• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Eusis

Good god, doing the genocide run and
Sans makes me wish I could use save states just to keep redoing at least the last portion until I nail it. Or just each part with maximum health. Ah well.

peakish

I suppose this has been covered in the thread already, but it's a bit long to read through so I'll bring it up again.

I'm not sure I understand what actually happened to Asriel, or rather why he turned evil. The video tapes hinted at him and the human trying to break the barrier by themselves, and that their actions caused the death. But I've seen no real reason for 1) why Asriel's soul was caught in the flower, nor 2) what turned the soul into a maniac. Was this just an effect of the flower body not being able to feel empathy?

I mostly loved the game, but this stuck out as somewhat contrived to me. As in, I don't really buy it and it feels out of place in a game world that otherwise feels so well thought out and realised.

What I'd like to ask is if I've missed something about this.

I suppose this has been covered in the thread already, but it's a bit long to read through so I'll bring it up again.

I'm not sure I understand what actually happened to Asriel, or rather why he turned evil. The video tapes hinted at him and the human trying to break the barrier by themselves, and that their actions caused the death. But I've seen no real reason for 1) why Asriel's soul was caught in the flower, nor 2) what turned the soul into a maniac. Was this just an effect of the flower body not being able to feel empathy?

I mostly loved the game, but this stuck out as somewhat contrived to me. As in, I don't really buy it and it feels out of place in a game world that otherwise feels so well thought out and realised.

What I'd like to ask is if I've missed something about this.

Genocide run + general game spoilers:
The end of the Genocide run clarifies that Flowey also had some level of control over save states, and as long as he had DETERMINATION, he could pull himself from the brink of death by reloading. Ultimately, as Asriel, he continued to do this until he had exhausted every single action, reaction, string of dialogue, etc. with everybody in the underground until he had become bored with it, and got to the point where he was killing everybody in his "runs" just for the sake of it.

As for why he's a flower, remember how Asriel died, retreating to the underground, only to turn into dust, showering his favorite flower in ashes?

Also,
he turned evil for 2 reasons. One is that as a flower he was devoid of emotion no matter what he did or how much he helped others. That is why he flipped to the other extreme and attempted to kill everything to have fun and squeeze out any and all emotional satisfaction.

Second, he and Chara made a promise to "free everyone" which in Chara's terms specifically means to kill everyone, to "free" them of their souls. You can tell in the tapes that Asriel was hesitant to do this but since Chara was his best friend he wanted to do it for his/her sake.

So I was reading TV Tropes and saw this:
Animesque: In the final battle, he crosses the Bishonen Line, calls his attacks, and the attacks themselves are visually stunning and look like complete overkill. It's actually a kind of sad twist on this trope by reminding you that under that almost demonic looking exterior, he's just an eight-year old fighting like how he would have seen in a cartoon or read in a comic.
I thought the last part was a fun interpretation of the character, especially since anime seems canonical. That's certainly what I thought was cool when I was his age...

Obviously a stretch, but it's non obtrusive.

NEO0MJ

Also,
he turned evil for 2 reasons. One is that as a flower he was devoid of emotion no matter what he did or how much he helped others. That is why he flipped to the other extreme and attempted to kill everything to have fun and squeeze out any and all emotional satisfaction.

It's funny to note that he might not have ever fully succeeded in that task (killing everyone) thanks to Sans who forced Flowey to reset whenever he felt that Flowey crossed a certain line.

Glad there seemingly won't be any more story stuff added. There's pretty much a perfect amount of tidbits here and there to make the
Gaster
stuff interesting and fun to speculate about, and returning to any main story content would probably just detract from the ending.

Glad there seemingly won't be any more story stuff added. There's pretty much a perfect amount of tidbits here and there to make the
Gaster
stuff interesting and fun to speculate about, and returning to any main story content would probably just detract from the ending.

Idk. I can see what you mean. There is the danger of sullying something that already stands as a shining example of a satisfying narrative but...

It's just something I've never been apart of! Stuff being added in the crevices to expand the supporting story. I don't want the main quest altered, but I am fascinated by how this has been handled. It's a great way to support the community past what I think he's really obligated to.

Also, he said he wasn't adding anything in 1.001 too... so I wouldn't count it out.

(Who knows, Homestuck kind of hints at things never explored for Fan fuel. Maybe it's just so we can have fun imagining.)

