• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Ydahs

Hmm, it's day six, but I think I'm going to take the rest today and do Kenpo tomorrow. I think I tweaked my groin muscle :/

Better to rest it out than push and get injured.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It's my birthday today and ate some cake. Idk if I should feel bad but I'm very certain cheating will not be permitted anymore as this was a one time thing.

DR2K

Banned
Marius_ said:
Day 3,

I dont trust these bands, my arms aren't burning

What color are they? the color makes a difference in resistance. The bands do work if used correctly.

I'm so excited for MC2. Just love doing p90 workouts.

OG Kush

How useful is X Stretch and Core Synergistics? Is it ok to swap thse for high cardio workouts (insanity) or do they really benefit me? I was also thinking of replacing yoga with insanity as well but you lot seem to think the yoga its amazing and def helps?

Neifirst

I wouldn't skip Core Synergistics - it has a good mix of push-ups, some resistance training, and some surprisingly tough cardio (especially the plank run!). I've replaced X Stretch with plyometrics on occasion.

OG Kush

Neifirst said:
I wouldn't skip Core Synergistics - it has a good mix of push-ups, some resistance training, and some surprisingly tough cardio (especially the plank run!). I've replaced X Stretch with plyometrics on occasion.
Ok cool thanks for info.
Also anyone got any tips for Ab Ripper X? I just find it hard to balance myself in that position sitting on the mat.

If anyone doing P90X is interested in joining Fitocracy, I created a thread here that has an invite link in the first post. There's already a gaf group on there and signing up with the link in the op automatically invites you to the group.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm starting on Nov 1st, it's gonna be hell. Should I do anything in the week before hand to get my body ready? I don't do much of anything lately since school work, so i'm afraid when I start it'll be too sudden on my body.

mm04

Other than starting early, nothing will really prepare your body for it if you're not working out already. That first 10 days or so every body part will be sore. It lessens after that, but expect it to be worse at first.

Just remember when Tony Horton says to pace yourself, do it. Use that pause button and fight your way through it. Best to take a little longer to finish than to quit.

Make sure you have all the necessary equipment. I typically watch new routines the day before just to get an idea of what to expect and make sure I have the proper weights/bands ready.

OG Kush

I see that the only exercises for the chest in P90X are pushups? Does it give a good results for the chest by the end of the 3 months? Becuase I just don't see how it can work out your chest that much.

Mest30

Banned
OG Kush said:
I see that the only exercises for the chest in P90X are pushups? Does it give a good results for the chest by the end of the 3 months? Becuase I just don't see how it can work out your chest that much.

Doing a pushup is like bench pressing 50-60% of your body weight. If you do enough of them over 90 days, you will see some nice gains.

OG Kush said:

The chest is definitely the most neglected area in the program if you are looking to add muscle. You should be able to gain some definition in that area due to all of the push-ups, but if you frequent the gym and do bench presses, you will definitely want to continue doing some in addition to P90X if you want to add muscle mass.

One of the workouts does have you do dumbbell presses while laying on your back though.

OG Kush said:
i added benching the second time around instead of Yoga

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My chest muscles have been coming along nicely, I think. It's been incredible to see the difference in my ability as well.

When I first started...I couldn't do more than a couple pushups. Seriously. Shit was pathetic. Now I do over 100 of them over the course of the whole routine. I can do up to 20 in a single set now. I still have a hard time doing diamond push-ups, but I've gone from being able to do none to 5.

I'm on a modified program now that I've pretty much completed the whole thing. I'm a week away from my official end date, but I'm just going to keep going with my modified program.

Monday: Chest/Back or Chest/Shoulder/Tri + Ab Ripper
Tuesday: Generic Cardio (biking, running, elliptical etc)
Wednesday: Shoulders/Arms or Back/Biceps + Ab Ripper
Thursday: Generic Cardio (biking, running, elliptical, etc)
Friday: Core Synergistics
Saturday: Generic Cardio
Sunday: Generic Cardio

This should hit all the major muscle groups and give me a bit more freedom to do whatever I feel in the mood for on my cardio days.

My cardio activities work my legs pretty hard already which is why I'm removing the legs/back routine on Friday.

Ydahs

My surgically repaired wrist is start to give me troubles, both my shoulders (one which was partially dislocated previously) are starting to act up and now my right knee (which I injured during the year) is beginning to hurt.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this recovery week.

Only Kenpo and X Stretch left for the week. Not sure how much of Kenpo I can do with the shoulder problem, so I might just go for a jog instead.

mm04

Is this your first recovery week? If it is, Core Synergistics is the most ass kicking workout IMO. You've got that twice. My second recovery week starts on Monday, so that should be fun.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
katie-p90x.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
I'm starting on this in a few days, been doing pushups daily now to see how many reps I can make.

