• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft III Reforged Edition (Remaster) Announced!

I mean Hong Kong is Chinese. Just take a look at a map. In 25 years it will have chinese laws. No matter if one likes it or not. it is a losing battle.

No one knows exactly what's going to happen.

I think it is very likely, given all the current political issues at large, that what you predict will happen, with the western countries that "champion democracy" whistling and looking the other way because of their financial entanglements with China. But you don't take a stand just because you are likely to win, it's a matter of principle. Besides, the less pushback you give, the quicker and greedier their next big move will be.

Reactions: Fuz

TexMex

A lot of people are playing apparently - Grubby is showing a fair amount. Overall, I think it looks great. Looks pretty complete and they're still taking preorders on the battle.net launcher promising a 2019 release. Wouldn't be surprised to see an "it's available right NOW" drop at Blizzcon in a couple weeks. I sure hope so.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
they are all paid monthly, so how are the devs fucked?
yeah i would love working on something for months and then just throwing it in the bin.
100% satisfaction. No passion at my work at all. nope none

Panda1

Banned
yeah i would love working on something for months and then just throwing it in the bin.
100% satisfaction. No passion at my work at all. nope none

why would a developer throw his stuff into the bin - the developers do not run the company they - surprisingly (the clue in the word development ) do development?

All the devs have been paid, the game will come out if it sells zero copies everyone has still been paid - its not like an indy. The devs and most staff will get fuck all bonus from sales. Do you think the cameraman on Endgame gave a fuck about if it made 1billion of 10bucks? he did his job and is onto the next one.

Oh and what magical world is this where people work in passionate, lovely, rainbow offices. 99% of people hate their jobs and would be anywhere else - the same for every developer - Just cause you like playing games does not mean everyone else involved is as fanatical about it as you. Its just a job to everyone working there or else they would have all quit/striked if we actually lived in this world where anyone gave a fuck.

Spukc

some people have fun at their jobs unlike you it seems.
it's not always about MONEY
if you feel like that yourself i suggest you to get another job.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

After all the s***t blizzard pulled out those last 6-7years(the last good think blizzard did was starcraft 2) they can f off. If they really want to redeem themselves they will make a true warcraft sequel (and not that bs mmo crap). Besides if i want to play warcraft 3 i will fire up the original game install a texture and high definition mod and not pay blizzard 40-50 euros to play something that looks its been done with minimum effort

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
why would a developer throw his stuff into the bin - the developers do not run the company they - surprisingly (the clue in the word development ) do development?

All the devs have been paid, the game will come out if it sells zero copies everyone has still been paid - its not like an indy. The devs and most staff will get fuck all bonus from sales. Do you think the cameraman on Endgame gave a fuck about if it made 1billion of 10bucks? he did his job and is onto the next one.

Oh and what magical world is this where people work in passionate, lovely, rainbow offices. 99% of people hate their jobs and would be anywhere else - the same for every developer - Just cause you like playing games does not mean everyone else involved is as fanatical about it as you. Its just a job to everyone working there or else they would have all quit/striked if we actually lived in this world where anyone gave a fuck.
Not everyone thinks of their job the way you do, though

At the end of the day, my bills need to be paid, and my job needs to be secure and stable to do that consistently. Regardless if I felt a project was my baby or I really liked the job, if I was laid off or fired (Both have happened) I don't fight to stay at that company, I move on and look for the next exciting project that can provide income.
I may even leave if I get that bored or there's nothing new.
If the company or the customers didn't like the product I helped create, or just didn't buy it; oh well, I still have to take care of my adult responsibilities, time to move on and get my bills paid.

I like to make examples by putting it to the extremes; if Blizzard came out and said specifically "We support China and not Hong Kong, and will be working with Tencent to put our money to good use in that sector," would you be cool with it?
Some people think to the extremes, unfortunately for us level headed people, and the interwebs these days shows that all too well with cancel culture and shit.

It's not like us people who are not going to purchase it day 1 aren't going to purchase it later; Blizzard might dump Tencent like a bad ex in the future.

Helios

Day 1. They really should create WC4 and ignore Wow completely.
You're buying this day one, yet you want them to ignore WoW completely? You realize they already said the story is going to be retconned to fit wow, right?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Because of the issue about Blizzard and China.
As long as it doesn't prevent Reforged from coming out.
giphy.gif

Panda1

Banned

Study: 71 percent of employees are looking for new jobs. The vast majority of 17,000 U.S. workers in 19 industries who participated in a survey conducted by the nonprofit group Mental Health America and the Faas Foundation said they are unhappy with their jobs.19 Oct 2017

Its alwaya about money..thats the only reason any well paid job is well paid no one would do it unless they were getting lots of cash.

