• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

dreamkats

phatmike128 said:
http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5062

I'm not sure if people have seen this, but its an interview Perrin did on the day where right near the end she seems pretty damn definite that the wii is region free.

Has nintendo officially commented at all on this? for being the VP, she sounded pretty confident there..

Yarton was also the guy that said Nintendo DS won't be redesigned 3 days before NCL announced DS Lite's launch IIRC

Gio_CoD

Banned
citrus lump said:
Not really too much more to read.

1.Nintendo shoots self in foot.
2.GAF am cry.

Did I miss anything?
Do you honestly not have anything better to do than troll Nintendo threads? For a company that shot themself in the foot, the Wii seems to have a whole train load of hype riding behind it. Amazon had to shut down their preorders in what, an hour?

dreamkats said:
Yarton was also the guy that said Nintendo DS won't be redesigned 3 days before NCL announced DS Lite's launch IIRC

see...this guy may not know shit, or he's covering it so the europeans dont import. I think it was covered a few pages back actually. It's just wierd how perrin was totally sure that it is region free, and he's sure it's not.

we need reggie or iwata to tell us the truth

Pureauthor said:
I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I?

Seriously, that was a pretty lousy comeback.

See, if I'd said "Am I missing anything?" his "a brain" comeback would've made sense.

Since I didn't phrase it that way, clearly it's his brain that is missing.

MrPonx

two questions i can't find a solid answer for... and I won't go through all 5k replies to find out, so please help me out

1. Is the Wii region free?
2. Does it come with component cables?

thanks in advance

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
Haleon said:
Do you honestly not have anything better to do than troll Nintendo threads? For a company that shot themself in the foot, the Wii seems to have a whole train load of hype riding behind it. Amazon had to shut down their preorders in what, an hour?

Holy shit, when did the Amazon pre-orders go up? That's awesome! Go Wii!

And thanks for the clarification on the marble game guys. It does look pretty cool.

MrPonx said:
two questions i can't find a solid answer for... and I won't go through all 5k replies to find out, so please help me out

thanks in advance

1.No
2.No

Gio_CoD

Banned
Maximilian said:
Holy shit, when did the Amazon pre-orders go up? That's awesome! Go Wii!

And thanks for the clarification on the marble game guys. It does look pretty cool.
They went up on Friday, someone posted a thread about it here, and by the time the thread hit the third page the preorders had already closed. I'm glad I snagged one of 'em.

Gio_CoD

Banned
citrus lump said:
Gamecubes hard to find in your area?
drum-set.jpg

Ba dum CHHH

bachikarn

MrPonx said:

thanks in advance

1. It might. Looks like NOA is saying yes and NOE is saying no. Wait for further confirmation.
2. nope

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii is sold out on Amazon.fr as well. I'd better preorder one elsewhere to avoid a cruel disappointment.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Looks like citrus lump got the ban. I can understand not being excited about the Wii, but Jesus, that dude acts like Nintendo punched his mom in the face.

Amazon UK isn't yet taking pre-orders but they have a contents list, and the mysterious stand plate is on there. WHAT IS IT??
Box Contents
# Wii Console (white)
# Wii Remote with strap
# Nunchuk
# Wii AC Adapter
# Wii Stereo AV Cable
# Wii Stand
# Wii Stand Plate
# Wii Sensor Bar
# Sensor Bar Stand
# AA Battery
# Wii Sports game (baseball, tennis, bowling, boxing, golf)
# Instructions

Gio_CoD

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Amazon UK isn't yet taking pre-orders but they have a contents list, and the mysterious stand plate is on there. WHAT IS IT??
Is the stand plate not just the stand that the Wii sits in?

EDIT

Whoops, somehow I missed the stand listing right above it.

Haleon said:
Is the stand plate not just the stand that the Wii sits in?

EDIT

Whoops, somehow I missed the stand listing right above it.
nope as you state its something else. But i aint seen it, but even Nintendo's site states it comes with it??

Gio_CoD

Banned
You know what it probably is? It's probably just a 2 inch circlular disk with a vertical ridge that inserts into the bottom of the stand to keep it from tipping over to either side.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Haleon said:
You know what it probably is? It's probably just a 2 inch circlular disk with a vertical ridge that inserts into the bottom of the stand to keep it from tipping over to either side.