First it was 18, then 24, then the other day I did 32 until I literally could no longer hold myself up.

It was a rush to push myself to that level, can't wait to get started. :D

PS. How many reps do you guys do in the session? How many can you do max before/after P90?

Ydahs

mm04 said:
Is this your first recovery week? If it is, Core Synergistics is the most ass kicking workout IMO. You've got that twice. My second recovery week starts on Monday, so that should be fun.
Yeah, first recovery week. Can't wait for Core Synergistic :D

Sentry said:
I'm starting on this in a few days, been doing pushups daily now to see how many reps I can make.

First it was 18, then 24, then the other day I did 32 until I literally could no longer hold myself up.

It was a rush to push myself to that level, can't wait to get started. :D

PS. How many reps do you guys do in the session? How many can you do max before/after P90?
I could do above 40 standard push ups in one go before starting, but it's hard to compare since you don't really do it all in one shot during any work out.

During the back and chest workout, you'll be doing like six or seven sets of different types of push ups twice, so 12-14 sets in total. I recommend that you pace yourself. The first time doing it I did above 15 on most sets, but I didn't know we had to repeat it all again :|

If it's your first time, I recommend doing 8-10 reps in the first half and then do how much you can in the second. It gets a lot easier though. In my third week, I did 15 and above per set for most in the first half and managed to do close to 10 in the second half (~200 push ups in total).

noah111

Still Alive
Ydahs said:
I could do above 40 standard push ups in one go before starting, but it's hard to compare since you don't really do it all in one shot during any work out.

During the back and chest workout, you'll be doing like six or seven sets of different types of push ups twice, so 12-14 sets in total. I recommend that you pace yourself. The first time doing it I did above 15 on most sets, but I didn't know we had to repeat it all again :|

If it's your first time, I recommend doing 8-10 reps in the first half and then do how much you can in the second. It gets a lot easier though. In my third week, I did 15 and above per set for most in the first half and managed to do close to 10 in the second half (~200 push ups in total).
Nice, I used to have some muscle, and pretty chubby, but ever since i've moved out of the states i've gotten really skinny/barely do any workout. That's why I need to do this, gain muscle/get healthy.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with my diet though, I barely eat shit. Cereal, tomato sauce spaghetti, occasionally rice/potatoes/chicken, etc. Any simple yet effective diet plans that you guys have gone with?

mm04

Sentry said:
Nice, I used to have some muscle, and pretty chubby, but ever since i've moved out of the states i've gotten really skinny/barely do any workout. That's why I need to do this, gain muscle/get healthy.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with my diet though, I barely eat shit. Cereal, tomato sauce spaghetti, occasionally rice/potatoes/chicken, etc. Any simple yet effective diet plans that you guys have gone with?

If you want muscle, you're going to have to eat A LOT of protein. More than you think you'll be able to consume per day. If you don't at least follow some of the parameters of the nutrition plan in the book, you're gonna stay a wiry skinny guy who can do a lot of push-ups and pull-ups.

I personally had about 10 pounds or so of bad weight to turn into muscle, so I don't strictly follow any plan other than watch my caloric intake.

noah111

Still Alive
Fuck, I need to look at the nutrition guide more thoroughly.. but it isn't very clear/concise to me. Time to good picky food shopping. :lol

Ydahs

In the first Yoga session, I couldn't hold the 'Wheel' (or is it the 'Bridge'? the hard of the two) for more than a couple of seconds. Just did my fourth Yoga session and I can easily get into it and hold it for ~20 seconds :)

Still can't do the crane. I'm getting slightly better at the half moon and twisting half moon, but they tear my gluts to shreds.

I love yoga.

Though does anyone have an incredibly tight left hamstring and hip? I can't stretch that side nearly as well as my left without feeling like the muscles are going to tear apart.

Sentry said:

If you're skinny and want to gain a lot of muscle, straight up weight lifting and eating like a horse would probably work better for you than P90X.

noah111

Still Alive
I just want a 'thicker' skin I guess, like when I was fatter but with muscle. I need more than guns though (I already have pretty big biceps in comparison to the rest of my body).

What should my diet consist of, though? Carbs, Protein, fats? The nutrition guide doesn't say much, it's obviously made for shredding fat which I don't need to be doing much of.

SmokeMaxX

Anybody want to get in on this with me starting tomorrow? I need a partner to keep me motivated lol. We can even avatar bet before and after photos (not sure how that'd work, but I'd like some motivation).

