• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

GDGF said:
I saw that kid on Dateline NBC or some such a few weeks ago. He was a freaking marvel, clicking about during karate sparing deflecting blows and whatnot. Nice gift, but I don't think echolocation works in the virtual plane. No offense to him or anything, but I'm sure she could have thought of a much more useful gift.

All sources of news does say he loves video games and he said he wants to be a game designer on the Ellen show so... :/

Captain N

I think the Mii would be awesome if you unlock parts when you play new games. Like you might get a Green hat when you play Zelda.

instead of achievements they should have Mii unlockables.

TheWolf

Banned
seriously though, i doubt Retro went from zero multi mode, to full blown online Hunters type mode. i know it's been delayed, but it's going to be delayed for a LONG time if that's the case.

Sanjuro

Not to crash the Wii lovefest...but no matter how much fanfare this has generated on the internet let Snakes on a Plane be a reminder that the internet is only worth $11 million dollars.

I'm a huge Nintendo supporter, but the "gamers" at my work that call the Wii the "fag system" is still overwhealming. As any Nintendo console I'm taking the plunge, but I hope they become a name in the business again as the DS as certainly helped them re-gain.

NomarTyme

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Not to crash the Wii lovefest...but no matter how much fanfare this has generated on the internet let Snakes on a Plane be a reminder that the internet is only worth $11 million dollars.

I'm a huge Nintendo supporter, but the "gamers" at my work that call the Wii the "fag system" is still overwhealming. As any Nintendo console I'm taking the plunge, but I hope they become a name in the business again as the DS as certainly helped them re-gain.

Oh man!:lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Smiles and Cries said:
All sources of news does say he loves video games and he said he wants to be a game designer on the Ellen show so... :/

Well damn! Maybe it does work. Flawless memory + an awesome surround sound system?

(I need to stop before I get warped to the 7th level of Hell)

BooJoh

bridegur said:
Is the baseball in Wii Sports just batting, or the whole game?
From the press kit:

• Baseball (1-2 players): Players grip the Wii Remote like a bat and swat fastballs out of the park, or fire a fastball over the plate with a flick of their wrist. Timing and bat speed will make all the difference between going yard and whiffing, so keep an eye on the ball and swing for the fences. In the two-player game, one player pitches and the other bats – all fielding and running is automatic, so that players can focus on the action.

And in case anyone is curious:

• Tennis (1-4 players): Players grab the Wii Remote like a racket and swing – the game registers forehands, backhands, volleys, lobs, slices, spin and power depending on how fast the user swings and at what angle. Don’t worry about moving around the court to get to the ball – the game automatically moves players into position.
• Golf (1-4 players): Step up to the tee, hold the Wii Remote like a golf club and swing naturally to smack the ball onto the green. The harder players swing the club, the farther the ball will fly. Be careful, though – if players swing too hard, their ball will fly out of control, so they should be sure to take some practice swings before going for the pin. After reaching the green, line up putts carefully, practice the stroke and try to hole out.
• Bowling (1-4 players): Players raise the Wii Remote in their hand just like a bowling ball, and then swing their arms to roll the ball. The speed of the swing and the angle at which they release the ball affects the ball’s spin, so it will take some practice to master control over the ball and knock down the pins.
• Boxing (1-2 players): Using the Nunchuk™ controller as one glove and the Wii Remote as the other, players dodge, weave and punch their opponents. Players hold their hands high to guard their faces or low to block their torsos. They punch high to hit their opponents’ faces or low to get under their guard for a body blow. Swing both arms left or right to sidestep oncoming blows and move into position for a devastating knockout.

Mr. E. Yis said:
From what I saw of the gameplay videos, it includes pitching too. (2 player)

It's definite that the 1 A/V outlet (hole) on the back of the Wii can be used for either component, svideo, or composite cables. I don't know who said that it includes a 3-in-1 cable. This issue, along with the region lock out issue, needs an OFFICIAL stance, probably from Iwata, so we can definitely know what's the deal. This "he said she said" thing is crap.
I just got a straightforward answer on the region encoding. Both the systems and Nintendo games will be region encoded.