Parshias7

Also,

I don't think he necessarily had fun killing everyone or being evil, despite whatever creepy smiles Flowey showed every now and then. There's part Flowey-as-a-character and part Flowey-as-stand-in-for-gamers. Flowey lacks compassion for the characters in a video game just like most gamers do, and so he ended up going around killing them just because he could, just because he was bored. He had explored nearly every possibility of being friendly and being helpful, so he wanted to see what the other side was like. Not unlike players who finish up the Pacifist ending and want to go ahead and find out what's different in Genocide.

peakish

Genocide run + general game spoilers:
The end of the Genocide run clarifies that Flowey also had some level of control over save states, and as long as he had DETERMINATION, he could pull himself from the brink of death by reloading. Ultimately, as Asriel, he continued to do this until he had exhausted every single action, reaction, string of dialogue, etc. with everybody in the underground until he had become bored with it, and got to the point where he was killing everybody in his "runs" just for the sake of it.

As for why he's a flower, remember how Asriel died, retreating to the underground, only to turn into dust, showering his favorite flower in ashes?

Also,

Second, he and Chara made a promise to "free everyone" which in Chara's terms specifically means to kill everyone, to "free" them of their souls. You can tell in the tapes that Asriel was hesitant to do this but since Chara was his best friend he wanted to do it for his/her sake.
Thanks for your replies.

This all seems so disconnected from the rest of the game, though. Going full meta with character motivations is just weird when everyone else is grounded in the presented world setting. I still get this feeling that this is a very contrived villain, more like playing a Gotcha at the player than being a natural part of the game.

I need to stew on this for a bit.

Thanks for your replies.

This all seems so disconnected from the rest of the game, though. Going full meta with character motivations is just weird when everyone else is grounded in the presented world setting. I still get this feeling that this is a very contrived villain, more like playing a Gotcha at the player than being a natural part of the game.

I need to stew on this for a bit.

When you play a game so many times that every string of commands awards you the same nugget of "reward" dialogue, I imagine it'd be hard to continue caring. Every "we love you" and "please say, we need you" starts to sound programmed instead of sincere. Everyone is an algorithm, a series of numbers with finite potential. I can see how it's full "meta" because it's us tirelessly digging at the neat little package given to us until we finally betray our "values" to see what other secrets it's hiding behind the darker curtain, but it also makes commentary on Toby patching in more flavor text and optional post-game dialogue. That dialogue isn't unlike Frisk coming down, the first new toy Flowey has had in a long time, making the game valuable again.

But in context I think it's just as effective, he's the other side of Sans. Sans is exhausted because it's meaningless, all efforts will reset so why try anything. Flowey has the opposite problem, he's tried EVERYTHING and it's still meaningless.

peakish

When you play a game so many times that every string of commands awards you the same nugget of "reward" dialogue, I imagine it'd be hard to continue caring. Every "we love you" and "please say, we need you" starts to sound programmed instead of sincere. Everyone is an algorithm, a series of numbers with finite potential. I can see how it's full "meta" because it's us tirelessly digging at the neat little package given to us until we finally betray our "values" to see what other secrets it's hiding behind the darker curtain, but it also makes commentary on Toby patching in more flavor text and optional post-game dialogue. That dialogue isn't unlike Frisk coming down, the first new toy Flowey has had in a long time, making the game valuable again.

But in context I think it's just as effective, he's the other side of Sans. Sans is exhausted because it's meaningless, all efforts will reset so why try anything. Flowey has the opposite problem, he's tried EVERYTHING and it's still meaningless.
Been reading and thinking a bit since this morning, and it seems like things take an interesting turn for the final playthrough. I'm not sure I can go through with that (right now), but it seemingly puts the meta story in another light which I can appreciate.

More than that however, I've spent the day thinking of how much the game absolutely gets right even without that final piece. Few games take me so quickly from laughing to feeling desperate or sad. I've remembered how lost I felt during my first playthrough as I couldn't save characters I cared about and how their final moments made me feel. How I slowly started looking at the game world differently as I spent time in it. How nice it was to play a game whose humour doesn't largely rely on pop culture references or OMG RANDOM but on actual character work. That's so refreshing.

Whether or not the final third of the game drags a bit is something I'm already starting to forget.

Theoretical technical question.

