

I played until just past the ruins.
I killed Toriel without meaning too and wanted to revert my decision. So I reset the game and just proceeded to show mercy continuously. The fact that the game knew that I saw her die was a really, really cool bit. I'm excited for what's to come.

Top Bottom