• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Shurs

nomster said:
The correct order for the first phase and last phase (3 weeks each) is - Chest&Back/Plyo/Arms&Shoulders/Yoga/Legs&Back/Kenpo/Rest or Stretch

The middle phase you switch Chest&Back for Chest&Shoulders&Triceps and switch Arms for Back& Biceps. I don't remember the recovery week order.
Where does Ab Ripper X fit in?

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

nomster

Shurs said:
Where does Ab Ripper X fit in?

Thanks for the responses, everyone.
Its tacked on to the end of the discs when you need to do it (basically all of the "muscle" workouts). You never have to put the ab ripper disc in.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, it's pretty easy to remember the swapped order, here is each month or 'phase';

[phase one]
2ctzk.png

[phase two]
XSSlm.png

[phase three]
2y28F.png

Study that a bit and you'll know the week routines by heart.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Day 2 of p90x and boy was I happy the last 9 minutes was a bonus round. Feeling tired as fuck.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just came home from school and I feel terrible. I have aches all over my body (arms, abdomen, thighs and hips), I'm slightly flared and I foretell a fever is coming. Some people go on even if they're sick and considering this is my 3rd day, should I go with the exercise or just wait for tomorrow morning?

MYE

Just clicked on the official website and their worldwide delivery system is shit.
Send email, wait for phone call...wtf?

And do i really need to buy their package, or is there a cheaper/more convenient alternative?
I'm lost here

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am planning to start my second round of P90x tomorrow. I did it this time last year and lost 20 pounds. I have since been unemployed and gotten a new job, thus I gained all that back. I am eating better now than I was then, so I am hoping I can drop 30 pounds or so.

Only thing that kills me about the program is how long it takes.

NoRéN

Good time to share: finally finished my first 90 days. I was 190 lbs, 6'0". Seeing pics of when I first met my lady really made me sad that I had let myself go. Got P90X and gave itmy best.

3 months later, Im at 170. I've put on muscle, my size 32jeans that used to cause me to have a muffin top now fit too loose. My large shirts fit too loose. I have some muscle on my arms and my legs look better than ever.

I never changed my diet so I'm sure I would look better.

Ydahs

NoRéN said:
Good time to share: finally finished my first 90 days. I was 190 lbs, 6'0". Seeing pics of when I first met my lady really made me sad that I had let myself go. Got P90X and gave itmy best.

3 months later, Im at 170. I've put on muscle, my size 32jeans that used to cause me to have a muffin top now fit too loose. My large shirts fit too loose. I have some muscle on my arms and my legs look better than ever.

I never changed my diet so I'm sure I would look better.
What you were is me now. 192lbs, 6'0". I would be amazed if I can get myself down to below 175lbs :eek:

Probably won't be able to since I have a fair bit of muscle anyway but I want to lose this belly... thinking of getting this and mixing it in with what I'm doing now. I'd love the challenge.

Has anyone bought this off eBay? Nervous about getting scammed into buying pirated copies though since Beachbody don't ship internationally, eBay may be my only choice.

NoRéN

Ydahs said:
What you were is me now. 192lbs, 6'0". I would be amazed if I can get myself down to below 175lbs :eek:

Probably won't be able to since I have a fair bit of muscle anyway but I want to lose this belly... thinking of getting this and mixing it in with what I'm doing now. I'd love the challenge.
As I have seen mentioned in the fitness and working out threads, you cant target weight loss. But, P90X will help.
I was had my doubts. But, i gave it my all, focused, and am happier than ive been in years. You already seem to have a good start. So, why not continue?

Also, one thing I learned from the commercials, no one mentions weight lose. Only improvements. Someone with muscle like you should not focus on pounds lost. Focus on the finished product. Muscle weighs more than fat.

SmokeMaxX

Ydahs said:
Has anyone bought this off eBay? Nervous about getting scammed into buying pirated copies though since Beachbody don't ship internationally, eBay may be my only choice.
Eh, they're just DVDs so besides the principle of it, you're really not losing any value if you DID get burned DVDs...

I'm thinking about doing something like this but I'm not sure if I care enough. All through high school I was pretty big, pushing 200 pounds, then I became borderline anorexic and dropped down to about 140, then during my stint at community college I started eating somewhat better and got up to 155, and when I moved out to transfer to a four-year school I started eating better still and working out and I'm just a hair under 180.