Scrapping some bits of the music, the design of the
Omega Flowey fight
and, of course, the fact that it wouldn't be done in game maker but some time appropriate method - could this game actually run, looking exactly like as it does now, on an SNES?

Saikyo

Theoretical technical question.

Scrapping some bits of the music, the design of the
Omega Flowey fight
and, of course, the fact that it wouldn't be done in game maker but some time appropriate method - could this game actually run, looking exactly like as it does now, on an SNES?

I think maybe SNES couldnt handle some bullet hell parts like
Toriel, Asgore and the true end boss
, also there is a lot of sprite rotations at the same time so if they "ported" this on SNES some sprites could be or less animated or "static".

Been reading and thinking a bit since this morning, and it seems like things take an interesting turn for the final playthrough. I'm not sure I can go through with that (right now), but it seemingly puts the meta story in another light which I can appreciate.

More than that however, I've spent the day thinking of how much the game absolutely gets right even without that final piece. Few games take me so quickly from laughing to feeling desperate or sad. I've remembered how lost I felt during my first playthrough as I couldn't save characters I cared about and how their final moments made me feel. How I slowly started looking at the game world differently as I spent time in it. How nice it was to play a game whose humour doesn't largely rely on pop culture references or OMG RANDOM but on actual character work. That's so refreshing.

Whether or not the final third of the game drags a bit is something I'm already starting to forget.

I think of it like a 4 act play instead, and find act 2 to be the biggest drag. Mettaton has some of the most hilarious gag moments, and the ending is rewarding... Waterfall is just meh.

I think maybe SNES couldnt handle some bullet hell parts like
Toriel, Asgore and the true end boss
, also there is a lot of sprite rotations at the same time so if they "ported" this on SNES some sprites could be or less animated or "static".
I think it could be done with Super FX + Mode 7. Wouldn't be as detailed and you'd probably need to tone down some attacks but I don't think they'd have to be static.

Sans
could be a big problem though

Susanna of Fontanarossa (1435-1489) was most likely the mother of Cristoforo Colombo, a Genoese wool weaver commonly believed to have been Christopher Columbus, a navigator and explorer who is generally credited as a discoverer of the Americas.

CLEARLY Suzy is Sans and Papyrus' mother as she is from FONTanarossa. She's probably the oldest resident and founder of the Underground. /s

Welp. I have been looking into any Fonts with Suzy in it. All seem to be custom, so I doubt they'd be an inspiration. Just curious because it triggers that special image in Sans' Workshop.

DNAbro

Only thing I'm worried about is the quantity of the figurines. Looking back at some of Fangamer's old ones, the high quality ones were limited to 250 which I'm going to guess is going to go in an instant with this.

Dez_

Long after I've finished this game with multiple playthroughs, I still have a lot of the game's music stuck in my head. Damn, Toby did a fantastic job with the game's soundtrack.

poutmeter

Only thing I'm worried about is the quantity of the figurines. Looking back at some of Fangamer's old ones, the high quality ones were limited to 250 which I'm going to guess is going to go in an instant with this.

The game is so popular, I can see the stock getting bought in a few minutes. I wonder if there's a way to be alerted whenever the figurines are available; I really want to get the skelebros, and they'd probably be sold out first.

Here's hoping they take notice of the demand and make enough.

DNAbro

The game is so popular, I can see the stock getting bought in a few minutes. I wonder if there's a way to be alerted whenever the figurines are available; I really want to get the skelebros, and they'd probably be sold out first.

Here's hoping they take notice of the demand and make enough.

yeah I'm going to be stalking their twitter and site Monday to try and make sure I get one. I really hope they don't go on sale while I'm in class.

NEO0MJ

Part of me wants to wait until the Undertale high fades away before jumping into buying merchandise but another part is worried that they might sell out in a blink of an eye.

Zubz

Banned
So long as this isn't one of those $150 statuettes/it doesn't sell out I seconds, I'm jumping right on a Papyrus figurine.

I don't care if it's Morf Amiibo-tier.

After over 60 tries I finally beat the game on genocide. No I haven't beaten it on pacifist and never will because
as far as I'm concerned Undertale is done and over the world is erased and there is no point anymore. Just me and Chara, forever. <3

mbpm1

After over 60 tries I finally beat the game on genocide. No I haven't beaten it on pacifist and never will because
as far as I'm concerned Undertale is done and over the world is erased and there is no point anymore. Just me and Chara, forever. <3

Thanks Satan

You're right though

NEO0MJ

You're an animal, cold blooded and heartless. How does it feel living without a conscious?