Helios

I actually didn't hear that. That is disappointing and sad.
Writer Christie Golden, who has worked with Blizzard on multiple novels set in the Warcraft universe over the past two decades, is helping to bring “parity” to the stories of Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft, which will require retconning some of the strategy game’s story. Those changes will bring “renewed focus to a few central characters that we thought deserved a little bit more time in the limelight,” Stillwell said.

“There’s been 16 years of evolution of this franchise outside of this game,” Stillwell explained. “Some of that, especially central characters like Jaina and Sylvanas, these people who mean so much more to the world now who didn’t get as much focus [in the original Warcraft 3] because we just didn’t know where they were going to be.”

There will also be updates to Warcraft 3’s world layout and locations ... and even its Murlocs.

“The missions themselves, like what you see in ‘The Culling,’ we didn’t just replace the artwork, we relayed it out to be what people expect from World of Warcraft,” Souza, a lead artist on Reforged, said. “[Players have] gone through Stratholme while it’s burning. They’ve gone through Stratholme with Arthas as he’s doing the Culling, and that’s one of those things where we’re recreating the [Stratholme] that people know, rather than one that was in the original Warcraft 3, which if you looked at it really didn’t make much sense — it had Greek columns, and these whale statues and this river going through it. So where we can make those changes where it brings parity with World of Warcraft which has done so much with the characters, with the lore, and the locations...”

“And a lot of stuff in Warcraft 3 was just kind of put in as ‘Hey, isn’t this awesome? This is cool.’ Like the Murlocs for instance. One of the artists back in the day, he came in over the weekend because he felt that there needed to be more creeps on the maps ... so he just retextured what the ghoul was and he made a Murloc. That was how the Murloc was born. Just this guy [being] really passionate wanting more stuff. Then in World of Warcraft, Murlocs are everywhere — they’ve gotten a society, they’ve got heroes — so we want to make sure that [Reforged’s] Murlocs, are those Murlocs.”

Saber

After seeing a few videos, I feel like this game is so "ew".

Like, I dunno if I can recognize Tauren Chiefstain when he looks more like a furry character. Worst case was Shadow Hunter, he now looks like one of those LOL characters, very lamish design.

I decided that I rather stick with the normals one, thank you. They're still fun to play, nothing wrong with them visually and art.

Last edited:

Murr

No one knows exactly what's going to happen.

I think it is very likely, given all the current political issues at large, that what you predict will happen, with the western countries that "champion democracy" whistling and looking the other way because of their financial entanglements with China. But you don't take a stand just because you are likely to win, it's a matter of principle. Besides, the less pushback you give, the quicker and greedier their next big move will be.

Well, you think anyone will start ww3 over Hong Kong? I'm sure the West wil try to make it as expensive as possible for China. But in the end Hong Kong is a part of China. I mean how funny would you find it if china officially supported some californian independence movement in the US. Not a very nice move.

Well, you think anyone will start ww3 over Hong Kong? I'm sure the West wil try to make it as expensive as possible for China. But in the end Hong Kong is a part of China. I mean how funny would you find it if china officially supported some californian independence movement in the US. Not a very nice move.

As I stated previously in the post, I think everyone will look the other way.

China agreed when the British withdrew to allow Hong Kong to have a diplomatic government.

The Californian independence part is a false equivalence. It's not a similar situation as China doesn't really hold human freedom as a value (exhibit a: China) and Californians are free, since they're Americans. They have all sorts of rights protecting them, freedom of speech and freedom to use guns to protect selves and all of that stuff. Technically, if they wanted it bad enough and had the votes California should be able to leave America, although it would be a long boring process where the constitution would have to be amended. The whole thing would probably resemble brexit to some degree, maybe a lot given how much the values the nation was built on have eroded and been lost over time.

What's not very nice is beating the shit out of protesters standing up for the rights you agreed that they could have.

TexMex

Got into the beta - won 3 games. Pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Visual update is very nice. Just need something to bring some more players to the table so the servers are populated and I'm happy.

Gotta say tho - this beta is more like alpha. Some things are pretty rough around the edges, but all presentation. Gameplay itself is pitch perfect.

Spukc

game is live and it supports ultrawide res. 21:9
Just put it in windowed full screen and BAM.

full support so insta buy for me heck even 120fps <3

HD St.

Neo Member
game is live and it supports ultrawide res. 21:9
Just put it in windowed full screen and BAM.

full support so insta buy for me heck even 120fps <3

What resolution are you running? Just booted it up and can't run my ultrawide native res, not even an option.