I work out about five days a week, and I look somewhat toned, but I'm definitely not muscular. I also still have some left-over pudge that I guess I'd lose easily enough if I just cut out sugar (I only drink water but I have a donut after breakfast a couple times a week and a few cookies after lunch if I don't have a donut, and occasionally ice cream after dinner) and was smarter about my diet (I eat a meal a day at my college's buffet-style cafeteria, and I tend to eat a lot to get my money's worth and just pile up on whatever sounds good at the time with no regards to carbs or protein or whatever).

I'm happy with how I look and I know I'm eating more than I strictly need to but I've maintained my current weight very consistently for about a year now, so while I like to lose the bits of fat I still have and gain some actual muscle mass, after reading stories of people doing P90X I just don't know if it'd be worth putting myself through physical hell while going to school full-time and working part-time.

On the other hand, while I'm proud of myself for getting my act together as much as I have, it would be nice to finish and be all stud-like and stuff.

OG Kush

I'm only 135 pounds (61 kgs), so by the end of this I should be looking pretty nice right? Not amazing but decent body for the beach eh? ;)

MYE

OG Kush said:
I'm only 135 pounds (61 kgs), so by the end of this I should be looking pretty nice right? Not amazing but decent body for the beach eh? ;)

How tall are you?

61 kgs seems a bit low for a dude

NoRéN

OG Kush said:
Definitely. If you follow the diet stuff, hell yes. Even if you don't, results will still be good. Stick to it and don't give up.

Septimius

MYE said:
Wait. The PS3's DVD playback software is region locked?

I'm fucked!!!!! D:

Well, you own it. Just rip it, and put it on a media server, or a USB stick or home-made DVD.

And I dunno if you got it answered, but P90X2 is meant for those that finished P90X.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My first time through I went from (at 6'0) 228 pounds to 208 without changing my diet at all. I then became unemployed, and by the time I had a physical for my new job I was back to 228. That was in April, and I have been eating better and did the "Couch to 5k" running program so I'd guess I am at 215 or so now (hopefully).

Starting P90x for a second time today and now that I am eating better as well I am hoping to get to my high school weight and hit 185 or less, that was 7 years ago. It's odd though, my face is a bit chubby, but other than that (with a shirt on) you'd never think I was overweight at all. I seem to have my grandpa's bone structure (he is very overweight now though, but in school he was just bulky).

New to this, I am thinking of working my way into it rather than ploughing headlong. Just did a session of ab ripper x after my regular 3 mile run, felt great after.

OG Kush

NoRéN said:
Definitely. If you follow the diet stuff, hell yes. Even if you don't, results will still be good. Stick to it and don't give up.
Sounds good.
Got a few more questions for people...
Protein shake: Whats the best routine for this? Should I take it everyday or just the weight lifting p90x days? Should I take before and after workout or just after?

Insanity with p90x: As I've only got 2 weeks left of insanity, people have been advising that I should replace the p90x cardio with Insanity but which Insanity workoout should I actually use? As in which one is the most intensive cardio? Theres quite a few Insanity videos and I don't know which one to choose (eg Plylo, Cardio condition etc) Also should I replace p90x plylo with Insanity max interval plylo or plyo cardio circiut?

Thanks! Sorry to be asking so many questions, I'm also guessing it would be best to find this stuff out at the beachbody forums yep?

Ydahs

OG Kush said:
Protein shake: Whats the best routine for this? Should I take it everyday or just the weight lifting p90x days? Should I take before and after workout or just after?
Also interested in this.

mm04

Ydahs said:
Also interested in this.

I'm no expert and this is just what my bro-in-law has done through his experience, but he does a 20g protein shake within 20 minutes of working out. So that's what I've been doing. Dude is a workout fiend, so I just take his word for it at this point.

About to finish my first "recovery week" and begin phase 2, and yeah, feels good man. I don't have a lot of bad weight to lose, but I have some flab I want to turn into muscle and I can already start seeing and feeling some of the results.

This thing is crazy empowering once you make the commitment. If you can just get past that first 2 weeks where every muscle is sore, things will start to look up. I get annoyed now if something comes up that interrupts my standard workout time and I can't even deal with an eliptical or stationary bike anymore because it's not intense enough of a workout.

OG Kush

mm04 said:
I'm no expert and this is just what my bro-in-law has done through his experience, but he does a 20g protein shake within 20 minutes of working out. So that's what I've been doing. Dude is a workout fiend, so I just take his word for it at this point.

About to finish my first "recovery week" and begin phase 2, and yeah, feels good man. I don't have a lot of bad weight to lose, but I have some flab I want to turn into muscle and I can already start seeing and feeling some of the results.