JGCD

Neo Member
I wanted to post my feedback on this game and wanted to share something about this game that I kinda share around my group of friends and feel it to be true (sorry if my grammer is bad)

SPOLIERS AHEAD

So I am one to say that I really enjoyed this game to the hype that was flooding GAF. The high points were the combat,music and general flow of the story, had a good length to it. But something else really clicked with me when I was playing it again. Doing the game first run and getting the true ending was great and I gave it a personal score of an 8.5 (which in my head was really good) and I decided to do the genocide run.

After the run (which was NOT easy) I looked at the game in a completely different light.The genocide run is the best run in the game and I will fight anyone who said otherwise. Before you write me off as Satan pet noodle, let me explain a few things in the pacifist run that I didn't really like

-Most of the main characters (for some reason they didn't stick to me, including the main character
-Pretty much all of the boss fights are dodge dodge DODGE until the end
-The canon reasoning of doing a pure pacifist run in the first place

Now the above are mostly nick-pick and things I can be proven wrong easily if it were a debate or something. And most of these are due to my personal preference for things. Of course, you could see why I prefer the genocide run as it kinda negates my list but it goes deeper than that. When I heard the game had two different ending (Pacifist and Genocide) I wasn't expecting much since most games that do the whole "good" and "evil" do it very poorly (mostly bioware games). However, during the middle of the run, I felt something I usually didnt feel in a game like this. I felt bad. Reallly bad and ooh boy that feel AMAZING. I was ecstatic like the entire time, The whole game felt different. You were evil and it showed everywhere in the littlest details. There wasnt no dumb choice like "save the money or the babies" shit or whatever they got nowadays. You just killed, pure and simple, and that bought the game to an 11 to me. Some people dont have the balls to do what toby did and i dont care if it a meme game or whatever haters are saying

Undertale is dark

Darker than any AAA game out there

To sum up, I just enjoyed my time and eagerly await whatever else this man puts out

mbpm1

-Most of the main characters (for some reason they didn't stick to me, including the main character
-Pretty much all of the boss fights are dodge dodge DODGE until the end
-The canon reasoning of doing a pure pacifist run in the first place

Thanks Satan

I agree with you about genocide mode though

NEO0MJ

When I heard the game had two different ending (Pacifist and Genocide) I wasn't expecting much since most games that do the whole "good" and "evil" do it very poorly (mostly bioware games). However, during the middle of the run, I felt something I usually didnt feel in a game like this. I felt bad. Reallly bad and ooh boy that feel AMAZING. I was ecstatic like the entire time, The whole game felt different. You were evil and it showed everywhere in the littlest details. There wasnt no dumb choice like "save the money or the babies" shit or whatever they got nowadays. You just killed, pure and simple, and that bought the game to an 11 to me. Some people dont have the balls to do what toby did and i dont care if it a meme game or whatever haters are saying

Undertale is dark

Darker than any AAA game out there

To sum up, I just enjoyed my time and eagerly await whatever else this man puts out

I feel you're getting an incomplete experience if you don't take on genocide mode. One of my favorite things is
In the fight against Sans where he says he was hoping you'd be friends and tells you of what he had in mind to win you over. It's pretty much the exact same things he did with you in pacifist mode. Add in the "awesome" ending where you fight a god and beat him with dreams and hopes and Flowey telling you that if you reset you'd ruin their perfect new happy lives, then the part where Sans said that someone like you would never be satisfied becomes perfect. I mean they gave the perfect feel good happy ending but you still wanted to see what would happen if you did things differently, eventually going as far as to kill every soul in the underground. I rather liked this comic.

blurr

I finished it recently, that final battle was trippy and the ending itself was very cool. I really enjoyed my time with it, lots of good messages and themes through out the game. I love the idea of an 'empathy' system but I wish more work went into it than just to select some 'abstract choices'.

mbpm1

Then the part where Sans said that someone like you would never be satisfied becomes perfect. I mean they gave the perfect feel good happy ending but you still wanted to see what would happen if you did things differently, eventually going as far as to kill every soul in the underground.

That's the thing, I wasn't that person.
The game as a whole was strengthened by it, but I definitely don't think your experience was lessened by not doing it.

Top Bottom