Edit: Just seent the "windowed fullscreen". Sorry

Last edited:

TexMex

They came a long way from beta just a couple months ago, which was unplayable. They still have some improvements to make but overall I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. Everything looks nice, runs smooth. I would have been happy to just get WC3 classic on the launcher, but with the option to switch between new and old visuals and a revitalized player base - it's really all I wanted. Loving it.

Spukc

I played the first 5 missions. Barely played it back in the day as i was not really a pc gamer so mainly with friends. The map editor is so much fun! Heard that they even made a streetfighter map or something. Great time waster.
Need to play some more later.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Between the trash fire that was WoD and Legion, the sad failure of what-could-have-been-excellent BFA, the overly politicized and slow paced trash that is Overwatch, the poorly balanced and pay-to-win shit show that is Hearthstone, the middle finger to HotS and Diablo, the shambling corpse of Starcraft, and now this - Blizzard clearly doesn't give a shit anymore. I have tried to look at them optimistically, but every turn they fuck it up.

warcraft 3 is my favorite PC game ever.

what’s awful about it? Do you have it?

It is nothing but a buggier, uglier version of the original. Cutscenes have less camerawork and animation. The majority of new features were cut, such as a new and expanded story alongside the original to better tie in to the retcons and changes in WoW's story, the improved cutscenes, new missions, new maps, new dialogue, etc. Literally anyone who paid attention to the development or played the original and this one can see it.

Hell, just take a look at one of the most infamous scenes in the original:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's not vs the original though, that's reforged as advertised originally (and recently) vs reforged as what it ended up being.

Where's a comparison with the original WC3 to see if there's really less camera work and such, I find that hard to believe, that they'd go to the trouble of editing them (other than plopping the new assets in) to make them worse vs leaving them intact when they scrapped the idea of remaking them all fully as shown there.

Edit: found a (stretched?) vid of the original. Definitely looks hugely different after all but I'm not sure if it's a downgrade in THAT aspect particularly, the character placement and such seems more natural for the scene in reforged to me. But the rest is better in WC3. Too bad it's not as seen on the left above though.

Edit again:
Play the game and find out yourself. Or better yet, do your own research. You are a grown adult, I believe you can do it.
How stupid are you, you made a claim and it's somehow weird and childish that someone pointed your video didn't actually match up your claim and asked if you might have one that does since you're the one that made it?

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
That's not vs the original though, that's reforged as advertised originally (and recently) vs reforged as what it ended up being.

Where's a comparison with the original WC3 to see if there's really less camera work and such, I find that hard to believe, that they'd go to the trouble of editing them (other than plopping the new assets in) to make them worse vs leaving them intact when they scrapped the idea of remaking them all fully as shown there.

Play the game and find out yourself. Or better yet, do your own research. You are a grown adult, I believe you can do it.

Last edited:

lefty1117

I'm playing the game myself and am having a great time. Your hate for Blizzard seems a bit over the top, even irrational. We'll mark you down as a Blizzard-hater and move on. Good day sir

Spukc

I'm playing the game myself and am having a great time. Your hate for Blizzard seems a bit over the top, even irrational. We'll mark you down as a Blizzard-hater and move on. Good day sir
pro tip just ignore that shit,
every damn blizz game that launches has tons of haters.

ehhhh

Just because Warcraft 3 is in it's base still a great game because it was made by old Blizzard, new Blizzard have done almost nothing for this 'remaster' and still charges you 30 bucks.

Lo fucking L for falling for their greedy trap. You only have yourself to blame.

pro tip just ignore that shit,
every damn blizz game that launches has tons of haters.

Who is hating on WC3?

People are hating at the very low amount of effort put into this remaster, then having the gall to charge 30 bucks.

If you want to be an idiot and give away money to Activision, be our guest.

But what is the upside to buying it if you already own the originals?

Spukc

Who is hating on WC3?

People are hating at the very low amount of effort put into this remaster, then having the gall to charge 30 bucks.

If you want to be an idiot and give away money to Activision, be our guest.

But what is the upside to buying it if you already own the originals?

So i am an idiot now?

30 bucks for a solid pc game graphical update with an insane amount of mods seems fine by me.
just move along and get a refund.

Starcraft HD was also a ton of fun

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is it possible to do 4v4 and 5v5 matchmaking like sc2 or is it not possible?

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Edit again:
How stupid are you, you made a claim and it's somehow weird and childish that someone pointed your video didn't actually match up your claim and asked if you might have one that does since you're the one that made it?

Irony. Calling someone childish immediately after throwing a temper tantrum via insults.

Last edited:
Top Bottom