Also, anyone recommend low carb diet with this? I guess low carbs + high protein + ...low fat? That's what I was thinking would be best to gain mass (as much as possible while losing weight, with cutting fat and getting a 6 pack being the priority).

noah111

Still Alive
I'm here SmokeMax, i'm actually planning on starting tomorrow too. Just set up a custom pull-up think I made out of some bars of metal and TV stands. :lol

I still need some heavier dumbbells but other than that i'm ready to start tomorrow.

Not sure about that avatar bet though, lmfao. I haven't even taken before pics yet, but I plan to. I'm a bit on the skinny side, not much fat and a bit thin, so i'll be eating high protein stuff 24/7.

I'm not sure about the diet part in general though. If you're in for tomorrow, so am I. Our timezones are different but you and I could always report back what we did, etc. if you want.

tribal24

Banned
im in also im starting back up tommorow i completed one whole cycle of p90x already which i lost 27 pounds in. After that i started doing it on and off for which i completely stoped for the past months and started eating bad. This time i want to keep my routine going and complete another cycle.

noah111

Still Alive
Awesome, will it be alright if we all report back every day/two here? Don't want it to feel like we're hijacking the thread.

Also, here's my calendar to visualize what i've gotta do (posted it a few pages back). Don't mind the year/dates, that was before I pushed it up. :lol

Sentry said:
[phase one]
2ctzk.png

[phase two]
XSSlm.png

[phase three]
2y28F.png

SmokeMaxX

Sentry said:
I'm here SmokeMax, i'm actually planning on starting tomorrow too. Just set up a custom pull-up think I made out of some bars of metal and TV stands. :lol

I still need some heavier dumbbells but other than that i'm ready to start tomorrow.

Not sure about that avatar bet though, lmfao. I haven't even taken before pics yet, but I plan to. I'm a bit on the skinny side, not much fat and a bit thin, so i'll be eating high protein stuff 24/7.

I'm not sure about the diet part in general though. If you're in for tomorrow, so am I. Our timezones are different but you and I could always report back what we did, etc. if you want.
Awesome! I'm in Central US time zone, just pulling an all-nighter because I'm in med school too haha. Big exam tomorrow! How'd you know we were in different time zones?

I lovingly call this program "p14x" because I keep doing this for exactly two weeks before I have to stop (midterms, finals, etc.) but I'm determined to push through this time!

And I need to take pics too haha. Some consider me skinny, but I used to play soccer for 12 straight years so I know that I'm way out of shape. Also I've never had a 6 pack and I have a bet with a friend that I'll get one by Christmas (just a goal, don't really care if I get it).

tribal24 said:
im in also im starting back up tommorow i completed one whole cycle of p90x already which i lost 27 pounds in. After that i started doing it on and off for which i completely stoped for the past months and started eating bad. This time i want to keep my routine going and complete another cycle.
Awesome! Good stuff. Let's do this guys haha.

And yeah I'm down to report every day or two as long as noone minds.

noah111

Still Alive
SmokeMaxX said:
Awesome! I'm in Central US time zone, just pulling an all-nighter because I'm in med school too haha. Big exam tomorrow! How'd you know we were in different time zones?

I lovingly call this program "p14x" because I keep doing this for exactly two weeks before I have to stop (midterms, finals, etc.) but I'm determined to push through this time!

And I need to take pics too haha. Some consider me skinny, but I used to play soccer for 12 straight years so I know that I'm way out of shape. Also I've never had a 6 pack and I have a bet with a friend that I'll get one by Christmas (just a goal, don't really care if I get it).

Awesome! Good stuff. Let's do this guys haha.

And yeah I'm down to report every day or two as long as noone minds.
Great, I also haven't slept since yesterday. I am on Athens Greece time, so right now it's 12:30PM, in the afternoon. I was central time when I lived in Houston so I got that down.

I'll be doing my workouts any time from 8:00 to 1:00 PM, which on central time is 3:00-8:00 PM. This will be my first run of P90X, ever, and I don't work out much to begin with.

Right now I can do 40 pushups total with perfect form if I try real hard, but I usually hit in the 30s max. Pull-ups I can do a few dozen if I don't go all the way down, around a dozen if I do.

I'm just looking to gain muscle and in general not look as thin, lose some stomach fat, maybe get a six pack. This will be awesome; 11/1/11 = THE DAY WE FACE P90X!

O.DOGG

I started phase 3 today. I feel a bit guilty for skipping a kenpo and a yoga workout during the recovery week but it's a recovery week, right? It felt good to be doing the familiar chest & back routine again. Looking forward to doing plyo tomorrow. One month to go!

OG Kush

On my 3rd week now.. I haven't doen Yoga once, am I at any disadvantage? I'll probably start it this week but goddamn 1hr30mins of yoga is gonna be so fuckin borring..