This thing is crazy empowering once you make the commitment. If you can just get past that first 2 weeks where every muscle is sore, things will start to look up. I get annoyed now if something comes up that interrupts my standard workout time and I can't even deal with an eliptical or stationary bike anymore because it's not intense enough of a workout.
I totally feeel you on this. Before Insanity the only cardio workout I did was the eliptical machine. Now when I try and do an eliptical machine its just so goddamn boring. Doing the same motion again and again.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The elliptical can still be a rough workout if you've got one that does resistance well. I wear my heart rate monitor and keep it between 140-150 for 45-60 minutes while I watch Netflix off the iPad.

Keep that baby on a solid resistance and you'll feel it. Much more mindless, but it allows me to catch up on TV shows I missed or documentaries. I finally got around to watching Firefly because of my elliptical (awesome show).

mm04

RubxQub said:
The elliptical can still be a rough workout if you've got one that does resistance well. I wear my heart rate monitor and keep it between 140-150 for 45-60 minutes while I watch Netflix off the iPad.

Keep that baby on a solid resistance and you'll feel it. Much more mindless, but it allows me to catch up on TV shows I missed or documentaries. I finally got around to watching Firefly because of my elliptical (awesome show).

Unfortunately, the resistance portion died and it's out of warranty. So the only choice is to vary your speed with the same resistance. But yeah, when it goes into the hill climbing phase, it's good stuff. I guess it's been so long that I've forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
On week 2 of my second time through P90x. Doing a more revised system this time and doing M-F only with Cardio X in place of yoga (since it has yoga, kenpo, etc).

Was sore as hell last week, but a lot better this week. I found plyo easier this time around but that is because I just finished "Couch to 5K" recently.

I need to weigh myself as I was 228 in April and know I've lost a good amount due to Couch to 5k, but haven't done so yet. I'd like to see how much I lose on p90x this time compared to the 20 lbs I lost last time.

Ydahs

Day one complete.

I think I got through the first half okay, but I really REALLY struggled when we repeated everything for the second time during chest and back. I think I'm okay fitness wise (been doing light plyo and HIIT a couple times a week for the past month or so) but it's been nearly a year since I've been to the gym, so hopefully I'll get much better with time.

Plyometrics tomorrow. Involves a lot of jumping so I'm gonna have to do it in my sun room and watch it on my laptop... looking forward to it though. Should be fun :D

About the diet: I am awful in the kitchen and don't really have the time (nor money) to make all these meals. Any else faced a similar situation but still lose a reasonable amount of weight? I mean, I know that that it won't be as effective, but as long as I eat responsibly, I should be fine right? Cut out all the sugary and fried foods, go low fat, eat more fruits and vegs and have small snacks in between meals. Sound okay?

Neifirst

Ydahs said:
Day one complete.

I think I got through the first half okay, but I really REALLY struggled when we repeated everything for the second time during chest and back. I think I'm okay fitness wise (been doing light plyo and HIIT a couple times a week for the past month or so) but it's been nearly a year since I've been to the gym, so hopefully I'll get much better with time.

Plyometrics tomorrow. Involves a lot of jumping so I'm gonna have to do it in my sun room and watch it on my laptop... looking forward to it though. Should be fun :D

About the diet: I am awful in the kitchen and don't really have the time (nor money) to make all these meals. Any else faced a similar situation but still lose a reasonable amount of weight? I mean, I know that that it won't be as effective, but as long as I eat responsibly, I should be fine right? Cut out all the sugary and fried foods, go low fat, eat more fruits and vegs and have small snacks in between meals. Sound okay?

I'm on day 80 and I've been very diligent about the diet aspect, even though I don't follow the ones in the P90x guide. I buy a lot of chicken breast and pre-made hamburger from Walmart and freeze it, taking out only what I need. For vegetables/greens, I buy a lot of bagged salad, broccoli, etcetera, and for fruit, mostly grapefruit. I make other stuff here and there for variety, but these foods are simple to prepare and take little to no time to make.

started classic after being off several months. on day 2 and holy shit. my legs are heavy. couldn't even finish plyo properly lol. i didn't want to gag but it was hard so i had to do lots of the modified moves half way. actually i was heavy breathing during warmup lol. should be fine next week lol.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I bought some bands to use but I'm weary that they will not give me the same results as using regular weights. Do I have anything to worry about?

Also might be a stupid question but can you combine two bands to add more weight, the highest resistance one of them has is 20 lbs, and I'm closely reaching the point where those are becoming easier to do.

mm04

Marius_ said:
I bought some bands to use but I'm weary that they will not give me the same results as using regular weights. Do I have anything to worry about?

Also might be a stupid question but can you combine two bands to add more weight, the highest resistance one of them has is 20 lbs, and I'm closely reaching the point where those are becoming easier to do.