Chris Remo said:
I just got a straightforward answer on the region encoding. Both the systems and Nintendo games will be region encoded.

What about online stuff ? I mean, if I get a US Wii, do I get to access the American service, or am I screwed ?

chase

Aft Dread Pressure said:
What about online stuff ? I mean, if I get a US Wii, do I get to access the American service, or am I screwed ?

Good question. Also, what about points? If I buy a US system, do I have to buy point cards in the US, or can I use ones from the UK?

ndreamer

Chris Remo said:
wtf, we need an offical answer soon this is nuts. gamespot just said it was in.

Rocked

Ooh, pretty devkit.

wiigreen.jpg

wiigreen3.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
Error2k4 said:
that just speculation.

It says quite clearly that he said he is working on a Wii game for an unnounced publisher...

1UP said:
At Nintendo's Wii press conference in Tokyo today, Yasumi Matsuno, director of Final Fantasy XII (well, until he left the project midway through its development) and other popular RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle, stated that he is developing for the Wii and expressed his love for the platform.
As part of a video segment of developers praising the new Nintendo console, Matsuno stated he's a recent convert to the Wii. "The Wii controller makes total sense when you think about FPS-like games, but my question was, will the controls fit other existing games?" he asked himself, no doubt thinking of RPGs. "However, when I first tried Mario Galaxy, I realized that the controller fit the game almost scarily well. It allows you to intuitively feel the game and its atmosphere."

Matsuno also mentioned that he agrees with Nintendo's stance of gameplay over graphics. "Graphics (these days) have evolved, and there are many games claiming that this generates a more realistic atmosphere. However, there are very few games that have a control interface that lives up to this atmosphere. With the Wii controller you can actually feel like you're touching or living in this atmosphere."

Matsuno, who pulled a Dave Chappell and quit Square-Enix midway through Final Fantasy XII's development and kind of went into seclusion, is working on his Wii ideas for a new game developer (though which one has yet to be revealed).

HisBrother said:
Needs more shiny. If the images and videos i've been viewing aren't lying to me the white and black Wii are very shiny. Face plates would be nice.

Lack of shine or general visual appeal is pretty common for devkits...especially Nintendo ones. No need to read into it. I'm actually kind of impressed they didn't ship them in dull 80's grey as normal.

Nameless

GDGF said:
It says quite clearly that he said he is working on a Wii game for an unnounced publisher...

Best Wii related news by far IMO... Just as long as he is makign something compelling not some quirky hybrid puzzle game.

Crazymoogle said:
Lack of shine or general visual appeal is pretty common for devkits...especially Nintendo ones. No need to read into it. I'm actually kind of impressed they didn't ship them in dull 80's grey as normal.

A while back on IGN, they posted pics of the first Wiimote and nunchuck from the dev kits and they were in the grey colour. I guess Nintendo had time to make the dev kits prettier.

Jiggy

Synbios459 said:
Do you think the Wii will have problems competing with the Core 360?
There aren't that many core 360s compared to premiums, and I can only imagine Microsoft is going to shift progressively in favor of that. Same reason the premium 360 won't have a problem with the gimped PS3.

effzee

wow both zelda and excite truck looked pretty good. obviously zelda continues to amaze me. i cant wait to play it....it just seems like TOOT all over but better.

and excite truck i remember didnt look this good at e3.

BOB ROSS PAINTING WII NEWS:

For anyone interested about this game, here's some news. AGFRAG Entertainment got a licence in March from Bob Ross Inc. to develop this game, but they have to find a publisher by the end of this month. Early this month they were at Bob Ross headquarters figuring out the legal stuff and to finalize plans.

They haven't started developing it yet, but they've been trying to find the best way to incorporate the aspects of gameplay. Such as using Bob Ross' likeness/voice, versus mode, online play, game 'rewards' and progression, etc. This is why you haven't seen any screens yet - no one has started making it yet!

So if AGFRAG doesn't find a publisher that it likes by 9/30, Bob Ross Inc will find another developer to make it, as soon as they can, since they also want this game done ASAP. We'll hear a definite answer in the next few weeks.

(This is all from the developer's website (agfrag.com) and their yahoo group.)

Top Bottom