Then what is the stand for?

Wasnt Citrus Lamp a serious Nintendo supporter? And now he has transformed into a constant anti - Nintendo troll? LOL, talk about fanatism. I lost a fellow Nintendo supporter last week too. Now he cant stop bickering about Nintendo. The reason? He has been a one console owner since ever, and he cant afford more than one to be honest. He cant stand Nintendo decision to put out an underperforming machine, cause hell be stuck with gamecube ++ graphics. On the other hand, he really only likes Nintendo games, so yeah, theres no easy solution of that.

While hes slowly moving camp, two casual/typical ps2 owners just decided to buy a Wii. They cant even understand the graphical difference, or they dont really mind since the console is competent enough. All these extra features and it's exciting differences have made them day one purchasers, the first havent bought a Nintendo console ever and the second has never been a multi-console owner, but amazingly they BOTH think that Wii is really cheap considering how expensive everything else is. Nintendo will prove to be sneaky bastards

Amir0x

Banned
However, I am very, very dissapointed with the sword fighting. While it will not necessarily make the game harder or more difficult to play, it is, in my eyes, nothing but an after thought and very gimmicky. All you have to do is "button mash", or, flick your wrist like no other, and Link will slash as you please.

There is no 1:1 control, meaning, Link's sword doesn't do what you do. He had exactly one slash animation for "slashes". I tried swinging every which way possible, and he slash the same way. There is also a "forward stab". The shield jab is also present, which you do by moving your Nunchuk forward, and doing a Jump Attack is still pressing "A" when you Z-target an enemy. The downthrust is no longer a "down stab" with the Wii Controller. You must press A when the game prompts you. The spin attack is also the same, you just shake your Nunchuk back and forth.

Additionally, in the demo, the ability to manually controlt he camera by holding the Z button, and then moving the fairy cursor, has been removed. I did, however, discover that Link can go into first-person mode by pressing the C button. However, this is also problematic. The fairy cursor can move your angle, as well as the analog stick. Until I realized this, I was having a hard time moving the camera around. You either have to just use the fairy cursor, or hold it in neutral (straight at center of screen) and then use analog.'

Gamecube superiority confirmed over and over.

wave-E

Banned
One quick note, as I'm not seeing it anywhere else.
The wiimote (which they insisted may not be the final version yadda yadda) used two double A batteries and registered itself to a system through a little red button inside the battery compartment. You press something on the wii itself then hit the red button and they sync.

wave-E

Banned
Amir0x said:
Gamecube superiority confirmed over and over.
Yes, but it should be noted that this is coming from a guy that's put some 25,000 hours into Ocarina of Time alone, and that while the sword swinging is gimmicky as hell, it is better than the e3 setup. Nothing was hard to do, but it'll be a real "button masher" when fighting for most people. Also, the way it handled first person and boomerang shows promise for future games.

Amir0x

Banned
wave-E said:
Yes, but it should be noted that this is coming from a guy that's put some 25,000 hours into Ocarina of Time alone, and that while the sword swinging is gimmicky as hell, it is better than the e3 setup. Nothing was hard to do, but it'll be a real "button masher" when fighting for most people. Also, the way it handled first person and boomerang shows promise for future games.

well, i didn't put 25,000 hours into Ocarina of Time (HOLY SHIT WHAT DID HE DO IN ALL THAT TIME JESUS CHRIST MY MIND IS MELTING TRYING TO FATHOM JUST HOW INTRICATELY HE KNOWS THE GAME MY GOD) but it sounds lame as hell from what I can see. I just hope that the first real Zelda game for Wii, the one built for the ground up for the system, can really find a feasible middle ground that feels right

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
From a Mathieu Minel's interview:
"En jouant, on peut consulter la météo ou encore envoyer un SMS à l'un de ses amis pour l'inviter à une partie de Wii Sports. Ces services ont été bien étudiés pour leur fonctionnalité."

Translation: "The system allows you to look at the meteo, or send a SMS to a friend to invite him play Wii Sports. These services have been well studied for their functionality."