Ydahs

OG Kush said:
On my 3rd week now.. I haven't doen Yoga once, am I at any disadvantage? I'll probably start it this week but goddamn 1hr30mins of yoga is gonna be so fuckin borring..
Yoga is my favourite work out because it's the one where I can see a lot of improvement to be made.

The Yoga section is around 45 minutes, than the next 45 is split between balance exercises, stretching exercises and yoga belly X. Just do the first 45 minutes of it if it's too long.

Do it. It's helped in freeing up my body and muscles. After doing it for the fourth time today, I certainly feel a lot more flexible and smoother in some exercises from other workouts that I struggled with early on. I'd say it's the most important exercise for me.

xuchu

Started P90x after completing insanity and I'm on my 2nd week now. I have to say the warm ups are a joke but the actual workout is really good and intense. I find myself struggling to hit 10 pullups in the 2nd round whereas i hit 15 or 20(reverse grip) during the 1st. Plyo x was a step down from insanity but I really enjoy kenpo x for some reason. Btw, does anyone find tony a bit annoying compared to Shaun T?

Oh yeah...German potato soup!!!!!

OG Kush

Ydahs said:
Yoga is my favourite work out because it's the one where I can see a lot of improvement to be made.

The Yoga section is around 45 minutes, than the next 45 is split between balance exercises, stretching exercises and yoga belly X. Just do the first 45 minutes of it if it's too long.

Do it. It's helped in freeing up my body and muscles. After doing it for the fourth time today, I certainly feel a lot more flexible and smoother in some exercises from other workouts that I struggled with early on. I'd say it's the most important exercise for me.
Ah ok, may have to really get down to it then.

xuchu said:
Started P90x after completing insanity and I'm on my 2nd week now. I have to say the warm ups are a joke but the actual workout is really good and intense. I find myself struggling to hit 10 pullups in the 2nd round whereas i hit 15 or 20(reverse grip) during the 1st. Plyo x was a step down from insanity but I really enjoy kenpo x for some reason. Btw, does anyone find tony a bit annoying compared to Shaun T?

Oh yeah...German potato soup!!!!!

I did the same as you, Insanity before. I've replaced the p90x plyo with Insanity max interval plyo and the P90x kenpo with Max cardio conditioning. And then on the rest day I do Max interval circuit. The P90x cardio workouts just don't cut it after Insanity! And yes you're totally right with the warmups, they're a joke compared to insanity.

xuchu said:
Started P90x after completing insanity and I'm on my 2nd week now. I have to say the warm ups are a joke...
OG Kush said:
And yes you're totally right with the warmups, they're a joke compared to insanity.
This is a minor point, since you both seem to do and enjoy both programs (and I do too), but the warm-ups serve different purposes.

In Insanity, calling them "warm-ups" is largely a psychological tool. They're easily a quarter to a third of the whole routine, and they're intense. I'd wager that they designed it as such to make people push really hard in the beginning, so you have no choice but to be sweating and panting a few minutes in, which breaks down a lot of the mental barriers and maybe even gets you to your "second wind" early.

In P90X, they're mostly a traditional safety aspect, and I think it's a bad idea to skip them, even if they do seem like a waste of time.

Just started p90x classic, day 1 was hell, ab ripper finished me off, I had to pause a few times cause I was feeling dizzy and felt I was about to throw up, ate 2 chicken sandwiches after and I'm still feeling hungry is that normal? I feel a bit weak doing certain movements though the ache isn't that bad, btw I'm not using whey protein or recovery drinks etc are they really needed?

xuchu

OG Kush said:
I did the same as you, Insanity before. I've replaced the p90x plyo with Insanity max interval plyo and the P90x kenpo with Max cardio conditioning. And then on the rest day I do Max interval circuit. The P90x cardio workouts just don't cut it after Insanity! And yes you're totally right with the warmups, they're a joke compared to insanity.

Plyo X really doesn't do it for me. This may sound weird or possibly counter-productive, but I want to be drowning in my own sweat on cardio days. lol. Maybe I just want that runners' high.

UnblessedSoul said:
Just started p90x classic, day 1 was hell, ab ripper finished me off, I had to pause a few times cause I was feeling dizzy and felt I was about to throw up, ate 2 chicken sandwiches after and I'm still feeling hungry is that normal? I feel a bit weak doing certain movements though the ache isn't that bad, btw I'm not using whey protein or recovery drinks etc are they really needed?

Don't worry, it's totally normal and trust me it will get easier if you stick with it. When I first started insanity (another beachbody program) I threw up and could barely finish the workouts. Now I not only keep up on most of the videos but sometimes exceed their pace.
Don't worry about whey. Just follow these 3 rules:
1. Eat clean
2. Drink loads of water (2-3 litres a day)
3. Stay away from junk food.

Do your best and forget the rest!

Top Bottom