Just started week 5. I use a combination of free weights, bands and a pull-up bar (get a pull-up revolution, you won't regret it).

I combine bands, depending on what I'm doing. If I'm simulating pull-ups, I've used all 4 bands I own at once. Bodylastics stuff is good for that. Definitely helps with adding resistance. The simple trick for curls, tricep exercises etc is just to step on the band closer to the hand holds or loop it. If you shorten the length you have to pull, you'll get more tension.

I always scan through the dvd beforehand, if I've never done the routine. Give myself an idea of what weights and bands I want to use to minimize downtime between exercises. That way you don't end up using something too light of weight or resistance and you won't break your rhythm and have to pause during the routine.

Pollux

Did P-90X halfway through a few months ago but quit do to medical crap. Now I'm healthy and ready to start. Even got my girlfriend willing to try it. We start Monday at 6am. She's actually pretty excited. She never really liked exercise but she wants to get in shape and tone up so she can wear some "cuter outfits" as she puts it.

I'm just looking forward to losing the weight I put on when I tore my achilles a couple years ago. I'll keep ya updated.

Le-mo

I started P90X again after quitting a few months back. I just finished day 4 doing the lean program. I replaced Yoga X with Plyometrics and only finished about 3/4 of the workout due to pain in my quads from the previous workouts. Back and legs tomorrow!

SteveWD40

Question: Where does the chest get it's work? Push ups?

I am essentially trying to come up with a workout routine for my gym, I don't want to work out at home so getting the p90x program and DVD's are not for me, but I like the idea of mainly using my own resistance etc...

I like the gym as it's a good place for me to focus, I have cardio and stretching down, I can even do the Strength and Conditioning class at my friends MMA gym if needs be, but I was wondering how the chest gets it's work in this program.

Ydahs

Day 3 done.

Plyo and Shoulders/Arms are very manageable. Managed to get through both, but I did have to decrease the weights during a couple of shoulder exercises. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can manage 5kg weights throughout the hour.

Day one was by far the hardest, probably because I never really worked on my chest and back prior to this.

I've been hearing that a lot of people hate Yoga. Just how hard is it? Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Neifirst

I didn't like it at first, but it was more due to lack of familiarity with the routine. Once you know what's coming, it really becomes a beneficial day, particularly the Yoga belly 7 towards the end. Try not to get too frustrated with some of the moves at the 35-40 minute mark - they're pretty advanced and I'm sure it's not unusual to be a little lost the first couple of times.

Le-mo

Ydahs said:
Day 3 done.

Plyo and Shoulders/Arms are very manageable. Managed to get through both, but I did have to decrease the weights during a couple of shoulder exercises. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can manage 5kg weights throughout the hour.

Day one was by far the hardest, probably because I never really worked on my chest and back prior to this.

I've been hearing that a lot of people hate Yoga. Just how hard is it? Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
The reason I don't do Yoga is because it is way too long, more than 2 hours. With the program I am doing I decided to replace it with Plyo since I want to burn more calories.

mm04

Ydahs said:
Day 3 done.

I quit out of Yoga for awhile and replaced it with Cardio-X. BUT, after doing some reading, I've given it another chance. Yes, it's long. What I do now, is the first 45 minutes, I skip the balance poses and I do the Yoga Belly 7 stuff and everything after that. That's at about the 17 minutes left mark. So it's roughly an hour. I'll stick with that for now and maybe I'll eventually do the entire 90 minute routine one of these days.

Le-mo

SteveWD40 said:
Question: Where does the chest get it's work? Push ups?

I am essentially trying to come up with a workout routine for my gym, I don't want to work out at home so getting the p90x program and DVD's are not for me, but I like the idea of mainly using my own resistance etc...

I like the gym as it's a good place for me to focus, I have cardio and stretching down, I can even do the Strength and Conditioning class at my friends MMA gym if needs be, but I was wondering how the chest gets it's work in this program.
The chest workout is all push ups. Different variations of it.

Ydahs

Yoga complete.

I like it. No, I love it.

The challenge is the fun part. The fact that there were a couple of exercises I couldn't do made me want to do it again.

The first 35 minutes were pretty easy. I'm flexible around the hips so that helps. The next ten minutes were hard but the one where you hold yourself up with your hands was impossible. I want to be able to do it. I will be able to do it!

After that the balance part was okay. Loved the one where you're legs are up in the air and are basically on your shoulders.

Also, the fact that I could finally straighten my legs during the ab exercises clearly shows why this is one of the most important exercises to me. Will help a lot in sport.

I love you p90x.

Top Bottom