So you can send a SMS to a friend to tell him you're playing Wii Sports. Does that mean Wii Sports is an online game (or did he mean you can invite your friend to... your house?!?)(why is that you can never tell with Nintendo?)

wave-E

Banned
Amir0x said:
well, i didn't put 25,000 hours into Ocarina of Time (HOLY SHIT WHAT DID HE DO IN ALL THAT TIME JESUS CHRIST MY MIND IS MELTING TRYING TO FATHOM JUST HOW INTRICATELY HE KNOWS THE GAME MY GOD) but it sounds lame as hell from what I can see. I just hope that the first real Zelda game for Wii, the one built for the ground up for the system, can really find a feasible middle ground that feels right
He's a zelda speed runner. Holds the record for a number of games.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Moving the wiimote to make link swing his sword was never going to be revolutionary. Nintendo did it just to make better use of the wiimote. The person who worte the negative comments about the sword fighting was probably expecting a lot more.

Its not going to make any difference to the gameplay, the only difference is that instead of pressing a button you have to move the wiimote. Some people are going to complain about it and say that its going to tire your arms, but its not like you have to make massive swings with the wiimote, a small movement with your wrist is enough to make Link slash.

Amir0x

Banned
To confirm to everyone, seasons change in the fishing area. I saw the leaves change from brown/green to white to pink. Night and day changed as well, and the weather changed. I had it rain on me while fishing.

Jesus, how fast does seasons and weather change if he managed to see it happen in just a short fishing demo?

Krowley

marc^o^ said:
From a Mathieu Minet's interview:
"En jouant, on peut consulter la météo ou encore envoyer un SMS à l'un de ses amis pour l'inviter à une partie de Wii Sports. Ces services ont été bien étudiés pour leur fonctionnalité."

Translation: "The system allows you to look at the meteo, or send a SMS to a friend to invite him play Wii Sports. These services have been created for their functionality."

So you can send a SMS to a friend to tell him you're playing Wii Sports. Does that mean Wii Sports is an online game (or did he mean you can invite your friend to... your house?!?)(why is that you can never tell with Nintendo?)

heh, maybe they're holding out for one more big surprise... If wii sports was online, it's value would sky rocket.

Probably isn't though. I can't see any reason for them not to just go ahead and reveal it. unless it's going to be a last minute addition and they're not sure if they can get it implemented in time.

Jesus, how fast does seasons and weather change if he managed to see it happen in just a short fishing demo?

Short fishing DEMO. It was probably accelerated so u can see all the subtle lighting and color changes

As for the sword fighting, i go by the gamespot. ign and some 1-up impressions, which found it entertaining and satisfying. Flicks of the wrist for fighting neither seem to brake or make the game. Instead theyre an alternative to a button pressing. I dont really care which action is it. Bow targeting and virtual fishing on the other hand...

fabprems

marc^o^ said:
From a Mathieu Minel's interview:

Translation: "The system allows you to look at the meteo, or send a SMS to a friend to invite him play Wii Sports. These services have been well studied for their functionality."

I ask the same question to myself and then I went to the Wii.com, in the channels' presentation you can find :

Wii Message Board

Forget hand-scrawled notes tacked to the refrigerator door. Users can leave messages for other family members on a calendar-based message board. They also can use WiiConnect24 to send messages to people outside the home as well. Even better, people can trade photos and text messages with cell phone users. The service also allows for incoming messages targeted at software, such as a new map or weapon for a game. Games can constantly be updated, thereby extending their playability.
http://wii.nintendo.com/channel.html

So yeah, I think Nintendo will implement some stuff like SMS in their game.

Xrenity

Amir0x said:
He probably spent 25,000 hours.

It's kind of worrying though. The sword slashing still looks ok to me, probably needs some time, but the camera thing sounds like crap.

I want to turn the camera around Link without him moving with it anyway.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Krowley said:
heh, maybe they're holding out for one more big surprise... If wii sports was online, it's value would sky rocket.

Probably isn't though. I can't see any reason for them not to just go ahead and reveal it. unless it's going to be a last minute addition and they're not sure if they can get it implemented in time.
It seems pointless not to have mentioned it with all the other info they released. By this stage they must have figured out wether they will inclue online play, it seems to late to make any last minute additions, the release is in less than 2 months.

If Nintendo wont include online play for wii sports then they are making a massive mistake. Wii sports will be a big success. Its simple, its fun and its something that nearly anyone can pick up and be good at. This is a game that is perfect for online gaming.

Top Bottom